PDA

View Full Version : Here's an idea...

Agamemnon
January 15th, 2007, 04:02 PM
To the flood of newbies of this forum and to this board, heed by this suggestion. Instead of blatently posting an idea (which, at times, might be idiotic or something that would take a crack team of modders to do in about six months) and then asking, "Would this be cool?" try and use some common sense. After someone says "yes," don't just say, "Ok. Now you should get a team together and make it." This isn't halomaps.org. Stop flooding the forums with your bile. Post intelligently and constructively and not wishfully. If you can't then I suggest to not post at all. [/endrant]

Pooky
January 15th, 2007, 04:03 PM
where did that come from?

Agamemnon
January 15th, 2007, 04:05 PM
After being away for a few months, coming back here, looking at the boards, and seeing it populated by kids saying, "This idea would be awesome! Who wants to make it?"

Pooky
January 15th, 2007, 04:06 PM
If you wanted to you could call that overly optimistic feedback, but I see your point

TheGhost
January 15th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I would agree that if a person is posting an idea they should at least put up a concept sketch or something that shows they spent more than 1 minute typing up a new post from an idea they just conceived.

Oh, and nice to have you back. =)

Limited
January 15th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I agree, not pointing any fingers but you know try things out if it works cool. This is CE, just coing up with ideas isnt really extertaining enough, I'd rather read a thread where some one has an idea and then tries to make it or makes it amd shows us all.

Agamemnon
January 15th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Nice to be back. :) I just get a little frustrated when I come back and there's about 5,000 new threads, where maybe only 100 of them involve constructive and critical thinking. Also need to start things back up with Mined.

Limited
January 15th, 2007, 04:16 PM
As we're talking about teh forums

is it true theres a ghost's gh3tT0 (perhaps its called ghrotto I dunno)

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
January 15th, 2007, 04:30 PM
As we're talking about teh forums

is it true theres a ghost's gh3tT0 (perhaps its called ghrotto I dunno)No. There isn't a Ghost's Ghetto.

n00b1n8R
January 15th, 2007, 05:07 PM
This isn't halomaps.org. Stop flooding the forums with your bile.

i resent that comment (even if i secretly agree with it).
the truth is, that more and more people are gona be coming to this site and theirs nothing we can really do to stop that. the only way to really stop the brats is to put the fear of god (admins) into them. delete threads such as "wouldn't it be cool" until the shits eather get the message or some more drastic action needs to be taken.

TBH, the reason i've started coming here more often is because i'm sick of the brats at halomaps with their constant whinnying. but i don't want to see that site die..
n00b out

DemonOne
January 15th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I do believe some of the posters are really serious about their ideas, I for one started working on my gmax knowledge again.

What's wrong with developing an idea with the other members? sometimes a person can't really put his finger on it without help.

I do however agree with TheGhost's idea about "concept sketches or something", where "something" is kind of a detailed description, which means I have to start working on mine.

Agamemnon
January 15th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Obliviously posting, "OMG LIEK WUDDNT IT BE KOOL IFF we had liek 500 ft mechs wit missals and boms and den we haff gravitee gun den we haff liek coldsnap times 500 with 1,000 vehicules like meks and stuff. Good idea, ya? Ok, who make?" doesn't count as anything innovative or intuitive; it's just plain retarded. What's more is that is the majority of the posts at halomaps.org and the majority of that community is coming over here. Yes, some people over there are actually intelligent and have some modding skills, but if you have zero modding skills what so ever, you know you won't be able to even try and tackle the project because you wouldn't even know where to start, and if you post an idea that you know it just about nigh-impossible but "lawl think it's cool anyways" doesn't make it ok to do it. This community will eat you alive.

Pooky
January 15th, 2007, 05:37 PM
i resent that comment (even if i secretly agree with it).
the truth is, that more and more people are gona be coming to this site and theirs nothing we can really do to stop that. the only way to really stop the brats is to put the fear of god (admins) into them. delete threads such as "wouldn't it be cool" until the shits eather get the message or some more drastic action needs to be taken.

