PDA

View Full Version : [WIP]Forgotten_Falls

Random
December 23rd, 2006, 12:37 PM
I do not make threads like this very often, but I like where this map is going so I felt like showing some renders of it.

The map is a cave map and is of medium size. I just hope it plays well :eyesroll:

Update 3:
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i5/Random846/forgotten_falls-1.jpg

update 2:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i5/Random846/Forgotten_falls4.jpg

Update 1:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i5/Random846/cavething3.jpg

First post:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i5/Random846/forgotten_falls2.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i5/Random846/forgotten_falls3.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i5/Random846/forgotten_falls1.jpg

SnaFuBAR
December 23rd, 2006, 12:54 PM
work on the structures. they're kinda boring.

Stealth
December 23rd, 2006, 12:54 PM
wow, that looks like a nice lay out.
looks better then some of my map Ideas...

mech
December 23rd, 2006, 01:43 PM
work on the structures. they're kinda boring.

Mb offer insight on what to add to make them unboring? Looks excellent to me.

PenGuin1362
December 23rd, 2006, 02:14 PM
i'd say just random details, think about what kind of structure you're making then just put something on there that would make sense

SnaFuBAR
December 23rd, 2006, 02:47 PM
Mb offer insight on what to add to make them unboring? Looks excellent to me.

how about less random extrusions that don't make sense? how about more to it than what it has? details? it's blocks with chamfers and random extrusions at the moment.

it doesn't look designed, it looks more like that was the outcome of messing around.

Dole
December 23rd, 2006, 07:21 PM
Good thing the still-square stalactites are a work in progress.
But what I would like to see is progress on Voi, if that's still going.

mR_r0b0to
December 23rd, 2006, 07:37 PM
how about less random extrusions that don't make sense? how about more to it than what it has? details? it's blocks with chamfers and random extrusions at the moment.

it doesn't look designed, it looks more like that was the outcome of messing around.

those extrusions are stalactites/stalagmites, i think...
unless you're talking about something else

looks cool imo

Random
December 23rd, 2006, 07:42 PM
those extrusions are stalactites/stalagmites, i think...
unless you're talking about something else

looks cool imo

Snafu was taking about the structures.

mR_r0b0to
December 23rd, 2006, 08:07 PM
ah nvm, lol.

my bad snaf.. :ashamed:

Teroh
December 23rd, 2006, 09:18 PM
I like it! More detail!

TeeKup
December 24th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Forerunner cavern? More I say!

SgtBotley
December 24th, 2006, 05:31 PM
i like it, dont listen to Snafs hes a "perfectionist" , Those "random Extrusions" make it look cool.

SnaFuBAR
December 24th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I think it's better to be a perfectionist than someone who half-asses things.

Random
December 24th, 2006, 07:15 PM
i like it, dont listen to Snafs hes a "perfectionist" , Those "random Extrusions" make it look cool.

I would rather listen to snafu, He knows what he is talking about. And whats wrong with wanting things perfect. I know it will never be perfect but if I aim to be perfect and fall short, its still going to be better then if I leave it as is.

If I did not want comments on the model, then I would not have posted it. What snafu or anyone says could be improved helps me make a better looking map.

PlasbianX
December 24th, 2006, 07:16 PM

Ill be your friend since you dont have any.

Always settle for nothing less than perfect. Why release a crap map, when you can push your self and release something spectacular.

Btd69
December 24th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Speak for yourself PlasbianX.

I like the way the map is heading, but the structures do need work; Try basing them off actual maps from Halo :)

rossmum
December 25th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I thought I already told you otherwise? Snaf is probably the most helpful person here, and whoever chooses not to listen honestly doesn't have a hope in hell of getting anywhere. Spoon-feeding compliments to people only inflates their egos and prevents them from actually ever improving their work. Why else would he tell people a horribly disfigured box is shit? Because it is, and if he told them otherwise they'd continue under the illusion that they were actually making anything besides a horrible mess. He even says what needs improving; you can't get much more helpful than that.

That said, I like the map so far. Looks both original and pretty nice, though it could do with some more of the typical Forerunner structures. Perhaps those large cube-like things on the floor and such? I'm thinking of the holobridge, right now...

I think it's better to be a perfectionist than someone who half-asses things.
Seconded.

