PDA

View Full Version : How old school are you?

El Lobo
August 27th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I was just curious, how many members here actually played in Beavis's Bunghole server, or Funkys 24/7 schwinnz server? How many of you played in the days when you could play a whole game without aimbot accusations flying around, because, well, there wasn't even an aimbot out. Who downloaded casualty gorge the day it came out? Who suffered from partial blindness from schwinnz alpha's white lake and walls?

Who else has good memories from the old days?

Corgy
August 27th, 2007, 06:59 PM
i did for a bit el lobo, no good memories though!!

Halo PC since Dec '03, Halo CE since the week it came out (was on 56k so it took a long time to DL :()

thehoodedsmack
August 27th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I'm representin' new school. I'm afraid I only came around shortly after Coldsnap.

Mass
August 27th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I'm representin' new school. I'm afraid I only came around shortly after Coldsnap.
Me too, or rather thats when I was no longer a complete noob in CE. I played since 05.

Bastinka
August 27th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I'm not that old school :(

FlyingStone
August 27th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I have played Halo since 02-03, around 05 i started to get involved with the web forums. Finally i started doing things online with Halo. I have played Halo since 02 just never really got into the online part of it.
Does that count? D:
-F.S

DOMINATOR
August 27th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I was just curious, how many members here actually played in Beavis's Bunghole server, or Funkys 24/7 schwinnz server? How many of you played in the days when you could play a whole game without aimbot accusations flying around, because, well, there wasn't even an aimbot out. Who downloaded casualty gorge the day it came out? Who suffered from partial blindness from schwinnz alpha's white lake and walls?

haloPC since december 2003... remodeling the vehicles in haloPC.

i remember MonoC's library MP conversion that won that modding contest... 1000 bucks.

StankBacon
August 27th, 2007, 08:12 PM
lobo, ive done all of those :)

i got into halo (pc) when the beta was leaked a few weeks before the official release :o

been playing CE since the day it came out as well.

i loved when there was no bot, and everyone was just playing to have fun.... no bs.

Xetsuei
August 27th, 2007, 08:26 PM
2004 old school. B) I was a complete noob thought. : (

Bastinka
August 27th, 2007, 08:27 PM
December 25th, 2005.

Not the join date, but when I got into Halo CE. Because I finally got a GFX card that could handle halo.

Archon23
August 27th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Hmmm. 2005?

I finnally got out of that Pokemon=coolest thing on Earth phase and decided to get some real games. Man I look back and think what I complete retard I was.

Neuro Guro
August 27th, 2007, 08:34 PM
-

Bastinka
August 27th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Xbox always has better shaders. :saddowns:

Masterz1337
August 27th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I remember the good old days :)

Boba
August 27th, 2007, 08:43 PM
April/May 2004ish on Halo PC.

El Lobo
August 27th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I remember the good old days :)I still remember the day we met.

:lobo:

DOMINATOR
August 27th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I still remember the day we met.

:lobo:
bet it was love at first sight.

El Lobo
August 27th, 2007, 08:55 PM
bet it was love at first sight.Na, that was just me and you DOMMY :rape:

Con
August 27th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I wish I had been around for those days :( I only caught the tail end of it, I miss the tight-nit "clubs" of sorts that used to exist. The first summer I had HCE, I would host a stunts server every day doing the old school glitches and warthog jumps. All the friends I'd met in Halo would always come to the server each day and we'd chat and play and learn new stuff. Good times. Here's my old stunts site: http://stunts.2ya.com/

Here's a nice pic, only a fraction of the regulars.
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/993/griffcavenh3.jpg

Limited
August 27th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Beavis's bunghole ftw :) Yeh those were the best CE days.

mR_r0b0to
August 27th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Hah, I remember Beavis's Bunghole.. awesome fun.. New Mombasa Classic :downs:
When I got here, =EP was still at its prime, with EP CE servers and all that.. I remember this one kid accusing DTS (ex-owner of EPGamers) of teamkilling, lmao.

Xegrot
I've been playing Halo PC since the day it came out, and I did play a little bit of Xbox Halo, too. Although I wasn't the best player around at the time, I slowly started to get better, and now, I would say I'm a more than decent player, although I don't mean to brag. I also remember modding in it's early days, with it's flying warthog and over-powered pistols. That's history.

I want the old school back. :(

DaneO'Roo
lmfao, 06 right here.

what a nub lulz

SnaFuBAR
August 27th, 2007, 09:43 PM
played at beavis', played at hive. good times.

Tarzan
August 27th, 2007, 09:52 PM
discovered halo PC fall of 06, downloaded CE in december. began mapping January 07. I'd say I'm not doing too badly for that time frame ;)

PenGuin1362
August 27th, 2007, 10:13 PM

all of the above. you want real old school, what about nitros h2 mod for halo pc and monos AOTCR mod.

Jay2645
August 27th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I've been playing CE since Fall '05. Has it really been that long? Wow.
I didn't start mapping until Winter '06.

et_cg
August 27th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I miss the beavis TS server days, I miss the great servers w/o shit maps and crapheads who did all those aimbot apps.

Those were great times.

I remember just goofing around on the gbxforums though. I made a tiny box map called zanzibar.map and it had two warthogs and a teleporter in it. Was all black and stuff. Then that account got banned. I made another account and did the MC and Cortana sex picture, and then that was banned.

Then after getting out of my purely immature days, I decided to make an account that'd I'd stick with.

Before getting the et_cg name, I started getting in contact with peeps on AIM in the Halo community. But I've not been around as long as all of them.

Though 9MM, and a few others can confirm I'm ol' school.

HCE/HPC were great w/o apps and mods. Fun days.

El Lobo
August 27th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I loved it when the thing to do was to use SparkEdit to shoot plasma grenades out of your shotgun and have the chaingun shoot tank shells.