TBH, the reason i've started coming here more often is because i'm sick of the brats at halomaps with their constant whinnying. but i don't want to see that site die..
n00b out

Don't call site admins gods. Ever again. I agree with most of the rest of that

DemonOne
January 15th, 2007, 05:42 PM
You are right about those posts, however, my concern is that people who don't have all the necessary modding skills, but have legitimate ideas will be afraid of being "eaten alive".

Until now, I don't remember seeing too many carnivorous posts, which is a good thing (I guess).

Pooky
January 15th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Until now, I don't remember seeing too many carnivorous posts

http://h2vista.net/forums/search.php?searchid=5423

n00b1n8R
January 15th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Don't call site admins gods. Ever again. I agree with most of the rest of that

i wasn't calling them gods, i was comparing their powers on the forums to that of a gods (the power to create, delete, and generally fuck around with shit).

sorry if i offended you (i'm an atheist so i don't really take god comments to seriously)
n00b out

Pooky
January 16th, 2007, 12:25 AM
i wasn't calling them gods, i was comparing their powers on the forums to that of a gods (the power to create, delete, and generally fuck around with shit).

sorry if i offended you (i'm an atheist so i don't really take god comments to seriously)
n00b out

XD I wasn't offended, I just detest the comparison of website admins to gods. They're not, they're people.

rossmum
January 16th, 2007, 01:05 AM
i haev an idea taht woud liek b relli kool, i think we shood sticky dis thread

I agree. If you have an idea, find out how to do it yourself or find someone who has the no-how and the interest. Don't post it here and expect us to drop everything and make your idea a reality (which is usually impossible anyway).

Bodzilla
January 16th, 2007, 05:57 AM
this forum needs more Gbx'rs tbh.
theres alot of smart intelligent ppl over there that have loads of backround modding experience.

Btd69
January 16th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Meh. To be honest I enjoy these forums more than GBX.

Bodzilla
January 16th, 2007, 08:55 AM
gearbox posts are generally better.
Gearbox has some evil twisted Sick puppys, but there all relatively smart and know what there doing.

Limited
January 16th, 2007, 11:12 AM
True true, I think its better because the people who run it, (admins / mods) are people who are actually involved in the modding community, GBX sure has mods that are in modding community but its not the same, its the admins who are in charge in the end.

One plus about gbx is im not there :O

rossmum
January 16th, 2007, 07:05 PM
GBX is alright but it's too active for me to keep up with, I end up missing a few thousand posts if I'm off the PC for two days >_>

Bodzilla
January 16th, 2007, 10:30 PM
^ i get that 2

but i reckon h2v is worse for post spammage. i come back and theres a full 20 new threads i'm like O_o

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
January 16th, 2007, 10:48 PM
^ i get that 2

but i reckon h2v is worse for post spammage. i come back and theres a full 20 new threads i'm like O_oYeah. It's good how active this place is - But it's getting to active for me to look at every single thread. I mainly check the most active forums (CMT, this one, off-topic, and tech) and just use them "mark forums read" button.

An Emu
January 16th, 2007, 11:26 PM
yeah i guess i like these forums alot now because the mods are cool and the rules are a bit looser. Its really active too, and yeah, like whiplash i just mark the forums read alot.

Agamemnon
January 17th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I as well, which is why I don't want them to be plagued by users who don't use common sense or don't read before hand.

rossmum
January 17th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I as well, which is why I don't want them to be plagued by users who don't use common sense or don't read before hand.
Agreed on all counts.

stalker 4589
February 24th, 2007, 08:00 PM
these forums have a good E-atmosphere. most forums are full of stuck up people to be honest and alot of the time people just type in shorthand on forums.

i read gbx but dont post and i know very little of modding but im learning. and a friendly community is better to learn in

Agamemnon
February 24th, 2007, 08:42 PM
friendly =/= random new members who want to be CMT's lapdog and post any and every retarded and far-fetched idea known to man in fifty different threads. Also, short hand my ass; if you're going to post on a forum you use some proper grammar; this isn't AIM.

