PDA

View Full Version : Unusual bullet speed in CE

Texrat
October 12th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Ok, a comment I made in a game the other night has been making the rounds thanks to some arrogant ying yang in the Face clan, and I want to set the record straight.

I observed long ago in CE that bullets don't always fly at the same speed for everyone. On some occasions, in fact, they zip across a map at incredible speeds for one or more players. I used to think it might be a hack of some sort until one day it mysteriously happened to me. I joined a game and bullets came out of my pistol in a fraction of the time they usually did. They also flew across the map almost instantly. I was wiping people out left and right, and I'm just a mediocre player. It's only occurred a few times for me since then but I've noticed other players benefitting from it as well here and there.

So as it turns out 2 other players and I were commenting on that phenomenon when the Face player realized what was being said and started mocking. Well, let him have his fun. What I observed is real... or as real as an FPS game gets. ;)

It isn't just me noticing this. As I said, 2 other players were talking about it in that one game, and I've had discussions with others who agree this is a real deal. Someone had a theory as to the cause and I don't recall the details, but no doubt it was network related. I wish I knew what conditions caused it to happen for me those few times because I'd damn sure replicate them! :lol: I imagine it could even be a random glitch.

Anyway, if you hear anyone talking shit about this ([FBI]Addict was) then you now know the real scoop. If anyone else has experienced this and/or has theories, chime in!

Let the flaming commence...

Pooky
October 12th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Ok, a comment I made in a game the other night has been making the rounds thanks to some arrogant ying yang in the Face clan, and I want to set the record straight.

I observed long ago in CE that bullets don't always fly at the same speed for everyone. On some occasions, in fact, they zip across a map at incredible speeds for one or more players. I used to think it might be a hack of some sort until one day it mysteriously happened to me. I joined a game and bullets came out of my pistol in a fraction of the time they usually did. They also flew across the map almost instantly. I was wiping people out left and right, and I'm just a mediocre player. It's only occurred a few times for me since then but I've noticed other players benefitting from it as well here and there.

So as it turns out 2 other players and I were commenting on that phenomenon when the Face player realized what was being said and started mocking. Well, let him have his fun. What I observed is real... or as real as an FPS game gets. ;)

It isn't just me noticing this. As I said, 2 other players were talking about it in that one game, and I've had discussions with others who agree this is a real deal. Someone had a theory as to the cause and I don't recall the details, but no doubt it was network related. I wish I knew what conditions caused it to happen for me those few times because I'd damn sure replicate them! :lol: I imagine it could even be a random glitch.

Anyway, if you hear anyone talking shit about this ([FBI]Addict was) then you now know the real scoop. If anyone else has experienced this and/or has theories, chime in!

Let the flaming commence...

Did you try picking up anything besides human bullet weapons and notice the same thing? If not I don't believe you.

Texrat
October 12th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Dude. If I'd tried and there was no speed difference, THAT might mean something.

But not trying at all means nothing. I was having such incredible and rare success with the pistol (I normally can't do crap with it) I didn't even switch to my usual combo (shotty + RL). Since I didn't test other weapons I can neither prove nor disprove the pervasiveness of the speed effect.

That said, and no offense, but I don't care who believes or disbelieves. I know what I've experienced. I don't need anyone's validation. I posted this to clear the air, and if anyone wants to discuss, great. If no one believes, oh well. Life goes on!

DOMINATOR
October 12th, 2007, 12:39 AM
the face clan is a plague... i wish they were banned from CE.

Texrat
October 12th, 2007, 12:49 AM

Well, I have been seeing less and less of them.

Anyway, I thought of a way to illustrate one aspect of the phenomenon: the speed of the gun firing.

Normally I'd say holding down the pistol trigger results in pop--pop--pop for me.

When the phenomenon occurred, it was more like poppoppop.

I kid you not, it surprised the shit out of me when it first happened. I literally let loose of a "WTF???!!!?" Once I shook off the shock, I started aiming at player's heads and pressing the mouse button. Instant kills. I had never done anything like that before and other than a couple of other times I never have again. The first time it occurred, I suddenly realized how all of those "leet" players were getting fast headshots while I had to usually plug someone 6 times in the head before they died. I realized also that the people being falsely accused of botting were simply enjoying this phenomenon on a regular basis... leading me again to suspect some network behavior.

