PDA

View Full Version : [HALO 3] halo 3 ending Q's and spoilers

ICEE
October 1st, 2007, 09:01 PM
everyone whose anyone has beaten halo 3 by now, but if you haven't and don't want spoilers, don't continue reading.

I'm not very clear on the ending of halo 3, even though i have personally beaten the game. so, before the questions, lets review shall we?

in the end, chief, arbiter and johnson go to the newly reconstructed halo 04(the one you blow up in halo 1), to activate it and cleanse the universe of the flood. the monitor turns on you, kills johnson (with the sentinel beam he magically has. wtf why didn't he help me out in the library on h1? bastard) and tries to keep you from activating the ring. you kill him, and chief and arbiter have a climactic escape, get back to the dawn and return home.

and now for my wtfs.

when lord hood says "hard to believe hes dead", is he talking about the chief, or johnson? either way, it shouldnt be to hard to believe that either one of them would die after all the shit they been through.

if it is the chief lord hood is talking about, and he is apparently dead, how? I don't fuckin know. he seemed pretty much fine last time i saw him.

in the after-credits clip, the dawn is like, destroyed and shit, but the chief has survived, leaving me to believe he never made it home. if the dawn never returned to earth, how did the arbiter get there i wonder? even if half of the ship hadnt been destroyed, then im sure it wouldnt be able to fly! and if the other half WAS destroyed then what the fuck is the chief stranded in?

other than all this, i understand that the chief is still alive, and frozen in a tube in space that is in NO WAY stably attatched to the ship, and could very possibly just drift out the gaping hole, that he SOMEHOW didnt get sucked out into when the vacuum opened.

BobtheGreatII
October 1st, 2007, 09:09 PM
You didn't see the legendary ending did you?

Warsaw
October 1st, 2007, 09:12 PM
Lord Hood thinks the Chief is dead because he didn't come back with the Arbiter. Play the last level on Legendary and you will understand.

ICEE
October 1st, 2007, 09:21 PM
I retract this comment

Warsaw
October 1st, 2007, 09:25 PM
The section of the Don that the Chief and Cortana are in gets separated from the rest of the ship as the portal collapses, cutting it off. The Chief and Cortana are stranded around the area of the Ark. Cortana drops a beacon, mentions it will take a long time for them to be found (several hundred years, I imagine), and the Chief climbs into a cryo pod saying "Wake me, if you need me."

ICEE
October 1st, 2007, 09:27 PM
ah... thats not the legendary ending. i saw that and i've only beaten it on normal. still, i don't understand how half of the ship could have maintained its structural integrity, and its propulsion systems to make it all the way to earth. i don't know, maybe i'm expecting to much from a video game.

Warsaw
October 1st, 2007, 09:29 PM
The other half got through the portal. It collapsed midship. Also, I played on normal, and it didn't show what I just described above. It went from Cortana saying "Nothing is certain." after the Chief says "We'll make it." to the memorial on Earth.

ICEE
October 1st, 2007, 09:33 PM
strange. maybe im just special:hyper::lol::lol::lol::hyper:

anyways, i think bungie found a good way to end halo 3. the masterchief doesnt descend into old age or some shit. no one wants to see that happen to the hero, but they found a good way to avoid killing him off. the arbiter's ending is also fitting, because he lives on as kind of a beacon of peace between mankind and the elites. as for johnson, well hes a black guy. the black guy always dies. kind of expected. why does the black guy always die? and miranda, they could have avoided killing her off, but oh well. not a very cool character anyways.

Amit
October 1st, 2007, 09:52 PM
strange. maybe im just special:hyper::lol::lol::lol::hyper:

anyways, i think bungie found a good way to end halo 3. the masterchief doesnt descend into old age or some shit. no one wants to see that happen to the hero, but they found a good way to avoid killing him off. the arbiter's ending is also fitting, because he lives on as kind of a beacon of peace between mankind and the elites. as for johnson, well hes a black guy. the black guy always dies. kind of expected. why does the black guy always die? and miranda, they could have avoided killing her off, but oh well. not a very cool character anyways.

