PDA

View Full Version : [HALO 3] The Flamethrower and the fourth grenade

Metroid4593
August 13th, 2007, 02:51 PM
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12699

So, apparently it's a fire grenade.

Dole
August 13th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Lulz, there was already a thread about this but it got derailed, dramabomb'd, and deleted. (the 3 D's, heh)

I guess this thread will suffice, though.

Digikid
August 13th, 2007, 03:15 PM
:beating:yep it will.

Now the fire grenade....basically a Napalm Bomb in nade form.

Who else can say....BORING!!!! C'mon the spartans are wearing environmental armor....the only thing this will be good for are the brutes and grunt-kabobs.

hmm....grunt kabobs.....who wants their grunt rare?:D

leorimolo
August 13th, 2007, 03:24 PM
It's a brute weapon, look at the spikes

Atty
August 13th, 2007, 03:25 PM
C'mon Digi, this is the Halo community, we need all the flame causing weapons we can have for our arsenal. :downs:

Dole
August 13th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Who else can say....BORING!!!! C'mon the spartans are wearing environmental armor....
It might not be able to permeate the armor or the internal temperature moderating systems easily unless in dense quantity, but it rips through shields like bloody hell. The fact that in Halo 3 (like Halo 2) that you have only have one bar of vitality to reinforce the shield system, coupled with the fact that the fuel is an adhesive that burns at high temperatures, makes Flamethrowers and Incendiaries as effective as they need to be.

Digikid
August 13th, 2007, 03:35 PM
It's a brute weapon, look at the spikes

umm...no. It is a HUMAN weapon and those are not spikes. The are fins that will stabilize the flight path when thrown.

http://www.bungie.net/images/News/InlineImages2007/firebomb.jpg

Atty. I agree....but it just feels like it does not belong in the Halo Universe to me. Thats all. I mean what is so high tech about a flamethrower?

Bastinka
August 13th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Good use against the flood, and it's cool!

Digikid
August 13th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Ah yes....I forgot about the flood...

Okay...good use. for flood-kabobs as well. :D

Dole
August 13th, 2007, 03:47 PM
umm...no. It is a HUMAN weapon and those are not spikes. The are fins that will stabilize the flight path when thrown.
The article refers to it in passing as indeed being a Brute armament... in SEVERAL instances.

The shape was inspired by a UNSC concept grenade, yes, but it is itself Brute tech, based on a scrapped pre-H2 Brute concept explosive.

Archon23
August 13th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Atty. I agree....but it just feels like it does not belong in the Halo Universe to me. Thats all. I mean what is so high tech about a flamethrower?

Regarding Human Weapon......uh no. Type 3. Remember what the Spiker and the Spike Nade was? Type 25 and Type 1. First piece of proof. And we don't know what the filler is. So how the hell would we manufacture these nades if we don't know whats inside them? And if you read the remarks you'll see comments that the covenant use these grenades. Case in point, its a brute weapon.

Also whats so high-tech about a rocket launcher, assault rifle, pistol, shotgun, or sniper rifle? Besides its a defoliant. AKA Used to clear dense packs of plants. No human in their right mind would carry that into combat...........well besides chief.

Digikid
August 13th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I must have missed that Dole....can you point it out to me please?

Arch: Yeah I know....none of the tech in Halo is futuristic human wise.

Ok I goofed up....it is a brute weapon....Sorry guys.

Archon23
August 13th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Edit: Guess the point was cleared up since you edited the message AFTER I POSTED THIS ONE.

Digikid
August 13th, 2007, 03:56 PM
umm...read my post AFTER your post please. It already acknowledges that I said that i was wrong. As for what is inside of them? Type of Napalm or Plasma.

kthxbi. :)

Edward Elrich
August 13th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Whatever it is, according to Bungie, looking directly at it can cause temporary blindness. (as the article says, "the intensity of the light is potentially hazardous to the retina." I'm sure this is including the polarization of the Spartan helmet.)

Teh Ganon
August 13th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I cant wait to see what the explosion is going to look like.

ExAm
August 13th, 2007, 11:01 PM
:beating:yep it will.

Now the fire grenade....basically a Napalm Bomb in nade form.

Who else can say....BORING!!!! C'mon the spartans are wearing environmental armor....the only thing this will be good for are the brutes and grunt-kabobs.

hmm....grunt kabobs.....who wants their grunt rare?:DBoring, huh? Just because it technically shouldn't work on anyone wearing that armor doesn't mean it can't be awesome to kill fellow Spartans with.

http://www.bungie.net/images/News/InlineImages2007/firebomb.jpg

Atty. I agree....but it just feels like it does not belong in the Halo Universe to me. Thats all. I mean what is so high tech about a flamethrower?No. It's a brute weapon. The "type" designation is only used for brute weapons. Read the update. The testimonials from the Marines near the end state that the Brutes use them. Besides, what Human weapon glows like that?

EDIT: Sorry, failed to read the whole thread :(

Con
August 13th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Whatever it is, according to Bungie, looking directly at it can cause temporary blindness. (as the article says, "the intensity of the light is potentially hazardous to the retina." I'm sure this is including the polarization of the Spartan helmet.)
yeah, I saw that too. I wonder if it doubles as a flash-bang of sorts.

also, it says that the flamethrower normally ships with a cart to push around on since it's so heavy, to answer my question in the old thread. Yeah, def not meant to be a weapon.

itszutak
August 13th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Screw what it says, I am never letting go of that flame-fountain. :D

Archon23
August 14th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't see it as a fire/flashbang grenade. We don't need TWO flash bang type weapons. I mean remember, theres a flash grenade type equipment. I may be wrong though so if I am someone prove me wrong.

