PDA

View Full Version : Syncing in Halo 2 Online Multiplayer?

TheGhost
December 16th, 2006, 02:07 PM
This is a pretty straightforward question: I'm wondering how sophisticated the syncing was for Halo 2 on the XBox. I remember all of the crap we had to do with scripting in Halo 1 to get some things to sync online, and I'm wondering to what lengths we'll have to go to get certain things to sync on Halo 2 Vista. We've seen things in Halo 2 maps like opening gates and moving scenery that syncs correctly, so what will we be able to do? For example, will we be able to properly sync AI across the netcode? Would Co-op be possible to implement through some modding? etc.

Chewy Gumball
December 16th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I don't know about ai, but I they will probably include syncing scenery/ devices. I don't think co-op would work unless the ai synced and since there is no SP modding, and co op over the net wasn't included in the xbox version, I highly doubt its possible to mod it in.

Mr Buckshot
December 16th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Co-op mode isn't that important anyways, it made Legendary quite easy because I kept melee-ing everyone while my friend did all the gunning work :P.

As for those objects syncing, I'm sure it's possible, especially for things like switches, grav lifts, and more. With the Havok engine, it may be possible to code in a little more environment destructibility (it'd be nice to destroy the gate on Zanzibar)

megaxp
December 24th, 2006, 09:28 PM
oh...

Zeph
December 24th, 2006, 09:57 PM
AI soo far doesn't make calls to the network in Halo 3, so I doubt it would in Halo 2. Scenery/device machines definately will sync, since they do on the xbox.

Con
December 25th, 2006, 11:24 PM
I really hope AI will sync, I'd love to play some multiplayer co-op. Gates and such should sync, they're elements that a lot of people would want to add to their maps to improve strategy and team play, why not?

TheGhost
December 26th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Scenery/device machines definately will sync, since they do on the xbox.

Well, I mean, they did on Halo 1 XBox but not PC. The light bridges and doors and stuff synced if you made a custom map for XBox. But it still doesn't work in PC. Obviously it's a little bit different now, with the default maps having a number of devices, etc. that require syncing.

Cortexian
December 26th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Thats because Halo 1 xbox maps were usualy played on LAN...

Zeph
December 28th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I dont see how it wouldn't work this time, the engine was completely rewritten in the first stage of development for WAN calls.

halofreak4567
December 29th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Wow, just imagine the maps that will come out after H2V comes. You will see maps with all sorts of gates. Maybe a drawbridge for a castle map or something. I think I'm having a map idea.

ExAm
December 31st, 2006, 09:57 PM
What is it that you guys use to sync gates in CE? Bipeds, right? When you hit a switch it kills a biped, opening the door? I've mostly forgotten.

ExAm
January 1st, 2007, 02:42 AM
You know, kind of like in Hugeass. You kill a biped to get a desired effect that syncs.

ExAm
January 2nd, 2007, 12:37 AM
Yeah, the night mode thing.

Llama Juice
February 2nd, 2007, 08:32 PM
in the Xbox version of Halo 2, AI isn't "possible" in campaign without modding the actual XBE (pretty much the equivilant of a exe on a PC). Even then, AI doesnt sync online.

I doubt they have AI syncable on the Vista version.

Mr Buckshot
February 3rd, 2007, 12:26 AM
We don't need AI to sync online anyway. Imagine if some gayass hacker programmed a bot to be invincible with infinite heavy weapon ammo (e.g. rocket launcher) as a teammate.

As long as switches, moving machines, etc sync, we're good to go.

itszutak
February 7th, 2007, 01:12 PM
And it seems they will, since crates synch, the zanzi gate synchs, the Relic teleporter, etc...

Sunray
February 8th, 2007, 01:10 PM
To sort the whole AI thing out:

Qhttp://www.bungie.net/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.bungie.net/images/spacer.gif
Will there be multiplayer bots?
Ahttp://www.bungie.net/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.bungie.net/images/spacer.gif
No. If you want to practice, you can do it against real people. You can however explore any multiplayer level you wish simply by starting an "empty" LAN match.

So i think that answers the "are they going to include them" q. Its just how they're not going to include them. So can we not even place bipeds, or will we be able to have working bots that don't sync, or will they be dummies without intelligence. I'm sure someone in the community will find a way around it.

I_Am_Error117
February 8th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Ai has been sycned in a mod so uh yeah. everything for the most part syncs I think. someone had online co op but it crashed at a checkpoint because it didn't know where to save

Edit:

Heres a AI mod that was recent AI is pretty new. On xbox we use a prorgram that alter the code to enable mp ai (yelo). It is system link compat which means online tunneling, system link and xbox live :)

Sunray
February 8th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Ai has been sycned in a mod so uh yeah
Which mod. I have heard of no mod that syncs AI. I have seen those that try, but none of them really work.

I_Am_Error117
February 8th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Halo 2 xbox.

Sunray
February 8th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Oh. Not PC or vista then. That would explain why I didn't know. Could the same thing theoretically be done with H2V?

I_Am_Error117
February 9th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Yes a trainer would work. Like a advanced AllDev so uh yeah the catch is everone in game would need the program

edit for mod check link on pg 2

Edit: D'oh no wonder you didnt know forgot my link 1sec

Edit:

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os8n7jMYnBQ

http://forums.halomods.com/viewtopic.php?t=50105

Kornman00
February 10th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Hes refering to the halo2 xbox platform of Yelo that xbox7887 and I made. It allows the AI to exist in MP, thats all (as far as AI "syncing" goes).

In Halo2, it can sync any type of object to an extent. And the device's position\power is sync'd as you know. And since they added a unit even t system to halo2, they can sync the actions any unit does. However there are some various things about SP that still need to be sync'd, thus thats why they said its not finished.

Halo1 xbox used a pretty different method (and\or implementation) of networking the game compared to halopc and halo2. This is why things to seem sync more on the xbox

I_Am_Error117
February 10th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Hes refering to the halo2 xbox platform of Yelo that xbox7887 and I made. It allows the AI to exist in MP, thats all (as far as AI "syncing" goes).

In Halo2, it can sync any type of object to an extent. And the device's position\power is sync'd as you know. And since they added a unit even t system to halo2, they can sync the actions any unit does. However there are some various things about SP that still need to be sync'd, thus thats why they said its not finished.

Halo1 xbox used a pretty different method (and\or implementation) of networking the game compared to halopc and halo2. This is why things to seem sync more on the xbox

Yeah that.

Hey I've seen you on HaloMods.com

Mr Buckshot
February 10th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Things synced in H1 for xbox but not for PC because the PC uses different networking code for multiplayer.

H2V should retain some of the online MP scripting, since xbl connection is similar to PC internet connection.