Now it wouldn't be a dramatic game without killing the Commander of the ship. I think she looks pretty hawt throughout the game with a late adolescent girl's voice. :D

jngrow
October 1st, 2007, 10:20 PM
1.The Ark is outside of the galaxy.
2.Gravemind sent High Charity to the Ark to try to rebuild and take over
3.Halo was ready to fire, but would destroy itself in the process, which is why 343 killd johnson (worst moment of my life)
4.They go through portal, it collapses as they go through, who the hell knows how portals work, so long story short the other half of the dawn is drifting in space.
5.Chief+Cortana are a few lightyears away, so sending a beacon/signal thingy will take a few years.
6.Chief is in cryosleep, not gonna age anytime soon, just gonna sleep till Earth gets the signal and goes to get them.

BobtheGreatII
October 1st, 2007, 10:33 PM
In the legendary ending though, you see a planet, and the half of the ship the MC is in begins to float towards it.

THIS IS SPAAAARTA!!!!! (300th post)

Atty
October 1st, 2007, 11:04 PM
when lord hood says "hard to believe hes dead", is he talking about the chief, or johnson? either way, it shouldnt be to hard to believe that either one of them would die after all the shit they been through.
He's referring to the Chief, at least in my opinion. The Arbiter was with the Chief in the end, more or less, not so much Johnson. The chief was also more or less Earth's savior, Johnson may have played a big role in the Halo story but still, the Chief far out weighs him in the eyes of the characters, which is the point of view we are looking at.

if it is the chief lord hood is talking about, and he is apparently dead, how? I don't fuckin know. he seemed pretty much fine last time i saw him. Because no one on Earth, even the Arbiter, know what happened to the Chief, all they know is that the ship was basically cut in half by the portal which could mean the Chief died in the explosion, they have no idea he is alive.

in the after-credits clip, the dawn is like, destroyed and shit, but the chief has survived, leaving me to believe he never made it home. if the dawn never returned to earth, how did the arbiter get there i wonder? even if half of the ship hadnt been destroyed, then im sure it wouldnt be able to fly! and if the other half WAS destroyed then what the fuck is the chief stranded in?You don't need to be led to believe anything, we know for a fact the Chief never made it home. The Arbiter got home easily, the Portal was opened directly over Earth and when he exited it he was either going at a high enough velocity to enter the Atmosphere and have gravity lead him down (into an ocean, if I recall correctly) or he exited straight into the Atmosphere and obviously came down hard, how he lived isn't hard to believe either.

other than all this, i understand that the chief is still alive, and frozen in a tube in space that is in NO WAY stably attatched to the ship, and could very possibly just drift out the gaping hole, that he SOMEHOW didnt get sucked out into when the vacuum opened.He was already in open space. When they took off you saw everything fly out of the cargo bay, that was the vacuum, he was at equal pressure (or lack thereof) with Space when he flew through the portal, because he was just sitting securely in the Cargo bay. When the ship split in half, it split in half forward of his position in the Cargo bay and theoretically could have no effect on him, although I'm sure he got knocked around a bit.

The stasis tube is secured to the ship, its built into it. He's very secure there, he won't drift out of the ship unless the door to it is released and he is able to float free of the device.

I hope now you aren't confused on any of the details of Halo 3's ending.

ICEE
October 1st, 2007, 11:48 PM
thanks i supposed that helps.

Stealth
October 1st, 2007, 11:49 PM
The stasis tube is secured to the ship, its built into it.
yea, I'm kind of "Confused" here atty, but not of Halo 3's ending, I kind of know what's going on there, but of the last little bit in your post "The stasis tube is secured to the ship, its built into it." if I remember right, in the Halo book "First strik" (I think) there was some text saying something about the stasis pod being ejected into space before the P.o.A. was attaced, or something like that, so I think the stasis tubs/pods might just be secured to the ship, not built into it. But the end of Halo 3 did leave me wondering what might happen on earth when the MC is found alive.

Jay2645
October 2nd, 2007, 12:00 AM
We can all assume he didn't come back, as a memorial, like the one in the "Believe" ad, is only made for a dead person.
So MC doesn't show up for 50+ years.

