PDA

View Full Version : Fires in SD County

Skiiran
October 22nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
Dude, it's pretty fucked up down here, ash and smoke everywhere. Anyone else around here? I'm over near the coast, in the only area that really ISN'T on fire.

SnaFuBAR
October 22nd, 2007, 02:26 PM
ash falling like fine snow in my city. sky is orange. at least it's not as bad as two years ago. i had to use the windshield wipers to keep the ash down.

Tweek
October 22nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
be sure to drink plenty of fluids!

Hotrod
October 22nd, 2007, 05:01 PM
So, what is SD county?

Tweek
October 22nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
super dumbass country.

(south dakota?)

iunno

Archon23
October 22nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
San Diego County?

Syuusuke
October 22nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
A quick search for "SD County fire" in google:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/10/22/state/n102418D66.DTL

Con
October 22nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
oshi

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/fires/weekoffire/images/mainimage4.jpg

DrunkenSamus
October 22nd, 2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah, Cali has a reputation for having weird weather. But its weird once you think about it. It's a coastal desert...coastline, huge mountain chains, deserts, and volcanoes to the north.

Limited
October 22nd, 2007, 07:19 PM
oshi

<pic>
Omg...Any one got any more news, hopefully everyone will get out ok.

legionaire45
October 22nd, 2007, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I've been having a fun time breathing today.

The air quality was so bad today that we didn't have our PE class at school today. My eyes hurt =<.

Flyboy
October 22nd, 2007, 07:45 PM
oshi

It probably makes me a fucked up bastard, but I lol'd. Anyway, this is pretty common for the area, one comes along every few years, five at most.

SnaFuBAR
October 22nd, 2007, 07:49 PM
You seem to find a lot of tragedy funny.

Flyboy
October 22nd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Yep.

Bodzilla
October 22nd, 2007, 09:33 PM
lol, California has alot of similaritys to australia in some ways.

about a month ago we had fires like that about 50 k's from here. the fires got that Close that some peoples back fence's got caught on fire.

Fires need to happen regulary so the dead leaves, twigs ect dont build up over time causeing a normal fire to turn into an Inferno.

Skiiran
October 22nd, 2007, 09:47 PM
265,000 people fleeing.

Really, it kind of pisses me off that they're focusing more on getting people from already-dead areas OUT than actually, you know, FIRE FIGHTING. I mean, we have the National Guard out here for fuck's sake, forget the people already and drop the hammer on those mo'fo flames. Dammit.

We're under voluntary evacuation here. I keep expecting to have to explain taking my 360, since it's the largest investment I've made in 2 years and no way in Hell is Beelzebub taking it to his swampy abyss, but I haven't had to so far.

Skiiran
October 22nd, 2007, 10:57 PM
San Marcos fire is apparently contained. Also, I want to volunteer but NPR says the only way to is to supply food. Fuck that, I want to shoot water over fires, although admittedly no one in my family has training for it.

EDIT:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=114250687465160386813.00043d08ac31fe3357571
Three fires 100&#37; contained. Witch and Harris fires still nowhere near that, fire reported right near where I am, Del Mar mandatory evacuations expanded all the way to the coast.

jngrow
October 23rd, 2007, 12:56 AM
oakland hills fire was oct 19, 1991. maybe we're overdue skiiran? Wait.. huh?

Kybo_Ren
October 23rd, 2007, 04:12 AM
House has been under mandatory evac since 9AM last morning. Still up so far, may not be when I wake up.
I live RIGHT where the 56 and 15 meet.

Skiiran
October 23rd, 2007, 01:18 PM
It is worth noting that I am carrying around a cane.

Because if I am going to evacuate, then dammit, I'm going to evacuate with style.

Coastguard is bringing in 6 C-130s for retardant drops. FEMA and government resources also pouring in. Also, Qualcomm stadium is the place to party, apparently.

Kybo_Ren
October 23rd, 2007, 04:23 PM
Yeah Qualcomm is where it's at. Plus it currently has the governor and the head of FEMA

Emmzee
October 23rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
I don't get why the land is so expensive in California, if it's so prone to huge out-of-control fires, mudslides, and earthquakes.

Those real estate people must use mind control or something.

