PDA

View Full Version : [HL2] I can't get Half-Life 2 to launch.

Pooky
October 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM
So I just reinstalled Half_life 2 off my CD, and everytime I click Launch... nothing happens. I see it appear on my taskbar, then it just goes away. Anyone else had this problem?

Stealth
October 1st, 2007, 07:51 PM
do you have steam running?

Agamemnon
October 1st, 2007, 09:40 PM
Stealth, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't speak. Half-Life 2 REQUIRES you to play Steam. If he's talking about launching the game, then he's talking about launching it off of the ONLY THING YOU CAN, which is Steam.

Is it fully updated? Have you restarted Steam? Did you troubleshoot the problem with the Steam troubleshoot function? You can also ask on the Steam forums.

Pooky
October 1st, 2007, 10:30 PM
I did everything there except asking on the Steam forums... I went there before and it was a rabid downs-fest. I was hoping someone here would have the answer so I wouldn't have to resort to that, but it might be the only option. :saddowns:

Stealth
October 1st, 2007, 11:37 PM
Stealth, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't speak.
Agamemnon, if you don't know what I'm thinking, or was thinking, don't say anything rude. looks like I missed a word, I geuss my computer froze when I was trying to type "running", I've been busy trying to back up files on my computer, so my computer has been slow lately when I'm backing up files.
Fried, try reinstalling Steam, and if that doesn't help, try running Half Life 2 again, this time with Task Manager running in the back ground, see what's going on with it.

Cortexian
October 2nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Agamemnon, if you don't know what I'm thinking, or was thinking, don't say anything rude. looks like I missed a word, I geuss my computer froze when I was trying to type "running", I've been busy trying to back up files on my computer, so my computer has been slow lately when I'm backing up files.
Fried, try reinstalling Steam, and if that doesn't help, try running Half Life 2 again, this time with Task Manager running in the back ground, see what's going on with it.
"steam running" and "steam" are pretty much going to give the same impression Stealth. If it's not running, he could of launched it, if he didn't have Steam, he would be launching it. So really, what you posted made do sense.

Are you running it on Vista Fried?

Pooky
October 2nd, 2007, 03:32 PM
Nope, XP SP2, and I've been able to run it just fine in the past. I just installed off my CD, let it update, and now it won't work

Agamemnon
October 3rd, 2007, 10:08 AM
No one has answered you on the Steam forums? And there's always the other alternatives of Steam cracks as well.

Pooky
October 3rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Well I don't really feel like playing it anymore, this is too much work.

Ki11a_FTW
October 3rd, 2007, 09:41 PM
This same thing happened to me with CSS, i just uninstalled it, then installed it again like 6 months later, heh

343guiltymc
October 4th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Steam is such a pain in the ass.

DrunkenSamus
October 4th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Steam is such a pain in the ass.

Truer words have never been spoken. Only good thing about it is it automatically updates your games when you restart so you don't have to worry about patches. And its mod friendly.

343guiltymc
October 7th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Patches? I'm having problems downloading updates for steam!

Pooky
October 7th, 2007, 01:19 PM
oops, shoulda locked this.

Still doesn't work after 3 reinstalls and even one through steam, I dont give a shit anymore