DOMINATOR
August 27th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I loved it when the thing to do was to use HMT to shoot plasma grenades out of your shotgun and have the chaingun shoot tank shells.

newb

Bastinka
August 27th, 2007, 10:54 PM
newb
:) Lol, what a post eh?

But still, I'm not old school at all.. Well I guess but I was a newb. :(

El Lobo
August 27th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I miss being an innocent, care free newb. I had no idea where to put custom maps, let alone how to install a mod for PC. Good shit.

I'm old and cynical now :(

paladin
August 27th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I got Halo PC two or three days after it was released.

Mass
August 27th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I miss being an innocent, care free newb. I had no idea where to put custom maps, let alone how to install a mod for PC. Good shit.

I'm old and cynical now :(

I agree, before I learned how to make a map every map I downloaded was awesome and I would sit there thinking, "How do they do this??"

But once I learned, I would spot errors, say "I could do this"
ect.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Limited
August 27th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I miss the beavis TS server days, I miss the great servers w/o shit maps and crapheads who did all those aimbot apps.

Those were great times.

I remember just goofing around on the gbxforums though. I made a tiny box map called zanzibar.map and it had two warthogs and a teleporter in it. Was all black and stuff. Then that account got banned. I made another account and did the MC and Cortana sex picture, and then that was banned.

Then after getting out of my purely immature days, I decided to make an account that'd I'd stick with.

Before getting the et_cg name, I started getting in contact with peeps on AIM in the Halo community. But I've not been around as long as all of them.

Though 9MM, and a few others can confirm I'm ol' school.Beavis got sucked into WoW :( Then he was lost forever. Those were the great CE days.

FRain
August 27th, 2007, 11:05 PM

I played just as Funky's 24/7's schwinnz server was down. Got to play like, 2 games on it. Beavis's Bunghole was an awesome server. Awesome possum :O

Ki11a_FTW
August 27th, 2007, 11:07 PM
HPC i got the day it came out as for CE, i got into it around when Kaz's map remnants came out

et_cg
August 27th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I got Halo PC two or three days after it was released.

Same here, but I was on dial up back then...

STLRamsFan
August 27th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I played in Hive a few times, Funkytaco's server, and the bunghole. Been here since the beginning. Beavis' server was so much fun as it rarely had a bungie map up. It was all about custom maps which was real nice. I rarely got bored in that server and there was always something new. Legend and Beavis made it fun and I was even admin on it. I miss that server and wish it would make a return someday. Shame it had to go down as I feel that Halo CE's fun factor went down a lot when it went down. Although it's getting much better and having the league return is a plus as it'll bring back memories of the past with the custom maps.

Mass
August 27th, 2007, 11:55 PM
yeah, I really wish there were more people in servers (I say that because if you look at empty dedis you'll find good ones) playing good custom maps with classic weapons and vehicles.

That is by far my favorite type of map.

Kiwibird
August 28th, 2007, 12:04 AM
I bought Halo PC a couple of days after it came out. I played that for awhile and checked into mods and such. I'm not sure exactly when I started playing Halo CE, the furthest back I can remember was the first map I downloaded and played on was Islandhop. That was so fun. Then I remember playing a map called Oceans_Apart. I remember getting the jetpack in that. The strange thing was, even though the maps did not look so great, they were really fun. Good times.

legionaire45
August 28th, 2007, 12:14 AM
I got Halo PC in mid 2004ish if I remember (not positive, although Zeph might know considering I tried to get into Rabid clan even though I was underage and did a fail job of it xD. I know I had played a little while before that, well, long enough to actually not be sucky). I think I joined some time in between patches 1.03 and 1.05, although I really don't remember too much of it.

I got involved in Halo CE around August of 2005 only because TechTV (or G4, don't remember if they had been boughten out yet) did a show case on awesome game mods and they had Jahrain's Zelda mod on. That finally got me to download a map or two.

I was around to see Strider beheaded ^___^. It was lulz.

Mass
August 28th, 2007, 12:18 AM
I got involved in Halo CE around August of 2005 only because TechTV (or G4, don't remember if they had been boughten out yet) did a show case on awesome game mods and they had Jahrain's Zelda mod on. That finally got me to download a map or two.

They did? kewl.

and that buy-out=suck

p0lar_bear
August 28th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Oh, god, I was just takling to Phil about this same topic the other night...

(Edited out small tangents and things not relevant to the topic at hand)
p0lar_bear: i seriously miss the bunghole, and is saddens me to no end that it will never, ever come back
[KOD] Phil: That's true
[KOD] Phil: I <3 NMC on there
p0lar_bear: you can make 100 ressurrection servers
p0lar_bear: but it will never be the same
[KOD] Phil: And it's never the same :P
p0lar_bear: every Hive resurrection server i've seen to date has failed.
[KOD] Phil: True
p0lar_bear: even the [HIV] server
p0lar_bear: also, before i go any further
p0lar_bear: i'll let it be known right now that i was in after Hive was said and done
p0lar_bear: wasn't around for it, but I can get the same idea from the bunghole.
[KOD] Phil: I lurked there
[KOD] Phil: I downloaded CE the day it came out - at an awesome 60 kbs
p0lar_bear: it was an awesome server run by awesome people with awesome maps and awesome times
p0lar_bear: and now I realize why we can't have any of those times back
[KOD] Phil: Why's that?
p0lar_bear: everyone matured in both personality and skill
p0lar_bear: i mean, half the fun in those servers was the fact that very few were that to play to win
[KOD] Phil: I know
[KOD] Phil: And very few maps
p0lar_bear: i eman, i'd boot up NMC just to bullshit around
[KOD] Phil: For the longest time, the only map I remember playing / was available was schwinz
[KOD] Phil: Well... that was probably before your time :P
p0lar_bear: tunnel parties, whipping around the highway stretch in a loaded hog
[KOD] Phil: May 04
p0lar_bear: yes, it was.
[KOD] Phil: I used to play hide and seek there
p0lar_bear: i can never see what hivers see in schwinnz.
[KOD] Phil: With my brother a lot actually, then he gave up Halo and started to go all anti gaming on me :-(
[KOD] Phil: Oh, trust me, schwinnz was THE best map available for a long time
p0lar_bear: i'm aware schwinnzno1_alpha01a.map was by far the most complex map made for CE when it was released
[KOD] Phil: The thing was it was promising
[KOD] Phil: And it did turn out to be an awesome map

