PDA

View Full Version : Recorded Animations

Inferno
August 17th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Im trying to find a tutorial on Recorded Animations... these are weird animations that are like compiled into the scenerio and u use them to make vehicles move in game without haveing to use a ai driver. i need to make or use a whole for a solo player map im working on. theres a part were some wounded marines are evacuated by pelican and i sorta need a pelican to do that. there are alot of other areas were i needed vehicels that can move useing this. so help would be apreciated.

teh lag
August 17th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Creating custom recorded animations in the toolset we have is impossible. While you can start, stop, and save recordings, Sapien does not allow you to move the unit you are controlling while recording, making whatever you do useless.

Ki11a_FTW
August 17th, 2007, 07:14 PM
^ he is right

Apoc4lypse
August 17th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Creating custom recorded animations in the toolset we have is impossible. While you can start, stop, and save recordings, Sapien does not allow you to move the unit you are controlling while recording, making whatever you do useless.

I wonder why they locked this out, thers gotta be some way to enable it, I mean half the hek was locked when we got it and kornman unlocked it, shudnt we be able to do the same with this I would imagine... idk..

Inferno
August 17th, 2007, 07:18 PM
so epkilla how did u get ur covie dropships flying in madness?

also did bungie disable the ability to move vehicles during recording. like how they removed most stuff from h2ek. cause if they did. anyway to unlock?

Ki11a_FTW
August 17th, 2007, 07:41 PM
imported one from a30

Inferno
August 17th, 2007, 08:11 PM
and u did that how? cause i could get mine from a30 also. cause its just a pelican pickup and pelican dropoff.

teh lag
August 17th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Playing recording animations is a different story - if you import one from a Bungie SP level (sapien, file>import recordings, select a scanrio) you can play them on a unit with the recording_play script commands.

FRain
August 17th, 2007, 09:23 PM
So it's possible that you could make an animation and make it special say cutscene_custom.model_animation and make it play? If that was the case that'd be awesome.

Inferno
August 17th, 2007, 09:33 PM
these arent model animations. model animations are a completely differnt type of thing.

so basically i can import but i cant record...

well... i guess ill have to make do with what i have thx for the replys. i just moved to this forum cause no one no's anything beyond basic hek stuff at Halomods and i was kinda anoyed that no one was anwsering any questions there....

i dont under stand what bunige is thinking, whats the point in disabling parts of sapien and guerilla. its not doing anything but being anoying.

Con
August 17th, 2007, 10:33 PM
wasn't someone able to use a controller to move a biped, or was that just my imagination.

Jay2645
August 18th, 2007, 01:11 AM
If it was possible, then it's a good thing I have my 360 wired controller hooked up to my 360 and ready for easy transfer to my computer at any time.

Inferno
August 18th, 2007, 01:41 AM
see if it works. cause ihave some 360 controllers in my closet. theyd be next to my hdtv but a certain object of mine overheated and the gpu meltzed...

btw +rep to the person who gets it to work ;)

Choking Victim
August 18th, 2007, 09:37 AM
see if it works. cause ihave some 360 controllers in my closet. theyd be next to my hdtv but a certain object of mine overheated and the gpu meltzed...

btw +rep to the person who gets it to work ;)
doesn't work, the only way i see recorded animations working is if you get the chief to move, and i dont think that code is in sapien any longer.

edit: is it possible to create an external app for sapien to make mc move around? i doubt it, but just thought i would ask.

Apoc4lypse
August 18th, 2007, 07:24 PM
hmm, I wonder if there is a way to make recorded animations, other than recording them in sapien...

because if u can import recorded animations, all we need to do is make a recorded animation. If someone could make an application that made recorded animation files, then all wed have to do is import the recorded animations. Course I'm, not saying thats easy to do lol, just an idea.

Basically wud need to figure out the format that the recorded animations are in and such, maybe make it so u can create the animations with 3dsmax then somehow have a script export the animations as recorded animations to be imported into sapien, idk... we'd need someone good at programming and script writing.

teh lag
August 18th, 2007, 07:49 PM
hmm, I wonder if there is a way to make recorded animations, other than recording them in sapien...

because if u can import recorded animations, all we need to do is make a recorded animation. If someone could make an application that made recorded animation files, then all wed have to do is import the recorded animations. Course I'm, not saying thats easy to do lol, just an idea.

Basically wud need to figure out the format that the recorded animations are in and such, maybe make it so u can create the animations with 3dsmax then somehow have a script export the animations as recorded animations to be imported into sapien, idk... we'd need someone good at programming and script writing.

