PDA

View Full Version : [MAP] DMT Racing (Rally Cars)

malolo420
October 29th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Credits:
Malolo420 - Models, textures, bsp, vehicles, scripts
Andrew_b - Idea, tire texture, basic car model (made more detailed by me)

We planned to have you spawn in a vehicle but it didn't sync.
Fall of the cliff or into the river you get teleported back on track.
Theres a red, black, blue and green car.
Was going to (try) and make the textures better before I uploaded but my photoshop is fucked up (says "Unable to continue because of a hardware or system error. Sorry, but this error is unrecoverable." Could probably fix by restart or reinstallation but lightmaps have been running for 2 days on another map and don't want to stop it).
Only works on slayer and race.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4181/startui5.jpg
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6645/riverpb7.jpg
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1103/cliffac9.jpg
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4830/skysm3.jpg
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1123/jumpob8.jpg

Download: http://files.filefront.com/DMT+racing+FIXEDrar/;8921690;/fileinfo.html

LlamaMaster
October 29th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I'm loving that cartoony look. :)

Sever
October 29th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Not bad. Reminds me of one of my old pc racing games. Make about 12 more courses in different environments and whatnot.

Sunray
October 29th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I really like it. Interesting name for the oddball by the way ;). Yeah, nice work. The rally cars are good, and the ODST biped works well for the driver. I definitely like it; a fun map for LAN, although I may add weapons in devmode on LAN. It'll be interesting to see how much it's played.

Nugga117
October 29th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Reminds me of IceTrack in a way. Unfortunately I didn't get to finish a lap because my PC froze up about half-way through. But it was fun nonetheless. The countdown timer was cool.

{XF}Lowsy
October 29th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Cool stuff. I miss the race since playing Halo2... Gonna have to load this up in CE to check it out.

Sel
October 29th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Hmm, Im liking the idea. :D

Try to add multiple paths and shortcuts, every good race track needs those.

Play need for speed Hot pursuit 2 and youll know kinda what I mean.

Tweek
October 29th, 2007, 03:08 PM
the way it looks is quite awful, but in this case,it doesn't matter.
good effort.
custom textures/vehicles/scripts

looks like it could be quite fun playing this.

Pooky
October 29th, 2007, 03:39 PM
good effort.

took the words right out of my anu mouth.

Roostervier
October 29th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I think it's pretty creative actually. Seems like a fun map for race and (as mentioned) odd ball. :D

Teh Ganon
October 29th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I just played it. Im arranging a race later with friends on the cia server. The physics are near perfect, and the map is a bit better than I expected. Nice job!

malolo420
October 29th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Hmm, Im liking the idea. :D

Try to add multiple paths and shortcuts, every good race track needs those.

Play need for speed Hot pursuit 2 and youll know kinda what I mean.

Yeah I was planning to add multiple paths and shortcuts but never got around to it.

Andrew_b
October 29th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Hey im glad you guys like it. This map was born by me and malolo talking about Gran Tourismo 1 and 2 and how we had the best car (rally car by suzuki) And we decided to give it a shot.

This map is ment to look old...(somewhat)

kenney001
October 29th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Love it. Very origional and well done

a few suggestions for the next one:

1: clean up the soundtrack a little, some of us like to play with the volume up....
2: work on the scripting for the beginning. clientside, there are warthogs spawning inside each other and flying everywhere.
3: whats with the marines with paintball guns on the side?
4: make the ground shaders more cartoonish

other than that, its one of the best maps ive seen in a while.....good job.

malolo420
October 29th, 2007, 05:19 PM
lol it was supposed to have better textures, but I suck with photoshop and It wasn't working cause of lightmaps (which I had to stop after 2 days cause it was messing up my comp).

Edit:

1.If you turn music down in audio setup it will turn the music in the map down.
2.Yeah I didn't try client side so I didn't know about the hogs
3.We were going to make little kids throwing rocks as you drove by but I got lazy and just decided to add a guy with a paintball gun.
4.cartoonish as in detail map should be lower res? cause they were at first but one of the testers said I should raise the scale for it.