Times have changed, there's a new "generation" of Halo players now and we can never go back, as hard as we may try. We can't blame this fully on the increase of retards; we've had many other quality maps come out that makes selecting a set mapcycle hard, and we've all matured in skill and personality, so we can't just nub it up like we used to and get the same feeling we used to. It saddens me a bit, but I can honestly say that the past year and a half I spent on this game was mostly good times, and I'll never forget it.

Also, don't get me wrong about what I'm saying about the [HIV] server; it's fun at most times, but every time a Hive classic map is put on, 90&#37; of the server ends up quitting for not having the map, and the traffic never picks back up until a Bungie map is put back on. With these New-Age Retarded Players, if it's not cmt_snow_grove or coldsnap, it's shit.

Mass
August 28th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Also, don't get me wrong about what I'm saying about the [HIV] server; it's fun at most times, but every time a Hive classic map is put on, 90% of the server ends up quitting for not having the map, and the traffic never picks back up until a Bungie map is put back on. With these New-Age Retarded Players, if it's not cmt_snow_grove or coldsnap, it's shit.

I hate that, people who can't use the search function at halomaps and only download the new featured maps. I came after this golden age of CE which everyone is making sound so awesome but I care about the history of the community. Half of these newbs don't know that snowgrove is a fuckin' mod.
Which bugs me cause grove final is so much more win, no particular offense to CMT. People just don't have maps like the narrows and cliffhanger and claustophobia and even wartorn, its :fail:

Kornman00
August 28th, 2007, 01:14 AM

Those days are so old, that it was before I started using "kornman00" as my regular gamer tag. Back then I was using "a hobo" or on a few rare occasions "Kurtis Blow" :-3

God damn, those were the days!

Needs moar time machine tbh //_-

Teroh
August 28th, 2007, 01:17 AM
I remember playing on Beavis's Bunghole server, NMC. Awesome times.

Cortexian
August 28th, 2007, 01:36 AM
I used to play on both servers back in the day, I picked up Halo PC within the week of it's release, and started Halo CE the day after it came out :).

Back in the day when the ATI 9800 was all the rage :awesome:.

Tweek
August 28th, 2007, 03:40 AM
i'm SO oldschool, i remember i was like YEY when ironforge put up the php-versions of the offset-list for all the Hpc maps. no more ctrl-Fing.

i'm SO oldschool, i spend hours overloading the map "Halo" on the Xbox to spawn the banshees without drivers, and see if i could get in them.

Bodzilla
August 28th, 2007, 05:54 AM
lmfao, 06 right here.

what a nub lulz
^
me and dano are like 2-3 weeks apart from joining.

he was like at school
"omg dewd haloz iz like super sexy awesome online Go."

i ablidged

FluffyDuckyâ„¢
August 28th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Rofl, I've been on halo since 04. But wasn't well known till around mid of 05. :)

Rosco
August 28th, 2007, 08:21 AM
04, Halo Mods.

Then 05, and we played in the bunghole. Every day.

Even when masters repeatedly broke the server with dodgey game types.

El Lobo
August 28th, 2007, 08:34 AM
I couldn't agree more p0lar, great post. Woop woop :(

Bastinka
August 28th, 2007, 08:40 AM
You know how I always call him the legendary lobo?
Ever wonder why?

Feast your eyes on this!
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/SilentWindPL/ellobo.jpg

Thats more like it :awesome:

Mass
August 28th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Ever wonder why?

Feast your eyes on this!

[jesus/wolf?]

Don't forget the angelic choir silent.

*ahhhhhhhhh*

Rosco
August 28th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Ever wonder why?

Feast your eyes on this!
[snip]

Seriously, what the fuck. :smithicide:

Zeph
August 28th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I remember waiting for CE to be released. GBX was brown back then, lol. I hated the website for CE because it made you wonder if the page was old, it had been released, or if you were just looking at the wrong page altogether.

Mass
August 28th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I remember waiting for CE to be released. GBX was brown back then, lol. I hated the website for CE because it made you wonder if the page was old, it had been released, or if you were just looking at the wrong page altogether.

lol, I only have known CE since Dennis made everything pleasant and simple.

Apoc4lypse
August 28th, 2007, 11:11 AM

Yeah, I remember I was on IRC when it was released.

Now that I think about it a little while before CE was released was when I grew out of being a noob at halo modding. I remember remodeling stuff using milkshape haha.

Unfortunately during CE I took some breaks during it, I modded for a long while in the begining in CE learning stuff then took off for a while, idk I managed to miss the whole hive thing for the most part, maybe played some of it before it was gone. Schwinz was always a legendary map to me though, best gameplay ever.

I still cant remember what year it was I got into halo modding all i know is it was shortly before hmt 3, then came hmt 3.5 with PMI and all that stuff haha, then spark edit too. Idk its been a long and interesting adventure, and I guess I can thank halo modding and what ever thread I was reading that told me how to use milkshape to edit halo models. Idk if I would have ever gotten into 3d modeling without that, and now Ive got more then 3 years worth of using 3dsmax behind me and I'm still learning more about 3d model creation all the time.

But yeah I do miss the old days when it was loads more fun to play ce with all the new interesting maps and interesting servers with interesting people, it never got boring there was always someplace you could go to get some good clean halo fun.

