PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista - Can you run it?

PlasbianX
September 10th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Heres a nifty little app that will show ya if your PC can handle vista, and what will and won't run on vista. Its nice to see what ya need to change before ya get it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx

So if ya pass all the scans, your PC can handle Vista. This may change however, if windows changes anything between now, and release. But its still a nifty little app.

May PC is capable of running vista, how about yours :)

Boo Diddly
September 10th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Mine definatly runs it... I'm running the beta as we speak...

MuaHaHA! *I even have the arieo interface, its sweet. definatly not a knock off of the stupid mac os x*

TheGhost
September 10th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Same as above. I can choose whether to run XP or Vista. I like Vista but it will definitely take some getting used to.

Boo Diddly
September 10th, 2006, 09:43 PM
there are also some things that i have that don't work on vista. its supprising how starcraft works so well on it, being that it was released for win 95... good code can last, but great code will be forever.

Teroh
September 11th, 2006, 01:26 AM
I really doubt it can work on mine.

Limited
September 11th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Hell yes it can

Rescudo
September 11th, 2006, 01:25 PM
I just ran the application. When I saw the "Your computer cannot run Windows Vista", I thought "Oh shit.", but it turns out I only need to get an extra hard drive, which I was going to do anyway :P

So hooray, I can run it. xD

Zeph
September 11th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I can barely run it. I'll need more hard drive space. I'm currently running with less than a gig of free space, right now. I'll end up using my Shuttle as a low-end testing machine for H2V maps. Once I get more money, I'll buy a dedicated gaming machine that'll rape.

Rescudo
September 11th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Same here, I've got 2 GBs left before I have to get serious about buying that external hard drive >_>

Emmzee
September 11th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I'm still waiting on the results.

Mr. BBQ
September 11th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I need another hard drive to run it, but it'd be useless on this comp. I'm waiting till I build my own to get Vista.

Zeph
September 11th, 2006, 04:23 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/zeph483/frownieface.jpg

Lol :(. At least Kornmanv2.00 made it through.

Emmzee
September 11th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I can run it, need to upgrade my sound card drivers though.

itszutak
September 11th, 2006, 05:34 PM
It didn't stop scanning after 5 hours...How long should it take on a 250gig drive?

Zeph
September 11th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Umm, the same it would take on a 25GB hard drive?

Rescudo
September 12th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Err what? Mine used one minute. :botman:

Rosco
September 12th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Mine can run it, but the radeon 9700 can't run aero :(
I'm not sure what aero is, could someone link me to an info page?

~A.
September 12th, 2006, 03:44 PM
My pc can run it, but my new laptop (which is going to be a million times better than the crap I have right now) should be here in about 2 weeks so any upgrading will be done on that.

Boo Diddly
September 12th, 2006, 08:51 PM
areo is the special ui for vista.

legionaire45
September 16th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I can run it. I would hope so after spending several hundred bucks getting my computer back up and running. I got the "update you drivers" warnings as well. I hope that my SB Audigy 2 ZS doesn't have as many issues as it did in beta 2 in the full OS when it comes out. BSOD's are not cool.

Atty
September 16th, 2006, 10:33 PM
It will run perfectly for me but it dosent like my X-Fi.

Timo
September 16th, 2006, 11:58 PM
I can run it ^^. although I'll lose my High-Def audio, although I don't really use it.

itszutak
September 23rd, 2006, 04:47 PM
I waited 24 hours...It's still scanning! >_<

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
September 23rd, 2006, 06:58 PM
I scanned a while ago, it just recommended that I buy another gig of ram.

Chewy Gumball
September 23rd, 2006, 10:07 PM
I was recomended to get another harddrive even though it was a 100gig one. LOL. Its not that smart, it only scanned the one partition.

Rescudo
September 24th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I waited 24 hours...It's still scanning! >_<

Wow... it must have hung up or something.

InnerGoat
September 24th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I am running it and it's fully functional with everything i've tried so far. :winner:

mined
September 24th, 2006, 05:48 PM
I was recomended to get another harddrive even though it was a 100gig one. LOL. Its not that smart, it only scanned the one partition.

