PDA

View Full Version : [HALO 3] OK, a couple of theories I have worked up after looking at the evidence...

Jay2645
August 8th, 2007, 03:29 AM
THEORY 1:
How the Halo System Works:

I think I have determined how the Halo installations “wipe the galaxy clean of all sentient life”, as interpreted by Cortana in Halo CE. There are also elements of AdjutantReflex’s final message that slammed me into this direction. Most notable the pictures of microscopic organisms.
In Halo 1, the effect of a Halo firing is referred to by 343 Guilty Spark as a “pulse”. Example:
-343 GS: “This installation's pulse has a maximum effective radius of twenty-five thousand light years.”
Let’s think about that word, "pulse". In the context 343 is using the word, it would refer to a sonar like ripple sort of like dropping a pebble into water. In this case the galaxy. We can presume it operates like a circular wave because Guilty Spark also uses the term radius which pertains only to the measurement circular patterns. So, by simple common sense and decent interpretation we can no doubt agree that a ring firing goes out in a massive “wave.”
Another character who describes the “pulse” element is Cortana when she identifies that you must neutralize Halo’s “Phase Pulse Generators”. Here’s another statement I have dissected. They refer to “Phase” as in multiple phases. Hang on to that one for a moment, we’ll come back to it shortly.

An interesting technology that the forerunner had unlocked was teleportation . Basically when something is teleported it is smashed down to the atomic level and re-assembled in another location. It reduces you to mere atoms, and puts you together again. This is how Guilty Spark teleports you in Halo 1, and how Gravemind teleports you in Halo 2. This is also how teleporters work in any Halo multiplayer maps.

It has been widely theorized that the Library is in fact a massive collection of genetic samples. If this is true, than it could be presumed that the index is the key to unlocking those samples prior to an activation. Even if this is not true there is an alternate angle I will explore in the main theory.

And what is even more a testament to the forerunners technological supremacy is the ring itself. Aside from its weaponry capabilities it is an artificial world, able to hold a sustainable ecosystem complete with everything required to nurture it. (Bacteria, Microbial Life, and other more complex organisms) Without those elements the environment would become stagnant.

So we have some pretty interesting components:
A Teleportation Grid
An artificial yet sustainable ecosystem (complete with bacteria and microbial matter required to nourish it)
A pulse oriented weapon system with an effective range capable of leveling an entire planetary system.
And an expansive collection of genetic samples (presumed)Ok, here is my theory with regards to activation and how it works.
When fired, a ring emits a massive pulse which is in fact an extension of Halo’s teleportation grid. It would happen in certain phases.

Phase One:
The ringwould detect, and lock on to the calcium levels in all complex live forms within the ring’s range, specifically targets with sufficient bio-mass to sustain the flood.

Phase Two:
The ring would engage a massive teleportation pulse, reducing everything targeted to the atomic level. Only this teleporter would not be designed to re-assemble the targets and smash them into nothing.

Phase three:
If the library does contain genetic samples, the ring’s pulse emitters disperse the genetic material over the target area to re-populate and reset the evolutionary cycle.
Meaning that the Forerunners could have put their genetic material into the Library, and they became Humans. In Halo 1, on the level The Maw, Guilty Spark is quoted as saying something about all of the Forerunner's lost knowledge. This means that Alpha Halo is probably the closest Halo to Earth, which would explain how the Covenant found it so easily in Halo 2 because both of it's proximity to Alpha Halo and because of I Love Bees, plus it explains why the Human race appeared on Earth, since the genetic samples were spread over Earth. The humans (Or rather Forerunners) would have died on all the other planets, since none were able to support life. They may have survived a little while on Mars, but something, I don't know what, wiped out that planet.