Masterz1337
October 2nd, 2007, 12:10 AM
Whats a "strick" Stealth?

The believe adds have nothing to do with the game. They had no knowlege of the ending when making it.

Stealth
October 2nd, 2007, 12:15 AM
Um, spelling error, give me a sec, and I'll fix it.

Jay2645
October 2nd, 2007, 11:09 AM
Yes, I know they had nothing to do with the game, it was just a thought.

Stealth
October 2nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
Jay has a point, the galaxy is big, and I don't think bungie has released a map showing where Earth, reach, and the Halo rings are, no way to see how long it takes for a ship to get from point "A" to point "B". So for all we could know it may take 100 years before they find the MC.

t3h m00kz
October 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
ah... thats not the legendary ending. i saw that and i've only beaten it on normal. still, i don't understand how half of the ship could have maintained its structural integrity, and its propulsion systems to make it all the way to earth. i don't know, maybe i'm expecting to much from a video game.

They got there using the teleport between the Ark and Earth. Half of the ship came back through that big black thing.

beele
October 2nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
I haven't played the game. And there's still one thing I don't get.
Why do they want to activate the ring if they know it will kill them?

Rosco
October 2nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
I haven't played the game. And there's still one thing I don't get.
Why do they want to activate the ring if they know it will kill them?

Earth is protected

The part the arbiter's in lands in an ocean, you know this by the cargo floating around the site.

Terry
October 2nd, 2007, 06:08 PM
So we can assume the chief will rot in space?

Skiiran
October 2nd, 2007, 06:38 PM
He won't rot if he's in Stasis. Isn't that the whole point of having a Stasis pod?

Ki11a_FTW
October 2nd, 2007, 07:02 PM
Earth is protected

By what?

ICEE
October 2nd, 2007, 07:19 PM
another little WTF about the halo 3 ending, there are still brutes running around the galaxy, pissed off, hating elites and humans... PROBABLY wanting some payback...

Ki11a_FTW
October 2nd, 2007, 07:22 PM
correct me if im wrong, but all the brutes that were on earth, went through the ark to the halo thing, then died when halo fired.

Kornman00
October 2nd, 2007, 07:35 PM
Earth is protected

No, the Ark is outside the galaxy (GS gave a rather ridiculously large number to how far they were from the core, in light years).

ICEE
October 2nd, 2007, 08:12 PM
ah... well, even if all the brutes on earth died, then i DOUBT all the brutes in the entire covenant died. there must still be some..

ExAm
October 2nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
The part with the Cheif drifting toward that planet was ominous. Techincally, the "story arc" has ended, as Bungie stated. There could be another chapter coming in the Chief's saga!

ICEE
October 2nd, 2007, 09:24 PM
i hope not. bungie has found a good end for him and they should keep it that way

ExAm
October 2nd, 2007, 11:07 PM
But it's not an end. You can't end up with ANOTHER cliffhanger ending like that without producing something more.

Stealth
October 2nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
you can't "rot" in space, there is nothing in space, you'll be cooked, and frozen, bloated, and blue, but you're body will float around in space forever, it will never rot. If the MC dies, I'm guessing cortana will most likely blow out all of the air in the MC's armor so his body will not rot, so when earth finds them, they can put him in the ground like he died on earth.

SnaFuBAR
October 3rd, 2007, 02:02 AM
That planet they were drifting toward looked very highly developed. Remember that the Forerunners are technology tier 0/1 WORLD BUILDERS. Possibly MC has found the Forerunner planet? I think that's a pretty interesting concept.

Caboos001
October 3rd, 2007, 02:40 AM
Now here are a few little things that confused me. We all know that the firing of a halo does not kill the flood but only kills their food (anything with sufficient biomass to sustain the flood parasite) so that they will starve out of existence. In the ending yes he fires the replacement installation 04 but does it only take effect around the general ara of the arc and not activate any other rings? If it only takes effact around the arc, what happens at the old instillation 04, we clearly saw in Halo 2 even though it was destroyed there was still a presents of the flood. Then there is the second Halo that is found in Halo 2 (not sure which installation that was) what the hell happens there? There is probably still a strong flood presents there and after all the shit that went down there you can’t tell me that there was no remaining human or covenant ships that the flood could still use to get to earth or any other civilization.