That was the only recommendation for me as well. I only have a 40 gig HD, though. I store most of my stuff on an external HD that I share between my laptop and PC, though.

I am hoping to get a nice holiday bonus from work so I can just buy a new computer with higher stats then my current one that will come with Vista.

itszutak
September 24th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Wow... it must have hung up or something.

That's what I'm thinking.

By the way, I have a 250gig drive with 227gigs already used.

Could that be slowing things down? >_>

Arteen
September 24th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Your system is configured for high-definition audio, which does not work with Windows Vista.
Vista can't handle high-definition audio?

Besides this, I just got one incompatibility warning, and the rest are driver updates and software patches. I can handle Vista Ultimate just fine. =D

Emmzee
September 24th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I won't get the bug machine they call Windows Vista until they release a service pack for it.

mR_r0b0to
September 24th, 2006, 11:26 PM
i can run it :)

but i need to upgrade my mobility radeon m6-p, which is impossible

new rig soon :D

Cortexian
September 25th, 2006, 08:39 AM
I made the swich already, no longer using XP (mb that wasn't very smart on my part), but my PC is souly a Vista PC now. I got a 4.1 rating (out of the 5.0) on how well off my PC is, my gfx card is dragging me down... Time to upgrade :)

Chewy Gumball
September 25th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Unless you have your XP disk around, you are going to have to buy vista when the beta expires now.

Zeph
September 25th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I won't get the bug machine they call Windows Vista until they release a service pack for it.
Vista is more stable than XP as of RC1.

I made the swich already, no longer using XP (mb that wasn't very smart on my part), but my PC is souly a Vista PC now. I got a 4.1 rating (out of the 5.0) on how well off my PC is, my gfx card is dragging me down... Time to upgrade
That was incredibly stupid. Most of your stuff wont work now, seeing how very few companies will put out Vista drivers before it goes retail.

Cortexian
September 26th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Meh, mostly everything works...

Teroh
September 27th, 2006, 12:00 AM
What I'm going to do, is when Vista is released, buy a completely new computer EXCEPT for video card. I'll wait for video cards (DX9) to drop in price a lot when dx10 cards come out. Then I'll after about half a year get a new V-Card.

~ZMT~Trace
September 27th, 2006, 05:16 PM
The only reson i would ever upgrade my XP to Vista is for Halo 2 vista, and mb cuz its pretty:eyesroll:

Boo Diddly
September 27th, 2006, 06:45 PM
also the only reason to upgrade is that new things will eventually not support xp. look at what happened to winows 95...

Rosco
September 29th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Buy the Cheapest version of Vista there is to get Halo 2.
That's what I'm going to do, until my brother forks up cash to buy the Home Edition that's got Aero and such.

I'll be getting a new graphics card along the way, but that depends, would a 9700 work on Vista ( estimate on Halo 2 Vista)

Cortexian
September 29th, 2006, 01:55 PM
As soon as it comes out im getting Vista Ultimate for the upgrade price >_>

im usre a ATI 9700 would work, but its getting low-end there... Im running a ATI AIW X800 XL and its average with vista...

Chewy Gumball
September 29th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Its recomended you have a 5200 (I think thats a 9000 or 9200 ati) for Aero. There really isn't any point in paying for the cheapest because its so stripped down you might as well pay the extra $50 for something better than buying it twice.

InnerGoat
September 29th, 2006, 04:27 PM
also the only reason to upgrade is that new things will eventually not support xp. look at what happened to winows 95...
Windows XP will keep being updated until 2011 iirc, so you should be fine.:o

edit-

mainstream support for all versions of Windows XP will continue at least until April 14, 2009.

XP Professional (including the x64 and Tablet PC editions) will be able to count on receiving security updates through April, 2014. Under the published security update policy, those security updates will continue to be delivered through Windows Update for at least two years after the beginning of the extended support phase, or until at least April, 2011.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?cat=16

rossmum
September 30th, 2006, 08:20 AM
I'm not even going to bother checking... I know my PC can't run Vista. :fail:

itszutak
September 30th, 2006, 10:09 AM
My PC gets a bluescreen starting up RC1 Vista. Has that happened to anyone else? :/

I'm pretty sure it's not my computer's problem; I have one of those Dell XPS computers.