THEORY 2:
AdjutantReflex's killer:

Is the identity of the new entity (the "machine" that "outranked" and "terminated" AdjutantReflex) hiding in plain sight right before us?
In his last post on the forum before being killed by the new entity, AdjutantReflex stated the following:

What has he learned in Eon’s slumber?
I doubt it’s mercy or sorrow.Being the grammar nerd that I am, I immediately noticed the first above-quoted sentence. Namely this part: Eon's slumber. But to explain things thoroughly, I will need to write a somewhat long post, so please have some patience as you read on.

Face Value and Implied Meaning of the Sentence:
To analyze this, let's first look at the implied meaning of the sentence at face value. To do so, it may help to rephrase the sentence. I would say something like this:

"What has he learned in the eons that he has been asleep?"

Right? Hopefully we are all agreed that this would be the correct implied meaning of the actual sentence written by AdjutantReflex. And at first, you most likely read the sentence in this way and moved on.

The Grammatical Error:

But there is one problem -- this sentence contains a major grammatical error that actually changes its literal meaning. Most of the time, posting about corrections to grammatical errors on these forums will earn you a mild flaming. But here I have to talk about it, so bear with me for just a moment.

If this sentence was supposed to mean what it is implied to mean, and if the sentence had been grammatically correct, then it would read as follows:

"What has he learned in eons' slumber?"

Note that, in the corrected sentence, the apostrophe has been moved to the end to indicate plural possessive, and the "e" has been decapitalized. Now, the sentence is both grammatically correct and actually means what it seems to.

The Sentence's Literal Meaning As Written:

So let's assume for the moment that, as an Artificial Intelligence Construct, AdjutantReflex does not make grammatical errors. Very fair assumption, I think. So then, there is no grammatical error in the sentence "What has he learned in Eon's slumber," allowing us to draw two conclusions:
Eon is a proper noun -- a name. Meaning that Eon is an entity.
Eon is the name or nickname of the entity that killed AdjutantReflex.The first conclusion is self-evident. The word "eon" (meaning a long period of time defined by a significant beginning and ending) is a regular noun and is not a word that should be capitalized. Its capitalization, assuming intentionality, makes it a proper noun.

The second conclusion takes slightly more explaining: even if someone else puts you to sleep (with a sleeping pill or even in the figurative sense by killing you or knocking you out), in the English language we do not refer to that as someone else's sleep. When somebody is sleeping, it is always THEIR sleep, no matter who put that person to sleep. To draw an example, let's say that a mother rocks her baby boy "John" to sleep. Once it's asleep, the baby makes noises. In the English language, at least, the proper way to describe this situation is that "John is talking in his sleep," NOT that "John is talking in his mother's sleep." For these same reasons, "Eon" cannot be a city or place. Therefore, "Eon's slumber" refers to the entity that is or was asleep.

Therefore, to reiterate, the conclusions we draw are the following: Eon is the "stirring" entity that AR had been warning us was about to kill him, and that AdjutantReflex hid (probably on purpose) the name of his killer in the last post he ever wrote.

The Name of AdjutantReflex's Killer:

I do not think that the new entity's name is Eon. I believe that Eon is a nickname -- merely another clue leading us to the true identity.

The word "Eon" is an English word of Greek origin. It derives from the Greek word "Æon" or "Aeon," meaning "forever" or "eternity." Most interestingly, however, Æon is the nickname of the Greek god Chronos. Chronos, according to Ancient Greek mythology, was both time itself and the god of time (Also, do not confuse "Chronos" with "Cronus" -- they are two different Ancient Greek mythological entities).

This, I believe, is the name of our new entity. "Chronos," or some variation thereon. Chronos is an AI Construct that we have never met or seen before -- ancient, powerful, probably extremely intelligent, and devoted to its system.

