PDA

View Full Version : quick modeling question...

Tarzan
August 7th, 2007, 04:46 PM
when I'm using editable poly, working with a cylinder, I seem to be doing SOMETHING wrong. When I use the inset or bevel commands on the ends (caps) of the cylinder, I get an eye-shaped lozenge instead of a proper circle inset. What the deuce?

(and no, I did not use the scale tool on only one axis... :lol:)

LlamaMaster
August 7th, 2007, 07:28 PM
when I'm using editable poly, working with a cylinder, I seem to be doing SOMETHING wrong. When I use the inset or bevel commands on the ends (caps) of the cylinder, I get an eye-shaped lozenge instead of a proper circle inset. What the deuce?

(and no, I did not use the scale tool on only one axis... :lol:)
Is the cylinder attached to any other object?

DOMINATOR
August 7th, 2007, 07:31 PM
if you wanted the cap beveled. just select the cap face and extrude "#" bevel "-#"

Tarzan
August 8th, 2007, 01:26 AM
I want the cap inset, but you can do an inset with a bevel too. It's attached to another object, yes, but it's not PHYSICALLY attached...

LlamaMaster
August 8th, 2007, 10:06 AM
I want the cap inset, but you can do an inset with a bevel too. It's attached to another object, yes, but it's not PHYSICALLY attached...
Ding ding ding, we have your problem! Try creating a new cylinder, but this time DON'T attach it to anything. Try that and tell me if it works.

Tarzan
August 8th, 2007, 01:10 PM
yep, that did it. Any way to keep it from doing that, or do I need to make all my modifications to the cylinder before attaching it? kind of a pain IMO

LlamaMaster
August 8th, 2007, 02:00 PM
yep, that did it. Any way to keep it from doing that, or do I need to make all my modifications to the cylinder before attaching it? kind of a pain IMO
The error in a pain in the ass, but I've never been able to fix it. You will just have to modify it beforehand like you said.

also, show your gratitude with some rep! :awesome:

Tarzan
August 8th, 2007, 03:07 PM
how? I never understood that +rep thing... Thanks for the help on that though.... even if it wasn't really fixing the problem per se :lol: But it works, so thanks!

Edit: Shoulda done this earlier - problem solved = locked.