Andrew_b
October 29th, 2007, 05:34 PM
lol yeah my songs dont swear... :P (his songs do though...we both made the soundtrack)

Paintball guy is funny kinda :P

Gamerkd16
October 29th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I love the creativity. For the longest time I've wanted a race map that was off-roadish. Bacon's racetrack was the closest I could find, but that was too "neat". This has everything: tunnels, cliffs edge, jumps over water, ramps, custom cars, a scripted start, some music and sounds, and difference in elevation. I must say, well done. :cool:

The textures could use some work, like it has been said before. Also, possibly some weapon on the front of the cars to force people of the roads? Maybe a powered-down gauss turret? Also, by my opinion, those legalize signs are pretty stupid. Seeing that in every map you make. I think you were the one who made that entire marijuana secret room in that one map, right? Yeah, your maps are good. Don't ruin it with stuff like that.

Sure it looks cartoonish, but I think the gameplay is all that matters.

malolo420
October 29th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Just trying to spread the word, it would be legal here in canada but the USA threatened to shut down there borders so we didn't.

Con
October 29th, 2007, 05:50 PM
good effort.

I love rally racing. Anyone know if WRC is still on TV sometimes?

Ki11a_FTW
October 29th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Im playing this. Looks fun malolo

Pyong Kawaguchi
October 29th, 2007, 07:56 PM
fun fun :D

malolo420
October 29th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Fixing the duplicated cars now, I think its fixed but going to test it on client side first this time before I upload.

FRain
October 29th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Server's up.

Called Time for Racing on Chill Out to gather players before we play.

malolo420
October 30th, 2007, 02:21 AM
New download is up for the vehicle and player spawns.

edit: can someone upload to halomaps, my java is screwed so can't access the FTP and there standard FTP server is down or something.

n00b1n8R
October 30th, 2007, 03:23 AM
DL'd, i'll play it later tonight.

n00b1n8R
October 31st, 2007, 01:27 AM
the video's didn't spawn on race (and I'm not sure what the big deal is with oddball :S)

still, it's a fun map :)

I'd love some more offroad swampy rallys. and an ice map too!

Con
November 1st, 2007, 01:48 AM
What's with the invisible barrier...why wont it go away...am I missing something?

n00b1n8R
November 1st, 2007, 01:52 AM
on race?
I think cars are meant to spawn (but they don't) which let you pass the barrier. (play on oddball, they spawn on that)

Con
November 1st, 2007, 01:53 AM
Yeah, I had lots of vehicles.

malolo420
November 1st, 2007, 02:55 AM
Oh shit, I forgot about race vehicles. Instead of spawning them through scripts I did them normally.
How do I make them spawn on race, I don't get the netgame flag for them everytime I place them only 1 spawns.

Captain Pakundo
November 1st, 2007, 03:24 AM
This map is: GREAT!!!!
The PERFECT race track!
When my friend comes to my house we're gonna have a SIRIOUS LAN party :D
10/10 simply cause nothing's wrong, + ODST biped...

malolo420
November 1st, 2007, 04:03 AM
Well actually there is something wrong, vehicles don't spawn on race.

They spawn on new fixed now, I went back to scripts but I still need to test on client to see if the cars are duplicated.

n00b1n8R
November 1st, 2007, 04:12 AM
well please do :)

For the next map, I think it'd be awesome to have a snow race with ice and snow to limit how far you can see. that'd be awesome!

and a volcano map (under done and plenty of death hazards :3)

demonmaster3k
November 1st, 2007, 06:14 AM
well, you could change your globals.globals file with guerilla
or
you could script vehicles in

FRain
November 1st, 2007, 08:21 AM
well, you could change your globals.globals file with guerilla
or
you could script vehicles in

What?

Who are you answering?

PenGuin1362
November 1st, 2007, 04:06 PM
as tweek said it looks like crap. however, it's a pretty cool idea. first time i've seen someone follow through with a decent race map that DOESN'T have warthogs. looks like it might actually be fun.