Support for this Theory:
This conclusion, like so many others, requires some assumptions, but can be supported.
Greek Mythological Entities Are Already Part of this ARG: First, we have already had a confirmed connection in this puzzle to the names of Greek deities. The situation there was startlingly similar as to here. Remember how the word "Chrysopteron" was the file name of AdjutantReflex's custom avatar? And do you remember that we found out that "Chrysopteron" was the nickname of the Greek messenger goddess Iris? This led to us answering the question about golden wings with the correct answer, "Iris." Now, we see another word, plainly written and quite obvious (in other words, not encoded or hidden in a picture or in some other language), and have determined that it is the nickname of a Greek deity. It's almost as if we're expected to realize this.
Previous reference by AdjutantReflex to Time: Second, AdjutantReflex described his assailant as one who "plays with time even as he hides in its folds." Chronos/Aeon = Greek word for "Time." Get it? Perhaps AR was trying to warn us even then.THEORY 3:
The Missing Link:

OK, before I go any farther, you need to take a look at this:
http://www.halo3.com/comic/
Read all of that before going on. Don't worry, I'll wait.
*Taps foot*
No, go ahead, keep reading.
Yes, that's it, read all of it.
No no no, finish it. I'll wait.
OK, I'm done waiting. Didn't read it? Go back up and read it, you'll need to read it to understand what I'm saying.
Now, in that comic, it clearly showed Forerunner... Things and Humans together. I do not believe those are Forerunners themselves, nor are they Forerunner drones set to build the Ark (Which I'm presuming is what they're doing) after the Halos had been fired, as that would be kinda stupid, to fire it and then finish building it. Now, since that came directly from Bungie, that would be canon material. But then doesn't it interfere with my first theory? Not exactly.
I do not believe those are Homo Sapiens. Those are more likely Neanderthals or Homo Erectus, probably another variant of the Forerunners that didn't get as lucky to evolve as fast. They are on their way to becoming Forerunner, but haven't made it yet.
What Happened to the Neanderthals? One of science's great mysteries is whatever happened to the Neanderthals. They suddenly disappeared, and then Homo Sapiens came. The two's bones were found together for a short time, probably from when the Forerunner were here building the Ark. But then they all disappeared, at about the same time 343 GS says the Halos were fired. Now, according to theory one, then the Forerunner's genetic material came down to Earth, starting a Homo Sapien race here.
The Missing Link. Another mystery of science is what happened to the Missing Link. There is a gap in the evolution chain from apes to humans, a "Bigfoot". If the Forerunner evolved here after the Halos were fired, then we wouldn't need a missing link, as they just showed up.
Humans being Called "Reclaimers": In all of Halo's Canon, the humans are referred to as "Reclaimers". If they were indeed the Forerunner, then it would be logical that everyone would look to them to control the Flood outbreak.
MIJOLNIR Armor: In Halo: The Flood, 343 GS says to Master Chief that his armor is not sufficient to do the job, and that he needs armor 12 times more powerful. Frankly, I'm surprised it's not 7 times more powerful, but that's not important. What is important is that... Oh, crap, I lost my train of thought. I need to catch a new one. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................... There we go. Anyway, GS recognizes the armor, meaning that history, as it always does, is repeating itself, meaning that humans are doing the exact same things as the Forerunners did, since they are the same species. THEORY 4:
The Short One
I think the Ark cannot be fired on it's own. Rather, you need all of the indexes of the seven Halos, and I believe the Covies have found 5. 1 is held by Cortana (Remember?) and one is in a Halo ring here the last level of Halo 3 is held.