TheElf
August 28th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I played in the bunghole.... don't remember Funkytaco though. I may have played in it, but don't remember. I think my gameplay was better back then.....old age sux :(

dg
August 28th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I've been playing since the day it came out.

LinkandKvel
August 28th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Wow. I remember being around so long as to reading about Halo CE capabilities and map maker ability, thinking it would be a helluvalot easier. I'm so ancient I was there when dennis first made his site and the only map was moonbase (or at least the only one I remembered).

Pooky
August 28th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I played Halo Trial for like... ever, when I was a nub and had no money. By the time I played Halo PC in... I think 03, I wasn't a nub anymore, but I still sucked. Eventually I got CE about a month before Hugeass came out. Used a shitload of different names before I finally settled on one, but didn't get involved in Halo forums at all till the CMT forums... (which at the time, didn't fail as much :fail:) I think I was like the tenth registered member. Got trolled a bunch by ross, reciprocated in full force.

Then when they went down I lost interest in Halo forums for a while longer, joined here a couple of months later. Got trolled by ross some more, good times. :)

<3 ross

Terry
August 28th, 2007, 11:41 PM
I have been playing Halo PC for a long time now. Probably about 2-3 years or so. Can't really remember. I aliased alot and stuff. I didn't stumble onto CE until sometime in mid 2005 I believe. So no, I can't say I remember any of those unfortunately. Although, I do remember the days before the aimbot, and I miss them so much ;_;

Mass
August 28th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I have been playing Halo PC for a long time now. Probably about 2-3 years or so. Can't really remember. I aliased alot and stuff. I didn't stumble onto CE until sometime in mid 2005 I believe. So no, I can't say I remember any of those unfortunately. Although, I do remember the days before the aimbot, and I miss them so much ;_;

Thats why we need to have a 100% effective antiaimbot mechanism, but I know of none yet.

TheGhost
August 29th, 2007, 12:00 AM
In it since the beginning. I remember modding HaloPC and downloading HaloCE the day it was released. I remember not knowing how to move the camera around in 3ds max when I was makin my first map. Oh man, there were so many good times back then.

Patrickssj6
August 29th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Well I guess I'm old...2003/2004 *YAWN*

I was too stupid to find the middle mouse button on my mouse to move the view port actually.

Jay2645
August 29th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Thats why we need to have a 100&#37; effective antiaimbot mechanism, but I know of none yet.
We have an 85% effective one, and I know how to make one 100% effective, but it involves changing MC's model.
Also, be wary of any faces; I have a friend in the clan, according to him, the leader encourages botting. Somehow he believes it makes you get better. So if you think a face is botting, he probably is.
Another thing, from my old days when I used to have an aimbot, it's harder to use then it looks. You have to have all the values set just right, and they reset every time you open the aimbot again. I don't use it anymore; I don't cheat. I still have it, though. Can't use it because I forgot what the how-to-get-instant-headshots-even-with-lag numbers are, as well as the kill-someone-even-if-they're-crouching numbers.

Terry
August 29th, 2007, 09:44 PM
It can't be any harder than learning to lead yourself.

Mass
August 29th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I have to re-figure out the lead with the first few shots in my clip, I have no latency to distance calculations, possibly contributing to my suck.

Limited
August 29th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Well, I started playing Halo Trial, thought this is some amazing stuff and waited for the release of Halo PC to come out (hadnt played it on xbox) started playing that for a bit. Then I heard some one say you can mod halo, I was like that sounds pretty fun. I first went to halo-mods.com and signed up there, thought everyone there was god, that arargn dude (the modeler) was there making some cool mods for the hog wheels :P

I remember thinking "woah this is so cool wish I could do this" and planned to learn how.

Halo-mods.com was mega slow and went down a few times, I stumpled above halomods.com (typo error heh) and thought hmm seems like a cool place too. So I joined up there, met some dudes in halo and formed a clan called chaos legion.

Most people know the story from then on, worked my way up halomods and got mod status :D

Now halo is pretty messed up, after the aimbot got leaked onto the net and now tons of noobs have it halo has changed alot. I was playing in a CE server the other day, I was at my base attacking some dude, I went to reload my pistol and I crouched, killed the dude and he was like. "Dude why are you aim bot checking me, you think I aimbot stfu I dont aimbot." Like wtf, I cant even crouch once without being labeled aimbot tester?

I admit I've called people aimbotter in the past but now your getting called aimbot tester and aimbotter on the first bloody kill. I remember playing plague in the PL server one time (wasnt that long ago really) and I snipe killed him in timberland, first kill of game he screams down teamspeak WTF AIMBOTTER, then started to dish shit about me in teamspeak, didnt relise I was in teamspeak :)

CL and PL days were the best. I've known diesel for ages now, back in the day when there wasnt that many PL's, now theres freaking loads of noobs who are in PL =\

STLRamsFan
August 29th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I really wish they would update that welcome message.. Been long overdue. =/

DrunkenSamus
August 29th, 2007, 11:20 PM
*sigh* It's true...the old days are always better. And that same principle goes for everything.

Stormwing
August 29th, 2007, 11:35 PM
to Penguin: omg, later on I tried out nitro's first h2 mod on a whim...my god, how times had changed lol
to Freelancer: agreed on that! After the 9800 era of graphics cards I totally lost track of what's new and what's in. Still have no damn clue.

I went from hating FPSes, to loving halo trial, to actually picking up PC although I found out about CE before I actually got the game...so besides the campaign and a little bit of multiplayer - enough to kinda join a clan, but no matches - I went straight to CE. (I think this all happened between 2/05 and summer '05)
Hell, I tried to get NMC to work on Trial somehow. Such as renaming it to bloodgulch.map and random stupid shit....I don't know, I was absolutely computer-retarded back then, lmao.

