PDA

View Full Version : [HALO 3] The End to Cheaters Online

TIA Gangsta
August 26th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Yup, that's right. Bungie believe they've got the aspect that plagues almost every game (most noticeable for Bungie, Halo 2) officially capped - Cheaters.

Someone on Bungie wrote a guide including the most common cheating methods (mostly in Halo 2), and Bungie's solution to each. There's also a glossary of terms at the bottom for those of you who don't know what each cheating term means.

Enjoy:

Security/Modding

As many of us know by now, the security on the original Xbox, and in Halo 2 was not the greatest. The Xbox's security was rendered completely useless, and there was originally only minimal security on the Halo 2 maps .Whilst Bungie did manage to patch a system in eventually, it did have it's limitations (as did the banning process).

However, not only is the Xbox 360's security much more secure than the original Xbox, but Bungie themselves are implementing their own security systems from the word go. Thus even if the 360's security were to be compromised at some point, Bungie still have their own ways of thwarting cheats.

There are a handful of means of modifying an Xbox 360 console (of which no information will be given here). However, the hacks are extremely weak, and cannot be used to cheat whilst connected to Xbox Live, or on an unmodified console (in a 360 game). Unless Microsoft's security key were broken, which would take hundreds of years for supercomputers to break by brute force; in all reality, it won't happen.

Standby/Bridging

In Bungie's own words, there is nothing they can do to prevent people from unplugging their connection, or trying to force a player to be host. They can make it unprofitable however:

Firstly, it will be impossible to force a player to be host (as it is in the Halo 2 1.5 patch).

Secondly, the game now understands how good a host you really are, so if you are chosen as host and then your connection 'accidentally' drops constantly, or players are disconnected by you from the game, not only will you never host a game again against legitimate players, but you will be forced to play other cheaters.

The game can recognise players with poor hosts, from those actively using their host to cheat, so if you do have a weak connection, you do not have to worry about being identified as a cheater.

Glitching/Superbouncing/BXR

A lot of the glitches that plagued Halo 2, such as button glitches or superbouncing have been removed for Halo 3. There have also been new ways of preventing a player from escaping the map since the Halo 3 beta (you cannot escape Valhalla now). The few button combos that existed in the beta have been eliminated.

Deranking

Bungie have stated that the game can recognise derankers from legitimate lower ranked players. Derankers will be forced to play other derankers of their skill level, instead of beating up lower ranked players. There also may be some other nasty surprises.

Griefing

The "A-hole" button is well publicised by now, which allows everyone to painlessly mute other players. There are also a lot more options regarding voice, and players can choose who they want to hear in the first place. Derankers and team killers again, will be in for a few nasty shocks.

Bungie's Secret Weapons

Naturally Bungie are not going into intimate details about their various cheating systems, but some key things have been released. Not only are trial accounts restricted in matchmaking, but Bungie also has the ability this time to ban entire consoles from matchmaking, as well as the means to force cheaters to play against other cheaters.

Bungie also have the ability to modify how the banhammer works over time from the word go, and so can use it to watch out for new forms of cheating.

Additionally, the saved films feature also means that if new cheats do crop up, plenty of useful information on them can be sent to Bungie, to allow them to identify exploits much more quickly and effectively (via a similar process they use to fix bugs in their playtest center).

Glossary of Terms

Standby - The process of interrupting one's internet connection in an attempt to cheat. Originally comes from players using the "standby" button on their routers/modems but has come to mean any means of interrupting a connection
Bridging - The process of forcing a particular player to be the host, by selectively manipulating a connection
Button Glitches - Using a certain combination of button presses to exploit a glitch. Common examples in Halo 2 include "BXR" and the "Double shot".
Superbouncing - Aka superjumping. Triggering a bug in the physics engine to cause a player to bounce extremely high in the air and reach places that are otherwise impossible to get to.
Deranking - Deliberately lowering one's score or taking actions to cause one's team to lose the game.
Team Killing - Killing your own teammates deliberately.
Cheating - Using means outside of the game to gain an unfair advantage over other players. Some glitches can be used to cheat.
Griefing - Abusing, annoying, or otherwise causing grief for other players, either on purpose or accidentally
Glitching - Exploiting a glitch in the game. Can lead to cheating.