THEORY 5:
Halo 3's Story
OK, so this is how I think Halo 3 will play out, level-by-level.
1. MC landing in the forest. Pretty much like the second level of Halo 1, except we have Arbiter and the Elites on our team.
2. MC fighting his way to and into the base. This is where the marines think up a plan, and where we see MC leaning over the panel-thingy at the end.
3. Covenant disrupt the planning. You have to fight your way out of this one, and make your way to the Ark. You see massive Covenant reinforcements planted. This is the scene where Miranda Keyes is dual-wielding the pistol and Mauler.
4. The marines and elites try to take the Ark from the Covenant loyalists. You battle a giant Scarab, and then have the Arbiter help in taking down some Covenant anti-air emplacements from the inside.
5. MC fights through Covie-infested Voi, gets inside the Ark and finds... Flood? Like the Library from Halo 1, you have to fight past waves of Flood to get to the center structure. Here he finds some new AI, I doubt AR, since he was terminated in 2007. MC learns that the Ark needs all of the indexes, and sees how many the Covenant have planted, 5. He knows that Cortana has Alpha Halo's, and so all he needs is the final Halo's Index.
6. MC has to get back into space to High Charity, possibly so he can receive the index. He is teleported out of the Ark (Possibly by making that AI I mentioned earlier mad or scared) to the waste area where we see MC for the first time in the E3 2007 trailer. He tries to fight his way back to the Marines and a Pelican to get to Cortana and receive her index.
7. MC has made his way to the marines, where he can board a Pelican. Right as he is about to, the Covenant attack, and he has to defend the City's Citadel, where there is a temporary Marine base. At the end, the Flood attack as well, and MC takes the Pelican to escape.
8. Master Chief has made it to High Charity, which has been infested with more Flood, including *Gasp* JUGGERNAUTS! He has to get to Cortana, who has a bad case of rampancy and is accompanied by 343 Guilty Spark. She tells him to activate the Halos, and gives him the coordinates for another Halo. MC, for some reason, obeys, clears the bridge of the flood, seals all the hatches of the bridge, and empties the entire ship except for the bridge into vacuum, thus killing the flood. The coordinates are set, the flood are Contained, and so MC can go to the Halo and get the final index.
9. MC journeys to the new Halo, and goes to the coordinate data Cortana sends him for the Library. This is the hardest level of the game by far, as you need to go down the many floors of the Library, get the Index, have Cortana teleport him again (Except maybe not upside-down this time), but his suit malfunctions, and you have to brave the last level... WITH NO SHIELDS! While you were mucking about in the Library, the Covenant saw High Charity leave. Thinking that the Flood were reporting back to their masters (or something), all the Covies follow shortly after, and see another Halo. By the time you get to that part of the level, the Covenant have landed, and you have to fight them. Although the teleport malfunctioned, you did arrive in the right place, however, In Amber Clad, also curious as to High Charity's sudden disappearance. You give Miranda Keyes the index with orders to stick it in the Ark. Afterwards, you leave the ship in a Pelican flown by MC, but it is shot down, driving it slightly off-course, rather then going directly to the Control Room, as planned, you are now about where you were on the level Assault on the Control Room. Once you finally get to the Control Room, you MAY or MAY NOT have to battle the Prophet of Truth in a boss battle, I'm hoping towards the latter, but it's the last fight of that story arc. When he is dead, it shows Miranda Keyes and Sargent Johnson landing in a Pelican, then insert the index. Then MC and Arbiter walk up to the Control Panel, insert the last Index. MC says some witty comment, then he turns the handle, the screen goes white, and...
Credits. After the Credits, it shows the humans and Elites rebuilding Earth, as well as Sargent Johnson and Miranda Keyes, just to confirm they are alive.
Dead:
All the loyalist Covies, Arbiter, MC.
Alive:
The Elites and the Humans who were on Earth, Johnson, Miranda Keyes.
I suppose that does classify as a theory.
That's all I got for now. I started at 9:30 PM, and it is now 1:30 AM. I have another theory, but it's still in the budding stages. For now, try to shoot down the 3 I laid out. :p

Kornman00
August 8th, 2007, 05:35 AM
which would explain how the Covenant found it so easily in Halo 2 (It was right there)
It was because of the events of ILB

is repeating itself, meaning that humans are doing the exact same things as the Forerunners did, since they are the same.
Or because we found forerunner tech on Reach (or else where) that lead to its development. Not necessarily history being repeated.

Digikid
August 8th, 2007, 05:40 AM
nice reasoning. Well Done.

Stealth
August 8th, 2007, 08:34 AM
"Those who don't learn from history is doomed to repeat it."
nice theories jay.

