PDA

View Full Version : Recording CE matches...

Tarzan
October 3rd, 2007, 07:58 PM
Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong when trying to record. My framerate drops to like 20 in game while the recorder is on. I'm using Camtasia. Do I need to set it to record at 800 x 600 or whatever Halo is in? My screen resolution is 1280 x 1024, and last time I recorded something, it showed up windowed. It also recorded the PIP track from my input on the TV tuner card.

I know it's not the power of the computer - that's not a problem. I have dual core 3 ghz with 2 gb memory and a 7200 rpm SATA drive... so there's no problem moving data around anywhere. Grafix is a little olld - Radeon X1300 Pro... but I can run Max, Halo, WMP, Novell, Firefox with 6-ish tabs, Sapien, Tool, and Kornman at the same time without noticing any drop in system performance... so what's going on with Camtasia?? Does the software just suck?

Offspring
October 3rd, 2007, 09:15 PM
yeah... camtasia doesnt work well with games (EG: 8==><==8 (non compatable, really)) and it wount capture the screen right. fraps is your best bet, i said "fuck it" and just bought it, its about 20 bucks i think. camtasia is best when your making video tutorials or just capturing some screenies from applications.

Tarzan
October 3rd, 2007, 09:31 PM
For some reason, Fraps won't work on my PC - it'll install and open, but it won't actually record anything... There's prolly something it doesn't play nice with... I heard about something called gamecam... anyone have experience with that?

Ki11a_FTW
October 3rd, 2007, 09:38 PM
just open fraps, go into your game, then press f9 to start filming, your saved videos will be in your fraps folder (Installed directory, C:/Fraps for default)

Tarzan
October 3rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
I just finished tell you people that it DOESN'T RECORD. It opens, the key is set to F9, I press F9, and it DOESN'T RECORD.

SGWraith
October 5th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I just finished tell you people that it DOESN'T RECORD. It opens, the key is set to F9, I press F9, and it DOESN'T RECORD.

If you have the fps number displayed on screen, when you hit the record button it should change from yellow to red. When it stops recording, it changes back to yellow. If it doesn't, then somethings up.

You may want to also check where it is saving the videos too, there is a tab for that. It gives things generic names like haloceTimeAndDateHere , etc. I find that annoying but its probably changeable.

Tarzan
October 5th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Is there some mystic reason people don't understand that Fraps DOES NOT WORK ON MY PC?!?! Look:

C:\Fraps\Movies>dir
Volume in drive C is *************
Volume Serial Number is ****-****

Directory of C:\Fraps\Movies

04/14/2007 02:44 PM <DIR> .
04/14/2007 02:44 PM <DIR> ..
0 File(s) 0 bytes
2 Dir(s) 79,158,292,480 bytes free

It DOES NOT WORK. I'm asking for alternatives. Not ways to fix something that doesn't play nice with my other software. There's no fps display at all, and as you can see - no movies saved when I press F9. So forget fraps. It's wasted money. What else works?

Syuusuke
October 5th, 2007, 04:50 PM
For Fraps: try changing the hotkey to F8 or F10?

And when you record stuff during a game or something, your framerate usually always drops because it's doing both rendering and recording so that is a bit heavy on your GPU (unless you have the latest GFX cards...especially on Halo).

And recorded Fraps videos don't go IN something called Movies...do they? I thought they just go straight into the Fraps directory.

Inferno
October 5th, 2007, 05:05 PM
an alternative to fraps is zd soft game recorder. it does just about everything fraps does. its just not as good but it works

jeffro11
October 5th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Do you have a function key on your keyboard? If you do you may have to press it then the other F key to start capturing. or... just set it to any other key on your keyboard.

Tarzan
October 5th, 2007, 05:38 PM
an alternative to fraps is zd soft game recorder. it does just about everything fraps does. its just not as good but it works

Finally - someone who understands.... +rep. I'll check it out.

It's nothing wrong with my GPU - I run halo full graphics at like 70 FPS...

Inferno
October 5th, 2007, 07:47 PM
lol, dr. phil was right all you have to do is listen :lol:
you said you +reped me but you didnt.
also i thought you should know zd soft is kinda weird. it records really well but it drops your frame rate to crap when you do record.

Tarzan
October 5th, 2007, 08:19 PM
oops... done. Hmm... idk about it if it drops my framerate tho... we'll see.

Syuusuke
October 5th, 2007, 10:16 PM
It also depends on what framerate you use to record.

And not everyone that replied knows a program that can record like Fraps, especially with people that have no problems with it.

Xetsuei
October 6th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Finally - someone who understands.... +rep. I'll check it out.

It's nothing wrong with my GPU - I run halo full graphics at like 70 FPS...

Negative, your GPU is fucking terrible. Get a new one.

Syuusuke
October 6th, 2007, 10:54 AM
OH ATI Radeon x1300...yes it does run Halo well, but it won't record AND play it that well. It still widely depends on what the fps you use to record with.

With other games, I wouldn't count on it.

Tarzan
October 6th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Xetsueiâ„¢;170186']Negative, your GPU is fucking terrible. Get a new one.

Are you kidding? The graphics are fine. Halo doesn't need a powerful GPU. It's much more likely the problem is caused by the recording in 1280 X 1024 and PIP from the CVBS and S-Video in lines... Read the thread before you go spouting like that...

Syuusuke
October 6th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Anytime you record with a program (Camstudio, GameCam, Fraps, etc.), your framerate will drop. Unless you have some the latest graphics cards in some cases.

Teh Ganon
October 6th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I've had good luck with gamecam lite. 10 bucks, works fine.

Jelly
October 6th, 2007, 04:35 PM
It's your processor that needs more grunt, not the GPU.

Tarzan
October 6th, 2007, 07:23 PM
It's your processor that needs more grunt, not the GPU.

OMG... if you don't READ THE FUCKING THREAD get out! I have dual core 3 ghz and 2 GB interleaved memory - more than enough. I'm going to lock this because there are too many stupid people posting in there. I'm going to -rep the morons who don't read things...