PDA

View Full Version : Lightmaps; How do you know if they're going well?

Ingulit
September 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
This may sound like a strange request, but I was wondering if someone could post an the output of a successful quality 0 and a quality 1 lightmaps operation by tool; right now, my lightmaps is freezing at 0.000000, and I'd like to see if it always starts out that way. This'd also serve as a good reference to new mapmakers who don't know what the heck lightmaps even are, I think.

Zeph
September 3rd, 2007, 08:09 PM
Quality 0 lightmaps simply give primary illumination color to the faces. As you move up to quality 1, it actually takes the radiosity into effect. For a quality 1 example, if you have a white light at each end of a white colored hallway, one tinted red and the other blue, then the closer to the center of that hallway you get, the more purple the hallway would look. If the quality was set to 0, then it'd just look white.

Roostervier
September 3rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
0.00000 Means lightmaps is finished I believe.

Ingulit
September 3rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Well, that's odd, because the first number it outputs is 0.000000 and it stays that way for around thirty minutes before doing anything (at which point it outputs no other numbers, but says that it is complete). When I viewed the level in Sapien, it was almost full-black. I'm not sure what to do. :\

This is an indoor map with no sky (though I tried adding a sky to no avail). The light *should* be coming from some faces on overhead hanging lights that have a custom light shader; this shader has no bitmap, has a radiosity power of 150, a color of emmited light and tint color white, a lens flare spacing of 0 and the "b40 orange glow" lens flare, and a diffuse material color of white. In-game, the light isn't showing up at all.

I tried running lightmaps in Sapien, and it completed even on full quality; however, when I ran radiosity_save, Sapien froze and I had to close it out with the Task Manager. I'm baffled :S

Ingulit
September 3rd, 2007, 08:42 PM
This was my tool output:

09.03.07 19:45:01 tool pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
09.03.07 19:45:01 reference function: _write_to_error_file
09.03.07 19:45:01 reference address: 42ca20
09.03.07 19:45:01 No More Errors For Tools By: {TLS}Udie
09.03.07 19:45:01 i'm going to render debug lightmaps for detention of levels\knd\detention\detention, and i'll stop when red+blue+green = 0.100000.
Hit control-c now if this isn't right.
09.03.07 19:45:33 WARNING: 1 clusters in structure_bsp levels\test\levelname\levelname have no background sound or sound environment.
09.03.07 19:45:33 start levels\test\levelname\levelname
09.03.07 19:45:47 0.000000
09.03.07 20:10:09 finished levels\test\levelname\levelname
09.03.07 20:10:09 done

Roostervier
September 3rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
When it says done, lightmaps is finished. Your level should be lit.

kenney001
September 3rd, 2007, 09:11 PM
Well, that's odd, because the first number it outputs is 0.000000 and it stays that way for around thirty minutes before doing anything (at which point it outputs no other numbers, but says that it is complete). When I viewed the level in Sapien, it was almost full-black. I'm not sure what to do. :\

This is an indoor map with no sky (though I tried adding a sky to no avail). The light *should* be coming from some faces on overhead hanging lights that have a custom light shader; this shader has no bitmap, has a radiosity power of 150, a color of emmited light and tint color white, a lens flare spacing of 0 and the "b40 orange glow" lens flare, and a diffuse material color of white. In-game, the light isn't showing up at all.

I tried running lightmaps in Sapien, and it completed even on full quality; however, when I ran radiosity_save, Sapien froze and I had to close it out with the Task Manager. I'm baffled :S

this means it was "saving" your lightmaps. That normally takes a minute or two for me, depedning on the complexity of the radiosity.

when you run it through tool, it should say "created bitmap (some numbers)" then it should say its finished. Sounds to me like you have no sky applied, or your shaders are blank or missing.

Ingulit
September 3rd, 2007, 09:28 PM
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=22669&highlight=%22radiosity_save%22+sapien (http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=22669&highlight=%22radiosity_save%22+sapien)

This is (for the most part) the exact problem I'm having. I know the textures are there, I know they're set up properly... I let sapien sit for about thirty minutes, and it didn't do anything. Tool is starting at 0.000000 and just sits there... I don't understand what I could be doing wrong.

When it says done, lightmaps is finished. Your level should be lit.
...How many times have I said it's not?

When it comes to it just being Sapien "saving", it's taking thirty minutes to "save" and the task manager is saying sapien is no longer responding.

I already posted what happened when I ran it through tool.

I do have a sky; as for the shaders being blank/missing, what do you mean by that? I have the shaders created, but none of them are referencing bitmaps. One of them is emmiting light; the other is just a blank shader set up by tool as I don't have any textures created yet. If this is my problem, how would I go about fixing it?

kenney001
September 3rd, 2007, 09:35 PM
that shouldn't be your problem. Could you render your scene in max or (printscreen in gmax) to show us what your level looks like?

Ingulit
September 5th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Ha, finally got it work in Sapien by deleting the .jms file and the corresponding tags and re-compiling. Now, all I have to do is keep the players from falling through the floor, and I'm golden `-.-