EDIT: Whoah, I just noticed that this is stickied

rossmum
February 24th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Shorthand belongs in chat programs. Proper spelling, grammar and overall language belongs in a forum. No exceptions.

Stealth
February 24th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Ya, I think some of us need spell checkers in our heads, like me...

Agamemnon
February 24th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Ya, I think some of us need spell checkers in our heads, like me...
http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/

Stealth
February 24th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I said in our heads, but that works.

demonmaster3k
February 24th, 2007, 10:07 PM
populated by kids saying, "This idea would be awesome! Who wants to make it?"
oh is that ever true, noobs do flood the board with "ideas" (yea i know i'm one to speak... not having released a public mod yet) seriously, get some max skills and learn to do it yourselfs, besides asking ppls is pathettic

Btd69
February 25th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Someone do my work for me. Prepared to sacrifice Neuro.

rossmum
February 25th, 2007, 12:14 AM
oh is that ever true, noobs do flood the board with "ideas" (yea i know i'm one to speak... not having released a public mod yet) seriously, get some max skills and learn to do it yourselfs, besides asking ppls is pathettic
Yeah, except you're capable of making your own stuff.

Dole
February 25th, 2007, 07:09 PM
1. alot of the time people just type in shorthand on forums.
2. and a friendly community is better to learn in
1. Where? People don't even use shorthand on IMDb forums, the most primitive forums on the internet.
2. In real life, a friendly community is better to learn in. On the internet, where people can't keep track of you and aren't there to grab you when you fall, it's better if they just bust your ass.

Shorthand belongs in chat programs.
Bull.
I use real grammar, punctuation, and spelling on AIM and MSNM. If your life is so rushed that you can only save time by being "1 oF dOsE PpL hOo tAwKs LyK dIs," then you really shouldn't be wasting your valuable time on the computer.

rossmum
February 25th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I usually omit capitals and some punctuation in IM programs simply because I can't be bothered and don't see why I'd need perfect spelling and grammar. I never shrtn wrds lyk dis or deliberately misspell words or use any of that "u", "ur", "mi" bullshit either.

Pooky
February 25th, 2007, 11:57 PM
lol wtf r u talkn about nub i pwn

Corgy
February 25th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Shorthand should only be used on mobile phones. Because mobile phone keypads are fucking bitches.

And only fags use [tags].

rossmum
February 26th, 2007, 12:03 AM
That and the fact you do, in fact, have quite a stingy limit to the number of characters you can use in an SMS. Most forums don't do that, and even those that do have large enough limits for the average post to come in well under the designated number.

Pooky
February 26th, 2007, 12:07 AM
My cell phone has a 600 character limit...

typing proper is no issue

rossmum
February 26th, 2007, 12:18 AM
...I hate you people and your modern phones. :|

rossmum
February 26th, 2007, 12:21 AM
why would you write "mi" instead of "my" anyway?

and on the other end of the hard to read spectrum \/ 637 7|-|15 57\/|=11111!!313\/3|\|7y!!

>.>
God only knows, it's mainly teenage girls that do it but I've seen guys do it too.

Pooky
February 26th, 2007, 12:25 AM
I can't stand boi. Other ones don't bother me, just that one.

stalker 4589
February 27th, 2007, 07:13 PM
sk8er boi thats the worst

Mr Buckshot
March 5th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Hey, I have an idea! Let's make potato guns in Halo CE!

stalker 4589
March 13th, 2007, 11:39 PM
id like to see that hahaha. i can only imagin.

Neuro Guro
March 16th, 2007, 10:18 PM
No. There isn't a Ghost's Ghetto.

Are you Gay? Of Course Not.™