PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

Tarzan
September 5th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I'm trying to light a hallway that's almost completely under my BSP. It's pretty dark at the moment, and actually a little foggy. I'm wondering what the best way to go about this is. I suppose I could apply a different texture/shader to the walls in there, but I was kind of hoping for some point-lighting to give the effect of basically little footlights in the hall. For those of you with my xfire, there are some pics of the private beta, god-awful, hideously un-textured and smoothed BSP on my profile... But you can see the hallway (and the geometry problem with it (oops) in the pics.

On a side note, as you can see if you look at the pics, the map didn't turn out too well when I ran lightmaps. Granted, I used 0.9, but it still has a lot of nasty pixilation and shadowing, probably because the sky is a trapezoid or something. Maybe because it looks like Hang Em High. Anyway... I'm planning to use a fair amount of dynamic lighting in scenery light structures, kind of like what Bungie did when they made Tombstone for H2X...

Anyway... suggestions?

fatso784
September 5th, 2007, 01:47 PM
It's called invisible scenery. Take the white dynamic light scenery tag in your scenery folder, open white dynamic light's attached .light tag, uncheck dynamic and change the intensity and radiosity color. Then just place it in your map and rerun lightmaps.

Tarzan
September 6th, 2007, 05:41 PM
the idea seems to work... I need to mess with the sun position too anyway... But the hallway is much better now, thanks!