That won't work. Recorded animations are not so much animations as they are recorded movement inputs that are played back on units. Also, they're imported form other scenarios, not raw data when using the import recordings commands.

FRain
August 18th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Could you jery-rig it so that you could play a recorded animation and make so the cutscene makes you go back to the same place? Make it kind of obvious it cant be done, like the MC walks up to a button, pushes it and whacks on it then walks back in position?

Zeph
August 18th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Could you jery-rig it so that you could play a recorded animation and make so the cutscene makes you go back to the same place? Make it kind of obvious it cant be done, like the MC walks up to a button, pushes it and whacks on it then walks back in position?

You dont seem to understand what a recorded animation is.

doesn't work, the only way i see recorded animations working is if you get the chief to move, and i dont think that code is in sapien any longer.

edit: is it possible to create an external app for sapien to make mc move around? i doubt it, but just thought i would ask.

The code is no longer in the Halo 1 Sapien.

CodeBrain
August 18th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Covie dropship has a model_animation's file specficly for a50, so it means that its the drop ship that comes out on the end of the level (keys driving the covie dropship?)

Zeph
August 18th, 2007, 08:46 PM

Recorded animations are essentially the Halo 1 equivalent to what Halo 3 calls saved games. The RAs are pretty much all the movement data associated with a character/vehicle in the scenario. I've often thought about trying to export one from a scenario and seeing if it would be simple to reproduce/recreate in notepad.
There's one thing you have to remember when 'doing' anything with recorded animations is Bungie absolutely despised them. They completely removed it's use when they moved on to Halo 2. That's why you see such completely different vehicle animation styles in Halo 1 and Halo 2. Those phantoms and pelicans are moving along a path that was written and Max. It's that sort of thing now :\. At least they seem to have cleaned up the process in Halo 3.

But really, the most hilarious thing is how they cut out the code for RA in the Halo 1 sapien, either intentional or by complete accident, yet left it completely intact in the Halo 2 Sapien even though they dont use it at all. I bitched and begged for Korn to move the code back into Halo 1, but no joy. I cried and pouted for a while, but then I remembered we've moved on to better/more expensive things.

Kornman00
August 18th, 2007, 08:58 PM
It should be corrected that AFAIK, it was gearbox's doing that removed RA toolkit interface from H1Sapien (its engine code is still there in its entirety)

I'm pretty sure H2Sapien is the same.

As for Bungie's internal builds, even for them it was a hassle even for them to use, and in Halo 2 they outsourced some of their cinematics (to meet deadlines) and its ALOT easier to prototype those fucking things [cinematics] in max or maya (as you can see in the development documentary included with limited edition Halo 2). Not only are they made for doing animations and shit, but their source data are made in them too.

malolo420
August 19th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Maybe promethues can.

Kornman00
August 19th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Last I checked, no one on that team knows how that system worked. N- had asked me to figure it out for prom, but I didn't feel it to be important enough feature (it can be done much better with custom animations).

Ki11a_FTW
August 19th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Covie dropship has a model_animation's file specficly for a50, so it means that its the drop ship that comes out on the end of the level (keys driving the covie dropship?)

Thats the animation when captain keys runs over the hunters with the dropship, that is not a recorded animation, it is what they call a "cinematic animation".

Last I checked, no one on that team knows how that system worked. N- had asked me to figure it out for prom, but I didn't feel it to be important enough feature (it can be done much better with custom animations).

It is very important for us sp mappers.

Choking Victim
August 19th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Thats the animation when captain keys runs over the hunters with the dropship, that is not a recorded animation, it is what they call a "cinematic animation".

It is very important for us sp mappers.
not really, you could still accomplish whats possible with r/a's in max, but max is way more capable.

CtrlAltDestroy
August 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Only problem with custom animations is that it wont affect object attachments based on functions like RA's will. (ie: pelican thrusters)

Choking Victim
August 19th, 2007, 12:23 PM
^ true CAD, but you could always create a seperate vehicle with those features constantly on like i did with the drop pods, though tag space will skyrocket with a map full of custom animated vehicles.

Ki11a_FTW
August 19th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Recorded anims arent usually a problem for me, i can usually find one from another scenario that fits my area in the map.

Kornman00
August 20th, 2007, 11:03 AM
To bad this isn't halo 2.

^ true CAD, but you could always create a seperate vehicle with those features constantly on like i did with the drop pods, though tag space will skyrocket with a map full of custom animated vehicles.
Should be able to just use an AI to drive the pelican. Make it go to a point, then use a bunch of points to simulate smooht turning.

In max, use bsp markers for simulating the the final path. Then use the attach to markers flag in sapien when your placing the points the AI for the pelican will follow.