The same thing could be said about the arc, Cortana only said that the firing of the Halo “did a number on the arc.” She never said it was destroyed. If it was not destroyed then there may still many Covenant ships remaining there for the flood to take and use to get to earth or any other civilization. Though they are outside the galaxy they still have use of slip space travel. The flood may be able to find another race be it human, covenant, elite, or some other unfortunate creatures before they are starved out of existence.

Here is the last thing that I’m a bit mixed up on. I’m not entirely sure if anyone can answer this, as no one knows for sure where the chief is now. If he is still in the general area if the arc then how does he survive the firing of the new installation 04? I suppose the collapsing of the portal could have shielded him some how.

Kornman00
October 3rd, 2007, 05:18 AM
Luck. Thats how he survived.

The installation 04 redux and ark were to far away to trigger the other halos (the ark wasn't the one that was triggered remember, so it didn't tell the others to follow suite via superluminal communication. When a ring is fired, the pulse it generates is what triggers the other rings, but again, it is far out on the rim or maybe it was outside the rim, of our galaxy.

I doubt anything could have survived that blast. Theres more than one way to skin a cat, and theres more than one way to say something is FUBAR'd

Also, I would rather have the story continued via anther\more books, not really a game.

Dr Nick
October 3rd, 2007, 05:30 AM
But it's not an end. You can't end up with ANOTHER cliffhanger ending like that without producing something more.Go play Kirby: The Crystal Shards for the N64, and try saying that again.

Caboos001
October 3rd, 2007, 07:58 AM

The installation 04 redux and ark were to far away to trigger the other halos (the ark wasn't the one that was triggered remember, so it didn't tell the others to follow suite via superluminal communication. When a ring is fired, the pulse it generates is what triggers the other rings, but again, it is far out on the rim or maybe it was outside the rim, of our galaxy.

I doubt anything could have survived that blast. Theres more than one way to skin a cat, and theres more than one way to say something is FUBAR'd

Also, I would rather have the story continued via anther\more books, not really a game.

Now this just makes me want to know what happens to the flood back on the remains of installation 04 and the Halo found in H2. I can understand that the remaining flood on 04 may be of very little threat as most all forms of transportation from that installation has been destroyed or left the former ring.

Then there is the second Halo, so much had happened there, the major presents of Covenant and Human activity, the beginning of the Covenant civil war, the war itself, and the infestation of High Charity. I highly doubt that every last infected life form and parasite left that ring for the Ark on High Charity. There must be a somewhat strong presents of the parasite remaining on that ring. We all saw that they have the capability of piloting a Covenant cruiser from that ring to Earth, what’s keeping them from doing it again, I mean there must be a large amount of Covenant ships in that area, be they crippled or abandoned due to problems during the civil war outbreak the flood are more than capable of using them. So are we supposed to just forget about that ring and the threat it poses or is this to be addressed in a future game? Though I’m not to sure as Halo 3 was the last game in the story line, would the flood tie into that keeping it from being included in games to come?
:confused::confused2:

Con
October 3rd, 2007, 10:16 AM
Theres more than one way to skin a cat
:smith: meow?

Patrickssj6
October 3rd, 2007, 10:23 AM
Did someone say meow?

Agamemnon
October 3rd, 2007, 10:38 AM
YIFF IN HELL

Rosco
October 3rd, 2007, 02:55 PM
No, the Ark is outside the galaxy (GS gave a rather ridiculously large number to how far they were from the core, in light years).

:) therefore the earth was protected because it wouldn't have been in the fire of halo.

ExAm
October 4th, 2007, 12:43 AM

Also, I would rather have the story continued via anther\more books, not really a game.I'd rather play it than sit back and watch it.

Dr Nick
October 4th, 2007, 04:32 AM
I'd rather play it than sit back and watch it.You watch books?:confused2:

Kornman00
October 4th, 2007, 05:28 AM
i lol'd

TeeKup
October 4th, 2007, 04:47 PM
That planet they were drifting toward looked very highly developed. Remember that the Forerunners are technology tier 0/1 WORLD BUILDERS. Possibly MC has found the Forerunner planet? I think that's a pretty interesting concept.