The first thing I remember from CE was New Mombasa Classic, released when I was still dicking around on Trial. Then I joined up with =EP, where NiTrOuSoXiDe and rec0 and the rest of the H2CE team hung out, defending H2CEs totally custom approach against the likes of Masterz and Knave.

The first major server I consistently played in was Hive Resurrection on W4rton Cove. From there, well, Beavis's Bunghole and designated server admin.

Then: (Updated again, lol)
-assisting, reffing, playing in, and helping organize League V1 and League V2 and all the controversies surrounding them,
-Pope and Merecat's massive failure against the TM team on WTC3 in the second league,
-witnessing the major revelations of CE's capabilities - custom UI creation, single player maps, etc etc etc
-revisiting old CE maps like Pipedream, Terralan, Camtrack, Oblivion, Outpost Rio Classic, Nightcamp CE, Lost cove, Paranoid X2, and Blood islands in the Bunghole, (following 7 things occurred in the Bunghole)
-Hide and Seek on Terralan,
-Race on Tension,
-Tallest Spartan tower on record(?) on New Mombasa,
-the Hyrule Field Derby
-An incredible match on NMC where teamwork somehow seeped into the collective mindset and teams put up organized assaults with hog convoys and organized defense perimeters,
-the VIP rocket hog on NMC,
-Masters constantly killing the server, and I could rarely keep track of gametypes...
-Bungie.net's interview with the overnight superstars of H2CE and showcasing New Mombasa, Zanzibar, and new weapons,
-Before H2CE released anything other than New Mombasa Classic and the subsequent waits, leaks, (slow) progress, and heavily anticipated release through their Direct2U application,
-when early early screenshots of H2Vista revealed that the long lost Nitro had been hired and was testing the sequel,
-UXB's Halo CE Chronicles,
-waiting around for the awesome Yoyorast release,
-the first replicas of the H2 Mongoose put into Halo,
-the contest for whose Mongoose would make it into Yoyo, KiLLa's, or...uh...who was the other dude...
-the initial Hugeass phenomenon,
-before the current 'big names' were well known/known, such as L33t, teh lag, WoL, Yoyorast, and Snafubar (sort of)
-when Neuro was just some insanely good modeller/mapper instead of that crazy man we know him to be today (we love you neuro)
-when an H2CE-famous Lightning revealed the custom UI capability and taunted the world with Mario/Starfox mods, (Lights you really oughta finish or show us the unfinished already!)
-when beta testing was everyone's ultimate goal,
-when MonoxideC, SupremeTaco, Mrs. Doublefire, and some old master modders were still around occasionally,
-before Mothergoat released his map pack and Decoy was his claim to CE fame,
-EXTERNAL INVASION DETECTED and all the events and incidents relating to a certain person,
-all the incidents regarding AdmiralBacon,
-=EP and KOD being two of the top clans at one point,
-=EP had multiple reliable and low-ping servers up,
-the sudden rise of HIV,
-D2T was pretty damn big,
-'mechwarrior123' was just a random mech modeller,
-when the Coagulation Mapping Team (CMT, lol), XeBec, and Knave and the H2CE team caused so many arguments over the ethics of ripping,
-before the mysterious #gbh was brought to any kind of light,
-before Veegie really joined the CE fray,
-when Yance got himself bant on GBX,
-Lobo getting killed (of course),
-a certain 'Winter Fox' person and her? maps which even today I dunno what it was all about,
-Sunny's first few psychedelic creations,
-when bitterbanana kept making increasingly cool hacks and the backlash from the aimbot and the subsequent efforts to stop it,
-the early days od the much-anticipated Yelo for CE by bitterbanana and kornman,
-when Paulus's All-Dev was a rare commodity,
-Zeph's massive effort to create a large scale mod called Euclid, (by the way Zeph, I loved the work of the music dudes you got - C&C...any way I could get more of their stuff?)
-seeing the aftermath of the H2CE/GBX split - i.e. Nitro's constant neverending hate for Reppy,
-when Blood Gulch mods were seen more often than crappy box maps,
-following the creation of the Zelda CE mod, helping test it, watching incredible videos of it, and jahrain's forced release of Hyrule,
-jahrain's OTHER awesome creations like chronopolis, the lost spartan, and prime
-Seraphim's Metroid CE was little more than an awesome Samus model, watching it's secretive progress, entering a logo for their contest,
-p0lar's groundbreaking single player map, BioHalo,
-SonicXtreme's then-abysmal beginnings with the sonic mod, gundam mod, armored core mod (which I eventually "picked up" lol), and some other things,
-when Limited was still [CL]9mm-man,
-AndrewMatlock's long progress on Cote D'Azur,
-neon vix's pending maps such as a new blood islands and zanzibar v2 (until he was later revealed to be paladin as well....??),
-DOMINATOR's cool maps - Paradise Lost, Wasteland (i think?), Dualling Keeps, and others
-05h3t5ky's small but very cool Fission Point, his other stunning ideas, and still incomplete D707 Raven human fighter (he hasn't said anything to me about it since...),
-DocOctavius and the beautiful hillsides of Red Feather Ranch, the fun on Claustrophobia, C3ll, the first real Energy Sword, and his later mappack,
-Caz's long WIP recreation of the E3 demo of Halo 2, aptly titled Cityscape,
-Arteen's first few maps and his first big hit - concat, and his resulting fame and awesome maps,
-when map leakers were the worst of the worst instead of aimbotters and noobtards,
-when KiLLa was a well known, but rarely seen top Halo modder,
-and when Hypothermia was a mysterious urban legend involving Elites, Snowhogs, and leakz.
....and so much other stuff i've forgotten already. This is just random (possibly unrelated) crap that's slowly popping back into my head. There are also so many more totally insignificant but fun events and small occurrences that I can't really piece together anymore that still stick with me now...sigh.

