PDA

View Full Version : Flood spore weapon?

itszutak
January 13th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I was playing through HL1, and there's a part where you can pick up some sort of bug as a weapon; when you throw it, it starts devouring everything in sight until it's killed...

So...Is there any way something like that can be created, but using an infection form instead? The FP anims could be quite fun, with the infection form squirming, perhaps the MC poking it during the idle anim, and so on.

Even if it's just for SP, is it possible to make a weapon spawn an AI? If not, then I guess it could work as an oddball... <_<

DECOY
January 13th, 2007, 12:44 PM
The spores wont sync on Multiplayer, but its basically just chainspawning.

SgtBotley
January 13th, 2007, 05:04 PM
cant you just use the flood spoor model and use it as a homing projectile that sticks?

Trezeguet
January 13th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Sounds like a cool idea. It might not be such a good idea for MP though.
On HL2, I like squishing the thing, it was funny :)

legionaire45
January 13th, 2007, 05:33 PM
The snark? god those things were fun. sounds like it would be fun in HCE.

itszutak
January 13th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Sounds like a cool idea. It might not be such a good idea for MP though.
On HL2, I like squishing the thing, it was funny :)
They're not in HL2, just HL1 :'(

cant you just use the flood spoor model and use it as a homing projectile that sticks?
Yeah, but that would look like crap.

SgtBotley
January 13th, 2007, 06:34 PM
not if u tagged it right...:S, have some imagination

Pooky
January 13th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Wouldn't they come and attack you, just like the little bugs in HL1 did?
Also needed, 343 Guilty Spark as the ball in oddball, and when you melee with him he says random things like "please stop being human"

rossmum
January 13th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Been done, in a PC SP -> MP conversion, ages ago. He didn't talk though.

Shmee
January 13th, 2007, 07:20 PM
They're not in HL2, just HL1 :'(

Yeah, but that would look like crap.

actually i think he means the pherapod bait. its basically an organ that u get from killing an aunt guard that allows u to control antlions. and yes, it is from hl2.

Pooky
January 14th, 2007, 03:01 PM
No, the antlions were in HL2, but there was another, totally different bug you got in HL1. You held it on your hand then tossed it, and it ran around attacking people

Master Chief
January 17th, 2007, 07:46 AM
i dunno anythin about the HL games, but a flood spore wep would b fun 2 use, just imagine, using it in multiplayer and see it go attack an enemy (immediatly drains shields, then works on health) lol

rossmum
January 17th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Unfortunately, it wouldn't work like you'd want it to and would end up looking cheesy.

Ah, the joys of working with CE's netcode.

Pooky
January 17th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work in single player. I might experiment later with spawning Grunts with AI.

rossmum
January 17th, 2007, 06:24 PM
It'd probably work in SP if you figured it out, not online though... and it'd be just as likely to go for you.

You'd need to project it some distance away to stop it just eating you.

Pooky
January 17th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Even if it did come back and attack you on occasion, come on it's a Flood spore. I don't think it's going to hurt THAT much

rossmum
January 17th, 2007, 11:33 PM
If your shields drop, it will.

Pooky
January 18th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Don't throw it when your shields are down, for the same reason you wouldn't fire a Rocket Launcher at point blank range

rossmum
January 18th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Your shields could drop after you throw it.

itszutak
January 18th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I think I know 2 solutions:

(A) The "gun" shoots the spore and a damageless explosion, to push the spore away...

(B) Make the spore a separate biped, on the "cyborg" team, or one of the unused ones, if there's a way to make it enemy to all but itself...

Pooky
January 19th, 2007, 05:13 PM
You probably could if you duplicated the spore first, so you hada spore and a spore2, then tell spore 2 to be on the team "Player"

rossmum
January 20th, 2007, 01:42 AM
But then that seems totally fucked up because the Flood hate everyone.

Pooky
January 23rd, 2007, 12:17 AM
Unless of course the IDEA in the first place was for them not to attack you, I seem to remember your arguments against the weapon

If your shields drop, it will [attack you].

Your shields could drop after you throw it.

rossmum
January 23rd, 2007, 12:21 AM
...What?

Flood should attack everything. Otherwise it seems incredibly stupid that some do and some don't.

Pooky
January 23rd, 2007, 12:23 AM

If it spawned a flood spore biped on the "player" team, it would not attack you. This seems like a reasonable answer as your objection in the first place was that it would turn around and attack you when your shields were down. I think this needs a lock, however, as we're the only ones debating it anymore.

rossmum
January 23rd, 2007, 12:42 AM
I'm well aware of team changing for AI, thanks. I've done it enough times over the last 3 years.

What I meant was that it would seem utterly fucked-up that the Flood spore would leave you alone, it just doesn't fit with the game. If you were playing as Flood, it would make more sense.

That said, I've yet to see a well-done Flood player in PC or CE. Perhaps someone would like to give it a try?

Thread's fine. Leave it as is.

itszutak
January 23rd, 2007, 10:08 AM
I think, since the flood would have to attack everything...I could use a very light spore pushed by an explosion...

rossmum
January 23rd, 2007, 08:12 PM
I think, since the flood would have to attack everything...I could use a very light spore pushed by an explosion...
*POP*

Pooky
January 23rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
Unless you used an explosion that does no damage and unchecked the makes flood pop flag. I did a Flood Combat Form in multiplayer that worked 100% perfectly and had energy shields, only thing was it was missing animations for strafing and such.

rossmum
January 23rd, 2007, 09:48 PM
True. He didn't specify that, though, so I assumed he meant a normal explosion.

itszutak
January 24th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I probably should have mentioned it would be damageless, like the h2CE sword... >_>

Also, the flood_infection_nopop wouldn't work because eventually something would need to be able to pop it... >_>

KiLLa
January 24th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Um, in Half Life...The bugs would turn around on you, if there wasn't a nearby enemy.
So wtf is the problem with it turning and attacking you again?

itszutak
January 24th, 2007, 03:00 PM
The problem is exactly that; upon dropping it, it will most likely just turn on the tosser, instead of being any help as a weapon. If some force is put behind it, however, it could be pusted out of "sight" of the chief, and will instead attack anything else it sees, saving the chief for if he gets in range...

Of course, first, I'll need to learn how to animate weapons... >_>

Pooky
January 24th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I probably should have mentioned it would be damageless, like the h2CE sword... >_>

Also, the flood_infection_nopop wouldn't work because eventually something would need to be able to pop it... >_>

Wouldn't you only uncheck that for the damage effect of the explosion you used to push it...?

rossmum
January 24th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Wouldn't you only uncheck that for the damage effect of the explosion you used to push it...?
DING DING DING DING DING DING

WINNER

Itsz, get on Xfire later and I'll discuss the basics of what you'd need to do. :p

Pooky
January 24th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Since this was a cool idea I've been wanting to get around to making it for a while. Just too lazy. =\