Texrat
October 12th, 2007, 01:04 AM
You know, it could very well be that the fast bullet speed is NORMAL and that I usually encounter abnormally slow speeds for myself, with a few rare exceptions. That would be a good explanation for most people not ever seeing this.

odseraphim
October 12th, 2007, 11:49 AM
You know, it could very well be that the fast bullet speed is NORMAL and that I usually encounter abnormally slow speeds for myself, with a few rare exceptions. That would be a good explanation for most people not ever seeing this.
I think you need to stop hitting the Warp pipe :lmao:

Texrat
October 12th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I think you need to stop hitting the Warp pipe :lmao:

More like it hitting me... :XD:

Pooky
October 12th, 2007, 03:32 PM
well if you've got a really high ping, and you shoot someone who's maybe 15 meters away from you and standing still, there's about a 2/3 second delay before it hits them, which might make it seem like your bullets are moving slower. Which is why I asked.

kenney001
October 12th, 2007, 04:23 PM
ping obviously causes bullets to appear faster, but not ROF. the only times Ive had this is when I run itunes and dont lock the fps to 30 in halo, then gamespeed appears to "double" and everything happends twice as fast. The thing is it causes severe "jumping" with more than one person.

Texrat
October 12th, 2007, 04:36 PM
well if you've got a really high ping, and you shoot someone who's maybe 15 meters away from you and standing still, there's about a 2/3 second delay before it hits them, which might make it seem like your bullets are moving slower. Which is why I asked.

My ping rarely exceeds 33. I have Verizon FIOS internet service, 5 meg down, 2 meg up. My PC is well above average. I am on a 1 Gb lan.

Still, *something* about my PC and/or network caues funky stuff to happen. The bullet phenomenon is just one I've encountered. Usually, people are never where they appear to be in CE, and the lead changes dynamically. Seems to be unique to my setup. But my general lag issues appear separate from the bullet issue I'm mentioning. I doubt I'll ever know what's behind it, but I know what I experience. Kinda scary when it happens. ;)

bleach
October 12th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I saw you in a Bloodgulch server yesterday, and I was playing. I had to lead 1.5 - 2 inches to hit someone with the pistol/sniper rifle.
1.88 mbps download and 384 kbps upload. My ping varies from 40 to 299 at most.

Rosco
October 12th, 2007, 05:39 PM
My ping rarely exceeds 33. I have Verizon FIOS internet service, 5 meg down, 2 meg up. My PC is well above average. I am on a 1 Gb lan.

Still, *something* about my PC and/or network caues funky stuff to happen. The bullet phenomenon is just one I've encountered. Usually, people are never where they appear to be in CE, and the lead changes dynamically. Seems to be unique to my setup. But my general lag issues appear separate from the bullet issue I'm mentioning. I doubt I'll ever know what's behind it, but I know what I experience. Kinda scary when it happens. ;)

Nearly every day gives me a different experiance.
Try an ocean between you and the server, and you see what variables of speed/ping there is for me. or rec0 ;p

Syuusuke
October 12th, 2007, 05:40 PM
This happened to you a long while ago didn't it?

ICEE
October 12th, 2007, 05:42 PM

Anyway, I thought of a way to illustrate one aspect of the phenomenon: the speed of the gun firing.

Normally I'd say holding down the pistol trigger results in pop--pop--pop for me.

I kid you not, it surprised the shit out of me when it first happened. I literally let loose of a "WTF???!!!?" Once I shook off the shock, I started aiming at player's heads and pressing the mouse button. Instant kills. I had never done anything like that before and other than a couple of other times I never have again. The first time it occurred, I suddenly realized how all of those "leet" players were getting fast headshots while I had to usually plug someone 6 times in the head before they died. I realized also that the people being falsely accused of botting were simply enjoying this phenomenon on a regular basis... leading me again to suspect some network behavior.

it is so easy to change firing speed and projectile movement speed. this really is no odd phenomenon at all

Syuusuke
October 12th, 2007, 07:00 PM
By holding down the left mouse button?

stankpot
October 12th, 2007, 07:02 PM
the bullets dont go faster, they all the same. aim for the head and maybe you can get a kill.

