PDA

View Full Version : Halo 3 Sniper Rifle for Halo CE.

Hunter
August 4th, 2007, 12:58 PM
i am editing the old sniper rifle because i am crap at modeling but this model is good for me. It isnt finnished yet that is why there are errors in the faces so dont start flaming me straight away.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/H3Sniper.png
Update: 9:50, 04 August
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/H3Sniper4.png
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/H3Sniper3.png
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/H3Sniper2.png

kenney001
August 4th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Looks amazing so far. keep it up, add alot more detail.

TeeKup
August 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM
My only concern is the compensator. It isn't exactly accurate by the looks of it. Everything else looks great! Proper proportions and everything.

ICEE
August 4th, 2007, 02:07 PM
that looks good. most important part is the FP animations though, make sure you copy those well

Hunter
August 4th, 2007, 03:33 PM
yeah, and thanks. im very very very susprised that people actualy like it. thanks for the support. i made that with just one reference that i why its not perfect yet, but i managed to get another shot of it. i am going to add more detail i just dont want to make it to high poly. i was going to use bitmaps for some details. i will try 2 texture it my self first if i cant i might need help from someone lyk DANO. and im going to make the proper animations n stuff.

Con
August 4th, 2007, 04:26 PM
too wide, look at the clip especially. Handle also odd looking.

Jay2645
August 4th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Looks nice. My only complaints are the scope needs to be smoothed a little (I think you're working on that) and it's too wide.

TeeKup
August 4th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I take back what I said about proportions. Far too wide.

SnaFuBAR
August 4th, 2007, 09:43 PM
gross. keep the original proportions. i mean, it's an easy modification but you butchered it.

Limited
August 4th, 2007, 10:03 PM
gross. keep the original proportions. i mean, it's an easy modification but you butchered it.Oh come on it isnt as bad as your saying it is snaf :D

I think its pretty good, not perfect yet, a few things arnet right like the scale of some parts, in that picture you ave of the h3 sniper, yours are bigger. But its still good dude, keep going! :D

t3h m00kz
August 4th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Not bad looking. Hope to see this skinned and animated sometime, it'd be pretty cool ;)

Hunter
August 5th, 2007, 05:13 AM
i will fix the problems everyone has suggested. thanks.

Tweek
August 5th, 2007, 06:00 AM
it's an almost-decent model wich looks like the H3 sniper.
but that's it.

it's not "good" or anything.
keep practicing kk

Elite Killa
August 5th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Tough crowd, tough crowd...

I think it looks nice, but as conscars said, a bit too wide.

Hunter
August 5th, 2007, 11:31 AM
i have made it thinner and now i am adding more detail and remakin more stuff so its scaled right, what wud help is a pic of it from the left hand side, right hand side, front, back, top and bottem but i aint that lucky lol.

Update... 7:40 05 August
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/H3Sniper6.png
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/H3Sniper5.png
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/H3Sniper7.png

Jay2645
August 5th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Looks a lot nicer now, keep it up!

Hunter
August 5th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Update... 9:08 05 August
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/H3Sniper7.png
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/H3SniperRiflePose.png
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/H3SniperRiflePose2.png
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/H3SniperRiflePose3.png

More suggestions welcome and needed please. and if anyone has any more references they will be helpful thank-you.

SnaFuBAR
August 5th, 2007, 03:16 PM
still too fat. what don't you understand about "keep the original proportions"??

Dole
August 5th, 2007, 09:22 PM
My only concern is the compensator.
*Muzzlebrake. Compensator is the corresponding device on a pistol.

While we're on the subject of firearm anatomy, what's the stabilizer behind the bipod called, and how does it work?

Haloking365
August 5th, 2007, 09:35 PM
*Muzzlebrake. Compensator is the corresponding device on a pistol.

While we're on the subject of firearm anatomy, what's the stabilizer behind the bipod called, and how does it work?

Im pretty sure that thats a carry handle. Like on the 82A1 Barrett i believe. I know that SAW's have carry handles as well.