Good times. :-3
(somebody shoot me, at this rate I won't stop adding stuff to this stupidly long list)

This also reminds me....I haven't seen a lot of old players in a looong time...Foamy, Kyle, Winter-Snow, Nebetsu, iceman, BrenTiger, an emu, and countless more. :(

Mass
August 30th, 2007, 12:05 AM
who the FUCK are you?

Your friend is either a total idiot or a liar. Sam (the clan leader) seriosly disscourages botting. any acusations are taken seriously and any video's reviewed. he in no way condones them and anybody in the clan found botting is instantly expelled.

I'm a face. I'd know (and I've been around for several months..)

I think faces are mysterious since no one can really know them by name...
w/e are their more than one face clans? Any botter can pretend to be a face and no one will ever notice due to the fact that no one really remembers any particular names.

Limited
August 30th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Sorry, but wtf is this face crap?

Con
August 30th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Some noob thought it'd be funny to start a face "clan"... Most don't even know wtf they're doing when they join. Half of them say it's a clan, and half say it's a club where you change your name to some sort of face as a HCE "movement." I can't tell them apart for shit, seems like a dumbass idea. You just give up your identity to become one in a faceless mass of..faces. Ironic, I know.

Limited
August 30th, 2007, 01:24 AM
You mean in halo name? How do you put a face in your name? Or do you mean [FACE]

Veegie
August 30th, 2007, 01:39 AM
halohacker@blogspot.com
Before Halomods.com existed.

legionaire45
August 30th, 2007, 01:50 AM
to Penguin: omg, later on I tried out nitro's first h2 mod on a whim...my god, how times had changed lol
to Freelancer: agreed on that! After the 9800 era of graphics cards I totally lost track of what's new and what's in. Still have no damn clue.

I went from hating FPSes, to loving halo trial, to actually picking up PC although I found out about CE before I actually got the game...so besides the campaign and a little bit of multiplayer - enough to kinda join a clan, but no matches - I went straight to CE. (I think this all happened between 2/05 and summer '05)
Hell, I tried to get NMC to work on Trial somehow. Such as renaming it to bloodgulch.map and random stupid shit....I don't know, I was absolutely computer-retarded back then, lmao.

The first thing I remember from CE was New Mombasa Classic, released when I was still dicking around on Trial. Then I joined up with =EP, where NiTrOuSoXiDe and rec0 and the rest of the H2CE team hung out, defending H2CEs totally custom approach against the likes of Masterz and Knave.

The first major server I consistently played in was Hive Resurrection on W4rton Cove. From there, well, Beavis's Bunghole and designated server admin.

Then:
-assisting, reffing, playing in, and helping organize League V1 and League V2 and all the controversies surrounding them,
-Pope and Merecat's massive failure against the TM team on WTC3 in the second league,
-witnessing the major revelations of CE's capabilities - custom UI creation, single player maps, etc etc etc
-revisiting old CE maps like Pipedream, Terralan, Camtrack, Oblivion, Outpost Rio Classic, Nightcamp CE, Lost cove, Paranoid X2, and Blood islands in the Bunghole, (following 6 things occurred in the Bunghole)
-Hide and Seek on Terralan,
-Race on Tension,
-Tallest Spartan tower on record(?) on New Mombasa,
-An incredible match on NMC where teamwork somehow seeped into the collective mindset and teams put up organized assaults with hog convoys and organized defense perimeters,
-the VIP rocket hog on NMC,
-Masters constantly killing the server, and I could rarely keep track of gametypes...
-Bungie.net's interview with the overnight superstars of H2CE and showcasing New Mombasa, Zanzibar, and new weapons,
-Before H2CE released anything other than New Mombasa Classic and the subsequent waits, leaks, (slow) progress, and heavily anticipated release through their Direct2U application,
-when early early screenshots of H2Vista revealed that the long lost Nitro had been hired and was testing the sequel,
-UXB's Halo CE Chronicles,
-waiting around for the awesome Yoyorast release,
-the first replicas of the H2 Mongoose put into Halo,
-the contest for whose Mongoose would make it into Yoyo, KiLLa's, or...uh...who was the other dude...
-the initial Hugeass phenomenon,
-before the current 'big names' were well known/known, such as L33t, teh lag, WoL, Yoyorast, and Snafubar (sort of)
-when Neuro was just some insanely good modeller/mapper instead of that crazy man we know him to be today (we love you neuro)
-when an H2CE-famous Lightning revealed the custom UI capability and taunted the world with Mario/Starfox mods, (Lights you really oughta finish or show us the unfinished already!)
-when beta testing was everyone's ultimate goal,
-when MonoxideC, SupremeTaco, Mrs. Doublefire, and some old master modders were still around occasionally,
-before Mothergoat released his map pack and Decoy was his claim to CE fame,
-EXTERNAL INVASION DETECTED and all the events and incidents relating to a certain person,
-all the incidents regarding AdmiralBacon,
-=EP and KOD being two of the top clans at one point,
-=EP had multiple reliable and low-ping servers up,
-the sudden rise of HIV,
-D2T was pretty damn big,
-'mechwarrior123' was just a random mech modeller,
-when the Coagulation Mapping Team (CMT, lol), XeBec, and Knave and the H2CE team caused so many arguments over the ethics of ripping,
-before the mysterious #gbh was brought to any kind of light,
-before Veegie really joined the CE fray,
-when Yance got himself bant on GBX,
-Lobo getting killed (of course),
-a certain 'Winter Fox' person and her? maps which even today I dunno what it was all about,
-Sunny's first few psychedelic creations,
-when bitterbanana kept making increasingly cool hacks and the backlash from the aimbot and the subsequent efforts to stop it,
-the early days od the much-anticipated Yelo for CE by bitterbanana and kornman,
-when Paulus's All-Dev was a rare commodity,
-Zeph's massive effort to create a large scale mod called Euclid, (by the way Zeph, I loved the work of the music dudes you got - C&C...any way I could get more of their stuff?)
-seeing the aftermath of the H2CE/GBX split - i.e. Nitro's constant neverending hate for Reppy,
-when Blood Gulch mods were seen more often than crappy box maps,
-following the creation of the Zelda CE mod, helping test it, watching incredible videos of it, and jahrain's forced release of Hyrule,
-jahrain's OTHER awesome creations like chronopolis, the lost spartan, and prime
-Seraphim's Metroid CE was little more than an awesome Samus model, watching it's secretive progress, entering a logo for their contest,
-p0lar's groundbreaking single player map, BioHalo,
-SonicXtreme's then-abysmal beginnings with the sonic mod, gundam mod, armored core mod (which I eventually "picked up" lol), and some other things,
-when Limited was still [CL]9mm-man,
-AndrewMatlock's long progress on Cote D'Azur,
-neon vix's pending maps such as a new blood islands and zanzibar v2 (until he was later revealed to be paladin as well....??),
-DOMINATOR's cool maps - Paradise Lost, Wasteland (i think?), Dualling Keeps, and others
-05h3t5ky's small but very cool Fission Point, his other stunning ideas, and still incomplete D707 Raven human fighter (he hasn't said anything to me about it since...),
-DocOctavius and the beautiful hillsides of Red Feather Ranch, the fun on Claustrophobia, C3ll, the first real Energy Sword, and his later mappack,
-Caz's long WIP recreation of the E3 demo of Halo 2, aptly titled Cityscape,
-Arteen's first few maps and his first big hit - concat, and his resulting fame and awesome maps,
-when map leakers were the worst of the worst instead of aimbotters and noobtards,
-when KiLLa was a well known, but rarely seen top Halo modder,
-and when Hypothermia was a mysterious urban legend involving Elites, Snowhogs, and leakz.
....and so much other stuff i've forgotten already. This is just random (possibly unrelated) crap that's slowly popping back into my head. There are also so many more totally insignificant but fun events and small occurrences that I can't really piece together anymore that still stick with me now...sigh.