Teh Ganon
October 12th, 2007, 07:16 PM
texrat its your fios. <-50% joking 50% not

Sel
October 12th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Sooo true, sooo true.

Texrat
October 12th, 2007, 07:33 PM
the bullets dont go faster, they all the same. aim for the head and maybe you can get a kill.

I was waiting for a remark made out of ignorance. Thanks for playing.

Pooky
October 12th, 2007, 07:34 PM
the only problem with the face clan is that the leader recruits anyone who knows left click = shoot :\

Texrat
October 12th, 2007, 07:37 PM
This happened to you a long while ago didn't it?

The first time that I experienced it myself, yeah. Very long ago. You remember that conversation? I think maybe it was UXB who had an idea what was going on. Really wish I knew what it was so I could make it consistent. Odds are that my latter suspicion is correct, that I am usually experience something that abnormally slows down my projectiles (not that anyone else's are sped up)... and once in a while the stars come together just right and I get to enjoy decent performance. :lol:

Arteen
October 12th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I was waiting for a remark made out of ignorance. Thanks for playing.
Darn, and I was about to call you a nub and say you're crazy. No consolation prize? :(

Anyways, I have enough trouble getting my bullets to hit, so I haven't noticed bullet speed ever changing.

Syuusuke
October 12th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Alright I'm installing CE, to play with Texrat of course =D

Texrat
October 12th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Darn, and I was about to call you a nub and say you're crazy. No consolation prize? :(

Anyways, I have enough trouble getting my bullets to hit, so I haven't noticed bullet speed ever changing.

I'm increasingly convinced that what I'm talking about originates on my end, ie, that "fast" ammo and firing speeds are the norm and *something* is usually slowing things down for me.

And for the unenlightened few, nooo, I'm not talking about anything remotely resembling lead, skill, accuracy, etc. This is a software/system issue of some sort.

Syuu, it would be great to see you in-game again.

Syuusuke
October 12th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I just played, 55-20 more or less, not bad for someone who's used to H2V =D

Which server do you go on? (I have no custom maps)

Texrat
October 13th, 2007, 12:58 AM
I forget. It was all standard maps. Camper was on for a bit; we had a good time.

Pyong Kawaguchi
October 13th, 2007, 11:05 AM
it was probably a modded ce map
also the reason peoples bullets dont hit is because of halo pc's and halo ce's terrible netcoding, for your shots to hit. aim infront of where they are going and shoot in midair then a few seconds later it will hit

Texrat
October 13th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Wolf, I understand typical lag and lead. Again, take those out of the equation. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with them. I lag all the time, but the ammo/fire speed phenomenon is random.

And the phenomenon is map-independent. I received the rare gift of great performance the first time on a regular ol' Blood Gulch game.

I am building my kids new PCs that will be more powerful than mine when I'm done. I will use them to test game play and see how they fare.

Pyong Kawaguchi
October 13th, 2007, 11:28 AM
okay.. also i would like you to know something

it is possibble to mod bloodgulch

Syuusuke
October 13th, 2007, 12:14 PM
It's possible to a limit where everyone would have to have the same exact "modded" bloodgulch. Since this is CE, that would have to be so.

Syuusuke
October 13th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Wait then what does Alt+F4 do then?
----
Since I reinstalled my HCE, I set up my dedi once again! Hip-Hip Horray!

It's only Bloodgulch, but whatever...

ExAm
October 13th, 2007, 06:24 PM

I kid you not, it surprised the shit out of me when it first happened. I literally let loose of a "WTF???!!!?" Once I shook off the shock, I started aiming at player's heads and pressing the mouse button. Instant kills. I had never done anything like that before and other than a couple of other times I never have again. The first time it occurred, I suddenly realized how all of those "leet" players were getting fast headshots while I had to usually plug someone 6 times in the head before they died. I realized also that the people being falsely accused of botting were simply enjoying this phenomenon on a regular basis... leading me again to suspect some network behavior.I've had this happen before. I start Halo up, and everything moves unusually slow. Everything. Firing speeds, animations, etc., are visibly slower. I restart Halo and that fixes it.

