PDA

View Full Version : ironclad requires criticism once again

ICEE
October 13th, 2007, 12:19 AM
hi, ive been working on my assualt rifle once again, and this time i believe my anims are much improved. i took the critiques that i received last time to heart, and here is the result.

reload updated (http://files.filefront.com/ARreloadtk2mov/;8788687;/fileinfo.html)

melee (http://files.filefront.com/ARmeleemov/;8784587;/fileinfo.html)

please, comment on these two animations.

(for those concerned about my frequent creations of these threads, please note that i locked all predecessors.)

and my usual disclaimer...

THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD IS PURELY FOR CRITIQUE! I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ATTENTION, SHOWING OFF, TRYING TO OBTAIN REP, OR RELEASING A FINISHED PRODUCT! PLEASE POST ACCORDINGLY! thank you

things i am NOT looking for in this thread!:

flames

spams

rudeness (its totally possible to critique without being rude)

posts that begin with "sorry but..." ( im not looking for pity, im looking for advice)

comments such as "BUT THE ASSUALT RIFLE HAS BEEN DONE SO MANY TIMES!". i honestly dont care.

discouragement.

THINGS I AM LOOKING FOR IN THIS THREAD!

criticism

tips

general words of wisdom to help me better myself.

FRain
October 13th, 2007, 12:37 AM
You've improved most definitely, but not alot.

Still the AR kinda snaps to the frame where he takes mag out.

There's no reaction to the mag in and no reaction to the bolt push (there should be a slight reaction.

kenney001
October 13th, 2007, 12:43 AM
reload needs to be slightly faster, and not "jerk" to the upright position at the beginning like frain said.

ICEE
October 13th, 2007, 12:56 AM
i will fix the jerking, and in doing so i can also speed it up a bit. but i see a reaction to both the insert of the magazine, and the bolt sliding. its just very minimal, because of the slowness of his motions, i didnt want to make it react TO much. thank you both of you

as for the firing, (i didnt upload it), who here prefers the bolt sliding during the fire (like in h3 beta), over the bolt remaining idle (like in h3 final)? i do, and therefore, the bolt slides. i just want a public opinion

Pooky
October 13th, 2007, 01:22 AM
I think it would be cooler if you made completely original animations, but these are decent. Pretty much what everyone's said so far, I agree with.

ICEE
October 13th, 2007, 01:28 AM
i can only get so original with a borrowed gun and a borrowed concept :)

Jay2645
October 13th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Also, try to gently make the assault rifle "sway" in the animations, so that it looks realistic, and not like MC's a robot. Lift something, anything, like MC does in your animations. Watch your arm "sway" under the weight. Try to recreate that.

MNC
October 13th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Filefront movies have embedded movies in the link, not a link to a download (which is what I thought at first)

Also, melee looks very nice. But now I think of it, wouldn't it be a bit hard to hit someone with a gun like that? I know, I know, H3 also has that melee... It just bothers me a bit.

ExAm
October 13th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Needs more natural flow, of which I see none. Looks stiff and robotic.

teh lag
October 13th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Not good at all. You have no visible attempt at natural motion - you need to learn how to make animations flow, not point-a to point-b. In general, the animations are also too slow. However, at least you have good basic motions.

http://www.daellum67.com/gtfo/VTM2_4.rar

Watch that tutorial, it'll help.

FRain
October 13th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Coolie, might help me too. But what is this "-67" frame that I'm supposed to know of? Is it just for Source or does it apply for CE too?

CtrlAltDestroy
October 13th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I use negative keyframes to "store" poses that I know I will reuse in the future.

FRain
October 13th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Ahhhhh, I see.

ICEE
October 13th, 2007, 12:26 PM
tell, me, which movement in general looks unnatural? it seems to me that most of them are fine, (im working on how he brings the rifle to the reloading position) but i need specifics.

ICEE
October 13th, 2007, 01:18 PM
forgive me for doubleposting, but ive just uploaded an updated reload. it is signifigantly faster, and i did my best to understand and fix the rest of the criticism

teh lag
October 13th, 2007, 01:37 PM
They're not fine. There's no in-between motion. The gun stays perfectly still, with minimal variation in movement between "events." (mag in, mag out, etc). You need flowing movement, because no human can hold things so rigidly. I strongly suggest you look at that tutorial and take some pointers from how the person animates, it WILL help.