SgtBotley
December 25th, 2006, 09:02 PM
lol, i come here to mainly get inspiration and to observe other peoples work. Compliments boost egos, and make that person enthusiastic about their project, what i see Snaf doing is puttin down their work, and giving help that matches what he would like to see. Something doesnt need to be perfect to be of a computer game standard. It has to be of a certain quality that if a developer released it in a game, the player wouldnt be confused as to wtf that model was doing in it.

Old classics like halflife, the gun models are most basic, but the skin makes it look good.
I understand that Halo is a more poly friendly game than Halflife but the models dont have to be so intracate that you can see the moisture of a fingerprint on the Grip.

Sheesh!, yes i agree with aim for perfect, but when you reach a stage where you would believe that your model would pass for a game and are happy with it, dont be put down by harsh critisism, just have fun.

Thats what modelling is after all 'well it is for me', its a hobby.

SnaFuBAR
December 25th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Where am I putting down the work? Good lord, you would never survive in my world. You would probably /wrists... I'm being more helpful than you've ever been. Giving help with what I would like to see? You must have your head up your ass pretty deep. I give general design directions that would help to fit the style they're trying to achieve. You know, understanding design language and how to approach it, then divulging this information is actually helpful. I don't see you helping in any way.

SgtBotley
December 25th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Thats lovely Snaf, Merry Christmas:D

Edit: i actually went back and read your post.

1)
You must have your head up your ass pretty deep

That was the huge impression i got off you.

2) We are very different indeed, i dont give a flying f*** what people really think of my work , as i just like response so i know im headin in the right tracks. As i can see that this forum is a massive part of your life, and take everything that people say to heart.

3) the rest i just ignored, and would like to apologise to Random, for ruining your post with this rubbish - Sorry

DaneO'Roo
December 25th, 2006, 10:01 PM
looks great. Just make the middle tall tower less of a box. Doesn't have to be etremely extravagantly modelled. Sometimes that makes a map look likes its trying to hard imo. Simplicity can sometimes be good. Look at gulch, or hang em high for instance. Just as long as it plays great, and looks great its fine. No point in going all out overdoing modelling and making a map that has retarded game play, because of all these intricate little hallways and such. though it depends on the design your going for. Bungie seems to be more of a simple design structure, but mostly keeping gameplay in mind. Just do what you wish, and have fun while doing it

SgtBotley
December 25th, 2006, 10:24 PM
exactly

SnaFuBAR
December 25th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Y'know, I do care what knowledgable, educated people think of my work. I am a student of design, so I take it very seriously. I'm only here to help people with their learning, and learn a few things myself. Forums aren't a huge part of my life, but my ART and my DESIGN are. I'm on a course towards profession, NOT hobby. So, when I actually give crit, I have my head in the clear, and I know what I'm talking about, not up my ass like you.

Next time you want to bait me into an argument for no reason, be prepared.

Indeed, we are very different. Whereas you may be trying to boost egos and not really help, I'm here helping and boosting knowledge and ability to execute ideas. Now STFU child.

SgtBotley
December 25th, 2006, 11:50 PM
lol Alright Guru, calm down.... snafs you gotta take it easy :D .
im studying 3d design, and i find it a passion and fun. sounds like you're beating yourself to do it, all im gonna say is, you obviously have issues, so could you stop loitering Randoms Thread

SnaFuBAR
December 26th, 2006, 12:04 AM
I'm beating myself to do it? LOL! That's hillarious. My only issue is you coming into this thread to initiate an argument with me. Just think about it, had you not just been a dickhead, would all this happen? Quite obviously not.

mech
December 26th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Haha dickhead, I wonder how they breathe o_0

SnaFuBAR
December 26th, 2006, 12:15 AM
That, sir, is disgusting, yet I laughed O_o...

Anyways, Random, I see lots of potential in this work you have here. Good gameplay is important, but so is presentation and work quality. You can work off of existing Forerunner structures, or check out some in the "The Art of Halo" book. There was some very interesting designs in there, and I really think you'd like them.

rossmum
December 26th, 2006, 12:18 AM

Botley, I'd watch the "you just put down others' work" crap. If all you want to hear is positive stuff from people who either don't know better or don't really care, you'll end up the same way as SVC (albeit with more talent). Modeling might be a hobby to you, but if you ever plan to show your work then you better learn to take honest crits, no matter how harsh they are. Padding it with false compliments helps nobody, you need to realise that.

Btd69
December 26th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Critism is critism. Botley, no matter how upfront and demeaning critism is; it's just that. Critism. Either you take it or you don't, and if you can't then a forum isn't the place for you.

