PDA

View Full Version : [HALO 3] Here's a what the fuck moment for you.

Zeph
August 21st, 2007, 07:16 AM
Bungie has a complete range of tools and methods for replaying saved game data. Multiplayer matches, stunting, and machinima scenes will be easy to get from the 360 to youtube. With that said, and Bungie's clearly speaking their intentions with this feature, why has Microsoft made their latest move (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/developer/rules.htm)? What do you think about this? What do you think will result? Will there be a change to this rule in the future or will they scour the internet looking to get rid of all the Halo 3 footage with sound?

thehoodedsmack
August 21st, 2007, 07:25 AM
I think there's a topic discussing this already, Mr. Moderator. It's titled "SONY rule" or something like that. On topic, dumb move.

Zeph
August 21st, 2007, 07:48 AM
:\. Wth is it doing in the h2v general section?

DaneO'Roo
August 21st, 2007, 08:00 AM
LMFAO I never thought about that. Stupid Microsuck, fuck up their own game lmao

Dr Nick
August 21st, 2007, 08:26 AM
It's Microshaft!

I don't think many people are going to pay attention to it though.

Rosco
August 21st, 2007, 08:41 AM

Didnt one of the bungie employees say the new save game feature will allow you to save you best moments and share with your friends, if you share with your friends, you can't delete the sound. (Xbox Live sharing) I would laugh my ass off if after Halo 3 is done Bungie get bought by Sony. :lol:

Masterz1337
August 21st, 2007, 09:04 AM
I hardly think they will enforce the new rule. They will only target BIG mod teams and the such.

Archon23
August 21st, 2007, 09:51 AM
Well I'll say what I said in the other thread.

Ahem. Microsoft. 'Nuff said.

et_cg
August 21st, 2007, 11:22 AM
This thread could litterally be made in each game category, because it involves Halo 1, Halo 2, and Halo 3 (when released). I just put that post there because the video with it was made in Halo 2, and was just :awesome:

:D

Enjoy:

JxYi1DGctP8

Snowy
August 21st, 2007, 11:26 AM
So Basically, Microsoft is essentially putting DRM on its games. Correct?

Terry
August 21st, 2007, 12:15 PM
Bungie has a complete range of tools and methods for replaying saved game data. Multiplayer matches, stunting, and machinima scenes will be easy to get from the 360 to youtube.

Really? Source?

ImSpartacus
August 21st, 2007, 12:46 PM
Really? Source?

common sense maybe?

anyway, i don't think this is so bad. i always thought ms kept this kind of power at all times and just never really minitored much of anything. so they basic rules still apply; don't make $ off anything u make & credit bungie/ms.

the sound/music thing is kind of odd, but it think bungie makes their own music and stuff, so its ok.

even with all the rules, its likely just going to truly apply to the big public projects. halo pc doesnt really count. maybe cmt's sp mods, since they get a tad bit of coverage (i think the first had a small page of b.net news at release), but not much else.

i dont think ms is really shooting itself in the foot, as much as simply making sure it can pull the reins back on anything especially threatening (ie- that c&c halo mod, halogen when halo wars was about to be announced).

Terry
August 21st, 2007, 12:53 PM
common sense maybe?

You obviously don't have a clue how the save-film feature works if you honestly believe it is "common sense". Bungie would have to go through alot of work to get it on youtube and unless they confirm it, it's not happening. Most likely it'll be just as easy as halo 2, using capture cards, which is actually rather expensive and not "easy".

Archon23
August 21st, 2007, 12:59 PM
Hmmm I wonder what Microsoft is gonna do with the upcoming EaW and HW2 Halo mods.......

Zeph
August 21st, 2007, 02:03 PM
You obviously don't have a clue how the save-film feature works if you honestly believe it is "common sense". Bungie would have to go through alot of work to get it on youtube and unless they confirm it, it's not happening. Most likely it'll be just as easy as halo 2, using capture cards, which is actually rather expensive and not "easy".
http://www.google.com/search?q=video+capture+card&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

You're epic win. How do you think red vs blue worked? Yes, it is common sense. Youtube is a personal computer service. Saved films are an xbox service. How do you bridge the gap?

Terry
August 21st, 2007, 02:24 PM
EDIT:
Nevermind, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were speaking of uploading films to youtube straight off your 360. My mistake.

And thanks, I know I'm made of win.

Random
August 21st, 2007, 02:43 PM
Didnt one of the bungie employees say the new save game feature will allow you to save you best moments and share with your friends, if you share with your friends, you can't delete the sound. (Xbox Live sharing) I would laugh my ass off if after Halo 3 is done Bungie get bought by Sony. :lol:

Yah but you will need halo 3 to view the videos, because its just a recording of information which allows for a match to be recreated, running in real time off the xbox 360.

FRain
August 22nd, 2007, 03:13 PM
Next thing you know Red vs Blue will be smacked upside the head with a C&D. Failure.

Random
August 22nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Next thing you know Red vs Blue will be smacked upside the head with a C&D. Failure.

Nope, because RvB has been sold for profit thus, Rooster teeth must have some agreement of sorts with bungie and microsoft otherwise they couldn't sell their videos.

