PDA

View Full Version : [TUTORIAL] 3ds Max Video for a Basic Level

l SINERGY l
August 26th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Tutorial By: l SINERGY l

- Recomended for people with a basic knowledge of 3ds max and already have a basic understanding of level creation for halo 2 vista.

This is just me recording myself making a level in 3ds max so just follow a long, pause when you want and maybe you'll learn something:o.

DOWNLOAD LINK (http://www.h2vmods.com/files/tutorial-SINERGY.rar) (338MB - Length: 44min 43sec)
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/ll_JAY_ll/tut.jpg

(Feel free to comment on the video, I would be talking but a combination of a crappy mic and onboard audio results in the most horrible sounds)

LlamaMaster
August 27th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Wow, you made a box with extrusions, good job. Sorry, but this won't help anyone.

Bastinka
August 27th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I like tutorials < 100MB. Also, most people do too for a quick download.

Mass
August 27th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Wow, you made a box with extrusions, good job. Sorry, but this won't help anyone.
^

Skyline
August 27th, 2007, 05:58 PM
That took you 44 mins to make :eek:.

l SINERGY l
August 27th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Should I have included that this is for noobs who can only make a box level?

Bastinka
August 27th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Should I have included that this is for noobs who can only make a box level?
With tutorials like this, you inspire box modeling.

Plane modeling tuts only! Yeah!

"With tutorials like this, you inspire box modeling."
thats basically what kirk did, also ender inspired lots of noobs :<

Mass
August 27th, 2007, 08:08 PM
With tutorials like this, you inspire box modeling.

Plane modeling tuts only! Yeah!

How many times have you been told not to practice something wrong for danger of learning the wrong thing?

I am with silent 100%.

Leiukemia
August 27th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Yours basically is a box map.... Learn how to model better before you make another tutorial.

Con
August 27th, 2007, 09:35 PM
So what if SINERGY can't model anything better than this green thing here? Look at the title, it says BASIC map. This is meant for those new people who have no idea how to model. They can see "basic" and decide on their own. Forget this bullshit that this tutorial inspires the wrong modeling methods, in time they'll become more skillful if they stick to it. And so what if these noobs end up making shit maps? Their problem they can't keep learning to model, I hope they become frustrated and leave. Good riddance, we don't want the idiots here.

How many times have you been told not to practice something wrong for danger of learning the wrong thing?

I am with silent 100&#37;.

You guys need to stop going "omg, box modeling makes box maps! go learn plane modeling because IT'S THE ONLY GOOD METHOD." I'm so sick of it. Other modeling methods are fine if they achieve the same results. Obviously it's dependent on the person, not the method.

As for the video itself, 300+ mb? Holy shit. Only the most desperate of the noobs are going to download that.

Leiukemia
August 27th, 2007, 09:43 PM
So what if SINERGY can't model anything better than this green thing here? Look at the title, it says BASIC map. This is meant for those new people who have no idea how to model. They can see "basic" and decide on their own. Forget this bullshit that this tutorial inspires the wrong modeling methods, in time they'll become more skillful if they stick to it. And so what if these noobs end up making shit maps? Their problem they can't keep learning to model, I hope they become frustrated and leave. Good riddance, we don't want the idiots here.

You guys need to stop going "omg, box modeling makes box maps! go learn plane modeling because IT'S THE ONLY GOOD METHOD." I'm so sick of it. Other modeling methods are fine if they achieve the same results. Obviously it's dependent on the person, not the method.

As for the video itself, 300+ mb? Holy shit. Only the most desperate of the noobs are going to download that.

I wasn't referring to box modelling being bad, only that it is a box map. Also, I disagree with you completely. I think that starting off right is the best way to go. There's no reason to send people off to wrong start. And if people start watching this, there's the chance of ending up with a bunch of shitty maps or models being posted, which in turn will lead to the flame wars that are inevitable with crappy modellers who cannot take criticism. Honestly, how can you do better learning wrong first off rather then learning right. If I had the time I would make a proper tutorial on the basics, we'll see what happens.

Con
August 27th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Why is it a wrong start? It's a basic tutorial after all. This boxy map looks decent, as would anyone's first first maps with any tutorial. What newcomers do with tutorials and criticism is totally dependent on them and the way the handle it. People like FlamingRain would be like that no matter how they started out. The flame wars are preventable with mod/admin intervention.

The modeler is the only one responsible for their progress of skill. This tutorial is aimed at the lowest end, and you can't expect the newbies to either understand the more advanced tutorials, or create more advanced maps after watching this one. Those who can't handle their own skill progression aren't going to make it as a modeler anyway.