Metroid4593
August 8th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Wow, that's some nice theories. It's awesome what people can figure out when they think this stuff through. I didn't even notice any of this until you pointed it out!

nooBBooze
August 8th, 2007, 11:07 AM
nice reasoning. Well Done.
^
Altough i doubt bungie thought the whole technology etc in halo 1 through like you did. Let alone Halo 2. +rep nonetheless

Archon23
August 8th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Bungie employees are lurking around forums and stealing ideas like this...........

TeeKup
August 8th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Extremely well thought out reasoning. I'm eager to hear more of your theories, you may have well stumbled across some valid evidence in the Halo Universe.

LinkandKvel
August 8th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I was lost at the whole AdjutantReflex theory cause I don't know anything about him. He's an A.I. Correct? Was he involved in The Halo novels {If so which one(s)} Or was it I Love Bees?

Saggy
August 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM
I was lost at the whole AdjutantReflex theory cause I don't know anything about him. He's an A.I. Correct? Was he involved in The Halo novels {If so which one(s)} Or was it I Love Bees?

Adjutant Reflex is an A.I (who was terminated I believe) from the Halo 3 Alternative Reality Game, Iris.

Tweek
August 8th, 2007, 12:29 PM
:words:

legionaire45
August 8th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I'm still waiting for the Marathon Cyborg to pick master chief up and take him through a portal that leads to a tavern with all of Bungie's old main characters.

Also, W'rkncacnter. In Earth's sun. Wow, I actually remember how to spell that fucker's name xD. At this point it seems very very unlikely, but there may still be a tie between Marathon and Halo. The W'rkncacnter fills the same position as Gravemind, and the Jjaro are basically the Forerunners. Maybe.

Good theories btw. One thought though, couldn't GS 343 have simply analyzed the chiefs armor to figure out it's relative power or whatever? I mean, he had just ripped all of his molecules apart and put them back together =P.

Jay2645
August 8th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks, guys.
I'm working on a fourth theory, but I'm still trying to shoot holes through it, and it's a little shaky still.

Dole
August 8th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Saturn was identified by the Romans as the Greek's Cronus, not Chronos.
+rep anyway.

Stealth
August 8th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Ok, I got a funny -rep message from some one calling me a post whore, but just to 'clear' what I in my post up.

GS recognizes the armor, meaning that history, as it always does, is repeating itself, meaning that humans are doing the exact same things as the Forerunners did, since they are the same species.
in this paragraph this little bit a info stuck out to me because it run along the same lines of a saying I've read/heard in countless books, Movies, TV shows, and other media, and that saying is.

"Those who don't learn from history is doomed to repeat it."
Humans and forerunners are one of the same, for all we could know, forerunners might of been the humans at one point, and they killed off some force, or species of alien along with some tech from the race that came before the forerunner. I once found a book with the title of "Ring World" and from the name I was hoping to learn some info on 'ring worlds' and I did, and I learned that in the book there where to species of terren (humans) there was an old race like the forerunners that built a ring world to get away from pollution, but left some people on earth that became humans, and the humans got to where they had the same problem as the race before them, Pollution. I was hoping that some of you guys would have some brains and knew what that quote meant, but I must of been wrong.:rolleyes:

legionaire45
August 8th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Ok, I got a funny -rep message from some one calling me a post whore, but just to 'clear' what I in my post up.

in this paragraph this little bit a info stuck out to me because it run along the same lines of a saying I've read/heard in countless books, Movies, TV shows, and other media, and that saying is.

Humans and forerunners are one of the same, for all we could know, forerunners might of been the humans at one point, and they killed off some force, or species of alien along with some tech from the race that came before the forerunner. I once found a book with the title of "Ring World" and from the name I was hoping to learn some info on 'ring worlds' and I did, and I learned that in the book there where to species of terren (humans) there was an old race like the forerunners that built a ring world to get away from pollution, but left some people on earth that became humans, and the humans got to where they had the same problem as the race before them, Pollution. I was hoping that some of you guys would have some brains and knew what that quote meant, but I must of been wrong.:rolleyes:
Just because Bungie happened to lift the concept of a "Halo" from Ringworld doesn't mean that the stories are exactly alike. The same can be said of the marathon references many have pointed out, but more then likely Bungie did take a few concepts from Marathon and implemented them in various different ways.