Yeah, didn't you notice at the end when the Arbiter and the MC were flying to halo the Shipmaster said:
"were aboard, humans, and elites, will you not come with us bother?"

At that very moment below them was the core of the ark, it was a planet, half of it was being built. It basically looked like cybertron from transformers in the interior. Which has me to believe that earth may be the same because of the Ark portal being so huge.

Flyboy
October 4th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Jay has a point, the galaxy is big, and I don't think bungie has released a map showing where Earth, reach, and the Halo rings are, no way to see how long it takes for a ship to get from point "A" to point "B". So for all we could know it may take 100 years before they find the MC.
Slipspace flight goes faster than light. However, the message cortana sent out is basically a radio wave, meaning it's just going to travel at the speed of light. Seeing as 04 could be ANYWHERE in the galaxy, it could be a matter of fifty years, or even thousands.

ExAm
October 5th, 2007, 05:23 PM
You watch books?:confused2:I wish they'd make games out of them, and do it right.

ICEE
October 7th, 2007, 04:56 PM
i dont think that can be done...

but caboos does bring up a few good points... there has to be a few living flood out there, and the brutes cant ALL be dead. they have a planet somewhere out there where theyre probably very pissed.

Dr Nick
October 7th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Actually, if you get the Legendary package, you'll find out that all the covenant, including the Prophets have their own planet, the most populated being the Hunters planet at almost 2 trillion!

Skiiran
October 7th, 2007, 07:53 PM
To Caboose:

I can almost positively tell you there are no ships the Flood could use. Why?

-The Brute Fleet was smashed.
-Most, if not all, of the ships lost in combat were blown to boiling pieces by energy emitters and magnetically-pinched plasma.
-The Dreadnought was almost assuredly destroyed with the decimation of The Ark due to its proximity to the new Installation 04.
-Pelicans and Phantoms do not have Shaw-Fujikawa Translight Engines.
-As far as we know, only ONE Longsword was lost in the battle for The Ark, and it was smashed to shit.
-High Charity was on The Ark during its decimation (in several pieces, so many in fact that I severely doubt their Slipspace engines still work). Some ships were infected during the battle around High Charity in Halo 2, but, as Ghosts of Onyx shows, the Brutes and Elites united to vaporize the contaminated ships before continuing to kill each other.
-Of the very small number of ships that survived the destruction of the original 04, none of them made contact with The Ring.
-None of the other Halos were touched.
-Lastly, even if Gravemind COULD get a working Slipspace engine, the portal to Earth closed. The Ark is 2^18 Lightyears from Galactic Center, and while Earth is nowhere near Galactic Center, even with a Slipspace Engine (UNSC engines go about 2.1 lightyears a day, and Covie engines are much faster) it would still take a damn long time for them to get anywhere.

I am fairly certain that covers everything.

Caboos001
October 7th, 2007, 08:35 PM
:) TYVM that gives me a few less things to think about. I really need to read the books, just know I would love'em.

ICEE
October 7th, 2007, 11:12 PM
ah that makes sense. and now that ive beaten campaign on legendary, (if you know my gamertag dont call me a liar just cus it doesnt say that, i havent connected to live in a few days), i saw the legendary clip. chief lands on a forerunner planet! ooooh cliffhanger

BobtheGreatII
October 7th, 2007, 11:49 PM
ah that makes sense. and now that ive beaten campaign on legendary, (if you know my gamertag dont call me a liar just cus it doesnt say that, i havent connected to live in a few days), i saw the legendary clip. chief lands on a forerunner planet! ooooh cliffhanger

He doesn't really land on it, he just sorta floats towards it... how do you know it's forerunner?

MithosK
October 7th, 2007, 11:51 PM
-High Charity was on The Ark during its decimation (in several pieces, so many in fact that I severely doubt their Slipspace engines still work). Some ships were infected during the battle around High Charity in Halo 2, but, as Ghosts of Onyx shows, the Brutes and Elites united to vaporize the contaminated ships before continuing to kill each other.

