PDA

View Full Version : Metroid Online - The Move

odseraphim
October 8th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Hey, just letting you guys know that I decided to make the move over here. I'm sick of the Gearbox forums and the majority of it's inhabitants. It's not worth it, in all honesty, especially to post anything CE related, as no one visits that section anymore.

Regardless, if you didn't see my Gearbox post, the mod is pretty much done. We had to drop the morphball as the script doesn't work online with more than 1 person. Nothing can change that. The hud works, we're still trying to tweak the mod itself to ensure that it's fair and balanced, and all the gametypes are now supported. I'm trying to decide how I want to do the beta test, but I need to get 9 people other than me (fat chance in CE these days, huh?).

Sc00by and Lightning are on track (afaik) with Phendrana, the map we showed you in the end of one of our latest videos. It's going to be pretty awesome I think when it's done. I am definitely going to wait for that map to release the mod's first real map release, as the others were not ready for proper release. Now that we have the new mod, I think it will do our progress justice to have a pretty close rendition of Phendrana Shorelines to play our mod in.

I'll try to keep updating you guys to our progress, but since I don't quite know who all is new here, I'll post the last video we had uploaded.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/106398.html

-Seraphim

DaneO'Roo
October 8th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Oshit, welcome.

Also, It's nearly done?

:awesome:

Also, beta. Talk to lights, I don't think you know me that well, since I never post my texture painting work or anything at gearbox.

MNC
October 8th, 2007, 07:07 AM
:awesome: Hiya Seraphim! :D D'you have any plans for some singleplayer stuff? Though a backtracking kind of thing for Halo doesn't feel right.

Patrickssj6
October 8th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Hi ^^

Looks great :awesome:

Archon23
October 8th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Oh Shi, I was wondering when you'd move your operations here. (I was lurking gearbox the entire time :downs:, now wheres the Sonic Team?)

Looks awesome. :downs:

Oh did you fix the whole missile goes out before the cannon opens problem yet? That's always bugging me.

Id love to beta though fat chance of that happening huh? >_>

Sel
October 8th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Aww too bad about the morph ball.

I noticed that when you went into the missle thingy, the blades that face outwards of the gun are a little too long.

Other than that looks fucking amazing, and it would be amazing if you were to make a single player mod where you play as samus.

MNC
October 8th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Oh Shi, I was wondering when you'd move your operations here. (I was lurking gearbox the entire time :downs:, now wheres the Sonic Team?)

Looks awesome. :downs:

Oh did you fix the whole missile goes out before the cannon opens problem yet? That's always bugging me.

Id love to beta though fat chance of that happening huh? >_>
That may be bugging you, but it still the way it should be. Only in MPH you had to switch before firing, thus the missile comes after the change.

FRain
October 8th, 2007, 08:35 AM
:awesome:

I creamed.

Also, beta.

odseraphim
October 8th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I'll go ahead and say that probably anyone that I can muster into the beta, can be in it. We can even have two servers, with a team member in both. I'm not really worried about leaking right now, but I don't encourage it, obviously.

Case in point: I'm more worried about tags leaking than the map itself. A lot of work went into it (obviously, 3 years of work). So, let the discussion commence!

Ah, and I fixed a lot of what you saw in that video, and stuff that you didn't see, like the damage and it's effects.

Syuusuke
October 8th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Wow, that's Oh Dee, seraphim =)

Look's great!

Sel
October 8th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Also, beta.

Im in too if you need me.

Pooky
October 8th, 2007, 01:09 PM
hey pick me I've played through Metroid Prime 3 times on hard with 100% >:U

Seriously though, I've been looking forward to this for a long time and I'm glad to see something finally coming from it. Wish you guys the best.

Love De Lux
October 8th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Great news guy :D

I've finished both Metroid Prime 1 and 2. The 3 isn't out here yet.

Also, don't kill my phendrana, or I'll kick you in the face è_é

Botolf
October 8th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Wow, nice, very nice. I'm not much into Metroid, but this looks so intriguing, I'll have to try it out when you finish.

I can help test if you want, too, but I fully understand if you don't want to trust new members with it :p.