Stealth
August 8th, 2007, 11:07 PM
who says I said that Halo and ring world are exactly alike, all I said there are some parts that are alike to a point, if I was going to say they were exactly alike, I would of said something more noobish/stupid, there are some parts that Halo and ring world are alike (10% to 25%), and then there are things that are totaly different from each other (90% to 75%).

nooBBooze
August 9th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Wait a minute... not sure if i got this right but youre saying the firing mechnaism of the halos basically is a reversed teleporting um...thingy and after more advanced organsims are split down to their molecular base their not being reassembled. And after the rings are fired, genetic materials stored in the libraries are sent to habitable planets to repopulate them.
Couldnt Gravemind/the flood just teleport flood infected genetics all over the galaxy?

Stealth
August 9th, 2007, 08:19 AM
... he could do that.... Unless the libraries had 3 parts of it, one part of info on forerunner history, one that had stored DNA for teleporting to habitable planets, and one to teleport DNA that is flood into a black hole, or a sun or something.

Kornman00
August 9th, 2007, 11:19 AM
The index can only be reunited with the core by a reclaimer (as far as we know is only human), so no gravemind couldn't due it and theoretically a infected human couldn't either.

EDIT: Assuming that is how the rings work, it would require the amounts of energy the rings make when launched to teleport them galacticlly (even a point to point teleport on the ring requires a large amount of energy)

Mr Buckshot
August 9th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Very good work, keep it up. From the beginning I suspected that humans and forerunners were similar species.

TeeKup
August 9th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Couldnt Gravemind/the flood just teleport flood infected genetics all over the galaxy?

Don't overestimate him just because he's the flood's central conciousness, not even he could do that, it would require a VAST amount of energy. Our galaxy is quite big ya know. :/

Warsaw
August 9th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Just read this thread for the first time.

It is interesting to see that you (Jay2645) have reached almost the same conclusions as I did when I made my personal speculation with less evidence.

+Rep.

Elite Killa
August 9th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Nice observations. +rep

nooBBooze
August 10th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Don't overestimate him just because he's the flood's central conciousness, not even he could do that, it would require a VAST amount of energy. Our galaxy is quite big ya know. :/
Given that apperantly some forerunner tech has such amounts of energy (like the ship on high charity and especially the halos-how else could they fire?) and if gravemind would be able to hack into delta halos system and somehow modify it so when the firing mechansim is activated, it just teleports flood all over the galaxy instead of destroying possible hosts, i still think it would be possible.
Unless of course the teleporting process itself requires energy which the object must provide. And since all flood thingys are basically evile pieces of meat teleporting could be hard to do.

Jay2645
August 14th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Well, I know the Flood were not teleported all over the Galaxy when Halo fired the first time, and this isn't big enough to be called a theory, but Gravemind is technically able to think, and thus would be destroyed when Halo is fired, meaning he couldn't utilize the Halo system immediately afterwards, although I do figure he could possibly do it beforehand, but I think Sentinels and Penitent Tangent would make sure he doesn't. Meh, that's how theories start anyway, I may have a beefed-up idea later.
Also:

Extremely well thought out reasoning. I'm eager to hear more of your theories, you may have well stumbled across some valid evidence in the Halo Universe.
He received an infraction for that, and I fail to see where or why. Excuse me if I receive an infraction myself for saying this, as every other forum I've signed up for has not had infractions nor rep.