TeeKup
August 22nd, 2007, 03:58 PM
The agreement RvB has with Microsoft I'm guessing has rooster teeth submit some amount of their profit to them.

This is a way for Microsoft to get more money. If they can't get money from it, they'll force you to contract with them so they can get it. They don't want potential money-making material to be marketed for free like all the Freelancer machinima makers have been doing for a long time.

Warsaw
August 22nd, 2007, 08:03 PM
Typical Microsoft.

Skiiran
August 22nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
I think the answer is simpler than we think, here.

Mainly, all of Bungie's sounds are made in-house (I think), and therefore, they are exempt from the rule, since they're part of Microsoft.

Veegie
August 24th, 2007, 04:13 AM
No, they didn't. Assuming you meant Microsoft.

It's Microshaft!
No it's not.

I'm going to suggest you all listen to Dennis... (http://hcec.halomaps.org/news.cfm?nid=323)

ExAm
August 26th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I think the answer is simpler than we think, here.

Mainly, all of Bungie's sounds are made in-house (I think), and therefore, they are exempt from the rule, since they're part of Microsoft.Some of the sounds are from the original Perfect Dark, and some other games. I don't think many of the sounds that aren't engines or loops are original.

Veegie
August 26th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Did you just say that sounds from Halo 1 and 2 are from Perfect Dark?...

ExAm
August 26th, 2007, 03:34 AM
I've heard a few in PD that I recognize from Halo.

Warsaw
August 26th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I've heard a few in Battlestar Galactica (new ones) that I heard in Halo...the DRADIS has sounds from Truth and Reconciliation, and then I remember hearing the comm box (the purple boxes in Halo 1 that looked like they had a console on them and had antennae) noise at intervals during the series.

Veegie
August 26th, 2007, 01:07 PM
No.

ExAm
August 26th, 2007, 04:02 PM
No.Two personal accounts vs. one = fail, tbh.

FRain
August 26th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Two personal accounts vs. one = fail, tbh.

Two personal accounts vs. one who has had touched (mind the pun) with bungie = :fail: .

Veegie
August 26th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Two personal accounts vs. one = fail, tbh.
I sure can't argue against majority with a claim like that!
I stand before you trumped. :smith:

Nick
August 26th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Some of the sounds are from the original Perfect Dark, and some other games. I don't think many of the sounds that aren't engines or loops are original.Bullshit.

Game studios build up sound libraries over time and rework sounds they have created before into new ones. Unless purchased or licensed, they don't just find some sound they like from another bit of media and use it; there would be way too much legal risk involved with that and legal risk is something companies (and professionals in general) avoid like the plague.

The sound engineers for a game are employed to record ambient noise, music, dialogue, effects, and more. Marty and Jay have worked at Bungie for a very long time and have had ample time to build up a huge audio library of their own sounds. Besides a few (crappy) artists that were asked to be part of the Halo 2 soundtrack (huge mistake, in my opinion), Bungie makes their own sounds.

Two personal accounts vs. one = fail, tbh.Seems that you are the one to fail.

Warsaw was saying he heard Halo sounds in the new Battlestar Galactica. He mentioned the T&R, so that means he had to be talking about Halo 1. Seeing as how Halo 1 was released in 2001 and the new Battlestar Galactica was released in 2003, unless Bungie developed a time machine (possible), your assertion is incorrect.

Nick

Warsaw
August 26th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I could be wrong, it may just be a striking (and convincing) similarity. I'd have to compare them side-by-side.

Nick
August 26th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I could be wrong, it may just be a striking (and convincing) similarity. I'd have to compare them side-by-side.It could also be a matter of inspiration, where the sound designer for Battlestar Galactica is a huge Halo fan and (consciously or unconsciously) felt some bit of sound from Halo would be a perfect fit for what he was imaging for the Battlestar Galactica universe.

That happens all the time, far more often than a sound being stolen from another source. Such inspiration really comes down to admiration for the positive qualities of whatever the source material was, as opposed to someone just being lazy and deciding they would "borrow" some concepts.

Nick

Warsaw
August 26th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Well, after a brief comparison, I have noted that the sound from the Covenant ship is asymmetrical in pattern, where the DRADIS is a constant pattern keeping a definite beat, thus revealing that it is most likely an inspired sound, and less of a copy.

Jay2645
August 27th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Bullshit.

Game studios build up sound libraries over time and rework sounds they have created before into new ones. Unless purchased or licensed, they don't just find some sound they like from another bit of media and use it; there would be way too much legal risk involved with that and legal risk is something companies (and professionals in general) avoid like the plague.

The sound engineers for a game are employed to record ambient noise, music, dialogue, effects, and more. Marty and Jay have worked at Bungie for a very long time and have had ample time to build up a huge audio library of their own sounds. Besides a few (crappy) artists that were asked to be part of the Halo 2 soundtrack (huge mistake, in my opinion), Bungie makes their own sounds.

Seems that you are the one to fail.

Warsaw was saying he heard Halo sounds in the new Battlestar Galactica. He mentioned the T&R, so that means he had to be talking about Halo 1. Seeing as how Halo 1 was released in 2001 and the new Battlestar Galactica was released in 2003, unless Bungie developed a time machine (possible), your assertion is incorrect.

Nick
When did I start working at Bungie? I'm underage...