PDA

View Full Version : EMP bomb

DemonOne
January 11th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Hey all,

Think about this, a bomb that emits an Electromagnetic Pulse which drops every energy shield within the blast radius (maybe even a lasting effect).
No boom, no shock wave, just a "matrix" like EMP cannon effect.

It sounds to me like an interesting way of trying to get rid of base defenders, imagine everybody running for cover after their shields go down...

I couldn't find evidence that somehow already implemented such a weapon, but I may not have looked good enough.

Anyhow, I would like you guys to point out if this weapon is even possible.

Demon.

rossmum
January 11th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Easy. Incredibly so.

DemonOne
January 11th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Good.

Now I'm actually thinking about spending my weekend reading tutorials.

rossmum
January 11th, 2007, 06:15 PM
It's a matter of changing a few numbers in the damage tag and checking a box... then adding anything fancy you might want afterwards.

Btd69
January 11th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Pretty much as rossmum said; and personally I think it's a pretty awesome idea :)

n00b1n8R
January 11th, 2007, 11:36 PM
why hasn't anyone else thought of this???

win.

JDMFSeanP
January 12th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Other than spartan suites arent affected by EMP waves, good idea but ti was posted long ago on bungie forums.

rossmum
January 12th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Wrong.

It can affect vehicles too.

stun 1
stun strength 1
stun time 5

There you go, add that to the existing EMP grenade tags (which I may whip up later, if you guys really want and if I have time), and as well as dropping shields it freezes players and vehicles under the control of a biped for 5 seconds.

Btd69
January 12th, 2007, 03:37 AM
For the exploding sound you could probably ask jahrain to let you use the 'ready' sound he used for his energy sword; IMO would fit pretty well.

n00b1n8R
January 12th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Wrong.

It can affect vehicles too.

stun 1
stun strength 1
stun time 5

There you go, add that to the existing EMP grenade tags (which I may whip up later, if you guys really want and if I have time), and as well as dropping shields it freezes players and vehicles under the control of a biped for 5 seconds.

i don't think it should freeze the player.
from a fluff perspective, i think the MC is moving under his own weight.
from a game play point of view, that would make it the ultimate n00b toy(stops vehicles, stops people, drops shield) and then they just kill them with pistols (still using 5 shots per person :mad:) and it would be relatively screwed if it goes off near you (so your stuck, and it defeats the purpose of making an un-fair fight).

being in australia and all, i'd probably also think that i was just getting some major lag... (and that gets abit confusing). and you didn't say that you can't shoot. so there could be someone stuck infront of you and you just shove a clip of AR in their face.

also, you didn't say you can't turn around (unless that counts as moving).

i like the freezes vehicles, takes out shields (possible slows down the MC but not stops?) but i think any more than that and it would be to over-powered.

n00b out

DemonOne
January 12th, 2007, 05:11 AM
rossmum: exactly what I wast thinking about freezing vehicles.

n00b1n8R: "The battle suit utilizes a neural interface implanted in your brain. Your armor's movement and weapons are controlled at the speed of your thoughts" - Quoted from the Halo manual.

So, it might make sense to freeze players, though it would be cooler to slow them down, if that's possible.

Bodzilla
January 12th, 2007, 05:20 AM
being in australia and all...
n00b out
holly crap, are u noobinator taht sometimes games on PC.... the same bastard that follows me around trying to TK me under many different alias's..

if so

plz die

kthxbi

rossmum
January 12th, 2007, 10:58 AM
rossmum: exactly what I wast thinking about freezing vehicles.

n00b1n8R: "The battle suit utilizes a neural interface implanted in your brain. Your armor's movement and weapons are controlled at the speed of your thoughts" - Quoted from the Halo manual.

So, it might make sense to freeze players, though it would be cooler to slow them down, if that's possible.
Also possible. Just change the max stun, though that'll slow vehicles rather than freeze them. And no, you can't do anything while stunned. That's the effect the plasma weapons have in Halo... partial stun.

DemonOne
January 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Considering balance, I think the bomb should take a weapon slot maybe, so the guy carrying it is more vulnerable, and it should spawn at one or two places only.

The more I think about it, the more I feel it needs a new map, or game type concept.

Waiting for your input...

xhedgehogx
January 12th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Wouldn't it knock out your own shields too? Resulting in balance?:)

demonmaster3k
January 12th, 2007, 05:50 PM
... this effect is in bf2142
you can freeze vehicles with it and it creates visual glitches (screen gets all blury on purpose)
also, make the grenade have a flash and some blue and white sparks (but not like stickies) that would make it cooler

itszutak
January 12th, 2007, 07:22 PM
If you've read the books...The energy shields and HUD of the MJLONIR suits are affected by EMP pulses; I think the best we can do is the shields. >_>

n00b1n8R
January 12th, 2007, 08:16 PM
@itszutak: that's from a fluff perspective, not a game play perspective (which would you prefer to be playing?)