Bastinka
August 5th, 2007, 09:38 PM
still too fat. what don't you understand about "keep the original proportions"??
Yeah, anyway a wireframe render would be nice.:)

AAA
August 5th, 2007, 10:40 PM
The Ammo clip is a bit too thick. The handle with the trigger on it needs a little work. Other than that,
http://liveu-s-85.vo.llnwd.net/flurl/media2/gif/2007/8/5/FLURL-dot-com-269098_Sexy.gif?e=1186380000&h=bde4b942f7a62f42bd245958997bb23a.gif

Veegie
August 6th, 2007, 03:35 AM
No, I believe he understood it, as it's a very simple concept to comprehend.
I believe he just made a mistake...

Hunter
August 6th, 2007, 04:52 AM
how do i get a wireframe shot?

teh lag
August 6th, 2007, 10:45 AM
how do i get a wireframe shot?

Rendering > render on the top menu. Go to the renderer tab, and click on force wireframe.

Hunter
August 6th, 2007, 10:57 AM
thnks teh lag

Amit
August 6th, 2007, 11:12 AM
The handle still looks too blocky and it cuts off abruptly at the bottom, see if you can fix that.

Hunter
August 6th, 2007, 02:33 PM
has anyone got any side views of the h3 sniper or anything like that? and i am looking for a experianced skinner who can make textures for it from scratch and look exactly like the H3 sniper, if you are up to it then PM me with pictures of recent work.

ICY
August 6th, 2007, 03:43 PM
i like it, keep up the good work

Bastinka
August 6th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Still waiting on a wireframe. :|

Hunter
August 7th, 2007, 06:28 AM
yh, im need to tidy the faces up a bit before i get you a wire frame, hopefuly i can get you one l8r.

Leiukemia
August 7th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Seems decent enough, I haven't really looked at the h3 sniper, but the modelling part seems alright. Though, you didn't make it from scratch so it's hard to give you too much credit. An ok remodel lets say. Also, looks like some smoothing groups could be better defined, like on the front of the scope and on the barrel.

PenGuin1362
August 7th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Im pretty sure that thats a carry handle. Like on the 82A1 Barrett i believe. I know that SAW's have carry handles as well.

...uh why the hell would you carry your rifle upside down. i think that's just a hand grip. kinda odd but anyway i just don't like your model. period. i guess we could start with the fact you used the original sniper model, and it has poor proportions, and just lacks detail. if you're gunna redo it, do it better. bungie's looks good cause they have bump maps and such. we don't have that. it's just plain ugly to me.

Hunter
August 8th, 2007, 01:20 PM
bungies is very high poly, we have multipurpose maps that can fake bump maps. no detail cuz of poly count, theres something called texture effects to add detail.

SnaFuBAR
August 8th, 2007, 01:30 PM
excuses suck.

FRain
August 8th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Yes, but I don't see any of your 716497364719634761967348509689074837958496504799 poly models getting ingame. Correct me if I'm wrong.

SnaFuBAR
August 8th, 2007, 01:58 PM
you're entirely wrong. ALL of my completed models have gone ingame.

FRain
August 8th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Okay.

SnaFuBAR
August 8th, 2007, 02:47 PM
i bet that thing isn't even 2k triangles.

Tweek
August 8th, 2007, 03:08 PM
bungies is very high poly, we have multipurpose maps that can fake bump maps. no detail cuz of poly count, theres something called texture effects to add detail.

the average 1st person model in your AVERAGE mediocre game is 5k optimised.
the AAA-titles have things going up to 8k.

you suck at excuses

(optimised means they've gotten rid of ALL the unseen elements, so the polys are in the model are ALL polys you will see.)

PenGuin1362
August 8th, 2007, 11:32 PM

what? like hell it is. have you seen their wire frames for even the h3 ones? all the minor detail is in the bump maps. fake bumps are ugly as fuck. the bungie sniper rifle is like hardly 2k tris (haven't looked recently)

and those textures make your gun look flat with no detail. therefore, your gun will look like shit.

and you can't bitch about poly count seeing as how my 10k tris M4 went into the game perfectly and runs perfectly smooth with animations and all.

FRain
August 8th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Owned by penguin. +rep.

Hunter
August 9th, 2007, 05:08 AM
ok, im just a simple box modeler because i dont know how 2 plane model, so my models arnt the best, i aint even good at modeling, this model is probobly luck. lets just wait and see if i get it in-game when i release my map with it in, saves all of the arguing that the halo ce community likes to do.