Good times. :-3
(somebody shoot me, at this rate I won't stop adding stuff to this stupidly long list)

This also reminds me....I haven't seen a lot of old players in a looong time...Foamy, Kyle, Winter-Snow, Nebetsu, iceman, BrenTiger, an emu, and countless more. :(

Please continue that list. Memories are flowing back to me =3.

Mass
August 30th, 2007, 01:54 AM
their is a propper clan. some people just put make their name a face cos they want to. tbh I didn'[t join the clan just to put a face in my name (which I could have easilly done) but because their a cool clan to game with. most of the whiney nubs are not in the actual clan.

exactly.

yep, who the fuck is gonna remember:

[{ +___+ }]-

versus

-[{ o___0 }]

not I anyway.

Limited
August 30th, 2007, 01:55 AM
:D Winter Snow ftw. I think he started to play WoW. Does foamy still go to GBX?

Mass
August 30th, 2007, 02:01 AM
those arn't in the clan. also me because they look funny :3

fuck you. :)

Limited
August 30th, 2007, 02:01 AM
yep, who the fuck is gonna remember:

[{ +___+ }]-

versus

-[{ o___0 }]

not I anyway.Ah so thats why you mean.

~[{ $_____$}]~

:D

Lol dont be so hostile Massacre

Mass
August 30th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Let's all play Create-A-N00b!!

:D

Limited
August 30th, 2007, 02:05 AM
<SVC>
I win

Mass
August 30th, 2007, 02:06 AM
<Hogdriver155>

Teehee, the easy meat.

Limited
August 30th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Close, but I still win.

Mass
August 30th, 2007, 02:08 AM
I suppose, now let's stop thread-jacking, lol.

Limited
August 30th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Well :P Ive never seen you in game Massarce, are you good?

Edit

WTF screenshot?

El Lobo
August 30th, 2007, 02:09 AM
The face clan has always been shady imo. Way to destroy any type of identity or name you could have made for yourself by playing as a set of characters. Although, I guess I alias for the same reason sometimes, so meh.

Also, storm, you weren't around before #gbh babe. <3

Limited
August 30th, 2007, 02:12 AM
I've seen some weird names too lobo :D Like #31#4#1~~~<>?!!+$ or whatever :D Always show up as blank on scoreboard, generally people with bizzare names are good players.

Stormwing
August 30th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Also, storm, you weren't around before #gbh babe. <3
I mean before #gbh seemed to get more well-known, albeit shady, to the general gbx population.

maybe this was the case before, but some peopl started goin "omg gbh" sometime after i joined...not that it didn't exist beforehand.

Limited
August 30th, 2007, 02:21 AM
You joined #gbh stormwing? Nooooooo you joined the dark side >_<

El Lobo
August 30th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Enough talk about non-old school halo things. Who was in the Tower Crew that goes here? Also, fuck the Secret Box Club :)

p0lar_bear
August 30th, 2007, 02:33 AM
-Tallest Spartan tower on record(?) on New Mombasa,Funny you should mention that, I still have that screenshot; found it sitting in My Pictures folder. Twelve people, two flags, three uncooperative fags who knocked the tower down at last 5 times, and then myself to take the picture, as it was before the days of alldev for all.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p119/p0lar_bear/Halo/tower.png

-when Paulus's All-Dev was a rare commodity,It still is; bitter made his own Alldev to shut the n00bs up who would incessantly bitch about not having it.

-p0lar's groundbreaking single player map, BioHalo,/hf Storm (epeen +1)

I haven't seen a lot of old players in a looong time...Foamy, Kyle, Winter-Snow, Nebetsu, iceman, BrenTiger, an emu, and countless more. :(Foamy I saw a few months ago on XFire, Kyle was in the [HIV] server recently, and the rest just fell right off the face of the Earth.

