PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle clip?

Sever
August 12th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I just need to know if there is the option to make a vehicle clip, similar to a player clip, used on areas such as modeled stairways to prevent the biped from catching on the edges. I will be having an area with ladders from one level to another, but I do not want any passing vehicles on the upper level to fall into the holes.

I am just wondering if I can make a surface that only prevents active and inactive vehicles, but not bipeds, munitions, dropped weapons, and spent shells from passing.

I will lock this thread once I get an answer as to not clog the tubes of the interwebz. Thanks!

Hunter
August 13th, 2007, 04:45 AM
you could use a plane and then make a script that stops vehicles from goin threw that plane or something like that, i do not know, i will try and find out for you.

fatso784
August 13th, 2007, 06:28 AM
You could make a thin box in the air and give it the +sky material.

Hunter
August 13th, 2007, 08:19 AM
but then spent shells will not go down there because they dissapeare when they hit faces with +sky on them.

Sever
August 13th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Having all objects except vehicles pass through the holes is quite tactically important to me, because this area is right above a base, and it is very helpful to see a plasma rifle or some shotgun shells fall down next to, thus giving you some time to prepare for a counterattack.

Apoc4lypse
August 13th, 2007, 04:50 PM
As far as I know there is no way to do this, the only way I know of is using vehicle floor and vehicle ceiling, but that just creates a plane at the level you to specify on the z axis. (so you could make a vehicle floor at a specific level on the z axis, and on the entire map vehicles would not be able to go below this level, like wise if you made a vehicle ceiling)

but from the way you explained it I dont think that would work for your purpose, because you need vehicles to be able to get below that level, just not able to fall through those holes, in which case idk how you could do this with out stopping other objects.

hmm you might be able to use physics to do it, but im not entirely sure how that would work :-/

I dont know if you can do this but, if you made a "vehicle" gave it physics so it would cover up that hole, but then didnt give it a collision model (dont kno if that would work ingame) then it would only have physics, but no collision model, people dont react with physics really, so a person would just fall through along with grenades and bullets I believe, but vehicles would react with the physics (cuz they have ther own physics) and would just ride over the hole kind of.

Idk... its a crappy method lol

Sever
August 13th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I actually understand what you are saying, and think this might actually work, AND I just need confirmation from another experienced modeler/mapper to tell me if this will work (not to undermine you, but just to get a confirming opinion). I hope that this will work. Thanks!

Hunter
August 14th, 2007, 11:13 AM
you could put a trigger volume over that hole and name the vehicles different names, and then if the vehicles go into the trigger volume which is on the hole a script will make a transparent object which is in a fixed position so the vehicle will just ride over the object

or

the same method with the trigger volume but instead of the script making a object cover the hole you could make another BSP of the same map but have a invisible texture over a plane which is over the hole, so a script can then switch BSP's instead of putting a object over the hole. And the when the vehicle goes out of the trigger volume is switches back the BSP, this will allow other players to get down the hole at the same time because BSP switch doesn't sync unless made to. So only the player in the vehicle will switch BSP's.