Hunter
August 13th, 2007, 07:54 AM
what? like hell it is. have you seen their wire frames for even the h3 ones? all the minor detail is in the bump maps. fake bumps are ugly as fuck. the bungie sniper rifle is like hardly 2k tris (haven't looked recently)

and those textures make your gun look flat with no detail. therefore, your gun will look like shit.

and you can't bitch about poly count seeing as how my 10k tris M4 went into the game perfectly and runs perfectly smooth with animations and all.

^ i did not know that a high poly model will not slow game play down, i always thought it wud, so i will put alot more detail on.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

i have started to texture it now, but i aint very good at doing this sort of thing, anyone who is good at makin textures then please make a post on this topic showing recent work, only if you are willing to help me.

Berkut
August 13th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Learn to do it yourself, if I could actually skin I wouldn't touch that with a 10-foot stick. You, on the other hand... well, only if it was sharp and smeared with something highly toxic.

Hunter
August 13th, 2007, 10:46 AM
i have tryed to learn, if someone can link me to a good tutorial then i might try again, because i have been trying 4 age snow and i cant find any good tutorials.

Ki11a_FTW
August 13th, 2007, 05:01 PM
you're entirely wrong. ALL of my completed models have gone ingame.

ooo snaf models+ingame = MUST POST PICS :lol:

SnaFuBAR
August 13th, 2007, 05:04 PM
maybe if halo would stop crashing :smith:

Bastinka
August 13th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Turn off aimbot snaf, eh? :p

No, if you really want a decent model try it with plane modelling. Also, for textures it's pretty hard to learn.. I'm trying and I started out with simple photoshops and slightly getting better. Use the burn tool and that dodge tool (I think it's the dodge tool.) to make scratches and whatnot.

SnaFuBAR
August 13th, 2007, 11:30 PM
my mac11 was my first skin ever... well... then again... i do have a background in art and design :-3

Ki11a_FTW
August 13th, 2007, 11:38 PM
maybe if halo would stop crashing :smith:

send me the map :haw:

SnaFuBAR
August 14th, 2007, 05:10 AM
you so wish :-3

DaneO'Roo
August 14th, 2007, 05:47 AM
bungies is very high poly, no, not really we have multipurpose maps that can fake bump maps. what? no detail cuz of poly count, theres something called texture effects to add detail.and who on earth is going to provide those "texture effects"

responses in bold

Hunter
August 14th, 2007, 06:07 AM
i managed to make the barrel texture very quickly and it isnt finnished and its completly crap but the texture makes it look like the barrel has got those grooves in it when realy its just a plane tube.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/barrel.png
and before anyone says, i know the start of the barrel has got doggy faces.

Hunter
August 14th, 2007, 09:16 AM
dont do what.

SMASH
August 14th, 2007, 10:13 AM
dont do what.

WOW. Take off the ridges from the barrel. They are unnecessary and a complete waste of polies. Use the polies you gain from there in the scope and receiver.

Hunter
August 14th, 2007, 10:59 AM
i havnt put them in the model, that is a texture.

Tweek
August 14th, 2007, 12:15 PM
ross, that´s a fail right there.

fail

Dole
August 14th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Take off the ridges from the barrel. They are unnecessary and a complete waste of polies.
Those ridges are texture-only; the barrel itself is just a tube... I can't see how you managed to overlook the first sentence in his post. :eyesroll:

Amit
August 14th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Those ridges are texture-only; the barrel itself is just a tube... I can't see how you managed to overlook the first sentence in his post. :eyesroll:

I'm wondering the same...I guess most people just look at the pictures and try to degrade them.

fatso784
August 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I'm wondering the same...I guess most people just look at the pictures and try to degrade them.

That sniper looks like crap!! The barrel's all f***ed up, it looks like its wearing a prison outfit! And what did you do to the edges? Have you ever heard of smoothing groups?! WTF are you doing to the H3 Sniper? I can't freaking believe this. :lol:

SMASH
August 14th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Really? Your a fucking smart ass. Whether or not the ridges were modeled or textured, they still looked like crap, and you can't deny it. I tell it how it is, if you feel like sucking the ass of some crap, go ahead, but I'll tell ya what I think.

