PDA

View Full Version : WIP [AR]_Homeworld

PopeAK49
October 23rd, 2007, 09:35 PM
Well since i joined a HCE clan i guess they found out i made maps so they wanted me to make a special map for them. So i agreed.

Here is a picture of the middle structure.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u319/dapimppope/BUNKER-2.png

Bunkers that lead to these Wall structure thingys[no model yet]

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u319/dapimppope/BUNKER-1.png

A waterfall from the blue base thats still being worked on.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u319/dapimppope/waterfall-2.png

i will put up more pics later.

supersniper
October 23rd, 2007, 09:36 PM
It looks pretty interesting. I can't wait to see those pics.

Pooky
October 23rd, 2007, 09:51 PM
Wow, those look pretty cool. I bet this is going to be an awesome map :D

LlamaMaster
October 23rd, 2007, 10:07 PM
Awesome buildings dude! +rep to you. :)

HDoan
October 23rd, 2007, 10:09 PM
Looks great so far but normally when clans ask members to make special maps for them its usually a nooby clan that wants scarabs and such. Good luck on the map anyway.

PopeAK49
October 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
well in this clan most of them were use to the unreal editor, and were giving me crap about my uvs, and not adding static grass, but im thinking of adding static grass in this map if it doesnt lag too much..Kenny was going to send me his scenery models of the static grass when he gets online (year later).

Sever
October 23rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
Looks nice. A bit more industrial, protruding, and bulky than most Forerunner architecture, but stylized enough to work.

Con
October 23rd, 2007, 10:24 PM
Wow, by far the best work I've ever seen from a new member. Simply amazing stuff, +rep. I hope you stay and make some more :)

PopeAK49
October 23rd, 2007, 10:38 PM
been modeling since the begining of january, 2007

DaneO'Roo
October 24th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Now this is someone who has potential.

Great work, keep going.

Tweek
October 24th, 2007, 04:57 AM
: /

it's all extruded/inset stuff.

the fact that you've got loads of it makes it look "detailed", when it's just not. i give this a fail, but good attempt.

what thios DOES show me though, is you get the basics of what makes a good model though, and that means alot more than any model anyone makes.

gay comparison ahead:
modelling is like a language, and a language has grammar, once you understand the grammar of it, you can make proper sentances.

you just got the very basics of the grammar, learn it completely, and then expand your dictionary.
then you can start writing a book.

-end comparison-

i remmember when iw as a the extrude for life phase.
right after that comes a good leap forward.

odseraphim
October 24th, 2007, 06:25 AM
i give this a fail, but good attempt.
Says the person with one of the most detailed representations of extrusions and insets I've seen in his avatar.

Tweek, I understand you are a modeling "god" or whatever, but you are starting to become a VG in that aspect. Leave constructive criticism, or don't leave criticism. The line between helping someone and nagging someone about their inabilities is starting to blur..

Modeling with detail is a heck-of-a-lot better than modeling without it. Eventually, he'll learn that detail can just be put in the texture, and how to add the appearance of non-existent polys with normal mapping, and how to over-model stuff just like you :lol: j/k

Overall, I'm impressed with his work, especially that waterfall, it all has potential, but texture detail > modeling detail, always.

Mass
October 24th, 2007, 06:48 AM
looks good but like tweek said, you still haven't made the leap ot of box modeling. Anyway, credit your inspiration next time. ;)

MNC
October 24th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Loving it so far. Especially the structure.

OmegaDragon
October 24th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Looks great so far, make sure you texture it good, or else it will look like crap.

FRain
October 24th, 2007, 08:52 AM

i give this a fail, but good attempt.

So you're giving a map a fail, just because he doesn't model in details the same way you do? It still looks damn good, but just because he didnt model it your way specifically 100% accurate, its a failure? Wow, what the hell went to this community? I agree that it's mainly boxes/extrudes/insets, but it still looks good.

Like Seraphim said, leave constructive crit, or don't be a Veegie where you just bash anything that isnt done your way.

Anyways, looks pretty good.