Archon23
August 14th, 2007, 01:06 AM
You see that red box on the bottom right of his post? Click on that and you can see what each infraction was given for. That one was given for Sig violation. If I remember correctly it was 1 pixel too high as stated by the text in it. :hist101:

Jay2645
August 14th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Never knew that first part.
Yeah, I remember that sig. I loled the first time I saw it. Some mod here must have been pretty bored.
Anyway, I just patched up a couple holes I found in my theories, I'm having a hard time finding evidence to back up my theories and not make them "Wishful Thinking".

TeeKup
August 14th, 2007, 09:33 PM
You see that red box on the bottom right of his post? Click on that and you can see what each infraction was given for. That one was given for Sig violation. If I remember correctly it was 1 pixel too high as stated by the text in it. :hist101:

LOL My awesome "This sig is approximately 1 pixel too tall, are you a bored moderator?" sig. XD

Skyline
August 14th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I don't have many theories but I hope they show the MC's face. Whatever ending they came up is (hopefully) going to be awesome.

LOL My awesome "This sig is approximately 1 pixel too tall, are you a bored moderator?" sig. XD
:p I find it funny that sig police Zeph gave that warning. Looks like he has time to read ever signature after all.

Con
August 14th, 2007, 09:57 PM
wow, I'm surprised that came from you Jay.

EDIT: Oh wait, it didn't. It came from this guy: Sk1ll4x3D (http://www.bungie.net/Account/Profile.aspx?memberID=11788) @ bungie.net, here, http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=11285162&viewreplies=true&postRepeater1-p=437

Jay2645
August 14th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Yes, 1 of them was based off of that theory (And modified a little here and there to stop the holes I found, and taking out things that just didn't make any sense), but 3 of them were not. Well, you only see 2, I'm starting to doubt the third will really happen.
Anyway, these are not really theories, but more of how I think H3 will play out. Spoiler tags to prevent those who would wish they hadn't read this.
I think the Ark cannot be fired on it's own. Rather, you need all of the indexes of the seven Halos, and I believe the Covies have found 5. 1 is held by Cortana (Remember?) and one is in a Halo ring here the last level of Halo 3 is held.
OK, so this is how I think Halo 3 will play out, level-by-level.
1. MC landing in the forest. Pretty much like the second level of Halo 1, except we have Arbiter and the Elites on our team.
2. MC fighting his way to and into the base. This is where the marines think up a plan, and where we see MC leaning over the panel-thingy at the end.
3. Covenant disrupt the planning. You have to fight your way out of this one, and make your way to the Ark. You see massive Covenant reinforcements planted. This is the scene where Miranda Keyes is dual-wielding the pistol and Mauler.
4. The marines and elites try to take the Ark from the Covenant loyalists. You battle a giant Scarab, and then have the Arbiter help in taking down some Covenant anti-air emplacements from the inside.
5. MC fights through Covie-infested Voi, gets inside the Ark and finds... Flood? Like the Library from Halo 1, you have to fight past waves of Flood to get to the center structure. Here he finds some new AI, I doubt AR, since he was terminated in 2007. MC learns that the Ark needs all of the indexes, and sees how many the Covenant have planted, 5. He knows that Cortana has Alpha Halo's, and so all he needs is the final Halo's Index.
6. MC has to get back into space to High Charity, possibly so he can receive the index. He is teleported out of the Ark (Possibly by making that AI I mentioned earlier mad or scared) to the waste area where we see MC for the first time in the E3 2007 trailer. He tries to fight his way back to the Marines and a Pelican to get to Cortana and receive her index.
7. MC has made his way to the marines, where he can board a Pelican. Right as he is about to, the Covenant attack, and he has to defend the City's Citadel, where there is a temporary Marine base. At the end, the Flood attack as well, and MC takes the Pelican to escape.
8. Master Chief has made it to High Charity, which has been infested with more Flood, including *Gasp* JUGGERNAUTS! He has to get to Cortana, who has a bad case of rampancy and is accompanied by 343 Guilty Spark. She tells him to activate the Halos, and gives him the coordinates for another Halo. MC, for some reason, obeys, clears the bridge of the flood, seals all the hatches of the bridge, and empties the entire ship except for the bridge into vacuum, thus killing the flood. The coordinates are set, the flood are Contained, and so MC can go to the Halo and get the final index.
9. MC journeys to the new Halo, and goes to the coordinate data Cortana sends him for the Library. This is the hardest level of the game by far, as you need to go down the many floors of the Library, get the Index, have Cortana teleport him again (Except maybe not upside-down this time), but his suit malfunctions, and you have to brave the last level... WITH NO SHIELDS! While you were mucking about in the Library, the Covenant saw High Charity leave. Thinking that the Flood were reporting back to their masters (or something), all the Covies follow shortly after, and see another Halo. By the time you get to that part of the level, the Covenant have landed, and you have to fight them. Although the teleport malfunctioned, you did arrive in the right place, however, In Amber Clad, also curious as to High Charity's sudden disappearance. You give Miranda Keyes the index with orders to stick it in the Ark. Afterwards, you leave the ship in a Pelican flown by MC, but it is shot down, driving it slightly off-course, rather then going directly to the Control Room, as planned, you are now about where you were on the level Assault on the Control Room. Once you finally get to the Control Room, you MAY or MAY NOT have to battle the Prophet of Truth in a boss battle, I'm hoping towards the latter, but it's the last fight of that story arc. When he is dead, it shows Miranda Keyes and Sargent Johnson landing in a Pelican, then insert the index. Then MC and Arbiter walk up to the Control Panel, insert the last Index. MC says some witty comment, then he turns the handle, the screen goes white, and...
Credits. After the Credits, it shows the humans and Elites rebuilding Earth, as well as Sargent Johnson and Miranda Keyes, just to confirm they are alive.
Dead:
All the loyalist Covies, Arbiter, MC.
Alive:
The Elites and the Humans who were on Earth, Johnson, Miranda Keyes.
I suppose that does classify as a theory.
Yes, I did borrow ideas for theory number 1 as part of my research, it was that theory that inspired me to write this thread. But now you have a total of 5 theories to bonk around in the old noggin.