Sec
August 14th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Really? Your a fucking smart ass. Whether or not the ridges were modeled or textured, they still looked like crap, and you can't deny it. I tell it how it is, if you feel like sucking the ass of some crap, go ahead, but I'll tell ya what I think.
Calm down jesus christ on a bycycle...
instead of being some sort of troll why not just say you dont like it and give ideas on how to improve.
If i were him id rather know how or what to improve on and work that way.

Rosco
August 14th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Calm down jesus christ on a bycycle...
instead of being some sort of troll why not just say you dont like it and give ideas on how to improve.
If i were him id rather know how or what to improve on and work that way.

I think it's quite self explanatory. The ridges suck, so why doesn't he just redo them.

He's not some sort of troll either. Look up your definitions.

AAA
August 15th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Barrel's texture isn't too good. Could keep it the way Halo 3 has it? Plain and scratched up? This is, after all, a Halo 3 Sniper Rifle. =)

Hunter
August 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM
lmao, i only posted that to show that texture effects can work seems that it fooled smash. im not saying that can always work though. i aint even using that texture, i was just testing some stuff and trying to make textures because i am crap at skinning and i need someone to help me like DANO but hes busy with other stuff, i know that there alot of errors in parts, i havnt bothered to carry on with the model for ages because i get no [/b]helpful[b] comments from good modelers, this topic started of ok because not many good modelers were posting on here but when someone can make good models then they like to flame ppl saying that theres are crap, ive noticed anyway, cuz im not a good modeler i thought i would just post this to see what i can inproove on but it didnt work...

Hunter
August 16th, 2007, 05:24 AM
well u dont tell me what needs fixing do you.

Hunter
August 16th, 2007, 05:51 AM
ok, thank-you, has anyone got any more references i can use because i have only got 2.it would help with some different ones.

DaneO'Roo
August 16th, 2007, 06:08 AM
what????

i managed to make the barrel texture very quickly and it isnt finnished and its completly crap but the texture makes it look like the barrel has got those grooves in it when realy its just a plane tube.

he said thats apart of the texture........

oh shit there was another page :3

but I see some really hypocritical posts on this page.......

Hunter
August 16th, 2007, 07:34 AM
I really need someone who can make good textures, is there anyone who will help me.

Hunter
August 16th, 2007, 08:18 AM
thats the problem with me, i have no time because my mmu wont let me the computer for 2 long. Untill i buy my own PC when i have money i wont be able 2 learn.

Bad Waffle
August 16th, 2007, 08:25 AM

niggawhat? it does matter if it was modeled or textured, because you said "waste of polies" which insinuates that you thought they were modeled in. and actually, with a bit more work, and some smaller ridges, it might look good. No, you dont tell it how it is, you tell it like you hate all things created by human.

And learn how to insult people, instead of " if you feel like sucking the ass of some crap" you should have used "if you feel like sucking crap outta my ass". Oh well, you're still getting warned :lol:

SMASH
August 16th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Oh please, I post good things about other things. Also, what I meant by that "line" is that you can go ahead and suck up to those crap models if you'd like.

Hunter
August 16th, 2007, 09:25 AM
SMASH... Fuck off,

Your stuck up your own arse because you model good models. Like i said in my first post to this topic, i am not a good modeler, so i thought it was pretty good for me.

Skyline
August 16th, 2007, 09:41 AM
SMASH... Fuck off,

Your stuck up your own arse because you model good models. Like i said in my first post to this topic, i am not a good modeler, so i thought it was pretty good for me.
If you knew you weren't a very good modeller then why would you try to model something that was made by people who do this for a living and have been working on it all year. Try modelling something of your own capability.

Hunter
August 16th, 2007, 10:09 AM
because with help i might be able to do it, Plus it will inproove my modeling skills seems that this is the stuff im doing for my job when im older and i need to learn.

Hunter
August 16th, 2007, 10:55 AM
i know, im going university to study it.