The only downfall to Halo 2's multiplayer was cheaters/glitchers, and with that out of the picture for Halo 3, it's the final sweet cherry on the Halo-cake.

Atty
August 26th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I do hope that there are still ways to get out of the maps in Halo 3, not for Matchmaking purposes but for custom games purposes. Hopefully forge will have a few tricks for us in that department. ;)

Kornman00
August 26th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I do hope that there are still ways to get out of the maps in Halo 3, not for Matchmaking purposes but for custom games purposes. Hopefully forge will have a few tricks for us in that department. ;)
Unfortunately I sense some sacrifices were taken in order to kill off any cheaters making their way into the ranks.

Limited
August 26th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Secondly, the game now understands how good a host you really are, so if you are chosen as host and then your connection 'accidentally' drops constantly, or players are disconnected by you from the game, not only will you never host a game again against legitimate players, but you will be forced to play other cheaters.
So if you have a shitty unreliable connection, you will be labeled a cheater and not be able to play legitimate players ever again? Wow...

Also, deranking, why happens if some one wants to just play a game for fun, bit like stunting and just messing around, or is that done outside of matchmaking but still over the internet?

Terin
August 26th, 2007, 01:20 PM
If you have a shitty, unreliable connection, get a new ISP. Seriously.

Stealth
August 26th, 2007, 01:32 PM
O.o nice find dude. I like.

TIA Gangsta
August 26th, 2007, 01:45 PM
So if you have a shitty unreliable connection, you will be labeled a cheater and not be able to play legitimate players ever again? Wow...

Also, deranking, why happens if some one wants to just play a game for fun, bit like stunting and just messing around, or is that done outside of matchmaking but still over the internet?

It says in the article: "The game can recognise players with poor hosts, from those actively using their host to cheat, so if you do have a weak connection, you do not have to worry about being identified as a cheater."

And that's only for matchmaking obviously, since ranks aren't involved in Custom Games. Matchmaking isn't the place to stunt and piss about - we have Custom Games for that.
So feel free to betray and goof around in Custom Games, there won't be any consequences.

OmegaDragon
August 26th, 2007, 02:20 PM

That sucks. If I ever get a 360 to play halo 3, I won't be able to host because my modem has a mind of its own and restarts randomly when it wants to and that will lable me as a cheater. :(

Kornman00
August 26th, 2007, 02:34 PM
That sucks. If I ever get a 360 to play halo 3, I won't be able to host because my modem has a mind of its own and restarts randomly when it wants to and that will lable me as a cheater. :(
You'd think he^^ would get a new modem or different ISP...

legionaire45
August 26th, 2007, 02:35 PM
...Um...can you read? The whole point of that feature is to determine who is intentionally abusing their connection to make it look shitty/cheat and who is actually on a bad connection. If you're on a shitty connection it isn't going to label you a cheater.

Also, bitch to your ISP to get a new modem. Or buy one.

Kornman00
August 26th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Probably a result from hitting the standby button so many times too. I don't think thats covered by your warranty btw :rolleyes:

TIA Gangsta
August 26th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Well a defective router shouldn't be tolerated, period.
I suggest you go back to the retailer you bought it from, or contact your ISP.

Hotrod
August 26th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Nice job finding this. I like the part where you'll never get chosen as host if your internet connection isn't as great as others.

AAA
August 26th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I love this. Nice find. +rep

I wish when they get Halo 3 out for PC, Since there's that whole "playing Campaign with others online" thing available, I hope they remake Halo 1 and Halo 2 to support that. They would put the .exe on the internet for people to download and place their key codes in and play campaign with everyone on the original campaign classics.....Kind of the same thing they did with CE...only, it was for Custom content.

TIA Gangsta
August 26th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Nice job finding this. I like the part where you'll never get chosen as host if your internet connection isn't as great as others.

I especially like the part where cheaters will be matched to other cheaters >=D

ExAm
August 26th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Awesome

Terry
August 28th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I never get to host anyway, so that new rules doesn't affect me. I like these new implementations alot now. Those days of pulling hairs out in Halo 2 are long gone now :D