PDA

View Full Version : [3DS MAX/Rendering] Halo 2 Master Chief

Roostervier
October 20th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Well, this is a render-ready chief. I got bored, and made the materials which I have made a thousand times over again since I upgraded my computer and it required reformatting. Anyway, this actually uses a model that was in CE, I imported it using TheGhost's .gbxmodel importer. I just ik-rigged it so it acted more like a biped you'd create normally.

So, Thanks to:

TheGhost - .GBXModel Importer
Darco - Teaching me how to make materials, long ago

Download:

http://files.filefront.com/chief+ikrigzip/;8840023;/fileinfo.html

Example of a simple render with no lighting (AR not included =p):
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/444/chiefarnf1.jpg

Color changing tut:
Press M.
Select H2_mc_body
Where you see Diffuse color, select the RGB Multiply
Click Composite
The first slot is not meant to be touched. The second slot is the primary color slot. The third slot is the secondary color slot.
When you click one of the 2 slots, click Mask.
Click Composite
There is an assortment of colors already pre-made. All you have to do is uncheck the current color and check the one you want.
Congratulations, you have now changed the armor's color!

z13dggy
October 26th, 2007, 09:32 AM
nice job

OmegaDragon
October 26th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Sweetness. It fits perfect for my needs.
+rep for you

Snowy
October 28th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Great work! :)

johnnyblaz20
October 28th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Good Job

I like alot.

Captain Pakundo
October 29th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Best thing aside from sliced bread...:omfg:

Edit: OFCOURSE +rep!!! Great really... I'm wordless...

SL1CK1337
October 29th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Very nice +rep

Bastinka
October 29th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Either it's my colorblindness messing me up, or does the master chief look gold?

PenGuin1362
October 30th, 2007, 09:01 AM
congratulations you accomplished what most did 2 years ago, except with worse bumpmaps.

odseraphim
October 30th, 2007, 02:41 PM
congratulations you accomplished what most did 2 years ago, except with worse bumpmaps.
I guess this will pass as your weekly "look at me, acting like a douche" post, right?

I think it looks nice, it serves a purpose, and it nowhere near a horrible representation of MC, bumpmaps or otherwise.

Roostervier
October 30th, 2007, 04:46 PM
congratulations you accomplished what most did 2 years ago, except with worse bumpmaps.The bump maps are directly from in game (e.g. not the active camo bump)... how are the bumps any worse? It's probably my shoddy lighting. Plus, I released this because Con suggested it and I thought it might help someone out that knows absolutely nothing about materials in 3ds max.

PenGuin1362
October 30th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I guess this will pass as your weekly "look at me, acting like a douche" post, right?

I think it looks nice, it serves a purpose, and it nowhere near a horrible representation of MC, bumpmaps or otherwise.

two things wrong with that. the first, i don't do this weekly. it usually happens more frequently. the second, i never said it was horrible i said he's 2 years late.

it is not a horrible representation at all. the rig seems decent however the materials seem as good as they are in halo 2. aka not that good.

The bump maps are directly from in game

there's your problem. there are a few artists at halomods (yes halomods -_-), who have made spectacular materials, that will gladly assist anyone with a good interest in such things. if you don't care that much there are about 30 downloads available on halomaps.org (or at least there was last time i checked) with the same materials and rig. So basically, this is nothing special.

Pyong Kawaguchi
October 31st, 2007, 05:15 PM
i try to load this but it is asking for hte following, btw im using max7

biped.dlc
sceneeffectloader.dlu
and some built in file that it doessnt name
does anoyne have an idea?
or should i get max8?

Roostervier
October 31st, 2007, 05:22 PM
You need 3ds max 8. Also, this rig's purpose it to look mostly in-game. I know I could have made a custom bump (which I suck at D: ) and made it better, but that wasn't the intention.

Pyong Kawaguchi
October 31st, 2007, 05:26 PM
okay thats all i needed to know thank you :) +rep

Akir
November 24th, 2007, 08:54 AM
How would I go about making the model remove its helmet?

Vicky
November 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Make it animate, check out the (auto)key and the frame slider at the bottom.

Although you'd probably only be able to take off his head (lol), i don't think there's a head under the helmet...

Ok, it has joints... you can still do this though

http://i17.tinypic.com/6pqbwv4.gif

Tweek
November 24th, 2007, 12:08 PM

by reading tutorials on your 3d package, assuming you're not a TOTAL newbie to the application, and get tutorialised.

if you are a total noob to it, you would have to learn how to manipulate viewports, how you use the transfprm tools and loads of other stuff.
animating isnt simple. you're not going to be able to do it with 2 hours of messing around.

welcome to the forums, and pay attention to how new people get punished, tortured, raped, and murdered. try to avoid making the same mistakes as so many have made here, and you might survive.
if you don't, you will be gone soon enough.

Roostervier
November 24th, 2007, 01:51 PM
How would I go about making the model remove its helmet?You'd have to model head geometry under the helmet, add it to the skin modifier, remove the helmet from the skin modifier, give the helmet a node that has a link constraint or something like that to the head, and then animate it off. =p

johnnyblaz20
November 24th, 2007, 03:23 PM

The helmet does not come off, It's arc welded on. lol.

Roostervier
November 24th, 2007, 03:58 PM
What? The chief can take his helmet off in the halo universe. He's done it plenty of times. You just can't here because there is no head model.

Pooky
November 25th, 2007, 01:39 PM
The helmet does not come off, It's arc welded on. lol.

You must not have played the end of Halo 1 or the beginning of Halo 2 :eyesroll:

johnnyblaz20
November 25th, 2007, 04:13 PM
You must not have played the end of Halo 1 or the beginning of Halo 2 :eyesroll:

I was just talking about this model. I'm 100% sure there is not a face under that helmet.

Hurrvish
November 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I thought Choking Victim found that out and posted a video about it http://forums.explosm.net/images/smilies/gsindifferent.gif

Syuusuke
November 25th, 2007, 06:46 PM
That was in the Halo 3 Beta.

demonmaster3k
December 1st, 2007, 08:47 AM
by reading tutorials on your 3d package, assuming you're not a TOTAL newbie to the application, and get tutorialised.

if you are a total noob to it, you would have to learn how to manipulate viewports, how you use the transfprm tools and loads of other stuff.
animating isnt simple. you're not going to be able to do it with 2 hours of messing around.

welcome to the forums, and pay attention to how new people get punished, tortured, raped, and murdered. try to avoid making the same mistakes as so many have made here, and you might survive.
if you don't, you will be gone soon enough.
ouch that's kinda harsh tweek...
but true