LinkandKvel
October 8th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Glad to see you move here seraphim.I can test for you if you need tester. I'm not too into metroid but I have benn keeping an eye on this mod just because it seems so promising. You have done a great job on this project. Best of luck 2 u and your team!!!

Archon23
October 8th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I just have to beta cause I'm a huge Metroid fan :downs:

I've always wanted to see a successful Metroid mod for some FPS on the PC yah know.

Sel
October 8th, 2007, 02:38 PM
say who has metroid prime hunters on DS?

MNC
October 8th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I do, but let's keep this about the Halo CE mod.

Hotrod
October 8th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Wow, this just looks amazing. I never thought that something like this could be done in Halo (the HUD). Too bad the morph ball didn't make it in. Also, how do the weapons work? Is it just that you press TAB to go through the weapons, or can you select whichever one you want?

HDoan
October 8th, 2007, 04:01 PM
You press tab to switch weapons

m13120
October 8th, 2007, 04:40 PM
If you'd like I can beta, I've seen this mod progress for a while, it's come a long way.

Pooky
October 8th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I do, but let's keep this about the Halo CE mod.

FRain
October 8th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I'll go ahead and say that probably anyone that I can muster into the beta, can be in it. We can even have two servers, with a team member in both. I'm not really worried about leaking right now, but I don't encourage it, obviously.

Case in point: I'm more worried about tags leaking than the map itself. A lot of work went into it (obviously, 3 years of work). So, let the discussion commence!

Ah, and I fixed a lot of what you saw in that video, and stuff that you didn't see, like the damage and it's effects.

Just when you send it to people other than trusted members, always protect it with HEK+.

~ZMT~Trace
October 8th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Beams look really awesome. I'd beta if you need anyone else.

Jay2645
October 8th, 2007, 08:47 PM
^ I'll beta as well.

See? It's not too hard to find Beta testers when the mod is :awesome:!

odseraphim
October 8th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Just letting you guys know, and confirming, that no beta is happening until I fix up a current map or until Phendrana is done. I know that may seem like an impossible endeavor, but I promise, it's a worthwhile hike.

I'll keep you posted, please don't turn this into a "can I beta" thread. I said anyone that is available (and that I have the staff-members to accommodate servers with), is invited. This does exclude the obvious leakers, but I haven't seen them in months.

-Seraphim

Kirby_422
October 9th, 2007, 02:01 PM
We had to drop the morphball as the script doesn't work online with more than 1 person. Nothing can change that.
come on, it does work, it just sometimes gets off track if you hammer the flashlight button enough lol.. it took us like 5 minutes of constantly pressing flashlight before we got off sync.. but then again, if its posible to get off sync, I guess thats bad.. lol

The hud works, we're still trying to tweak the mod itself to ensure that it's fair and balanced, and all the gametypes are now supported. I'm trying to decide how I want to do the beta test, but I need to get 9 people other than me (fat chance in CE these days, huh?).

so you figured out that little grenade counter visiblity without me? lol (if not, ill tell you exactly whats wrong with next time I talk to you)
and im sure I could round up a huge pile of testers.. I doubt all of them would be the most trustable testers, but I do have a few people who send me messages just asking me how progress is on metroid online adn the sonic team like once every 3 days lol (they get anoying..)

Apoc4lypse
October 9th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I'd be up for testing, I haven't played CE in a long while tho lolz...

ICEE
October 9th, 2007, 07:32 PM
wow seraphim, i am really impressed by this... and i had thought the metroid team had given up. i honestly can say that it is damn near flawless. the ONE thing i saw, was that the missile didnt budge the hog when it impacted it. an easy fix though. you have my download.

also, will any other bsp's be made for those tags? that would be really cool, to have multiple samus maps.

PS: i'd beta test

Teh Ganon
October 9th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I'd not only beta, i'd host a beta on my server >.>

Jay2645
October 9th, 2007, 07:42 PM
One bug I noticed is that the melee doesn't seem powerful enough.

Other then that, looks good.

