PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Blowmine

Chizzle110
September 16th, 2007, 04:14 PM
hey this is my first halo ce map i made. Its playable but it has major errors.

The ground is white for some reason If anyone can help me out help me plz.

Some weapons don't show up.

There are hardly weapons on the field. (i need some scenery)
pic

http://http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/haloelite11215/MYMAP.jpg

teh lag
September 16th, 2007, 04:20 PM
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/haloelite11215/MYMAP.jpg

FTFY.

Now, onto buisness.

...WHY IS THERE A PELICAN THERE.

There is no reason at all for one to be there. AT. ALL. Also, the map needs less extruded plane. Generally people don't (or at least shouldn't) show or release their first maps without good reason - you need SERIOUS practice before people will want to play your stuff. I see zero gameplay value in that map right there.

A few pointers...

1. Design. Please have at least some gameplay desing ideas, noone likes a box.

2. Variance. Good maps have variances in terrain, things to keep the eyes busy.

3. Most important of all, learn how to model. This doesn't count as modeling. Even the hek tutorial turns out a nicer looking map. I don't want to seem mean, but unless you can learn how to turn out a decent model you won't go anywhere.

Chizzle110
September 16th, 2007, 04:23 PM
yea um... hw do i fix that white plane error its suppose to be grass. A little help? I' m not releasing it yet untill i finsh it perfectly.

teh lag
September 16th, 2007, 04:25 PM
yea um... hw do i fix that white plane error its suppose to be grass. A littl help?

You must assign bitmaps to the shader your grass part is using.

Chizzle110
September 16th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Should i edit the shader enviornment?

teh lag
September 16th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Should i edit the shader enviornment?

Yes. I thought that was what you would automatically assume based on common sense.

Tweek
September 16th, 2007, 04:30 PM
oh... my... god.....

wow.
i'm loving that window's style you're using.

FRain
September 16th, 2007, 04:32 PM
:gonk: DO NOT WANT

On a more serious note, that is TERRIBLE. It's a tesselated to hell plane with extruded edges and a border cap!

It isnt good in any way. Please go learn to model. I can do that in about 30-45 seconds, depending.

Go learn to model.

Or, if you don't know how to model, stay away from modeling and do other things (like me).

Chizzle110
September 16th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I need help i asigned them but still white.:(:(

ICEE
September 16th, 2007, 04:47 PM
ok i cant actually see the pics because photobucket and I have a feud. but, i can at least say this.

change the name from blow mine to something less inuendo-y

Chizzle110
September 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I'm really sad.......:(:(:embarrassed: :fail:

How do i smooth things out?

Mass
September 16th, 2007, 04:57 PM
ok hmm.
You obviously have no skill whatsoever at this point, I think we (I) might be able to help you if you are willing to devote your self.

Oh and btw that map isn't worth saving and definately not releasing.

Chizzle110
September 16th, 2007, 05:07 PM
i will devote myself but the thing is that every one his yelling me. I mean seriously give me some slack. (this is worst this is worst then wat happended in halomods.com......):embarrassed::embarrassed::(:(: mad::mad:

EDIT: also i do have skill. If i have no skill i could make this then.

ICEE
September 16th, 2007, 05:11 PM
dont take criticism as an offense, take it as an error report. fix the errors, and the error report slowly goes away...

LlamaMaster
September 16th, 2007, 05:11 PM
i will devote myself but the thing is that every one his yelling me. I mean seriously give me some slack. (this is worst this is worst then wat happended in halomods.com......):embarrassed::embarrassed::(:(: mad::mad:

EDIT: also i do have skill. If i have no skill i could make this then.
What? Also, horrible map. Worse then the first model I've ever gotten ingame. :( Please don't post another map until you figure out how to make correct cliffs. (at least for an outdoor map)

fatso784
September 16th, 2007, 05:15 PM
You aren't going to get much help here; this is what tutorials are for. There are numerous tutorials on Halomaps.org (http://www.halomaps.org) and on HaloGuru's site (http://www.halocehelp.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=index&c=7&PHPSESSID=ab1d00077e9d0d59475f409ac4e59363). Check those sites out, do some mapping tutorials and then come back to h2vista when you're ready.

Otherwise you're just gonna get flamed.

FRain
September 16th, 2007, 05:18 PM
You aren't going to get much help here; this is what tutorials are for. There are numerous tutorials on Halomaps.org (http://www.halomaps.org) and on HaloGuru's site (http://www.halocehelp.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=index&c=7&PHPSESSID=ab1d00077e9d0d59475f409ac4e59363). Check those sites out, do some mapping tutorials and then come back to h2vista when you're ready.

Otherwise you're just gonna get flamed.

Yes, yes, no.

We aren't flaming him, we are giving help and crit.

Choking Victim
September 16th, 2007, 05:28 PM
eww try modeling tut's, or look at theghosts tutorial resource.

Chizzle110
September 16th, 2007, 05:38 PM
:(:(well i wiil try the links. but still it feels like everyone is jumping me. But thx... :embarrassed::embarrassed:

Tweek
September 16th, 2007, 05:46 PM
dude

there's a tutorial that came with the HEK
it's VERY in-depth, and teaches you everything you need to know about mapping basically
it even has pitc with EVERY STEP.

make that tutorial.map, and you'll have learned LOADS.

Mass
September 16th, 2007, 05:46 PM
That does tend to happen when you go public with stuff.
Also, you can make a map. That doesn't equal skill.

