PDA

View Full Version : question about snowtorn cove

meepster
August 12th, 2007, 01:22 AM
I saw how on the bridge, there is ice and it is transparent, ad can see the material under it, yet you didnt get open edges (im guessing a plain was put over it) how do you make ice like that?

Bastinka
August 12th, 2007, 01:23 AM
You apply the material in 3ds max, but make sure to put an ! after it. I think, but you apply the texture to a plane.

meepster
August 12th, 2007, 01:28 AM
eh,but then it wud have no collision. or would +seamsealer work?

Bastinka
August 12th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Why does it need collision?

meepster
August 12th, 2007, 01:40 AM
because its ice....

p0lar_bear
August 12th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Arteen seems to have actually made the ice's texture a mix of blue and the underlying metal texture.

An alternate way to do it would be to model the ice patch, and then underneath it, model in the ground. The ice would need to be collidable, but it should use a shader_transparent_chicago. The underlying ground should have a material that uses the same textures as the surrounding, unfrozen ground, but be render only.

CtrlAltDestroy
August 12th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Make it doublesided. (Use %)

Bastinka
August 12th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Make it doublesided. (Use %)
Was gonna suggest that, but I kept thinking that $ was the sign for that :\

Arteen
August 12th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Arteen seems to have actually made the ice's texture a mix of blue and the underlying metal texture.
Yep, just an optical illusion.
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/8343/loliceiv0.th.jpg (http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=loliceiv0.jpg)

meepster
August 12th, 2007, 09:37 PM
oo alright. btw arteen great job on the map. And do u have anything other maps your making?

Ki11a_FTW
August 12th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Was gonna suggest that, but I kept thinking that $ was the sign for that :\

fog

Berkut
August 13th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I saw how on the bridge, there is ice and it is transparent, ad can see the material under it, yet you didnt get open edges (im guessing a plain was put over it) how do you make ice like that?
By having more than 2 brain cells to rub together. Looks like you're fucked, then.

LlamaMaster
August 13th, 2007, 10:44 AM
By having more than 2 brain cells to rub together. Looks like you're fucked, then.
What the hell? I don't know who you are, or why you have 3 bars of rep, but that was uncalled for.

:gtfo:

Edit: After looking at your post, I'm surprised your not banned.

Berkut
August 13th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Likewise. :downs:

Masterz1337
August 13th, 2007, 10:58 PM
What the hell? I don't know who you are, or why you have 3 bars of rep, but that was uncalled for.

:gtfo:

Edit: After looking at your post, I'm surprised your not banned.
He's Rossmum

Jay2645
August 14th, 2007, 12:44 AM
He's Rossmum
Figured Ross would be messing around somewhere, always is.

Kornman00
August 14th, 2007, 05:38 AM
He's Rossmum
No, :it is a possum:

Arteen
August 14th, 2007, 12:01 PM
oo alright. btw arteen great job on the map. And do u have anything other maps your making?
Thanks! Yeah, I have a few quick ones I'm working on.

meepster
August 14th, 2007, 02:17 PM
dude not trying to be a kiss ass, but im trying SO hard to even make some kinda like ur map. im making it summer, then converting it to winter. im trying soo hard cuz ur map is fucking insaine. lol. i walked throught it and looked for ideas.. also, how again did u make that whole area that was once water ice?

p0lar_bear
August 14th, 2007, 03:46 PM
dude not trying to be a kiss ass, but im trying SO hard to even make some kinda like ur map. im making it summer, then converting it to winter. im trying soo hard cuz ur map is fucking insaine. lol. i walked throught it and looked for ideas.. also, how again did u make that whole area that was once water ice?

He just put a floor where the water plane was and made the material into ice... nothing special there.

meepster
August 14th, 2007, 03:49 PM
so is thaat liike...cheating open edges? changing it from water to ice

p0lar_bear
August 14th, 2007, 03:51 PM
so is thaat liike...cheating open edges? changing it from water to ice

No, he removed the water and sea floor completely, and in its place, put in a floor. He then applied a material with ice bitmaps and properties to said floor.

You can't compile a structure BSP with open edges.

Masterz1337
August 15th, 2007, 07:27 PM
That's a pretty serious accusation to make, especially since I've posted from school PCs a lot in the past. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened.
Yes, but this convinced me.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5707/hehehehe2.jpg

Jay2645
August 16th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Yes, but this convinced me.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5707/hehehehe2.jpg
Next time Masterz, instead of blurring the top, take a screenie of your own Xfire and cut that part out of your image and into that.
Or maybe digitally add in that to your friends list. Either way, it may leave some tell-tale pixels, but for those who aren't looking for them, it'll look genuine.

Masterz1337
August 16th, 2007, 05:37 AM
It's not my Xfire. I don't even think I have ross on my list. Oh and Jfap says

Rossmum, you're a disaster now. It's like you're falling into a self-destructive state. You're taking this alt account business to a level that is absurd. When you were given permission to make a secondary account, I had never really intended it to be like it is now. It would have been best if you had kept it at a level of correcting members and making them feel like the stupid shit they really are.

Zeph
August 16th, 2007, 05:45 AM
on topic now. If it continues, the poster gets a big fat warning.