PDA

View Full Version : Transformable vehicles, possible?

DemonOne
January 10th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Is it possible to make a vehicle that can transform to an alternate form?

I know that vehicles can have animations, and moving objects, but can those be "locked" in a certain way when pressing a key while keeping everything functional?

A little less than a year ago I thought about learning to do some more advanced modeling for something like the above, but the timing was all wrong...

someone
January 10th, 2007, 08:04 AM
That would be cool, but I think it's not possible due to the outdated Halo 1 engine.

Masterz1337
January 10th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Can't be done.

DemonOne
January 10th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I can think of two examples for "similar" functionality:

An example of moving parts that comes to mind is Tiamat's jet from the map "coldsnap", it has retractable landing gears.

An example of triggering part movement with a key is the hog from the map "pimp hogs", which can bounce when pressing the crouch key.

Masterz, may you elaborate on which part is impossible? or is it the integration that won't work?

Stealth
January 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Well I think this topic is a fail, what you're stating in your first post here, is that you want to know if there is a way to make a Vehicle Transform into a Hog or something, to chang it's form, now the Jet in ColdSnap isn't that way, but is in fact just a animation of parts of the Jet, that we can do, but in Halo you got to keep with the Model form, the Landing gear is a part of the model that L33t or some one can Animate to look like they're going down or up.

Limited
January 10th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Its possible, but I doubt it will work how you want it to work and it will be buggy

DemonOne
January 10th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Alright, I get what you're saying, but what about the banshee? it changes shape more drastically than any other vehicle.

Anyhow, how elaborate can vehicle animations be?

Limited
January 10th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Alright, I get what you're saying, but what about the banshee? it changes shape more drastically than any other vehicle.

Anyhow, how elaborate can vehicle animations be?
Vehicle animations are event driven.

They can be as elaborate as you want, like old h2 banshee from cmt or knave, you fired fuel rod thingy and it did a backflip :)

hard part of animations is making them smooth and transtion well, if u dont mind sketchy animations its all good :D

some animations have to be set it keys

DemonOne
January 10th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks Limited.

I guess I'll search for animations and events.

I remember seeing scripts that use a setup of objects to drive an event to open doors which will sync online... maybe some kind of hackery can be done for vehicles or something.

Stealth
January 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I got one thing to ask, why in the world is this topic in CMT's forums? this should be in Halo CE part of the forums, no where else.

DemonOne
January 10th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Thought it would be more interesting...

Anyhow, Stealth, if it truly bothers you, I don't mind moving it.

Limited
January 10th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I got one thing to ask, why in the world is this topic in CMT's forums? this should be in Halo CE part of the forums, no where else.CMT are teh b3st at animations, thats why :)
i have no clue

Stormwing
January 10th, 2007, 07:17 PM
having a model transform is definitely possible through animations, but that's it. You'd have to be in the vehicle controlling what position it is, and it will return to it's original state when you leave the vehicle.

I don't know about collision models though.

PlasbianX
January 10th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Well I think this topic is a fail, what you're stating in your first post here, is that you want to know if there is a way to make a Vehicle Transform into a Hog or something, to chang it's form, now the Jet in ColdSnap isn't that way, but is in fact just a animation of parts of the Jet, that we can do, but in Halo you got to keep with the Model form, the Landing gear is a part of the model that L33t or some one can Animate to look like they're going down or up.

I think you fail. :gtfo:

It could be possible. Such as having a script that changes your vehicle when ya press ctrl or something. Ill look into it, but im sure theres some way of doing it.

Btd69
January 10th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Seriously Stealth, get off the bandwagon.

itszutak
January 10th, 2007, 08:33 PM
It could be possible, but it would involve having the driver be "hidden" (Through the tag that hides them)...

TeeKup
January 10th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Stealth you're becoming a major irritant. He's new and you're not helping the least little bit. Shut up.

transformation through animation is possible. Problem being is the collision model. Collision cant be animated so if your smaller when you're transformed a collision point 3 ft to your side is still there. So running into things will be odd. It can be done, but not perfectly and properly. Perferable in a Zero G map, but like I said, the collision would be a severe issue.

X3RO SHIF7
January 11th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I think you fail. :gtfo:

Agree'd how old is that kid?

and yeah ontopic, it would be really buggy with ce's netcode - you could make it look like its transforming but it would be pure'ly visual, it wouldent function as if it were transformed

DemonOne
January 11th, 2007, 02:55 AM
I don't suppose it's possible to have it animate the transformation and then exchange the entire vehicle with a new one.

Sounds like it might work with memory hacking (?)

Limited
January 11th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Sounds like it might work with memory hacking (?)
Yes but it would be buggy as hell and would give you exceptions alot i bet :P