PDA

View Full Version : Falling through the floor

Ingulit
September 10th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Still talking about the prison level I've been working on, I've got it in-game with lightmaps (finally), but while I'm playing it I fall through the second and third floors. I didn't get any errors while importing or while running lightmaps, so I've got no idea what the problem might be. I'd prefer not to post pictures of the level until I get it close to finished, due to the fact that most people would recognize where it is from right away (and would therefore know what mod I'm working on right now). Has this happened to anyone else in the past who might know what is going on?

Edit: NOW WIH PICS :eek:
Edit2: AND VIDEOS :O

Inferno
September 10th, 2007, 05:55 PM
maybe some faces faceing the wrong way? i had a level compiled inside out once cause i usually model in "force 2-sided mode"

Ingulit
September 10th, 2007, 06:00 PM
maybe some faces faceing the wrong way? i had a level compiled inside out once cause i usually model in "force 2-sided mode"
I lol'd

ROFL, sorry, no, that's not my problem. Um, you *might* want to work on your model a bit more if that's the only way you've gotten it in-game so far. Just maybe. It could help you if you're falling through the map as well :P

Now, while I'd prefer not to post pictures, I most certainly will if nobody knows what might be going on without them, but I'd like to know what this could be first.

Inferno
September 10th, 2007, 06:07 PM
lol its not like it was hard to fix i just selected all the faces and hit "Flip"

i know someone else who had this problem.. but i dont remember who unfortuenately....
my suggestion is to go ahead and find all the faces you are faling through and delete them then go ahead and remodel them.

also do you have any "special" materials in the map. things like breakable glass ladders and render geometry can fuck things up if your not carefull.

picks would help a little i guess but i know how people like to keep there maps all secrety before realease.

Ingulit
September 10th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Well, I tried the whole remodeling thing, twice... It didn't help. I'm not sure what it is about my model design, but Halo doesn't like it.

Meh, pics.

ZOMG PICS: (http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jailhousefallingthroughsf9.png)http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/7194/jailhousefallingthroughsf9.th.png

STL Check, Tool, and Radiosity all return no errors. Why does the MC fall through? :(

Con
September 10th, 2007, 09:17 PM
That's hella strange...

Inferno
September 10th, 2007, 09:21 PM
ok.... did you or did you not use ANY special materials.

also best way tofix. make a box were the magic fall through is. make it +sky and link it toframe. (its ok if it intersects other polys just make sure it dosent OVERLAP other polys.) that should hold until you figure out whats causeing the problem.

Ingulit
September 10th, 2007, 10:34 PM
I've already put placeholder player clipping over the problematic areas as a temp fix, but I don't want a temp fix is the thing. I'm not a total mapmaking nub, you know :P

And no, in the build that the error appears in, I have no custom shader symbols.

Z0MG VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdBI_GmH2ws

Ignore the smoothing errors; I don't have any smoothing groups on the faces. This is just a test version of the map, and there's going to be lots of edits by the time it's done. Also, the clicking noises are from my custom gun (it's the marble gun, the one I was talking about in my questions thread). Right now the projectiles bounce almost infinitely :X

kenney001
September 10th, 2007, 11:04 PM
This happens to me when one pice of an object sticks through a face, such as taking a box, and sticking it through the ground. tool accepts it, but it will cause the player to "fall" through the floor. Make sure everything is sealed correctly and you dont have anything sticking through anything else.

Ingulit
September 11th, 2007, 06:49 AM
That's impossible; my model is a single mesh, and I've checked just about every face for possible passing-through-ness that I know about. Also, this happened after two remodels... I'd've caught a face-sticking-through-another-face error by now, I think. This is fucked up :|

EDIT: Oh, and fix your siggy kenney. It broke.

Inferno
September 11th, 2007, 03:20 PM
umm... one thing it could be is just a bad place in the bsp. try scaleing the whole bsp up 2x and export it again and see if the hole is still there

Tweek
September 11th, 2007, 04:46 PM
just put a box with playerclip over it, maybe inside the ground there as well for good measure. just a slab of playerclip fixed my fall trough floor bits just fine, and doesn't show either.

Inferno
September 11th, 2007, 06:19 PM
dude tweek,
2nd time in 2 threads youve stated something that has already been said. maybe you should try reading the posts that have already been made to see if something has already been sugested. :D

Ingulit
September 11th, 2007, 07:42 PM
dude tweek,
2nd time in 2 threads youve stated something that has already been said. maybe you should try reading the posts that have already been made to see if something has already been sugested. :D
Shit, he's actually... Right. Wow.

Though, the fact that multiple people suggested it has made me consider it; I still, however, would like to know why this is happening. :S

Inferno
September 11th, 2007, 08:25 PM
who knows? seriously halo does some weird shit. once i had a some transparent textures on the floor of the map and any other polygon that touched the glass texture had no bullet collision and stuff when straight through em. :XD:

so just fix it the best you can and hope it works i guess.

Jay2645
September 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Lol, I had the same thing happen to me with transparent textures.
Halo just does some crazy shit every once and a while.