PDA

View Full Version : Codename: Sierra 2645

Jay2645
September 22nd, 2007, 01:07 AM
Well, I decided (Once again) to begin working on a map. This one will be plane modeled, but before I spend days working on it only for it to be changed dramatically, I'll post a concept picture and see what people think of the layout.

Map Specifics:
There are 3 Warthogs total (2 Blue, 1 Red).
Red Base has 2 turrets for defense, Blue base gets an extra hog in exchange.
The map is jungle themed (Hence the Codename).
The map is about the size of Blood Gulch if it was folded to match the map (Same size in terms of ground area, different shape).

Nothing else is set in stone, so I CAN change them.
Concept (9/22/07):
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa115/Jay2645/sierra2645concept.jpg
(Paint lol)
Yeah, I have Photoshop, I'm just too lazy to use it when a quick job in Paint works, since this IS just a concept, which I may change.

Anyway, any suggestions, ideas, ect.?

Inferno
September 22nd, 2007, 01:19 AM
Scale?

ie:is it hugeass or wizard?

Jay2645
September 22nd, 2007, 01:21 AM
In terms of how long it should take you to get to each base, I would say about Blood Gulch.
So take BG, fold it so it looks like the concept, and that's about the length of it.
I am never stupid enough to make something as huge as Hugeass, but I see how you could make the mistake.

Inferno
September 22nd, 2007, 01:26 AM
and to that i say "thank god" :D
i cant say much from the drawing except that ill be waiting to see this jungle.

btw make sure you have foliage for spartans to hide in and ambush people from.

Jay2645
September 22nd, 2007, 01:34 AM
It's a jungle, what do you expect? :p

Inferno
September 22nd, 2007, 01:41 AM
i expect a knife that you can use to jump out and stab people in the back! :XD: LIKE FARCRY!

fatso784
September 22nd, 2007, 09:05 AM
Jay, please post your work when it's almost done. Don't post crappy Paint concepts. I like the idea, but I'd really like it if you took the time to make some of it and surprised us with some awesome pics.

Skyline
September 22nd, 2007, 09:13 AM
Forerunner Thingy :awesome:.

Mass
September 22nd, 2007, 09:18 AM
Jay, please post your work when it's almost done.

^

Also, if he gets some awesome pics I will be extremely suprised.

Jay2645
September 22nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
You see, if I did post some pics of it when it is almost done, and someone doesn't like something I layed out in the concept, then I would have to go back, delete about half my model, and redo it.
This way, people can tell me easier what to do and what not to do, like "That base needs to be bigger" and whatnot.

Inferno
September 22nd, 2007, 10:50 AM
well in that case.. wtf is the foruner thingy for. were is it gonna go? make sure there is a reason to gointo that building or else its gonna be uselesss.

Patrickssj6
September 22nd, 2007, 10:51 AM
Jungle? Great. Tell me when your map looks like this:
http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/ve3d/image/article/745/745255/new-crysis-dx10-screenshot-20061110001316019.jpg

Just kidding..I guess it's a good concept. :)

Con
September 22nd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Gameplay looks horrible already. Needs to be a tunnel between the forerunner structure and red base, and make the paths less confined. Also, check out my gameplay guide:

http://www.h2ek.com/wiki/index.php?title=Map_Creation_Gameplay_Guide

Skyline
September 22nd, 2007, 10:59 AM
You should make it alot smaller, you are going to have a hard time thinking of stuff for the map; Forerunner thingy :awesome:. Just a bunch of empty space.

SGWraith
September 22nd, 2007, 11:17 AM
You see, if I did post some pics of it when it is almost done, and someone doesn't like something I layed out in the concept, then I would have to go back, delete about half my model, and redo it.
This way, people can tell me easier what to do and what not to do, like "That base needs to be bigger" and whatnot.

Jay, for that we'd have to assume that your paint concept is to scale with what you're going to model later. Lots of maps get changed halfway through, etc, and there isn't much that can be done about it since ideas change and some things don't work.

Jay2645
September 22nd, 2007, 12:08 PM
Gameplay looks horrible already. Needs to be a tunnel between the forerunner structure and red base, and make the paths less confined. Also, check out my gameplay guide:

http://www.h2ek.com/wiki/index.php?title=Map_Creation_Gameplay_Guide
I was looking for something like that. Just comments on the concept and how you think the gameplay would play out.
Anyway, the Forerunner Thingy is pretty much there to keep snipers from spawn camping the Reds.
Though a tunnel there isn't a bad idea, maybe I can make the interior lead underground into a cave that comes out by red base.

Arteen
September 22nd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Red base is too secluded back there. It actually needs to be assaultable. The whole left and lower portions of the map are just long boring paths. Just straight narrow paths from A to B. There's a huge lack of visibilty in the map, meaning the combat will be diluted. Also, is the layout just two-dimensional? Is the ground flat or is there a lot of hills and vertical combat? A flat level isn't that interesting. What purpose does that path in the center serve anyway? It seems rather pointless.

Kiwibird
September 22nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
There are two ways to get to the Blue base, while for the Red base there is only one way. It needs to be more accessible otherwise it will be unbalanced.

