PDA

View Full Version : [Model] B-17 Model

ExAm
December 29th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Now, here's a model of a WWII B-17 Flying Fortress Bomber. It has no interior, but I included a file formatted for Max if anyone wishes to make one. It's been subdivision modeled, so it might be a little hard to work with. Still needs UVing and a texture, but otherwise complete, as I know how to do neither.

Yes, the lighting looks funky, but that's Wings 3D for ya.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/466/picture3uo9.png

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9512/picture4ux7.png

Download - MegaUpload (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IVCTFHBZ)

EDIT: Model slightly tweaked.

rossmum
December 29th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Looks nice. Just so everyone knows, Explosive's a friend of mine off Halomods (not of the noob variety).

He made an M1 Abrams too, he might post pics... maybe? :D

Stealth
December 29th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Explosive's a friend of mine off Halomods (not of the noob variety).
wow, he is a freind of mine from TSL's forums, nice to see that he is here as well, any ways, cool model.

mR_r0b0to
December 29th, 2006, 10:55 PM
fix smoothing errors

otherwise... secks!! :leet:

ExAm
December 30th, 2006, 01:02 AM
wow, he is a freind of mine from TSL's forums, nice to see that he is here as well, any ways, cool model.

You're on TSL? No kidding? Whoa. Small world, I guess. I didn't remember your name, because I don't really spend much time there.

Also, for those of you who are not familiar with Wings 3D, it has no smoothing, unless you tell it to. I never use it, because it always screws stuff up. If you're talking about "smoothing groups", Wings has nothing of the sort. Just "soft edges" which do basically the same thing, and are on by default. Whatever errors you see should be fine ingame. It's far too triangulated to fix now. I lost the untriangulated version.

*finds the "untriangulate" feature*
Oh.

I tweaked the model slightly, but that problem seems to come up endlessly. However, it should look absolutely fine ingame, if anyone plans on using it.

mR_r0b0to
December 30th, 2006, 01:07 AM
woops sry
i don't know wings

rossmum
December 30th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Get 3DS or at the very least Gmax the moment you get your new PC working. It'll be interesting to see what you can do with that.

Reaper Man
December 30th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Select the edges and set the softness to 0.

PenGuin1362
December 30th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Get 3DS or at the very least Gmax the moment you get your new PC working. It'll be interesting to see what you can do with that.

buy the right card next time explosive >_> :p

ExAm
December 30th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Select the edges and set the softness to 0.

The only settings are "soft" and "hard". Nothing further.

rossmum
December 30th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Do hard then. So we can see it without smoothing errors.

ExAm
December 30th, 2006, 08:22 PM
They don't make a difference in Wings, only ingame, and the rendering engine in Wings really, really sucks. It makes errors anyway.

Reaper Man
January 1st, 2007, 03:46 AM
Yes, well I am a Maya user, and it's kinda obvious that zero softness = hard.

PenGuin1362
January 1st, 2007, 04:52 PM

that's what she said >_>

looks good. but now work on gettin an inside

ExAm
January 2nd, 2007, 12:32 AM
I figured out what soft and hard edges really do. I got around to R'ing TFM, and found that hard edges are just edges that will hold their shape when you execute a smooth command. Soft edges will smooth into rounder shapes. For instance, if you have a cube with soft edges, it'll become more spherical. If you have a cube with hard edges, nothing will happen. So, there's nothing that has the effect of smoothing groups in Wings. Dang.

Teroh
January 4th, 2007, 01:29 AM
You use wings? How do you manage that stuff?
I guess I'm just shit with wings. :|

ExAm
January 4th, 2007, 12:34 PM
You just need the right tutorial, from an average joe like yourself. The tutorial I used was by someone who wasn't actually good at it at all, yet it just made something click.

Abstract.Error
January 6th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Wow, nice model, i've played Call of Duty United Offensive (Expansion to Call of Duty) and in a mission, theres the same exact plane!

S117
January 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I Like the model and i can't wait to see it in game, but wont it be a lil too big?

ExAm
January 6th, 2007, 02:26 PM
It's not scaled right, but it should be scaled relative to the Chief's model, so it's the right size.

S117
January 6th, 2007, 02:37 PM
u are the one working on it so i'll believe u :p just keep up the gd work

4RT1LL3RY
January 6th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Very impressive model, you could try making the model in milkshape at worst, Wings tends to do poorly for actual game models. I would love to see a World War II level with that, what is the poly count at?

ExAm
January 6th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I'm not on a PC, weren't you paying attention? I can't use milkshape. It's somewhere around 3700.

Ghostlysnow
January 6th, 2007, 10:21 PM
now this could be intresting... a halo mod with a plane like that... and with the tank and other models you made... you could make a prety intresting mod out of it...nice models btw

Pred1ator
January 6th, 2007, 10:57 PM
wow very nice, good for a wwII mod

AiRgUItaR901
January 9th, 2007, 05:48 PM
It looks awesome! You should make an army map or something like that!