PDA

View Full Version : omg a desktop replacement that's worth it

Mr Buckshot
December 30th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Click here (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_e1705?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs) - Dell Inspiron e1705 model.

the bad? It's from Dell, so buying from them carries a high risk of technical issues with the product, be it a notebook, desktop, or even PDA.

the good? You can configure a C2D with 4 MB cache, a 17" WUXGA display, a 100 GB 7200rpm hard drive, and a Geforce Go 7900 (yes, 7-NINE-00) GS, all for under $1999.

While most PC gamers are tethered to their desks, there are those who tend to leave the comfort of the desk more often than others and therefore prefer laptops (Masters1337, CMT head, is a fine example).

Many other companies, even Cyberpower (who sold me my laptop) would configure a similar notebook (except with the 7900GTX instead of the GS) for about $2500 and up. I've rarely seen cases where 17" desktop replacements do not exceed $2500.

Now I feel so cheated. My laptop cost approximately $1600 and didn't even have a dual-core CPU (centrino solo :()

discuss! And no ranting about desktops vs notebooks pls. I might get one of these and cheat my neighbor into buying my current model.

1920x1200 res ftw, with a powerful laptop card to drive it. Think it's worth it? DX10 won't make the jump to notebooks for a while, so DX9c cards are going to stay in there for some time.

Shmee
December 30th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I configed mine, cost about 2500$. pretty good deal. though i might want an even beefier video card, like the Geforce Go 7950 GTX. of course laptops with those probably cost alot more.

Stealth
December 30th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I don't like Laptops for Gaming, but maybe that is because I like being at my desk and working, not moving around a ton.

FrozenBlade
December 30th, 2006, 06:34 PM
It is true, Laptops are not as good for gaming as Desktops because Laptops have smaller components such as the fans for one and the Harddrive so those parts are limited to be slower so that the Fans can keep the parts cool, you can get an Uber Desktop for that price and it will have like a 1TB Harddrive instead of the 100GB one the Laptop is offering also it would have the fastest CPU to date, the fastest GPU and 4GB of the fastest RAM available. Well in England you could find something like that on ebay and a rare few internet stores but I am not too sure about America, you may have to go for a lower spec system than the one I was describing but considering that, it would still be better in many ways than a Laptop.

Zeph
December 30th, 2006, 06:54 PM
It's still a Dell, and therefore takes a preformance hit from the half-assed BIOS/mobo.

FrozenBlade
December 30th, 2006, 07:12 PM
It's still a Dell, and therefore takes a performance hit from the half-assed BIOS/mobo.

Hahaha, true, Dell arent too good at the BIOS's but still, I think any Desktop is better than its laptop equivalents.

Mr Buckshot
December 30th, 2006, 10:09 PM
It's inevitable that desktops > laptops, but not everyone finds a desktop convenient (another fine example is my dad, who travels a lot for work, so he owns a sony vaio SZ laptop and brings it to tons of seminars).

Still, that Dell Inspiron e1705 laptop pwns many desktops except for the desktops with the same specs as this notebook. It definitely trashes my desktop (hard drive size doesn't really count as a spec).

and the WUXGA 1920x1200 resolution is hard to come by in desktop monitors for a good price. WUXGA LCD monitors are always 23" and up (a ridiculous minimum size tbh) and some can cost more than that laptop itself (the cheapest ones are > $1000).

Atty
December 30th, 2006, 10:51 PM
If I were to buy a laptop I wouldn't buy from dell, hell the only thing I'd buy from Dell is a monitor. Oh and the 2407WFP is $700, that's a 19x12 display.

FrozenBlade
December 31st, 2006, 10:25 AM
Actually, come to think of it, I find Dell... OK, I had a computer from them a few weeks ago and it was solid and ran perfect, until I took it apart to make an even more powerful computer, I think Dell are better than what they used to be but there are most definitely better companies out there, you could also consider building your own computer as it is cheaper and may run better than a ready built equivalent if you place the parts in the correct places and consider airflow too.

Atty
January 1st, 2007, 06:18 AM
I had a computer from them a few weeks ago and it was solid and ran perfect, until I took it apart to make an even more powerful computer, So what? You took the 1 maybe 2 decent things out of it, the CPU (assuming you got a Core 2 Dell [if you even got one]) and the Video Card (Dell does put some good GPUs in their systems, albiet they cost more and are bogged down by Dell's shit) and transplanted them into a decent PC with a better Mobo and RAM? Or what?

FrozenBlade
January 1st, 2007, 11:21 AM
Actually I did not use the CPU or GPU, just the RAM and Mobo, The graphics card is still lying around somewhere and the processor was just a P4 660 so I may use that as a backup, the other parts, well I used the HDD with my real one which now gives me 1TB of space on my main computer and the Disk Drives, I have too many of them so I sold the two Dell ones on Ebay for £40 Each (2 DVD/CD rewriters) I still have the Dell Case but that is going for my backup parts too. Also my point was that Dell computers are not all that bad, you shouldn't just blame them for being crappy just because they had a few bad ratings.. Okay maybe allot but still, Dell have cleaned up their act now and do make pretty decent computers especially since they bought Alienware.

Atty
January 1st, 2007, 03:40 PM
You realize the worst part of any pre-built machine is usually the mobo?

And why the hell would you buy a full PC from Dell just to rip out two parts which would've cost you a lot less for a lot more (in performance alone) if bought separately?

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
January 1st, 2007, 03:55 PM
You realize the worst part of any pre-built machine is usually the mobo?*looks at own computer* You're right...:(

Masterz1337
January 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM
I have the same computer buckshot. Only problem I have with mine, is that I have to restart after playing halo online for a while, the framerate plunges to zero, and I loose all internet conectivity. Other thing is more recent, my CD/DVD drive fails to get recognized, probably somethign that can be easily fixed.

Atty
January 1st, 2007, 04:02 PM
I have the same computer buckshot. Only problem I have with mine, is that I have to restart after playing halo online for a while, the framerate plunges to zero, and I loose all internet conectivity.Probably over heating video card with the heat affection I/O or Wifi hardware.

Pooky
January 1st, 2007, 04:23 PM
I have the same computer buckshot. Only problem I have with mine, is that I have to restart after playing halo online for a while, the framerate plunges to zero, and I loose all internet conectivity. Other thing is more recent, my CD/DVD drive fails to get recognized, probably somethign that can be easily fixed.

I have the same problem while playing Halo, randomly my framerate just dies, and I have to wait it out. Thing is, I can run other games like CS:S, Half Life 2, Jedi Academy, Republic Commando, and even Quake 4 and my framerate never, ever does that. It doesn't affect my Internet or CD/DVD drive though.

FrozenBlade
January 1st, 2007, 04:34 PM
I have never had a problem with Dell Mobos? why are people looking at me funny, hehehe

EDIT:

Plus this Dell Mobo was actually newer than mine, I bought the Dell in the first place because I need multiple computers, I had the dell for a while and just thought "ah screw it" and did what I like doing, taking things apart and studying them, I am like that, my apartment is like a Mobo lol, scattered parts of computers lying around everywhere. You name the hardware maker and there is a very good chance I have some part from them lying around, I even have stuff from 1996 (yes i know... they are going soon)