Kybo_Ren
October 23rd, 2007, 04:32 PM
What's that, you don't live in California?
Oh, OK. You just don't understand. I would say, "Come visit me in San Diego some time and I'll show you why everyone wants to live here", but then I realized I definitely wouldn't.
It's fine with me; you're just one person off the 200 million who want to move here.

Emmzee
October 23rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
What's that, you don't live in California?
Oh, OK. You just don't understand. I would say, "Come visit me in San Diego some time and I'll show you why everyone wants to live here", but then I realized I definitely wouldn't.
It's fine with me; you're just one person off the 200 million who want to move here.
Seriously. Please tell me why people want to move to California. I lived there for the first eight years of my life and hated it. Looking back, The East Coast is 500 times better. It's not crowded, no smog (except in the mountains, and that's Tennessee's fault), everything is cheaper.

So please tell me why people want to live in California.

Kybo_Ren
October 23rd, 2007, 05:09 PM
Seriously. Please tell me why people want to move to California. I lived there for the first eight years of my life and hated it. Looking back, The East Coast is 500 times better. It's not crowded, no smog (except in the mountains, and that's Tennessee's fault), everything is cheaper.

Rofl. Wow, your first eight years! Great!
Most places aren't very smoggy; just LA county and the basin. Even then it's really more akin to a New York that's never cold.

Don't worry -- I won't even try to persuade you. If you want to live on the Atlantic Coast, go for it! We have enough people trying to move here already.

Skiiran
October 23rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
It is two reasons:

-1. We make ALL of your food and thus get it on the cheap.
-2. No matter how bad fires are it's better than being sixty feet underwater BEFORE a hurricane hits and breeding mosquitoes out the arse. :eng101:

All evacuations, voluntary or otherwise, were lifted here. I can't help but think that it'll all be over before we know it.

Emmzee
October 23rd, 2007, 06:17 PM
It is two reasons:

-1. We make ALL of your food and thus get it on the cheap.
-2. No matter how bad fires are it's better than being sixty feet underwater BEFORE a hurricane hits and breeding mosquitoes out the arse. :eng101:

All evacuations, voluntary or otherwise, were lifted here. I can't help but think that it'll all be over before we know it.
1. We've got plenty of food here. You can take your California oranges and stick them up your arse.
2. That's only the coast. Where I live, we never get floods. And for mosquitoes, you're just a total pussy and not used to a little West Nile Virus.

Kybo_Ren
October 23rd, 2007, 06:40 PM
1. We've got plenty of food here. You can take your California oranges and stick them up your arse.
2. That's only the coast. Where I live, we never get floods. And for mosquitoes, you're just a total pussy and not used to a little West Nile Virus.
And you're just a total faggot :eng101:

Skiiran
October 23rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
Obviously where you live is PUSSYTOWN. Plus also our food means we're, what, the ninth largest economy in the world? Yeah, take that Mr. gravelly-landscape-and-cotton-man.

Emmzee
October 23rd, 2007, 06:59 PM
Obviously where you live is PUSSYTOWN. Plus also our food means we're, what, the ninth largest economy in the world? Yeah, take that Mr. gravelly-landscape-and-cotton-man.
Gravelly landscape?

I'm sorry, you have my state confused for the Midwest.
http://www.ridgehaven.org/images/panorama.JPG
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/scenic-drive-in-north-carolina-blue-ridge-parkway-ga-4.jpg
I doubt this looks "gravelly."

My state is beautiful. You're just prejudiced against the Southeast.

Skiiran
October 23rd, 2007, 08:24 PM
Gravelly landscape?

I'm sorry, you have my state confused for the Midwest.
http://www.ridgehaven.org/images/panorama.JPG
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/scenic-drive-in-north-carolina-blue-ridge-parkway-ga-4.jpg
I doubt this looks "gravelly."

My state is beautiful. You're just prejudiced against the Southeast.
Yes. Not the people, the land. I hate that damn fresh air and land. *shakes fist*

Anton
October 23rd, 2007, 08:26 PM
I live just off the Kentucky-Virginia-Tennessee line. (Kentucky Side) Kind of weird, but it is DEF. Beautiful out here. Quiet too!