Pooky
October 9th, 2007, 07:52 PM
well after watching that video I noticed a couple of things

1. you guys can do way better on the arm cannon, it needs a nice shiny detail map

2. the plasma beam charge ball is way too big

3. The ice beam is bouncy... is that done on purpose?

Other than that it looks awesome, and I assume the plasma pistol reticle is a placeholder

odseraphim
October 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM
well after watching that video I noticed a couple of things

3. The ice beam is bouncy... is that done on purpose?

No, it wasn't done on purpose. It was totally an accident. :XD:
That and, it's not the ice beam, it's the havoc beam. It's a custom beam we made to replace the ice beam because freezing someone (aka: stunning) is not fun in Halo, at all.. especially online.

Pooky
October 9th, 2007, 10:25 PM
No, it wasn't done on purpose. It was totally an accident. :XD:

You'd be amazed at the retarded things Ive seen in maps which the creator says was an accident

That and, it's not the ice beam, it's the havoc beam. It's a custom beam we made to replace the ice beam because freezing someone (aka: stunning) is not fun in Halo, at all.. especially online.
How was I supposed to know, the arm cannon permutation looks exactly like the Ice beam in metroid prime and the beam itself looks remarkably like it.

p0lar_bear
October 9th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Seraph, why don't we fall back onto the initial morph ball idea, where you can only activate it by going to a console?

We had a working vehicle generation script.

Y2cIz3lhNiY

odseraphim
October 10th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Seraph, why don't we fall back onto the initial morph ball idea, where you can only activate it by going to a console?

We had a working vehicle generation script.
That's a great idea, but why haven't you told us about this before? :fail:
I am willing to include the 'ball, but yeah, I need something consistent, and your script would need to work all the time, with up to 16 people. It would have to be modified to work all the time, where you want it.

Sel
October 10th, 2007, 03:28 PM
So any thoughts on modding the halo single player and having you play as samus? Then you really dont have to worry about it syncing.

p0lar_bear
October 10th, 2007, 03:56 PM
That's a great idea, but why haven't you told us about this before? :fail:I developed that generator ages ago for you, but we threw it out when the new ball script was made.

Right now the only issue with it, as you can see there, it that it occasionally spawns a ghost when it shouldn't. Of course, this is fixable by making it so only one ball spawns; my generator was made to spawn up to three ghosts.

odseraphim
October 10th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I developed that generator ages ago for you, but we threw it out when the new ball script was made.

Right now the only issue with it, as you can see there, it that it occasionally spawns a ghost when it shouldn't. Of course, this is fixable by making it so only one ball spawns; my generator was made to spawn up to three ghosts.
So it's only in a set location? We can't modify it to work like we wanted it to?

p0lar_bear
October 10th, 2007, 05:34 PM
We would write a script for each spawn point.

Fundamentally, it checks two trigger volumes that encase the spawn point; one is smaller than the other. It spawns the vehicle if a player is within the larger trigger, and if the vehicle doesn't already exist. If the vehicle is unoccupied while outside of the smaller trigger, it gets destroyed.

ExAm
October 10th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Oh, awesome! Given the chance, I'd like to try this out. I have no idea what the criteria for a Beta candidate are, but I can dream, can't I?

TeeKup
October 10th, 2007, 07:47 PM
It all looks really amazing. Especially the morph ball. :0

ExAm
October 11th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Which was cut.

Oxygen
October 11th, 2007, 12:49 AM
basically, seraph, i suggest putting the ball-spawns next to the tunnels on the map(s). tha's the only time when one would need to use it, i suppose? or set only one spawn place on each map...somewhere in the middle so that it adds to gameplay. people can race to the ball-spawns and use tunnels as shortcuts to flags...

~Oxy

odseraphim
October 11th, 2007, 06:29 AM
basically, seraph, i suggest putting the ball-spawns next to the tunnels on the map(s). tha's the only time when one would need to use it, i suppose? or set only one spawn place on each map...somewhere in the middle so that it adds to gameplay. people can race to the ball-spawns and use tunnels as shortcuts to flags...

~Oxy
The morphball itself is a novelty, it won't really add that much to gameplay, as most of our maps have vertical gameplay aspects (you have to climb up them to get to your destination). That, and if you have played Metroid Prime: Hunters, you know how annoying alt-spammers are. I have a feeling that most players would just hop into their morphball and just roll around, bombing people.