Jay2645
August 14th, 2007, 01:09 AM
I don't know how effective the flamer will be against the flood this time around, as you become very slow due to the weight of the thing, and I prefer to run from the flood. Although, if you can't run, (Like on the elevator in H2) I suppose I'll pick it up and make me some Flood-Kabobs.
The Fire nade will definitely come in handy against the beasties, but Kornman's tread has lead me to believe the Flood are a LOT harder.
And, since they are bringing back all sorts of H1 and H2 stuff, I have a feeling we'll be facing off against a 30 ft. tall Juggernaut soon. Maybe make an achievement for beating the fucking thing, since it can kill you in ONE FUCKING SHOT!
Anyway, already read this from an external source, sounds awesome.

Veegie
August 14th, 2007, 01:20 AM
You already get an achievement for beating the level itself...

Botolf
August 14th, 2007, 03:29 AM
After hearing about the Public Beta code pointing to the flamethrower, I'm really glad it's actually being included, 'twas fun using it in Halo PC, and should prove interesting to see how it'll behave in Halo 3.

Atty
August 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Think: Riding on the back of a mongoose with a flame thrower leaving a trail of flames. That'll be big laughs.

Botolf
August 14th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I thought mounting a vehicle while carrying a support weapon wasn't doable in the beta.

But a flamethrower on a mongoose? Damn, that'd be fun :XD:

leorimolo
August 14th, 2007, 11:46 AM
From the pictures I think the flamethrower will be a 3rd person weap, meaning we can't use it vehicles

Dole
August 14th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Question: you can't melee with TP weapons, right?

Botolf
August 14th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Wasn't one of the lucky 100,000 or so who got to play, but I think you can't melee either. Would make sense, though.

leorimolo
August 14th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Question: you can't melee with TP weapons, right?
No you can't :(

Botolf
August 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM
On the topic of the flamethrower, I'm sure some of you have noticed the crazy range on this beast:

http://www.bungie.net/images/News/InlineImages2007/FlameOnTopNews.jpg

:lol:

teh lag
August 14th, 2007, 01:17 PM
For some reason I really hate the way those particles look...

Masterz1337
August 14th, 2007, 02:15 PM
The people who have played later betas all told me that it look realistic ingame.

Botolf
August 14th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I'd like to see the flame in-motion, stupid stills and their deceitful nature.

FireDragon04
August 15th, 2007, 09:26 AM
On the topic of the flamethrower, I'm sure some of you have noticed the crazy range on this beast:

http://www.bungie.net/images/News/InlineImages2007/FlameOnTopNews.jpg

:lol:

Would be because its a Support weapon. As is the chain gun and missile pod.

But i think the game is lookin' super nice now anyway so... where all not to far away from release...why not just wait and see for out selves ?

LlamaMaster
August 15th, 2007, 10:37 AM
For some reason I really hate the way those particles look...
I agree. Although I don't know what it looks like if motion, from the pic it looks nothing like a flame thrower. To anybody who doesn't know what the flame should look like, youtube flame thrower.

TIA Gangsta
August 15th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Looks like they're cramming in everything they ever wanted into the game. I think all the concepts from Halo 2 are now in Halo 3, and missed out features in Halo 2 from Halo 1 are now in (e.g. Flamethrower).
Perhaps we'll see some concepts from Halo 1 pre-xbox (the one that was being designed for Mac PCs) appear in some form in Halo 3? Bungie did say in they're Q&A that there are "lots" of weapons/vehicles not shown yet.

LlamaMaster
August 15th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Looks like they're cramming in everything they ever wanted into the game. I think all the concepts from Halo 2 are now in Halo 3, and missed out features in Halo 2 from Halo 1 are now in (e.g. Flamethrower).
Perhaps we'll see some concepts from Halo 1 pre-xbox (the one that was being designed for Mac PCs) appear in some form in Halo 3? Bungie did say in they're Q&A that there are "lots" of weapons/vehicles not shown yet.
I know this is off-topic, but did they announce if H3 has race or not?

Dr Dmoney
August 15th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah it is brute weaponry.
Proof:
Located Remarks Section (http://www.bungie.net/projects/halo3/content.aspx?link=h3fourthgrenade)

“It doesn’t burn under water—unless it’s already on something and burning. A thermite grenade will burn under water and that crap has been around forever. Hey, is it just me or does Brute tech seem to be all over the map? Either there’s no info sharing on Brutonia or something bad happened.”
It is a brute weapon...

KIWIDOGGIE
August 15th, 2007, 03:43 PM
that firenade looks like it would suck if you droped right below you and watched it burn ^^

Agamemnon
August 15th, 2007, 04:39 PM
What we call Pre-Halo 1 is stuff that never made it to Halo 1. They were going to have homing rockets, a machete, the energy sword, a Covy sniper rifle, the Spectre, and as well as some other things...which all made their appearance in Halo 2 (except for the machete).

But you are right. Nothing has really been new from them. They're just bringing in a lot of content they weren't able to finish for the second game into the third.

Botolf
August 15th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I know this is off-topic, but did they announce if H3 has race or not?

Updates have alluded to a new vehicle-related game-type, and using checkpoints in Forge, grounds for speculation, at least.

Archon23
August 15th, 2007, 05:58 PM
This is offtopic but I'm pretty sure I saw the mauler in one of the pre-Halo 1 movies they did showing what was going to be in the original Halo. Same barrel rotating design though not sure if it was a shotgun or not.

Nick
August 15th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Screw what it says, I am never letting go of that flame-fountain. :DYou're such a flamer.

Nick