@deamonOne: i think that's a good idea, but would you still be able to throw other nades with it? and what would happen when your out of amo (wouldn't it still look like there is a nade in your hand?)

@bodzilla: no, that's not me. there is this other guy i met called "noobinator" (as opposed to my spelling "n00b1n8R") who seemed like a major asswhole. and i havn't played PC in about 2 months.

n00b out

Chief117
January 12th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Awesome idea, just don't make people freeze still,because what if some noob tker goes crazy on his team throwin' these around making his team sit still like sittin' ducks?simply make them drop their shields although awesome idea!!!:)

DemonOne
January 12th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

demonmaster3k: I wasn't aware this existed in bt2142... oh well.

Chief117: Don't worry, I don't intend to freeze players, I just want to slow them down.

n00b1n8R: I think the C4 is a good example, it takes a weapon slot and it's gone after you throw it, and I hope the same can be done without making it occupy a third slot.

Anyhow, Just installed HEK for the first time... gonna mess around with it now.

n00b1n8R
January 12th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

demonmaster3k: I wasn't aware this existed in bt2142... oh well.

it does, it's called the EMP mines (kills vehicles majorly) and EMP grenades (freeze vehicles) and EMP strike (same as the nade).

good luck :D
n00b out

Edward Elrich
January 12th, 2007, 10:47 PM
If this is being implimented, I know where the blast can come from... the EMP-like blasts on Two Betrayals when you have to disable the generators. (Unless it's being done from scratch, of course.)

rossmum
January 12th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Custom effects ftw. I'll do the damage and projectile tagging if someone else does the effects and such.

DemonOne
January 13th, 2007, 08:32 AM
I was messing around in gmax and got an idea.
What if me make an EMP field emitter, which is mounted on a hog or something, but has to be parked in order to function?

I don't know if it's possible to make it have a depleting power source, but it sound like a must to me.

Imagine, hiding such an emitter somewhere (maybe even select a mode: bring down shields completely, remodulate shields, jitter...) and let the other team try to find it.

Just toying around with ideas....

Gonna teach myself some gmax now.

Chief117
January 13th, 2007, 10:13 AM
You mean like making a new gametype wher 1 team has to disable the bomb or something?If not, then what do you mean?

Bodzilla
January 13th, 2007, 01:35 PM
too over Powered in my opinion, disabling an entire Teams shield as soon as they spawn is to much.

i dunno if i commented :\ but i like the idea of an EMP weapon, but it needs to take up a weapon slot and shouldnt affect vehicles so it wont be insanely overpowered. no stunning just brings downs sheilds, would be a great team tactic weapon IMO.

DemonOne
January 13th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I don't mean to bring down an entire teams shield as soon as they spawn.
The idea is kind of a game type concerning chief117 question.

I can't really work out the specifics right now as it sound to complicated in my head...

The bomb and the device I talked about are not one in the same, the bomb can be used to overwhelm an opposition tactically, and the device is kind of a strategic weapon.

Anyhow, I have no idea as to what extent Halo game types can be modified.

Pooky
January 13th, 2007, 05:59 PM
why hasn't anyone else thought of this???

win.

Actually, a lot of people have thought of this. I did it in a multiplayer map once out of boredom, just gave a plasma grenade a 30 second timer, a huge blast radius, so much stun you could barely move, and enough damage to bring shields down and nothing else. Deleted all the spawns except one in the caves, and changed max capacity to 1. Instant non modeled or skinned EMP bomb.

Scott-PL
January 13th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Nice idea.. Make it Blue!!one11!

MasterChief2829
January 13th, 2007, 10:54 PM
No little wave that can be seen? Just an unnoticeable EMP? I would at least have that transparent wavy effect.

rossmum
January 13th, 2007, 11:23 PM
You can create the effect yourself then...

TeeKup
January 14th, 2007, 12:45 AM
The one Pooky made is so messed up. It stuns you, your screen is flashing colors and you walk like an old crippled. XD

rossmum
January 14th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Hmm...

Migraine grenade to go with the Exception Cannon... Sounds like a plan. (:<

Pooky
January 14th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I had a knock you out of the game nade we played with last night too. Those EMPs were fun.

Master Chief
January 17th, 2007, 07:40 AM
lol i wouldnt mind havin an EMP nade to go around in multiplayer maps, it would b craz to see some1 just freeze seconds be4 he reaches u

rossmum
January 17th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Can you please quit with the damn IM abbreviations? This is a FORUM, not a CHATROOM.

And if you actually looked, the map's been released.

Pooky
January 17th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Oh they don't just freeze, they flop around like cripples. And yea, the mod's up here for you to play around with

http://h2vista.net/forums/showthread.php?t=686

Master Chief
January 24th, 2007, 07:08 AM
thank you, i guess i wasnt paying any attention