My decision stays, no morphball.

flibitijibibo
October 11th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Meh, the morph ball looked kinda cheap anyways XP.

I've probably said this on some other forum, but this mod is 1337 as hell. I (like everyone else) can't wait until the official release. Speaking of which, are there any estimates on dates, or are you going Duke Nukem: Forever on this project?

Jay2645
October 12th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I developed that generator ages ago for you, but we threw it out when the new ball script was made.

Wouldn't creating a trigger volume and using a script similar to this work? (Mine's unfinished, by the way):

(global short plyrnum 0)

(script continuous increase_plyrnum
(begin
(set plyrnum (+ plyrnum 1))
)
)

(script continuous reset_plyrnum
(if
(= (> plyrnum 15) true)
(begin
(set plyrnum 0)
)
)
)

(script startup RED_BANSHEE_GO_BYE_BYE
(object_destroy red_banshee)
)

(script startup BLUE_BANSHEE_GO_BYE_BYE
(object_destroy blue_banshee)
)

(script continuous redbanshee_spawn
(sleep_until (if (volume_test_object red_banshee_spawn (list_get (players) plyrnum)) true))
(sleep_until (if (vehicle_test_seat red_banshee "driver" (unit (vehicle_driver red_banshee))) false))
(object_create red_banshee)
(sleep 450)
(sleep_until (if (vehicle_test_seat red_banshee "driver" (unit (vehicle_driver red_banshee))) false))
)

(script continuous bluebanshee_spawn
(sleep_until (if (volume_test_object blue_banshee_spawn (list_get (players) plyrnum)) true))
(sleep_until (if (vehicle_test_seat blue_banshee "driver" (unit (vehicle_driver blue_banshee))) false))
(object_create blue_banshee)
(sleep 450)
(sleep_until (if (vehicle_test_seat blue_banshee "driver" (unit (vehicle_driver blue_banshee))) false))
)EDIT: For the sake of trying my tutorial skills (Thinking about making one, and never made one before), I'm going to explain what each part of the script should do:

(global short plyrnum 0)

(script continuous increase_plyrnum
(begin
(set plyrnum (+ plyrnum 1))
)
)

(script continuous reset_plyrnum
(if
(= (> plyrnum 15) true)
(begin
(set plyrnum 0)
)
)
)

Makes it so I don't have to set up 16 different scripts for each Banshee.

(script startup RED_BANSHEE_GO_BYE_BYE
)
Gets rid of the Red Banshee on startup.

(script startup BLUE_BANSHEE_GO_BYE_BYE
)
Same as above, but for Blue.

(script continuous redbanshee_spawn
(sleep_until (if (volume_test_object red_banshee_spawn (list_get (players) plyrnum)) true))
Tests if a player is in a trigger volume. If there is a player, it checks to see if someone is already in the Banshee. When false, it will continue.
(object_create red_banshee)
Destroys the old Banshee and makes a new one.
(sleep 450)
Waits 15 seconds for someone to get in, if no one gets in, it destroys the shee.
)

(script continuous bluebanshee_spawn
(sleep_until (if (volume_test_object blue_banshee_spawn (list_get (players) plyrnum)) true))
(object_create blue_banshee)
(sleep 450)
See the notes for the red one.
)

odseraphim
October 12th, 2007, 06:44 AM
My decision stays, no morphball.
The maps aren't going to be improved by it, the gameplay is probably going to be weakened by it, and it generally looks and operates poorly, as you can't bombjump.

Also, I said beta testing will commence when we get a new map worth testing in. I'll show you that map later this afternoon ;)
I'm shooting for tomorrow, but it's not in my hands.

odseraphim
October 12th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Later this afternoon didn't go well. My stupid flythrough I made of the map looked horrible. I'll try to show you guys the general layout tomorrow, I'm beat.

Syuusuke
October 12th, 2007, 10:07 PM
What's a bombjump?

When something explodes and you jump at the same time?

Archon23
October 12th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Man have you ever played Metroid?

