PDA

View Full Version : level structure glitch

Rob Oplawar
January 16th, 2007, 11:19 AM
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n268/Rob_Oplawar/error.jpg

D'oh!

I built it in 3ds 9, exported it with the ghost's jms exporter, structured it with tool, and ran radiosity with tool. Along the way I got 0 errors.

I haven't made portals yet, but I've had levels w/out portals before, and they never did this. What's the deal? How do I fix this when it won't tell me what the error is?

-Rob

PenGuin1362
January 16th, 2007, 12:03 PM
D'oh!

I built it in 3ds 9, exported it with the ghost's jms exporter, structured it with tool, and ran radiosity with tool. Along the way I got 0 errors.

-Rob

my guess would be that, so far i haven't seen anyone export a map with 9 because it's not supposed to support the plugins.

BobtheGreatII
January 16th, 2007, 12:35 PM
my guess would be that, so far i haven't seen anyone export a map with 9 because it's not supposed to support the plugins.

I have. All you have to do is turn off the feature that makes it two sided. Then either use newest chimp or The Ghost's .JMS exporter. Easy as that. If in Display/Display Properties you toggle Backface Cull ON you will get the Max8 type disaply where that face will not be drawn.

PenGuin1362
January 16th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I have. All you have to do is turn off the feature that makes it two sided. Then either use newest chimp or The Ghost's .JMS exporter. Easy as that. If in Display/Display Properties you toggle Backface Cull ON you will get the Max8 type disaply where that face will not be drawn.

oh...well in that case what mech said

jcap
January 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM
That looks like the error caused by the new nVidia line of cards...

However, if he his PC specs are still what they were when he put them in when they worked, then it shouldn't be a problem with his graphics card.

Rob Oplawar
January 17th, 2007, 06:11 PM
No, it's not a problem with my graphics card, and it's not a problem with max, either. I tested it by exporting a couple of other bsps, and they all work just fine. I'll check the backface cull thing, and I'll post back if that works.

-Rob

Update:
Tried it, didn't work. But it's come to my attention that 70,000 polygons is awfully high when there are no portals, so I'm adding those in. Fingers crossed.
-Rob

Update:
Sorta helped- it made it so I could only see some of the messed up triangles at any given time- just the ones in the visible clusters. But dividing it into clusters added just enough lightmap bitmaps to make the bsp too large to compile. This just isn't working for me. Sigh. Somebody needs to find a way to get H2 Vista to make solo maps- then it will work.
-Rob

Update:
Right, for anyone who might still look at this thread, turns out I messed up and seriously overestimated the Halo engine's capabilities. The engine is very limiting in terms of polygon count, so it's just not possible to make a bsp with the kind of detail you see in games today. Now I get to go back and optimize the hell out of my map.
-Rob