PDA

View Full Version : Portals

Jay2645
August 12th, 2007, 02:49 AM
This may sound a little n00bish, but I don't know how to make portals for maps, and I can't find a tut for it on Ghost's site or Halomaps. Anyone know how to?

ICEE
August 12th, 2007, 02:51 AM
portals meaning teleporters? its in the netgame flags, just select portal source/exit and then the team index and place them.

Limited
August 12th, 2007, 05:07 AM
I think he means like, when your far away, the detail goes down.

I have no idea either but would like to know too.

CtrlAltDestroy
August 12th, 2007, 10:02 AM
There is a pretty thorough explanation in the HEK tutorial.

Con
August 12th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I think he means like, when your far away, the detail goes down.

I have no idea either but would like to know too.
That's LOD's, there's something you do with the model before you export it. I think you have a model of high, medium, and low detail all named specially.

For "portals," if you mean adding portals to increase framerate, the tutorial explains that. If you mean portals like teleporters, well, the tutorial explains that too.

kenney001
August 12th, 2007, 01:05 PM
A material +portal will be for dividing the general level, and a material +exactportal will divide indoors from outdoors.

You make large planes that stick out of the enitre BSP on all sides, and place them in networks to define different "clusters" or areas to be rendered. For a better example, here is my +portalling on headlong:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/vote1sanches/portal.jpg
Try to avoid building a portal through an indoor area that is difined by exatportals, because it will cause rendering issues (the level seems to fall off where the portal goes through.)

Exactportals should be placed over ALL exits/entrances/windows/holes to define a closed space for indoors. this helps the engine by not rendering the outside of the exactportals when you are inside them. These are generally used fro buildings/rooms/ bunkers.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/vote1sanches/portal3.jpg

Portals ARE YOUR FRIEND!!! The more the better, but make sure you dont put too many or the engine might stop rendering things you are looking at.

Jay2645
August 13th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Thanks, Kenney.
What do you know, half the people here don't know a thing about portals. I know how to place teleporters, guys. :p
Anyway, locking.