Dole
August 16th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Also, what I meant by that "line" is that you can go ahead and suck up to those crap models if you'd like.
Wow. That's the worst translation of a thought into words ever conceived.
I mean, that's like the kinda thing you'd expect to hear out of someone who's being interrogated with a rag and a jimmy stick.

SMASH
August 16th, 2007, 12:43 PM
SMASH... Fuck off,

Maybe you should learn to model better then :eyesroll:. It's seriously not that hard to plane model.

http://tutorials.moddb.com/16/beretta-9000-video-tutorial/

Just watch it slowly and observe what he does and how he does it. I say watch it slowly because at first you'll get lost, but seeing it slowly/more than once.

Honestly, I don't model that well. but like I said, I'll say what I think. I was wrong about the ridges on the barrel but they still looked pretty bad. Anyways, I hope this helps you out.

Wow. That's the worst translation of a thought into words ever conceived.
I mean, that's like the kinda thing you'd expect to hear out of someone who's being interrogated with a rag and a jimmy stick.

Yea, I know. I couldn't figure how to phrase it >.<

SnaFuBAR
August 16th, 2007, 01:02 PM
because with help i might be able to do it, Plus it will inproove my modeling skills seems that this is the stuff im doing for my job when im older and i need to learn.

then don't modify existing models. do things from scratch. you've learned absolutely nothing from this, guarenteed.

Con
August 16th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Don't decide on a career so early, you may never end up in that field at all because you might not have what it takes. Do it as a hobby for now, but don't think that you're guaranteed a job because of something you're practicing now.

Hunter
August 17th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Maybe you should learn to model better then :eyesroll:. It's seriously not that hard to plane model.

Just watch it slowly and observe what he does and how he does it. I say watch it slowly because at first you'll get lost, but seeing it slowly/more than once.

Honestly, I don't model that well. but like I said, I'll say what I think. I was wrong about the ridges on the barrel but they still looked pretty bad. Anyways, I hope this helps you out.

Yea, I know. I couldn't figure how to phrase it >.<

Thanks smash, this is what ive wanted, ive been looking for a tutorial on plane modeling for ages. See you aint a bad guy when you do things like this :) .

SnaFuBAR
August 17th, 2007, 03:36 AM
i posted that to you numerous times...

Hunter
August 17th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I neva saw it.

Jayden
August 19th, 2007, 12:55 PM
AHHH!!!! IT'z OBESE!

SnaFuBAR
August 19th, 2007, 09:37 PM
good to see your usual top-not contribution to a thread, jayden.

Hunter
August 26th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Ive been in a army camp wiv cadets so now, i will be finnishin the model.

Bastinka
August 26th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Ive been in a army camp wiv cadets so now, i will be finnishin the model.
You mean, your grandmas? :)

Con
August 26th, 2007, 05:25 PM
let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

Tweek
August 26th, 2007, 05:47 PM
then don't modify existing models. do things from scratch. you've learned absolutely nothing from this, guarenteed.

hmmm i half-disaggree with you there.

1, modifying stuff teached you dick
2, looking at work made by people better than you, seeing how they made it, what decision they made, and why, that actually teaches you alot.

i know i learnt ALOT by looking at other people's models.
doesnt mean ill change em a bit and run off with em as my own, but examining things like that can definately teach you alot.

------
blah--
------

hunter, you say you're going to do this for a job.
i DO do this for a job, and let me tell you somethign first: this is some HARDCORE BUSINESS.
if you ever want to get a foot in the door in this world, you will definately need talent. talent is key.
if you have no talent, you can practice practice all you want, but you will never be as good as the people that have a natural built-in knack for this stuff.

also, how old are you, 12? 14? in any case, judging by your behaviour (and the fact your mom wont let you use the pc often) i can tell you you're far too young to even think about such a decision.
have you ever even looked around you, what kind of jobs there are. you may think you know what kind of jobs, but you dont know. god you dont know how many jobs there are out there.
the good news is, that most of those dont take talent.
art however, because this IS ART, does.

ask yourself this.
do you ever look at paintings, i mean REALLY look. (granted, 80&#37; of the paintings in musea is roflcakes)
do you ever express youself via music, drawing, painting, writing, fuckign SINGING for all i care
when you see something thats above yout level, do you look at it, and try to learn from it, do you try to see WHY it is better than what you can do, and learn from that.