TheGhost
December 26th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Looks pretty sweet. Is it like a smaller version of Waterworks type of map?

Random
December 26th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Looks pretty sweet. Is it like a smaller version of Waterworks type of map?

Yah, I was hoping to make it have more waterworkish structures but that really didn't work out as well as I hoped.

SnaFuBAR
December 26th, 2006, 02:28 PM
A lot of the angles the forerunner architecture are visually close to 45 and 30 degree angles. Try some of that.

Bodzilla
January 1st, 2007, 06:40 PM
this looks great man, i really like where your going with this.

Random
January 1st, 2007, 07:41 PM
Well I didn't have a huge amount of time this week but this is what I have after my winter vacation. As you can see I now have water, but thats really just there to show the layout because the texture did not turnout as well as I hoped :v.

Crit as always is welcome. And I know the exit hole in the center looks like shit :lol:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i5/Random846/cavething3.jpg

rossmum
January 1st, 2007, 07:43 PM
Awesome.

SgtBotley
January 1st, 2007, 08:12 PM
Holy F*** good job

TeeKup
January 1st, 2007, 08:36 PM
I like it.

Reaper Man
January 1st, 2007, 08:59 PM
What you need are some planes running down the sides of a few of your structures then make a running water shader, not waterfall as that's too fast. To make it look as if water is running down the structures. Atm it doesn't seem to fit the criteria of anything "Forerunner."

rossmum
January 1st, 2007, 09:17 PM
That would be awesome. :O

Perhaps have some sort of lethal, continuous beam running along the length of the map so you have to find a way over/under it. Would bring out some interesting gameplay, like that fusion reactor room map. I always loved that one, it was a blast.

Pooky
January 1st, 2007, 09:35 PM
What would be great, is a map with metal forerunner ish cliffs on 2 sides with big projectors creating lazer platforms of a lightbridge flavor all across it, and walkways going over the top, and there are little structures sitting atop some of the platforms [/random]

Random
January 21st, 2007, 06:56 PM
Update

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i5/Random846/Forgotten_falls4.jpg

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
January 21st, 2007, 07:01 PM
The cavern walls should be more rounded, them being straight like that is ugly. :(

soloblast
January 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM
It kinda reminds me of Mothergoat's Anxiety, and it looks a lot like the ruins on Delta Halo. Nice work. :)

Btd69
January 21st, 2007, 07:42 PM
Walls def. need more work done, looking good though.

rossmum
January 21st, 2007, 08:04 PM
Yeah, looks great!

An Emu
January 21st, 2007, 10:20 PM
wow the buildings look great! just put a noise modifier on the cliffs to make them more random/ add a few more polies to them first

Bodzilla
January 22nd, 2007, 02:53 AM
Yeah, looks great!
wat he said^

Limited
January 22nd, 2007, 04:55 AM
Fucking hell random your modeling skills came out of no where :D

Great work dude, this map looks extremtly fun, I like how its on different levels such as the ground, in the bases on the like ramps that go around. Makes great gameplay

SgtBotley
January 22nd, 2007, 03:13 PM
i like the edges on the walls = sniperage, If they are for walking on that is.

Random
March 26th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Update 3:
Its been in game but It looked like crap, the lighting is not final, in fact the map does not have a roof yet, but this for testing the basic shaders and textures, as well as seeing possible issues. I am going to make major changes to the bases and extra details (stalagmites and stalactites) but the layout is just about final :).

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i5/Random846/forgotten_falls-1.jpg

m13120
March 26th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Not to be harsh, but the blue..whatever it is looks horrible

HDoan
March 26th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Is that water?

DaneO'Roo
March 26th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Ive got a feeling that water looks really pretty as its moving, stationary pictures dont show off shaders too well. Though, I think the water coul look better if it was more of a green, with less white

the map so far looks astonishing, seriously, just seen the first page and wow :)

Random
March 26th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Ive got a feeling that water looks really pretty as its moving, stationary pictures dont show off shaders too well. Though, I think the water coul look better if it was more of a green, with less white
:)

Yah the water is like beaver creeks but not as unrealistic looking. Also the color of the water and such will be determined later when I finish up the modeling, and can make some custom cubemaps.

TeeKup
March 27th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Looking at the water is like an acid trip, well from this angle it is.

mech
March 28th, 2007, 07:49 AM
ill take my word for it you're a faggot :D