Limited
August 30th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Heh classic times pbear :D

Jay2645
August 30th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I see an emu in the Diesel Servers sometimes.

Lol, if people didn't know that an emu was a name, Noob and I both sound like idiots.

Jay2645
August 30th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Meh, I hide a secret banana gun in every UMT map, so it's not that far-fetched.

Stormwing
August 30th, 2007, 04:10 AM
pbear: well, biohalo WAS the first of its kind ;)

my tower pic:
http://www.maj.com/gallery/Solarix/Halo/t16.png

And oops, i forggot about bb's alldev.

and x2 yeah, shame we lost everyone else. Oh and there was the time where Phil made the machinima about a dude commiting suicide on NMC. it's the one instance I still remember BrenTiger in...

Mass
August 30th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Well :P Ive never seen you in game Massarce, are you good?

Edit

WTF screenshot?

Hardly. I can kill noobs easy but any above average player has unwanted anal intercourse with me.

Jay2645
August 30th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I'm mediocre, like Massacre, I can bring down noobs easily.
My main skill seems to be taking out vehicles; I've taken out a Scorpion on Halo 2 with dual Magnums. In Halo 1, I can still take out vehicles, it takes pretty good timing to make them want to come back and circle around to hit you. Too early, they'll alter their course to hit you or will fly past you before you can take them out, too late, and you're splattered against the windshield.

Just right, they'll circle around while you keep shooting at them with a pistol, eventually taking them out. Just make sure the vehicle you're shooting at doesn't have a gunner, or you're toast.

I'm also a pretty good sniper, not the best, but I can normally hit and kill the driver of a hog first try, though it takes me a couple shots to kill a moving person, ironically. I'm just suited to vehicle combat.

I also am good at capturing the flag, I manage to work in teams, have the rest of the team rush in and cause big booms while I run in during the resulting chaos, grab the flag, run to safety, and have any survivors fall back to guard me.

Skyline
August 30th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Umm vehicles in halo 2 are underpowered. It is easy to take out any vehicle.

Jay2645
August 30th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Yeah, it is easy, but still, he was camping, and the magnum's the weakest gun in the game.

Skyline
August 30th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah, it is easy, but still, he was camping, and the magnum's the weakest gun in the game.
No it isn't...

Jay2645
August 30th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Umm vehicles in halo 2 are underpowered. It is easy to take out any vehicle.

No it isn't...
MAKE UP YOUR MIND!
Lol.

El Lobo
August 30th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I'm mediocre, like Massacre, I can bring down noobs easily.
My main skill seems to be taking out vehicles; I've taken out a Scorpion on Halo 2 with dual Magnums. In Halo 1, I can still take out vehicles, it takes pretty good timing to make them want to come back and circle around to hit you. Too early, they'll alter their course to hit you or will fly past you before you can take them out, too late, and you're splattered against the windshield.

Just right, they'll circle around while you keep shooting at them with a pistol, eventually taking them out. Just make sure the vehicle you're shooting at doesn't have a gunner, or you're toast.

I'm also a pretty good sniper, not the best, but I can normally hit and kill the driver of a hog first try, though it takes me a couple shots to kill a moving person, ironically. I'm just suited to vehicle combat.

I also am good at capturing the flag, I manage to work in teams, have the rest of the team rush in and cause big booms while I run in during the resulting chaos, grab the flag, run to safety, and have any survivors fall back to guard me.When did this turn into a strategy discussion thread? You're not even talking about CE...............in the CE section.

Jay2645
August 30th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Well, I was talking about CE 95&#37; of the time, from where I said "In Halo 1," down.

Zeph
August 30th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Hah, that was great because I had very little digital media experience and the tag extractors weren't public yet, since they didn't work on everything. I was outlining everything with boxes in Max just to try and get places to drop AI in Sapien only to have an exception pop up from a bad extraction of a monitor's animation. I was soo noobish at the time.

me: no, Euclid was an old halo thing where I took those spartans that were too far away to be easily recalled and slammed them onto the far side of Covenant space. It would have brought in a few more covenant species, a few of non-warring species, and the part of covenant society that wasn't as deep into the religion and war as what we've seen in Halo 1
masters: that sounds real interesting
me: yeah. I was doing this all before Halo 2, and I was laying the foundations for a civil war to give the human front lines a break as the covenant diverted military resources away. I was close enough, and I still think mine is more interesting..
That was pretty much the gist of it. Ever since I read the books, awaiting Halo 2's release I had that in mind. Last I heard, Nylund was looking to fill in that spartan team's story in another book, so anything I do with it would draw attention faster than Halogen. Pity that he'll probably end up wasting their potential with a hybrid clone of his prior books again.

I got Halo PC in mid 2004ish if I remember (not positive, although Zeph might know considering I tried to get into Rabid clan even though I was underage and did a fail job of it xD. I know I had played a little while before that, well, long enough to actually not be sucky). I think I joined some time in between patches 1.03 and 1.05, although I really don't remember too much of it.
I dont really remember much of RC other than the people who were actually in it and the ladders. We were always talking in teamspeak when playing and didn't pay attention to text chatting that much. How old were you at the time? The age thing was more about maturity than your actual age. I joined RC when I was 16 and played with them until we found out Soldier was stealing some of our server donation money and split off to form DeMarlie's Halo division in Vagrant Clan.

Beavis
August 30th, 2007, 10:34 PM
So this is where you all have been hiding. Sup Lobo

El Lobo
August 30th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Love you Beavis. How's oakland.

Stormwing
August 30th, 2007, 11:59 PM
So this is where you all have been hiding. Sup Lobo
Beavis, I love you.

Welcome back, and dammit, STICK AROUND again!