Boo Diddly
October 3rd, 2006, 11:36 PM
mainstream support for all versions of Windows XP will continue at least until April 14, 2009.
WRONG!
They stopped supporing pre-SP1 XP about a year or so ago. And I'm not talking about security updates and such, I'm talking about programs from other companies.

Zeph
October 4th, 2006, 12:47 AM
My PC gets a bluescreen starting up RC1 Vista. Has that happened to anyone else? :/

I'm pretty sure it's not my computer's problem; I have one of those Dell XPS computers.

That's actually the first time I've heard of Vista BSODing. Check your memory out. That's the most likely cause. Be sure it's getting the proper voltage and set to run at the right timings.

Chewy Gumball
October 6th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Theres BSODs in Vista. Don't last very long most of the time. Take out one of your ram modules. See if it will run with just one (if you have two)

Nic
October 7th, 2006, 06:26 PM
D=

I can run it im amazed.

rossmum
October 7th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Theres BSODs in Vista. Don't last very long most of the time. Take out one of your ram modules. See if it will run with just one (if you have two)
Just don't do what my friend Bruce did out of curiosity and take all the RAM out while it's running. It just started beeping and wouldn't turn off :rolleyes:

itszutak
October 7th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Just don't do what my friend Bruce did out of curiosity and take all the RAM out while it's running. It just started beeping and wouldn't turn off :rolleyes:
D=

Nic
October 8th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Lmao.

I should do that sometime, might fuck my computer up but =p

But for now, im going to backup everything on my ipod. Take away my ipod and dl as much spyware as possible. Then format LOL

Will be fun.

Ill do that tomorrow.

Boo Diddly
October 8th, 2006, 03:58 AM
just don't have anything open or running that you need saved when you do that. doing anything drastic to the harware while running will immediatly halt your computer.

supprisingly the floppy drive is hot swappable... as long as you don't create a spark with the power cord.

InnerGoat
October 9th, 2006, 07:57 PM
supprisingly the floppy drive is hot swappable... as long as you don't create a spark with the power cord.Lmao. Thats pretty much useless.
:lol:

Nic
October 9th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Oh yea.

Going to hot swap this floppy so I can split the file into 2 =O!

And im running Vista =D

Boo Diddly
October 10th, 2006, 11:55 AM
i know, its just kinda funny that the floppy drive is hot-swappable, yet a cd drive isnt. ^^

Rescudo
October 11th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Heh, mine is... but I only have 1, so it's no good. :p

legionaire45
October 17th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Are Videocards hot swapawble? :-3
Anywaysm interestingly I switched my NEC DVD drive with a newer one (same drive except it supports DVD-RAM) and the Vista hardware tester thingy said I would need a DVD drive. I put it back onto the IDE-SATA adapter I had and it didn't give me any trouble at all. Very odd....

InnerGoat
October 18th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Also, the latest Nvidia drivers (96.85) seem to work better in vista.
I havn't tried any games yet, but I was able to get as far as turing on 16xAF without the thing dying on me.

:-3

PlasbianX
October 18th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Im running the newest vista beta, and im loving the voice recognition features.

Aero
October 24th, 2006, 04:51 PM
I'm not having a problem with the 64-bit beta, it runs smooth. Therefore I will not have any difficulties with the real version.

Boo Diddly
October 26th, 2006, 05:01 PM
most hardware is not hot-swapable. external devices can be hot-swapable

tj117
October 26th, 2006, 06:04 PM
somehthings wrong with my internet connection for it.....
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/3958/wahwahwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauf4.png

Help plz?

Patrickssj6
October 28th, 2006, 04:30 PM
somehthings wrong with my internet connection for it.....
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/3958/wahwahwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauf4.png

Help plz?
Firewall.....

Cortexian
November 6th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Firewall.....
Or possibly blocked ports in your router.

Patrickssj6
November 6th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Or possibly blocked ports in your router.
lol guess what....

InnerGoat
November 6th, 2006, 04:30 PM
lol guess what....It went over his head or something, lolz