if you don't do this on any of the point, you can safely say you're not cut out for the business.

modelling is fun, at least i do it for fun, and the fact i get paid to do it only adds to the fun.
it started out as a hobby, but for me, it grew.
it doesnt HAVE to grow, you can keep modelling, but it doesnt have to be your job.
it's a great hobby too.

snaff smells
ross is a postwhore
dane is uhhhhh a banana

gasp, wall of text crits fingers for 5.000

Hunter
August 26th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I have thought about it, and i am going to make games and stuff when im older, I am 16, i am taking the GCSE's that i need for this job, i WILL get the qualifications, i WILL learn and teach my self to model properly, I have ask my mum if i can go on the computer because i have got a big family so i have to help around the house.
So i have to ask if my mum needs help,
The PC that i use is not actualy mine, its my mums. But im the only person that goes on it,
And i know everything about it and how it works and hoe everything is setup like stuff i have changed in the registery.
So my mum n dad dont bother wiv it much.

All i need is help on how to inproove my models, then i can inproove my modeling skills.

But i will put as much time that is needed to learn and get the qualifications.

The ICT teachers dont know half the stuff that i know, they said at school.

Tweek
August 27th, 2007, 02:09 AM
you dont need qualifications to be an artist.

all i have is my highschool diploma, 4 years of MOD-experience, and 2 shipped commercial titles. they dont want someone that can show ema piece of paper, they want someone who can produce a damn good piece of art. (halo-mods dont count as mods, as theyre like the simplest shit you can possibly do.)

DaneO'Roo
August 27th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Tweek speaks the truth. They don't want people waving degrees in digital media in their faces. They want people who can do exactly what they want.

They want people who:

can make exceptional art, and are a god in their field, whether it be animations, textures, models whatever.

can work fast and efficiently, and work well with deadlines and a fast paced environment. Can handle alot of pressure.

are able to take artistic direction well, and work well with provided tools and content.

are willing to learn and work with a team, and have VERY good communication skills.

But above all, be seriously talented. Anyone can learn to do something. The people that are naturally gifted with it, are the people who love to do it and are the people who get hired. They have a passion for it that the others don't have.

The ICT teachers dont know half the stuff that i know, they said at school.

So. Just recently when I went to college to enroll in my IT course, the head teacher seen my work I had sitting on my usb drive, and showed the Digital Media/Graphic Art teachers. They were then trying to persuade me to join their courses next year. After talking to them about materials and photoshop for 15 minutes they looked like they were going to go crawl into a closet and cut.

PenGuin1362
August 27th, 2007, 10:57 AM
everything they said is correct. however now that digital media courses are starting to show up in more colleges when you go to apply for a job and you and this guy are both as good, they're going to look for the one with the degree so it won't hurt to get it. however you can always start your own company ;)

Tweek
August 27th, 2007, 11:43 AM
you do need some kind of degree to make arti director, or graphical lead. in any casy, you wont d up in any lead-positions, unless you've got a degree to go along with it.
i for one, dont care for lead, i just want to make stuff.

Hunter
August 27th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Yeah i agree with you. All i know is that i am going to help make good games.

I will spend as much time as needed to learn, I can make good models, it just needs time. I dont have much time. I need to get a laptop so i can have more time. Because then i can go in my room and model things. I can probobly model something good with a good reference of a design.

Bastinka
August 27th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Don't decide the job you're going to have, you seem to young for that. Once your the right age you'll see what your best at. And if you're smart you'll pick that job. I'm not telling you, you can't be a game designer... It's just your too young to pick what you want as a job. Heck I wanted to be a Policeman, then I wanted to be a Electrician and now I wanna be a Graphics designer/3d Environmental designer. :)

Teh Ganon
August 27th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I wanted to be a pro baseball player. What a retard I was. Now of course I want to get into game design.

SMASH
August 27th, 2007, 03:17 PM
All i know is that i am going to help make good games.