PopeAK49
October 24th, 2007, 09:24 AM
i understand what tweak said and i respect that..I was just fiddling with the tools around in 3ds yesterday when i found this kool one where you can model destroyed looking things easier(probably not a big deal to you guys), but im just going to fiddle around to find what i can use to model even beter.

just like how my friend lil duce primo said my bunker thingy did not match anything forerunner and was just a box with fins. (I guess i have to kinda agree), but with great critism comes great improvement later on.

^ o and i also used the bridging tool.lol

Apoc4lypse
October 24th, 2007, 04:02 PM
hmm very nice, idk exactly what tweek is talking about but I like it. Although most of what you have done doesn't have a purpose yet, doesn't mean it consists of just a bunch random extrudes/intrudes.

/ramble start

The first structure does a very good job at resembling forerunner architecture, and I hate to say it but the majority of forerunner architecture (at least in halo 1 it gets way more complex after halo 1) is exactly that, I'm not saying its all extrudes/intrudes, but its very geometrically shaped with mostly flat surfaces and angles. Forerunner architecture is incredibly simple because there is very few organic shapes seen in it, if there are there usually simulated using more geometric shapes. The part where forerunner architecture does get complicated is when it comes down to placement, balance and the usage of positive and negative spaces to create designs that are aesthetically pleasing. In halo 1 forerunner architecture had function but there was some of it that didn't exactly seem to make sense when it came to this.

Getting back to what you made, I would say you did a very good job in the first picture. All flat surfaces, even placement, there isn't anything that doesn't seem to flow nicely with the rest of the structure, as for function and sizing and the amount of extrudes/intrudes you have, I think you are off in this area however.

Some of your surfaces are too small, there doesn't seem to be enough negative space to even out the positive in some areas, and in others there seems to be way to much negative space. It is also not quite clear what the function of this structure would be theres only one entrance I can see and its placement doesn't quite agree with the rest of it, and then the towers on the top seem too small to have much of a purpose.

One thing I will say is that you did do too much extruding in some areas, you seem to have kind of strayed away and started making extrudes in places where they weren't necessary.

/ramble end

It looks nice though imo, some of it just doesn't quite make sense if its meant to be a forerunner structure though.

EDIT: It actually looks like with some modification it would fit into a map I started last summer and didn't finish (never added any bases or anything, only half finished terrain).

PopeAK49
October 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM
^o i forgot to say it was like my first forerunner structure thingy i made, i usually make ground, and cliff geometry, but thanks for the tips.

DOMINATOR
October 24th, 2007, 05:52 PM
get rid of the ramps on the middle structure. i would incorporate them some other way less noticeable. also all the seperate little aesthetic pieces crowd the top and are sort of useless. try to combine some stuff.

on the bunker not enough vertical movement going on. the blocks on the bottom need to draw your eye upward maybe connect them to the top ones or something. redo the doorway it looks very bland compared to the doorway on the middle structure.

bigger renders next time please

Ki11a_FTW
October 24th, 2007, 06:02 PM

the fact that you've got loads of it makes it look "detailed", when it's just not. i give this a fail, but good attempt.

Just because a model is made out of extrudes and all that doesnt mean is a good model, everyone might have a different concept.

I respect your opinion tweek

Btw i think it looks great

PopeAK49
October 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM
^im reduing the bunker since it doesnt really match with the "forerunner theme" its mostly human theme. since its really just a box with fins. lol

Limited
October 24th, 2007, 06:07 PM

what thios DOES show me though, is you get the basics of what makes a good model though, and that means alot more than any model anyone makes.

gay comparison ahead:
modelling is like a language, and a language has grammar, once you understand the grammar of it, you can make proper sentances.

you just got the very basics of the grammar, learn it completely, and then expand your dictionary.
then you can start writing a book.

-end comparison-

i remmember when iw as a the extrude for life phase.
right after that comes a good leap forward.
Sup, Firstly its "sentences". Secondly, who gives a shit how its made? Okay it might be the "noob" way, the long winded way but if the outcome looks good, it still looks good.

Yes you know your stuff tweak, but you seem to rant on about how its modelled, yes from your perspective you would because your a good modeller, in my eyes, and the eyes of his clan, if it looks good, its good.

Looks great, interested in seeing the overall outcome :)

Also your comparison is stupid as hell. You can learn grammar by just reading books and listening to people talking about it, because its knowledge, sure you can write too improve. With modelling reading a book and listening to some one else do it does not improve your technique, the only way to do that is to actually model. Why make some weird model when your "learning" when you could attempt a map and have a useful outcome?