Basically its like nade jumping in Halo. Bomb the ground, stand on top of the bomb, and you go flying. With Samus she goes higher and takes no damage from the bomb.

Syuusuke
October 12th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Nope, I haven't played Metroid (or at least remember everything) so I wouldn't know...but that did seem obvious =D

ICEE
October 13th, 2007, 12:31 AM
shame. shame on you.

odseraphim
October 13th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Well, here's the images I promised.

An Overview:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2126/1562345141_09d2d2c62a_o.jpg
Shot from the Temple:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2081/1563222594_89091770e8_o.jpg
Base View:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2179/1562344127_3026992e61_o.jpg

Lightning hasn't been on, so I don't see a Phendrana beta this weekend in the forecast. Don't beat him up about it though, he's got a life, just like we all do..

Kirby_422
October 13th, 2007, 11:38 PM
he's got a life, just like we all do..
speak for yourself lol.. im worthless in real life. I walk in the shadows, I dont talk to realy anyone (I have like 5 people ill exchange like 5 words a day with, and thats about it)

I walk around like a mindless drone, my actions seem like a drone, it takes a total of like 5 seconds to open my locker and get what I need and close it again.. lol. my face is always locked in slight frown, and I scare people who anoy me by staring in their eye without blinking for like 30 seconds (they usaly get creaped out and leave after 10 seconds lol)

So think before you speak.. lol.. not all of us acualy have lives unforchenatly..

DaneO'Roo
October 14th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Seraph, I'm LOVING the structures. Just make sure they end up being textured properly :D

Pooky
October 14th, 2007, 12:35 AM
That's my favorite area in all the metroid games, I hope you can do it justice and get it looking right.

odseraphim
October 17th, 2007, 02:47 PM
That's my favorite area in all the metroid games, I hope you can do it justice and get it looking right.
We're hoping to.

Humpday update: Lightning started working on the texturing, but somehow Max 9 corrupted the file/uvw's.. so he had to start over. Whether that means we will all be playing the mod this weekend or not, I dunno. I wasn't really intending for it to happen this weekend anyways, but I have no clue when to expect it right now.

It's one final element of the mod - the map - that we need. Ironic, no?
More news when I have it.

Syuusuke
October 17th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Note to seraph: reupload images, maybe?

odseraphim
October 17th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Note to seraph: reupload images, maybe?
What's wrong with the images? They are hosted at flickr.com

TeeKup
October 17th, 2007, 07:10 PM

I really loved Phendrana Drifts. The Music was great, the boss fights were great, plus the shaders in the game just made it all too sexy.

If I could live anywhere in any game universe, it would be Phendrana Drifts on Tallon IV. I of course would be packing several weapons, light to heavy, and perhaps a spartan armor, my H3 Setup.

Apoc4lypse
October 17th, 2007, 08:00 PM
idea on the morph ball just in case no one else thought of or tried it... but its probably been said before..

Can you make it so when you crouch Samus goes into the morph ball? no vehicles at all, it seems like it would be possible, but it would be a headache to do.

You would need to reanimate the crouching animation for the biped, and I'm not sure about making the ball either... I think it could work using functions somehow as an attachment or permutation to the biped, when you hit crouch Samus would be animated to be really small, and the functions would 'turn on" the morph ball around Samus, then the crouching walk speeds and such would all be adjusted so it felt like you morphed into a ball (faster then normal non crouch walking and such)

My idea is kind of like how the tachkioma (spelling?) from huge ass and how it used invisibility (since vehicles cant be invisible really) you pressed a button and the model would switch permutations so it switched to the invisible one, I'm not sure if the same goes for bipeds... idk I'm just throwing some ideas around because that one video of the morph ball makes it look like a lot of fun, it'd be a shame to be dropped from the mod, I just feel like there has to be a way...

I mean gameplay wise you can do it, just make crouch walking speeds the speed you would want to go at when in the morph ball, its just you need to make it so when u press crouch Samus looks like a morph ball... I think thats the simplest way to do it, vehicles and such need scripts, scripts rarely ever sync or work how you want when used online.

Anyway good luck with it, I still look foward to playing this mod, its :awesome: