View Full Version : [SOURCE] Goldeneye: Source

Pooky
January 3rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
Needs more autoaim and less mouselook but nonetheless

http://www.goldeneyesource.com/

they've done an amazing job on this so far

ChickenShyt
January 3rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I've heard of that - and in fact, I've downloaded it (a friend convinced me to) and yet, I've never played it...I guess I need to eventually, eh?

Emmzee
January 3rd, 2007, 06:06 PM
Needs less PP7 and more other weapons. EDIT: Nevermind. Needs less insanely good players.

rossmum
January 4th, 2007, 12:47 AM
/me downloads unmetered through Internode

Cool. Love the L42A1 knockoff, beauty of a rifle.

Teroh
January 4th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Ehhh way too fast paced.

rossmum
January 4th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Just played it... obviously nobody's optimised it yet. Cradle nearly killed my PC.

Anyways, it was amusing for a while, but IMO they could've made it so much better (I'm aware it's not done), it really doesn't use much of the Source engine's power (except on some maps) or many of its features at all. The weapon FP views and animations clearly aren't done, and neither are all the weapons probably... some of them I liked, some of them I didn't. The L42 looked great in renders but not so hot ingame in FP, and the AK lacked any sort of detail whatsoever. I never got the chance to actually play Goldeneye (though I have played The World is Not Enough), so I can't really comment on how faithful it is to the original... there were mixed views ingame too, some players saying that it lost the feel somewhere between an earlier version and the current one, and some saying it was perfect.

Overall verdict? I'll probably wait until it's done to give it one.

Emmzee
January 4th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Nonetheless, it's still a fun, if fast-paced game. I only hope they will make it more faithful to the N64 game, with the same gametypes and weapon types. Proxies and shotguns do not belong in the same game.

finalcuthalo
January 6th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Just played it... obviously nobody's optimised it yet. Cradle nearly killed my PC.

Anyways, it was amusing for a while, but IMO they could've made it so much better (I'm aware it's not done), it really doesn't use much of the Source engine's power (except on some maps) or many of its features at all. The weapon FP views and animations clearly aren't done, and neither are all the weapons probably... some of them I liked, some of them I didn't. The L42 looked great in renders but not so hot ingame in FP, and the AK lacked any sort of detail whatsoever. I never got the chance to actually play Goldeneye (though I have played The World is Not Enough), so I can't really comment on how faithful it is to the original... there were mixed views ingame too, some players saying that it lost the feel somewhere between an earlier version and the current one, and some saying it was perfect.

Same. It's still a beta so it is not going to work flawlessly.

WhiteRaven
January 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM
That looks like a very good thing. I'll have to try it out.

Emmzee
January 6th, 2007, 07:20 PM
That looks like a very good thing. I'll have to try it out.
Yes, it is a Good Thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Thing). (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Thing)

k4is3rxkh40s
January 7th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Downloading to try it out now.

Pooky
January 7th, 2007, 02:31 AM

A lot of that is how it was in Goldeneye, actually. GE didn't have reload animations, you just put the gun down and pick it back up. The maps aren't very well optimized yet, but if you turn shadow detail on low Cradle runs better. A lot of servers seem to have a one hit kills mod in, and they ALL have some sort of "weapon fix" that makes everything burst fire, so the gameplay was INSANE when I played it. A lot of weapons are still missing, and a lot of gametypes. But keep in mind that is IS still a Beta 1.

Max
January 8th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I'm not too excited about this mod, I played it and I didn't really think it was that great.

Maybe because I've never really gotten into Goldeneye for N64.

Pooky
January 8th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Eh, Goldeneye was one of those games that not everyone could just pick up and play. You had to be into it. So, I can understand that.