DOMINATOR
October 24th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Also your comparison is stupid as hell. You can learn grammar by just reading books and listening to people talking about it, because its knowledge, sure you can write too improve. With modelling reading a book and listening to some one else do it does not improve your technique, the only way to do that is to actually model. Why make some weird model when your "learning" when you could attempt a map and have a useful outcome?

good post. although the best way to improve your artwork is to look at art.

Mass
October 24th, 2007, 07:32 PM
good post. although the best way to improve your artwork is to look at art.
You're both right, you need both, skills(experience)+inspiration(viewing other's work)=good art.

Sel
October 24th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Im liking this, cant wait to see it ingame.

PenGuin1362
October 24th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I like the concept but i agree with tweek here.

who gives a shit how its made? Okay it might be the "noob" way, the long winded way but if the outcome looks good, it still looks good.
total fail. How it's made is everything. if you do nothing but extrude you can't come relatively close to how good it could be with other methods. Having a nice concept is a great start but the execution of the concept is the key. extrusions don't even look good in the first place so you're wrong completely.

like i said, nice concept but needs better execution, try some other methods.

PopeAK49
October 24th, 2007, 10:00 PM
^im starting to like this critsm cause i just watched llamas modeling thingy and now i can start doing other things besides extrude. I dont care if its total fail ill learn how to model beter each time i release a good map.

Bodzilla
October 25th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Wow, by far the best work I've ever seen from a new member. Simply amazing stuff, +rep. I hope you stay and make some more :)
i am with that post.

Where u been hiding out bro, cause those are some Nice looking models u have here.
i utted *Oh fuck thats awesome* apon seeing it.

+rep and keep up the good work.

Rob Oplawar
October 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM
wow, a new member who didn't get flamed to hell in his first 5 posts. This community may be maturing after all.
I'm impressed with what I see- you're no Tweek and his crit has validity, but it's a damn good start, and you seem to be taking crit well. If you can make it look like that when all you know is extrusion, I can't wait to see what you come up with once you learn more advanced techniques.
Nice to meet you, Popegun.

Shadow5561
October 25th, 2007, 04:54 PM
wow, a new member who didn't get flamed to hell in his first 5 posts.

I didn't get flamed for my first posts. I got my first couple of flames and -reps at about post 40something posts but I've gained back my rep with +reps so I'm fine with that.

On topic: The models are overall very good and nicely detailed. I don't really know what's bad about them so I'll say I can't wait to see how the models look ingame.

PopeAK49
October 25th, 2007, 05:44 PM
^well its a hell of a good thing i know how to uvw and unwrap. otherwise i think you guys would hate me lolz.

Shadow5561
October 25th, 2007, 07:12 PM
^well its a hell of a good thing i know how to uvw and unwrap. otherwise i think you guys would hate me lolz.

You do not know how many flames you would get if you posted a crappy model. If you posted a crappy model you would be assumed a new member and the flames would increase ten fold.

SnaFuBAR
October 25th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I would turn your insides into a hat :)

Huero
October 25th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Would it be a fedora?
It better be a damn fedora.

PopeAK49
October 25th, 2007, 11:27 PM
^what the hell is a fedora, btw ill post a render of what the bases look like this weekend =].

Rob Oplawar
October 26th, 2007, 03:14 AM
a linux distro?

SnaFuBAR
October 26th, 2007, 03:26 AM
it would most definitely be a fedora.

Rob Oplawar
October 26th, 2007, 04:13 AM
wth is a fedora? /google

Pyong Kawaguchi
October 26th, 2007, 07:45 AM
wow, that looks really cool, it kinda looks like a mix between valhalla, highground and infinity

Con
October 26th, 2007, 10:03 AM
wth is a fedora? /google
http://www.withaswing.com/hats/fedora/fedora.gif

:awesome:

FRain
October 26th, 2007, 05:47 PM
:iia:

fedoras. :awesome:

n00b1n8R
October 26th, 2007, 06:15 PM
:bandwagon:

still, that's a cool hat.

PopeAK49
October 26th, 2007, 09:44 PM
zomg lets get on topic...if you guys need to ask questions do so..