PDA

View Full Version : [HALO 3] BWU - 2007/08/31

Kornman00
August 31st, 2007, 07:01 PM
Readme (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12740).

Kornman00
August 31st, 2007, 07:13 PM
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/WeeklyUpdate/bnetmainpagesm.jpg

Note how the user viewing is not logged in. Meaning this may be accessible from a bungie.net URL...

FireDragon04
August 31st, 2007, 07:57 PM
Indeed, sweet stuff. Really looking forward to this, great way to save my ownage save film screenshots, and great presentation!

Zeph
August 31st, 2007, 08:00 PM
that's the equivilent of a 'search for gamertag' I believe.

et_cg
August 31st, 2007, 08:00 PM
Very exciting.

PlasbianX
August 31st, 2007, 09:53 PM
With Halo 3 however, there are no glaring compromises, and almost no invisible ones. We’ve not only executed on all the stuff we wanted to for Halo 2, we’ve executed on a bunch of stuff that seemed like pipe dreams three years ago. The shopping list of features is crazy. Campaign, 4 player co-op, Team Scoring, Saved Films, Forge, Multiplayer, File Sharing, the new Bnet. We already encountered a problem with this as we planned out review events

I smell Clan Support for live :O

Skiiran
September 1st, 2007, 02:17 AM
Good God, I know it isn't the focus of the update, but that ODST is fucking GORGEOUS, in my opinion.

ExAm
September 1st, 2007, 03:24 AM
Good God, I know it isn't the focus of the update, but that ODST is fucking GORGEOUS, in my opinion.IRAWTP

TIA Gangsta
September 1st, 2007, 05:14 AM
OMG, is that big picture of Arby and the Marines in-game? No way...NO way....maybe..?

FireDragon04
September 1st, 2007, 05:45 AM
OMG, is that big picture of Arby and the Marines in-game? No way...NO way....maybe..?
Yea, looks like its on a convenent place in my eyes, gawd bungie take such unreveling screenies!

TIA Gangsta
September 1st, 2007, 06:34 AM
Yea, looks like its on a convenent place in my eyes, gawd bungie take such unreveling screenies!

Nah I think it's concept art cos it looks like CG rather than in-game. I doubt Halo 3 would have that much detail.

DaneO'Roo
September 1st, 2007, 07:02 AM
Nope, thats ingame. I've noticed the marines and such have much moar res then the chief does. Mostly because you don't want skin and facial features to look pixelated. Which is why Johnson looks so fucking real. Chiefs diffuse however is a big blur ball. His bump map is hi res, though. It's because he's all armour though.
When your looking at a golden visor and a metal helmet theres more leniency with resolution. But if your looking at a face with blurry low res eyebrows, pixelated eyeballs and blurry painted on looking facial hair and freckles, on a 360 title, thats just not acceptable. Besides, your not going to have 16 marines in one map in multiplayer, so performance isn't a problem I wouldn't think. I could however be underestimating Halo 3's engine capabilities though xD

Veegie
September 1st, 2007, 07:13 AM
With Halo 3 however, there are no glaring compromises, and almost no invisible ones. We’ve not only executed on all the stuff we wanted to for Halo 2, we’ve executed on a bunch of stuff that seemed like pipe dreams three years ago. The shopping list of features is crazy. Campaign, 4 player co-op, Team Scoring, Saved Films, Forge, Multiplayer, File Sharing, the new Bnet. We already encountered a problem with this as we planned out review eventsI smell Clan Support for live :O
Because of the existence of Team Scoring? Considerings that's just the ability to keep track of a score during a meta game... no. Bungie has said time and time again that Clan support will not be in Halo 3. Period.

Nope, thats ingame. I've noticed the marines and such have much moar res then the chief does. Mostly because you don't want skin and facial features to look pixelated. Which is why Johnson looks so fucking real. Chiefs diffuse however is a big blur ball. His bump map is hi res, though. It's because he's all armour though.
When your looking at a golden visor and a metal helmet theres more leniency with resolution. But if your looking at a face with blurry low res eyebrows, pixelated eyeballs and blurry painted on looking facial hair and freckles, on a 360 title, thats just not acceptable. Besides, your not going to have 16 marines in one map in multiplayer, so performance isn't a problem I wouldn't think. I could however be underestimating Halo 3's engine capabilities though xD
Marines and Master Chief both have 640x for their diffuse texture, and 768x for their normal. It isn't a "disability" or a "trimming process" for the MC to look like that. It's a design choice. They're not by any means forced to make him look like that for performance reasons. It's all choice.

Note how the user viewing is not logged in. Meaning this may be accessible from a bungie.net URL...
They've stated all their testing is on internal servers on their network. Better luck next time(unless you were kidding).:)

DaneO'Roo
September 1st, 2007, 07:46 AM
Marines and Master Chief both have 640x for their diffuse texture, and 768x for their normal. It isn't a "disability" or a "trimming process" for the MC to look like that. It's a design choice. They're not by any means forced to make him look like that for performance reasons. It's all choice.

oh. I was way off :p

Still though, dunno about bungie but chief sure could use some more definitive detail to seperate him more graphically from halo 2. At the moment he doesn't look a whole lot different. I say "a whole lot" loosely, he does look much better, but no where near what I expected of a 360 title. If they infact limited him graphically to match halo 2, then that's pretty silly. He just looks like a big blur ball in the up close screenshots. To be honest, seeing him as a big blurr ball on a big screen is going to look worse, but thats how I see it. He definitely looked much better at E3 06. He truly looked Next Gen and turned heads. Now hes just a cut above halo 2, and doesn't look near as impressive or graphically beautiful as he did at E3 06.

Kornman00
September 1st, 2007, 10:29 AM
How about we just wait until the game is out and we can see the details with our own eyes on our own tvs before we say anything ;)?

Also, that was a cinematic. No doubt they pump up everything even more in those since they have explicit control of the scene (as they did in Halo 2).

TIA Gangsta
September 1st, 2007, 10:55 AM
How about we just wait until the game is out and we can see the details with our own eyes on our own tvs before we say anything ;)?

Also, that was a cinematic. No doubt they pump up everything even more in those since they have explicit control of the scene (as they did in Halo 2).

Nah Bungie say they don't like using CG or anything like that in any part of their games. They say that the cutscenes are better off using the in-game engine.

leorimolo
September 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM
Uhm no... He meant that in halo 2 cut scenes used high res LOD's and used some intense bloom in them

ExAm
September 1st, 2007, 02:05 PM
Cutscenes do use the ingame engine, but they use higher res models of the characters. and more visual effects, such as DoF and better lighting.

TIA Gangsta
September 1st, 2007, 02:37 PM
Meh, you're probably right.

P.S. Any reason why these forums have been running slower than usual?

Kornman00
September 1st, 2007, 10:45 PM
Yeah, some models have a dedicated cinematic LOD, etc

Meh, you're probably right.

P.S. Any reason why these forums have been running slower than usual?
Probably someone is trying to DOS it (unsuccessfully)

Patrickssj6
September 2nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
Yeah, some models have a dedicated cinematic LOD, etc

Probably someone is trying to DOS it (unsuccessfully)
I don't feel any difference..but that's may just be me with my nazi connection.