Dude, you current modeling isn't great, what makes you think that you are going to make "good" games. Hell, I could say I'm going to marry some supermodel but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Bastinka
August 27th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I wanted to be a pro baseball player. What a retard I was. Now of course I want to get into game design.
When I came to this country, the second year I played baseball. God it was so boring, it's like golf except you catch the ball with a glove and throw it at someone. :eyesroll:

Leiukemia
August 27th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I started modelling when I was 17 and there's not a bad chance that I'll be working for a game company. That's only a year away from your age. I'd say if you really want to keep trying and keep learning, then go for it.

Hunter
August 28th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Tutorials archives are not working, they are damaged.

Is there any more you know of?

Bastinka
August 28th, 2007, 08:22 AM
For plane modeling?
I don't know many more than that one, supposedly everyone learns planemodeling from that :\

LlamaMaster
August 28th, 2007, 09:11 AM
If their really gone I can reupload them. Their just sitting on my hard drive.

SnaFuBAR
August 28th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Tutorials archives are not working, they are damaged.

Is there any more you know of?
they're not damaged. download the correct codec on that very same page so that you can watch them :eyesroll:

am i the only person who actually figured that out without posting that they don't work?

Teh Ganon
August 28th, 2007, 02:31 PM
am i the only person who actually figured that out without posting that they don't work?

yep.

SMASH
August 28th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Nope

Archon23
August 28th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I have those codecs. But the first one was corrupted for some reason.........

SnaFuBAR
August 28th, 2007, 03:49 PM
like i tell everyone else, the first one doesn't mean didly squat. there's no modeling in the first video :roll:

Hunter
August 29th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Yeah, i downloaded the second one and that one works, its the 1st one that it corrupted. I have the codecs anyway, and i see what ppl mean wen they say Plane modeling is simple, but it takes time 2 get used to it. thanks for the tutorial, i will re model my sniper from scratch using plane modeling and see if it comes out good, then i will have something to show of becuase it is my work and i havnt just modefided another model.

SnaFuBAR
August 29th, 2007, 03:34 AM
no, model something of your own. if you seriously want a job, do something original.

Archon23
August 29th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Like I want to model my Plasma Rifle Concept ounce I learn what each button does what. I'm just not one of those guys who learn by messing around :\

Seriously HALP PLZ!

Hunter
August 29th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I have been watching the tutorial for plane modeling, and it is alot better than box modeling. you get alot better models that you cannot make with boxes. here is what i have done so far, and i think it is awsome seems that it is the first time i have used plane modeling:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/pistol_plus_wireframe.png

LlamaMaster
August 29th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I have been watching the tutorial for plane modeling, and it is alot better than box modeling. you get alot better models that you cannot make with boxes. here is what i have done so far, and i think it is awsome seems that it is the first time i have used plane modeling:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/pistol_plus_wireframe.png
Dude....don't model the gun from the tutorial, it's been done many, many, many times before. Do what I did, watch all the tutorials, then go find a original concept and model that.

Hunter
August 29th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I cant find any gun pics that are from the side view like that 1.

Teh Ganon
August 29th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I cant find any gun pics that are from the side view like that 1.

A simple google image search of any weapon will give you hundreds... But to find a front, rear, top, and side view of the same gun takes a bit more searching.

Tweek
August 29th, 2007, 11:19 AM
actually, DO model the one from the tut. it's a good thing to practice on.
so what if everyone has made it, nobody gives a shit, it's to learn from.
it also makes sure you can follow the tut from word to word. and you dont have to watch a part being made thats not even on your gun, WICH HAPPENED to cover some important shit or whatever.

whenever i did a tutorial, i tried to make it as close to the tut as possible, and later, once i got the stuff i was supposed to learn from it nailed, i made somethign of my own. that way you'll never forget it.

Hunter
August 29th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Same thing i did with makeing a map, I followed the tutorial, then i made my own map, now its easy, i know how to do it without reading anything. very simple to make a map unless u are new.

I have started to make this for some practice because the Sniper Rifle is going to be harder than this:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/rifle.png

A bit more:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/rifle2.png

Leiukemia
August 30th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Doing better there. Also, I agree with Tweek. You're not going to learn anything less with doing the same gun as the tutorial. You'll get a chance to use all the techniques he does, and you can worry about shaping them to your own on your next model. Continue with that pistol, it looks fine so far. Here's a proposition for you though. Even though the guy who made the tut did a good job, his model isn't completely accurate. See if you can't best him in accuracy. Don't be afraid to do something differantly then him if you think he did it wrong. That shows you have the ability to see what's wrong, and fix it according so.