P.S. Came from VG./TN. So no Incest jokes. xD

Xetsuei
October 23rd, 2007, 08:44 PM
http://varifrank.com/archives/2007/10/dc10_airtankers.php

Awesome.

Zeph
October 23rd, 2007, 09:30 PM

The worst it gets is Eastman here where I live in TN, and believe me when I say it's contained to the city. Dont believe me? I can take you to each pass where the stuff can get out and you'll smell the difference.

Also, you do know it's called the smokey mountains and blue ridge parkway because there's natural fog formed all the time and it distorts the atmosphere to make the mountains look blue right? There's no smog. We have atmospheric and water testing reports come out every two months.

TN's da best

Really, it kind of pisses me off that they're focusing more on getting people from already-dead areas OUT than actually, you know, FIRE FIGHTING. I mean, we have the National Guard out here for fuck's sake, forget the people already and drop the hammer on those mo'fo flames. Dammit.
Errr, why in hell do you think they're evacuating people? They're fighting the fires and it's uncontainable. You can only do so much in a woodland area with strong gusts of wind that can blow embers upwards of half a mile.

Skiiran
October 24th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Errr, why in hell do you think they're evacuating people? They're fighting the fires and it's uncontainable. You can only do so much in a woodland area with strong gusts of wind that can blow embers upwards of half a mile.
What I meant was if the National Guard is there to evacuate people, then WHY are firefighters doing it?

rossmum
October 24th, 2007, 06:47 AM
ash falling like fine snow in my city. sky is orange. at least it's not as bad as two years ago. i had to use the windshield wipers to keep the ash down.
Sounds like my place all summer, every summer. We're backed against the sea here and my actual street is walled in on 3 sides by bush-smothered mountains and on the other by the main north-south railway line, main road within the area, and then Brisbane Water beyond that (huge inlet). Last year, we could just about see the fires over the ridgeline and when we went up to Kariong (literally right on top of us), the whole lot was burnt right up to the second ridge back from ours. The year before, it was even worse... and the 50-degree heat (celcius), strong winds, and lack of rain sure didn't fucking help.

oshi

Fuck. Looks like a photo my friend Daniel took of his street ablaze two years ago, just before he moved interstate... the entire ridge was alight, about 500m from his house, and it was a wall of fire exactly like that. Keep in mind that he only lives about 10km from me by road (probably more like 7 as the crow flies)... virtually every day of summer you can smell/see smoke billowing out from somewhere, whether it's natural or some fuckwad thought it'd be cool to burn down half the fucking city. The sky gets such a deep crimson due to the light filtering through the smoke that it just looks otherworldly... I remember during a pretty bad fire a little ways past Kariong, I was at school (about 5km from the ridge Kariong is on, probably 15 from the fire, tops) and it was 11AM, yet it was boiling hot and there were long, red-orange shadows cast across everything like it was sunset on crack. The air really reeked of burning eucalyptus trees, and there was all manners of shit falling out of the sky. And of course, most of our native plants are either very dry or eucalypts... meaning they just make it even worse. Plants with oil-filled leaves in the middle of bushfire season just ain't cool.

Kybo_Ren
October 25th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Hey Emmzee,
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/philadelphia_unattractive1_dc

That is all

Emmzee
October 25th, 2007, 05:12 PM
The worst it gets is Eastman here where I live in TN, and believe me when I say it's contained to the city. Dont believe me? I can take you to each pass where the stuff can get out and you'll smell the difference.

Also, you do know it's called the smokey mountains and blue ridge parkway because there's natural fog formed all the time and it distorts the atmosphere to make the mountains look blue right? There's no smog. We have atmospheric and water testing reports come out every two months.

Tennessee isn't smoggy, it's the adjacent states. TN likes to burn lots of coal, and the wind carries it over here, where it's our problem.

Hey Emmzee,
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/philadelphia_unattractive1_dc

That is all
I don't get it!

Will Smith's from there!

STLRamsFan
October 25th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I feel bad for the people out in CA, no one deserves that. Hopefully one day we will have at least something to keep the fires in check a bit better.

Skiiran
October 25th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I feel bad for the people out in CA, no one deserves that. Hopefully one day we will have at least something to keep the fires in check a bit better.
Like less not-having-rain.

Or Chocolate Rain. Or Tay Zonday.