Jay2645
September 23rd, 2007, 12:53 AM
Red base is too secluded back there. It actually needs to be assaultable. The whole left and lower portions of the map are just long boring paths. Just straight narrow paths from A to B. There's a huge lack of visibilty in the map, meaning the combat will be diluted. Also, is the layout just two-dimensional? Is the ground flat or is there a lot of hills and vertical combat? A flat level isn't that interesting. What purpose does that path in the center serve anyway? It seems rather pointless.
1. I moved the Red Base up to make things more interesting, don't worry.
2. I'm going to throw in some trees and shrubbery to mix it up a bit, change the layout and strategies you would normally use.
3. I'm trying to NOT make the map spawn camping heaven, but still be able to snipe if you are a pretty good shot.
4. There are plenty of hills and such, mad dashes through areas clear of trees, not to mention a pretty good Warthog part.
5. The caves are unaccessible to Warthogs, so they have to run the vehicle part, the main part of the map. That part CAN be done reasonably fast on foot, however.
I seem to be talking like I have the model finished; I have the skeleton working in Max, it CAN go ingame, since I have the basic map's model finished, but not smoothed or H2V quality yet.

I am also working on a special script that varies the map depending on a number of factors, such as what gametype it is.
For instance, if you play Slayer, the weapons spawn in a different place, the scenery is layed out differently, and it changes the gametype dramatically from, say CTF.
KOTH might have a giant area devoid of trees where the hill is, making the hill very dangerous.
To begin it, you would have to have devmode on and type in the console "wake CTF" or something.

Mass
September 23rd, 2007, 07:30 AM
I'll be nice and see if I have some old "forerunner thingy" to donate.

Tarzan
September 23rd, 2007, 12:13 PM
nobody will use that loop that goes to the left unless there's a huge advantage to be gained by taking the cave into the blue base...

Gamerkd16
September 23rd, 2007, 03:35 PM
nobody will use that loop that goes to the left unless there's a huge advantage to be gained by taking the cave into the blue base...
There is, isn't there? If you take the cave, you don't have to take the other loop all the way around.

Well, I don't know. What's white mean?

Tarzan
September 23rd, 2007, 05:23 PM
I assume that the little thin part there is a shortcut through the mountain

Jay2645
September 24th, 2007, 07:32 PM
It's a waterfall, but I added a shortcut through the mountain near each base.

And mounted in a clearing, on a hill, on the curve, is a Rocket Launcher, to give a better reason to head down there.

MNC
September 25th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Looks interesting enough. So if white is a waterfall, does that mean that Blue is at the top of the mountain and red on the bottom, or vice-versa?

LlamaMaster
September 25th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Concept looks pretty dang boring to me. Oh look, canyons caves and rivers, how creative! Forerunner thingy, what an awesome idea! Seriously, it doesn't even look decent on paper. (err, pixels) I see no concept of gameplay, at all. I'll never understand why people post drawings of their work. To me a drawing of a map (well, a 2d one like yours) is only good for one reason, planning it yourself. Sure we can talk to you about gameplay, but I think you can determain that yourself. Models, models, models, people what to see models. Look, anybody can post a 2d concept, but only a few can created a good map from it.

I'm completely open to you proving me wrong though.

Con
September 25th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Sure we can talk to you about gameplay, but I think you can determain that yourself
Not everyone's an expert at that. That's why we're here. That's the beauty of these forums; when you post your work here, you get advice from all the different skilled people of the site that specialize in all these different things. You can't be expected to know everything so early on.

SMASH
September 25th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I think that you need to start modelling it. You can debate a drawing all day but a model is easier to determine it's true worth.

Sever
September 25th, 2007, 09:00 PM
NEVER post (Flat) 2d images of what you deem to be a good map. All good maps have some height variations to the playable area. One cannot even post a good representation of Blood Gulch without altitude increments, or even notations (such as 'Hill' or 'valley'). Work on the height before you even work on the boundaries.

Con
September 25th, 2007, 10:07 PM
NEVER post (Flat) 2d images of what you deem to be a good map. All good maps have some height variations to the playable area. One cannot even post a good representation of Blood Gulch without altitude increments, or even notations (such as 'Hill' or 'valley'). Work on the height before you even work on the boundaries.
I disagree. With a little shading or some other indication of height like a lighter colour it's quite easy to comprehend height in a 2d image. Then again, not everyone can picture that sort of thing in their head. I don't have any problem seeing it. I think you dislike 2d plans because most people don't provide enough information with them. Once sufficient information is given in regards to height, I think they're a great way to plan out maps. I always sketch maps things out on paper first. I don't shade to indicate height, but I can picture how it looks in my head. Unfortunately, most people forgot to convey these thoughts onto their 2d plans when they submit them for review here on the forums.

Getting advice on the layout early on is a great way to save time since you don't have to remodel entire sections of the map when someone says it might not play well. Measure twice, cut once.

Jay2645
September 26th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Looks interesting enough. So if white is a waterfall, does that mean that Blue is at the top of the mountain and red on the bottom, or vice-versa?
Blue up top, red at the bottom.

And I have begun plane modeling this thing. I got the structure of the map finished, now I am about to add in the hills, valleys, and dips in the map, starting with those, and finishing with the smallest details, like creases where 2 stones in the step pyramid meet, or variation on the ground on the cliffs. Then I have to smooth, then texture. At the moment, tool will allow me to stick it ingame.

Also, names would be nice.