Skyline
August 27th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I remember there was a discussion about box modelling before and I think it was Tweek who posted an amazing mech model that was modelled using this method.

Con
August 27th, 2007, 10:12 PM
It's not about the method anyway, it's about how far you decide to go with it.

Leiukemia
August 27th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Why is it a wrong start? It's a basic tutorial after all. This boxy map looks decent, as would anyone's first first maps with any tutorial. What newcomers do with tutorials and criticism is totally dependent on them and the way the handle it. People like FlamingRain would be like that no matter how they started out. The flame wars are preventable with mod/admin intervention.

The modeler is the only one responsible for their progress of skill. This tutorial is aimed at the lowest end, and you can't expect the newbies to either understand the more advanced tutorials, or create more advanced maps after watching this one. Those who can't handle their own skill progression aren't going to make it as a modeler anyway.

For one, I only mentioned the flame wars thing because you were the one worried about idiot modellers coming here. Now suddenly you don't care about them? And a tutorial doesn't need to be advanced to be good. Being taught how to do things efficiantly and without wasting or things like non-planars can all be explained quite easily. A better tutorial could be made, even only coming out with a similiar result, that explains things in more detail. Also, being somebody who can't handle their skill progression doesn't mean they'll never turn out at all. Because I know I argued with people who knew what they were talking about. I gave up for about 4 months. Starting out as an idiot doesn't last in everyone as you may think. Just look at llamaboy too. Saying good riddance because they start off bad, in my opinion, is just assenine.

Mass
August 27th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I suppose you're right conscars, I did do box modelling before I learned plane modelling and it was a step up from just fucking around in max which is what I did before that.

I was going on the fact that whenever I open up an old box model that I made I think its ugly.

I think I'd like to take what I said back, box modelling isn't always bad, but that map is in my opinion.

Limited
August 28th, 2007, 01:57 AM
THATS a box map? Bloody hell, thats the hottest best box map I've ever seen if you consider it a box map. I see it as corridors with a room. Alot of halo was actually elaborate corridors with rooms..

File size is pretty steep, but I still downloaded, I still watched it (put it on fast forward though)

I watch these vids to watch some one do their work. I have the theory down, I know what tools to what and things like that, but when I actually open max and thing "time to make a map" I just go blank and end up with a shitty outcome.

That map isnt bad in my eyes, ok if you skinned it and released it, I would say it needed work, but he hasnt said its 100&#37; finished, he also adds basic level in description :D

Who here has actually seen the video? Because that picture he posted doesnt show the details he made, probably because its a basic render he took so you cant see all the edges.

Mass
August 28th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I've made hawter box maps, like archive was box modelled, (lol) hence the suck in some select areas.

I'll download it now, and see if you're right about the details.

Llama Juice
August 28th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I originally learned how to model by box modeling, and I really wish I hadn't.

I'll download the video later and see what comments/crits I can offer on it........

{XF}Lowsy
August 28th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Staying on topic: 300MB video will probably not be downloaded by me. But try again, or squish it and I would love to see the work. Thanks for trying that one.

Heading off topic: I have never even heard of 'Planer modeling' until you mentioned it here. Even tutorialized.com doesn't not have that listed. So, may I suggest someone turn the fraps on and make a post of their own?

Thank you

Bastinka
August 28th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Yeah 300mb is a bit overrated, its a good idea to edit and cut parts. Like when modeling some extras that aren't really part of the tut, cut that out.

Con
August 31st, 2007, 12:07 AM
A good way to cut down file size is to explain with detail how to model specific parts of the map, then set the playback speed higher for parts you've already explained or are repeating since you've already shown them such things.

Terin
September 4th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Or lower the resolution. We're mostly looking at the big model in 3ds Max or Sapien in tutorials, and any specific text can be zoomed if possible, or just said vocally.

[MT]OMalley
September 24th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Heading off topic: I have never even heard of 'Planer modeling' until you mentioned it here. Even tutorialized.com doesn't not have that listed. So, may I suggest someone turn the fraps on and make a post of their own?

http://tutorials.moddb.com/16/beretta-9000-video-tutorial/

This is what I came up with. Haven't watched them all yet, but the comments there say it is great! :D

Syuusuke
September 25th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Does it show how to import the level into Halo 2?

If not then you should've included that, when I saw "Basic Level" I was thinking some obviously basic map, but I also was hoping on ways of getting it in Halo 2...