Con
September 16th, 2007, 06:57 PM
dude

there's a tutorial that came with the HEK
it's VERY in-depth, and teaches you everything you need to know about mapping basically
it even has pitc with EVERY STEP.

make that tutorial.map, and you'll have learned LOADS.
yes, I tell kids this all the time and they never listen. They're just fucking lazy. They look at it and god OH MY GOD TOO LONG TO NOT WANT. Guess what, it takes a long time to make maps so get reading chizzle.

FRain
September 16th, 2007, 07:09 PM
yes, I tell kids this all the time and they never listen. They're just fucking lazy. They look at it and god OH MY GOD TOO LONG DO NOT WANT. Guess what, it takes a long time to make maps so get reading chizzle.

FTFY

It takes seriously long time to make maps. Even longer time to make mods. H3T has been at it for about 3 months now and hasn't gotten very far. See what I mean? You need to have patience.

Chizzle110
September 21st, 2007, 10:45 PM
Update i just fixed the ground texture. Maybe u might wanna take a look:p:p

I also added a warthog and banshee.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/haloelite11215/update.jpg

Elite Killa
September 21st, 2007, 10:49 PM
You have GOT to get rid of the pelican and the banshee (especially pelican). That map isn't for aerial assaults. AT. ALL.

Also, ground looks beautiful ugly.

Chizzle110
September 21st, 2007, 10:54 PM
The Pelican doesn't fly. Its a crashed pelican. The groun texture i don't know how that happenned.

Elite Killa
September 21st, 2007, 10:56 PM
What modeling program are you using? (like 3ds Max or Gmax)

Con
September 21st, 2007, 11:15 PM
There's nothing good I can say about the map. This is fine for personal learning up to a point. Do not release this map. Once you have learned from it, work on something a bit more challenging and put in more effort.

Here's what I suggest you do to learn:

Change the level geometry; it's a big flat square with boring cliffs. 'Nuff said.
Think about gameplay. So what if you don't release this map? Creating a map that plays well is a good habit to get into. Check out my Gameplay Guide (http://www.h2ek.com/wiki/index.php?title=Map_Creation_Gameplay_Guide) on the H2V Wiki.
Add some structures. Flat ground doesn't cut it.
Work on your UV's. They're very irregular looking. Make sure to flatten your stack when you want to "save" your UV's of one section before starting another. You can flatten the stack quickly by converting to editable mesh again.
Use one large bitmap for your ground which defines colours of paths etc, then use the alpha channel to give it detail maps. This is explained further in the HEK tutorial.

Chizzle110
September 21st, 2007, 11:16 PM
:confused2:Im using 3ds max 7. Heres a porblem i just had resently. Custom Weapons that i used in my map they have no ammo.(they aren't mine, i don't know who made them yet)(Also how do i ive creidt to someone?)

Con
September 21st, 2007, 11:22 PM
Giving credit to someone is easy; you need the creator's permission to use the weapons first, then you need to say who made them in your readme.txt and wherever else you release the map.

However at this stage in your "mapping career," don't be concerned with custom weapons. Make your maps better by learning to make them better, not by putting in other people's work.

Chizzle110
September 21st, 2007, 11:27 PM
ok i'll remove the custom weapons but how do i make the floor flat again?

Con
September 21st, 2007, 11:33 PM
Make the floor flat? What do you mean.

Chizzle110
September 21st, 2007, 11:41 PM
Nvm, anyway i just added a mini cave to my map. It was easy. I remembered this from making a Halo 2 Vista map that sucked.:D

DaaxGhost
September 21st, 2007, 11:44 PM
Are you plane modelling, or are you using box modelling.,?

Chizzle110
September 21st, 2007, 11:45 PM
kind of both the cave is not finshed yet.

DaaxGhost
September 21st, 2007, 11:47 PM
Woah woah woah, what are you using to make the cave?

Con
September 21st, 2007, 11:50 PM
He said plane and box modeling. Whatever floats his boat, as long as he can row it to the finish line.

DaaxGhost
September 21st, 2007, 11:52 PM
I like that. uhh metaphor. whatever the hell it is. lol

Con
September 21st, 2007, 11:55 PM
A metaphor is a comparison without using "like" or "as." :eng101:

DaaxGhost
September 21st, 2007, 11:58 PM
you lost me at, comparison. lol.

Con
September 21st, 2007, 11:59 PM

:smith:

DaaxGhost
September 22nd, 2007, 12:01 AM
Yes, surprising of course. Anyway.

You need to RE-MODEL! your level. it looks, no wait. it is just a box with some extruded polies, and a few verts moved up.

Con
September 22nd, 2007, 12:05 AM
What extrusions? He didn't even do that it looks like, just selected polys making up the edge of the level and just moved them up vertically and did some half-assed vertex moving to try to get a bit of variation.

DaaxGhost
September 22nd, 2007, 12:07 AM
oh, well from my POV, it looked like he extruded and moved verts (slightly) to make it look more rocky, but it looks............

Con
September 22nd, 2007, 12:07 AM
poor?

+1

DaaxGhost
September 22nd, 2007, 12:10 AM
-defined-

Yea I recommend watching tutorials and smoothing some stuff. I'm not the greatest terrain designer on the planet. but I do know that, some of that looks really boxy....JUST OVER ALL REMODEL..

short not sweet but to the point