Hunter
August 30th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Im adding the detail to the XM8 Carbine after ive got the main model done.

Here is some more, there is ajusting still to be done on parts and i need to add detail when finnished the rest of it.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/MX8CarbineWireframe.jpg

NullZero
August 30th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Does is really look like a portable vacuum cleaner (the XM8) ?

Hunter
August 30th, 2007, 12:12 PM
lol, its no were finnished yet. At bit of possitive thinking please.

PenGuin1362
August 30th, 2007, 02:26 PM
not that bad, seeing as how the xm8 doesn't have much detail anyway. however, the fore grip doesn't extrude. the pistol grip is just a mere box, needs to be redone. and you should probably add the holes along the end of the carry handle.

Hunter
August 30th, 2007, 02:33 PM
yeah, im going to, as i said, im adding detail later. heres some more:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/MX8_rifle.jpg

Bastinka
August 30th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Why did you use boolean?

Hunter
August 30th, 2007, 02:57 PM
were are you on about?

Bastinka
August 30th, 2007, 03:05 PM
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/SilentWindPL/MX8_rifle.jpg

Not trying to flame, just pointing out my suspicions. The red is where I suspected you boolean'd. :\

Hunter
August 30th, 2007, 03:10 PM
None of the parts u say i have used boolean on is, i havnted used boolean. the handle needs work i know, wasted polys there, and parts of it is 1 face. whats wrong with one face?

and thanks for not flaming.

Just rememba this in my first propa weapon model using plane modeling.

Bastinka
August 30th, 2007, 03:30 PM
How did you manage to make it all one polygon?

LlamaMaster
August 30th, 2007, 03:30 PM

teh lag
August 30th, 2007, 04:02 PM

Editable poly can do that you know.

Bastinka
August 30th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Editable poly can do that you know.
Hm, it can? Weird, to me it just makes the model look messier :eyesroll:

LinkandKvel
August 30th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Besides, there's nothing wrong with using boolean, just dont do it TOO much.

Tweek
August 30th, 2007, 04:10 PM
boolean wins, just mak sure you clean up afterwards.

only people who dont know how to use it properly say it's bad.

SnaFuBAR
August 30th, 2007, 07:02 PM
to me it creates more work. also, your xm8 is not accurate. you need more than just a side view. pay attention to how light shows on the surface, you'll see the shape of the gun much better. overall it's looking too thin to me.

LlamaMaster
August 30th, 2007, 07:07 PM
boolean wins, just mak sure you clean up afterwards.

only people who dont know how to use it properly say it's bad.
Once again you win tweek; I agree completely. The only reason people say boolean is bad is because their to ignorant to use it correctly. It's sad how under rated it is due to its misuse. As long as you detach the area of the model your trying to affect, cleanup is a breeze. It's when people use it incorrectly that it fuges up the model.

Hunter
August 31st, 2007, 05:12 AM
That is only one half of the model, thats why it is thin, and i still need to finnish it up and make it more smooth and stuff. And i know parts of it arnt proportioned correct, i need to fine tune bits.

Update:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/martynball/Rifle_update_animated.gif

LlamaMaster
August 31st, 2007, 01:28 PM
Ohhhhhh, pretty animation! May I ask how you made it?

Hunter
August 31st, 2007, 02:04 PM
Photoshop CS3.

Then rendered it normualy, saved it and opened it in PS then rendered the wire frame:

Rendering > Render > Renderer Tab > Force Wireframe

Then rendered it, saved it and imported it into PS, did a Brightness and Contrast adjustment on it and put contrast up top and brightness down bottom.

I then did a fade in and out animation by adjusting the transparency of the wire frame layer, wire frame layer on top of the others.

Back on topic....

Tweek
August 31st, 2007, 04:49 PM
hell you can even do that in max. just animate opacity and wireframe display tuduuuh.

PenGuin1362
September 1st, 2007, 08:20 PM
lol yea you could.