Texrat
October 13th, 2007, 10:10 PM
okay.. also i would like you to know something

it is possibble to mod bloodgulch

Um... yeah. I know that.

But if you were really reading my posts on this subject you would know there's no point in that line of discussion.

Texrat
October 13th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I've had this happen before. I start Halo up, and everything moves unusually slow. Everything. Firing speeds, animations, etc., are visibly slower. I restart Halo and that fixes it.

Interesting. Something I may have to try.

I *am* getting a new graphics board and faster CPUs soon. I'll see if those make any difference too.

Pooky
October 13th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Hey tex ever notice how you almost always double post if you post at all

Syuusuke
October 13th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Ever notice how tha- *snores*
----

That "slowness" described happened to me when there was some problem with Sightjacker that made everything slow and made my mouse movement like I was playing at 1 fps (while it wasn't)

ExAm
October 14th, 2007, 01:19 AM
No one really cares when he double posts, because he always has something good to add. Still, there's no substitute for that good ol' edit button.

Pooky
October 14th, 2007, 02:57 AM
I didn't say I cared, I asked if he noticed. Read :downs:

Texrat
October 14th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Hey tex ever notice how you almost always double post if you post at all

Actually, I don't almost always double-post. Maybe 15% of the time, 20% max.

Besides, I addressed two separate people. When the MODS take me to task for it, then I'll change my style.

Apoc4lypse
October 14th, 2007, 02:17 PM
hmm tex do you have fraps?

You should record what you usually play like then also record it when the glitch happens like your saying, just so we can see what you mean.

otherwise idk.. never happened to me before..

I usually just get off games and then games where I play way better then I'm used to, although nothing is visibly different, other than my leading being a lot easier to play with due to a better ping or something. I always play better with good pings, and a certain lead that I'm used to.

OmegaDragon
October 14th, 2007, 04:58 PM
It has happened to me a few times. I have also experienced a short time where it kinda slows down a bit, then it picks up the pace back to normal, but that has only happened to me once.

Shadow5561
October 14th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Never happened to me, I either have normal speed or lag. If anything that caused this it would have to be low Ping (which I never have :()

Jay2645
October 14th, 2007, 06:00 PM
My FPS normally stays about the same, so I don't have that problem.

InnerGoat
October 14th, 2007, 10:16 PM
You know, it could very well be that the fast bullet speed is NORMAL and that I usually encounter abnormally slow speeds for myself, with a few rare exceptions. That would be a good explanation for most people not ever seeing this.You have a dual socket AMD system, don't you? I wouldn't be surprised if the rig is giving you trouble.

Texrat
October 14th, 2007, 10:21 PM
You have a dual socket AMD system, don't you? I wouldn't be surprised if the rig is giving you trouble.

Me either, actually. It's really a workstation, but does decently on games.

Texrat
October 16th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Well, I performed some upgrades. I bought 2 faster Opteron CPUs (2.6 GHz instead of the previous 2.0) but only one has arrived so far. I installed it, along with a newer graphics card (MSI 2600XT) and turned all the Halo CE video features up high. I also changed the CE frame control to NO VSYNC on Dareme55's advice. Finally, I temporarily removed 2 gig of my 4 gig ram since I had 2 gig allocated to each CPU.

So far, even with everything maxed, I'm getting somewhat better performance. It remains to be seen if I've corrected a general slowdown problem...

Syuusuke
October 16th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Bring it on Rat..tex

InnerGoat
October 17th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Vsync is pretty bothersome from my experience with it. If your system can't keep a solid 60fps then it drops to 30, and makes the game feel like it got stuck in mud. You should be seeing a large frame rate boost from the new video card though. :confused:

Texrat
October 17th, 2007, 04:38 PM
fps running from 220 to 290 now.

Oh, and I *finally* got a few pistol 1SKs the other night, so now I know for sure they are possible. So much for those denying it...

Syuusuke
October 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM
1sk?

All I can think of is that
1) no shields, (but that would probably take 2 anyway)
2) had already been weakened for you
3) your kid's a hacker and you don't know it.

Texrat
October 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM
LOL... I suspect the already weakened part. However, I did manage to beat my usual 6SK several times. That made my night.