Nick
August 15th, 2007, 08:05 PM
It was because of the events of ILBI Love Bees is completely non-canonical, just to be clear.

nick

Flyboy
August 16th, 2007, 02:02 AM
I think that this is a well thought out theory, even though you didn't make it <.<. However, I think it is flawed. Why?

In Halo 2, 343GS explains that the ARK would only work if one of the Halo's was put in an event of an un-expected shutdown.

Now look at this for a second, from the forerunners way of thinking, the only reason there would likely be an un-expected shut down, is if the flood had some how taken the index out of the control room moments before activation. Meaning that the index would be in the hands of the flood. The chances of taking that index from the flood, being able to take that index, along with the seven others from every single ring, and bring that to one location without getting killed by the flood would be extremely low.

Also, based on the amount of time and materials that it would take for the forerunners to construct seven Halo's would be enormous. Meaning they were well into the war (as in hundreds of years) by the time they finished these, not to mention the kind of chaos there would need to be to have an concept like Halo proposed and actually put through.

So these rings were obviusly a last resort. The monitors are designed to activate the rings as soon as an out brake (even a small one like that on Installation 04), but humans are needed to activate the ring because the machines would do this at any chance they could get. However, the only time a human would even think of doing something like that would be in the case of a MAJOR out brake, where the flood control nearly the entire galaxy.

For all these reasons, if the Halo's were activated by a human, then stopped (by likely the flood), then I'm sure there would be no time to go look for all the indexes from every single ring. The Ark was most likely designed for a last resort fall back plan, where the simple press of a button was necessary.

Jay2645
August 16th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Yes, but I was also trying to fit in what we believe will happen in Halo 3, since the people who got into the beta code said level 8 happens on High Charity, and level 9 happens on another Halo (I'm willing to bet Gamma Halo).