High Charity was destroyed at the end of Cortana...

Jay2645
October 8th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Completely destroyed, as in the exact same thing MC did to the POA.

Wait... If MC detonated the engine's reactors like he did with the POA, why didn't a super-massive OMG explosion happen? Shouldn't an explosion THAT huge be enough to cripple the Ark? Then again, the Ark IS crippled (almost ;D) beyond repair anyway, after the explosion of Installation 04 (Or is it Installation 08?).

Anyway, I'm sure more Longswords were brought down by Covenant Loyalists anyway, we only saw one, but there were many that must have been destroyed. Not to mention Longswords don't have Shaw-Fujikawa Translight Engines anyhow.

ICEE
October 8th, 2007, 04:44 PM
the ark is like, WAY bigger than a halo jay. there was a halo INSIDE the ark, probably could have had more. for that matter, the detonation of the pillar of autumn was really only big enough to break the rings walls, smashing it into four(?) parts. the ark is so much bigger, we'd be lucky if that blast gave it a headache (figurative)

Jay2645
October 8th, 2007, 09:06 PM
It may be a lot bigger then a Halo, however, I doubt that MC could have had time to casually stroll out of High Charity and live after he detonated the fusion reactors.

ICEE
October 8th, 2007, 10:36 PM
who said that he could?

Jay2645
October 8th, 2007, 11:09 PM
who said that he could?
The game, apparently.
Cortana updates your HUD every 5 seconds, you escape High Charity, but there is no way you could get far enough away to save yourself from the enormous BOOM that will follow High Charity's detonation.

ExAm
October 9th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Depends on how long the reactor would take to blow :/

Rosco
October 9th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Or the whole game telling you about luck

ICEE
October 9th, 2007, 07:16 PM
or the fact that you escape on a pelican, not on foot. he did it with a longsword in halo 1, whose going to stop him this time?

Jay2645
October 9th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Gravemind, apparently.

But that's just me bitching about the lack of a Hog against my arch-nemesis, the Flood.

ICEE
October 9th, 2007, 11:02 PM
they were to easy this time... i managed to kill about 10 combat forms with melee when i had NO ammo. in the other halos the flood were near invulnerable to melee... i wonder why they changed that? (not counting that its more realistic)

Jay2645
October 9th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Flood you couldn't kill with melee killed you too much, and there is a lot more Flood action in H3 then there was in H2 or H1.

ExAm
October 10th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Flood you couldn't kill with melee killed you too much, and there is a lot more Flood action in H3 then there was in H2 or H1.Took the words right out from under my fingertips.

Jay2645
October 10th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Took the words right out from under my fingertips.
I should probably give them back...

ExAm
October 10th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Nah, you can have them.

ICEE
October 10th, 2007, 10:50 PM
that is true. there is a lot of flood battles, and with their enhanced strengths (GOD DAMN PURE FORMS) and range (GOD DAMN SPIKER FORMS) and the thickness of their population in the maps (GOD DAMN "CORTANA") it is a lot more intense

ExAm
October 11th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Melee's just not very effective against flood forms not made of rotting flesh.

ICEE
October 11th, 2007, 06:21 PM
yeah, what ARE pure forms made of anyways
?

Flyboy
October 11th, 2007, 07:09 PM
they were to easy this time... i managed to kill about 10 combat forms with melee when i had NO ammo. in the other halos the flood were near invulnerable to melee... i wonder why they changed that? (not counting that its more realistic)
Because now instead of fighting 10 flood at a time, your fighting 30. They need to be easier (that is unless you decide to do legendary).

ExAm
October 12th, 2007, 12:42 AM
yeah, what ARE pure forms made of anyways
?The Flood Super Cell attached onto a base of reformed Calcium. If you've got the Limited Edition, the Bestiarum explains it.

ICEE
October 12th, 2007, 05:48 PM
ah, i should really read that thing. and i have beaten it on legendary, and still the flood is no challenge for MOI. the brutes are pussies in close range as well. the TRUE challengers for halo 3 are the jackals. theyre so deadly with the beam rifle its not even funny.