Sasc
November 1st, 2007, 04:39 PM
A pretty fun map, I had fun playing it. And as Penguin said, it's good to see a custom vehicle, too.

Sel
November 3rd, 2007, 12:05 PM
It was fun, but the textures were repetitive, and it got kinda boring with the same ones through the whole map.

TeeKup
November 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM
good effort.

Agreed, its a shame I don't have my computer.

AAA
November 3rd, 2007, 02:55 PM
Problem with the fixed version and the old version of the map:

1. No cars spawn with the custom gametype of race.
2. Lags too much when walking around the cars. (Such as...Walk next to them to try and get in. Sometimes get stuck.)
---------Note: Only happens when I join someone's game---------
3. You don't give us infinite rocks so we can throw it at people?? It would make the map that more exciting...
4. Health is not affected by any weapon or obsticle except AR.
5. Textures get boring, make some gif image signs, mb? just to make the cruise a little more entertaining...
6. Take the damn Marijuana signs OFF You're fucking up a map that can be great.
7. Not a major problem, but maybe some variants of cars that don't have "DMT" on them?...

Other than that...Nice soundtrack and layout...

Limited
November 3rd, 2007, 09:46 PM
Nice map, was looking for a map which was fun just on lan and this one did the trick.

Improvements?
Maybe like AAA said animate the signs so they flick over to a new one or just show a funny animation
Add more terrain to the map to make it more than just drive straight and corner so like add obstacles and things.

Huero
November 4th, 2007, 12:18 AM
I downloaded and played this by myself, and I gotta say, it's just GREAT.
But I'd love more freedom.
There are way too many invisible walls when all I was trying to do was explore...
Maybe create walls that only collide with vehicles but not with bipeds?

Jay2645
November 4th, 2007, 01:29 AM
OK, my comments on the map:
1. Vehicle's collision was a tiny bit too big, make it smaller.
2. Make a weapon with no damage, just sound. Make the firing sound the Horn.
3. Get a new horn, something was off about that one.
4. Needs more secrets or pathways.
5. Replace your guys' signs with actual signs, maybe have one for Halo 3, one for Forza Motorsport 2, one for Coca-Cola, stuff like that.
6. Replace the invisible walls with something similar to the bubble shield, except make it so everything but vehicles could enter.
7. Replace the current loading screen with an overhead map of the racetrack, possibly with the racetrack's name at the bottom.
8. Get rid of the floating signs. Why are they there? It's much more fun to go OH SHI-.
9. If you fall, make a vehicle teleporter (Like Coldsnap's) that teleports you to where you were just before you fell. I didn't fall off (Came close though), so I can't tell if you did do this or if you made a deathbox.
10. Add something to the middle of the map, possibly a volcano or something, and have one of the shortcuts take a path through and/or over the volcano. Also, make a river of molten (Say like Dr. Evil) "Magma", which runs through the map and over the edge of the cliff. This could present an actual reason for some of the jumps.
11. Give the map a name. Maybe convert it to an island and name it "Voodoo Island", or stick in a volcano and name it "Mt. Wannahauchaloogie" (Finding Nemo, lol) or "Mt. Cinder".
12. Give the car windows a slight alpha map to them, so they kinda look like windows. Not enough to see inside, but enough that they don't look like Blue Squares.
13. Take the DMT off of the cars. We know who made the map, thanks. You could stick DMT in the License Plate, though. Maybe have each variant DMT-Onemembersnamehere or something.
14. Rotate the camera angle on the cars up about 15 degrees. It was pointing slightly down, and with the hills, it got a little annoying.

Everything else was dead-on. Good work, guys.

n00b1n8R
November 4th, 2007, 01:17 AM
5. Replace your guys' signs with actual signs, maybe have one for Halo 3, one for Forza Motorsport 2, one for Coca-Cola, stuff like that.
6. Replace the invisible walls with something similar to the bubble shield, except make it so everything but vehicles could enter.
7. Replace the current loading screen with an overhead map of the racetrack, possibly with the racetrack's name at the bottom.
8. Get rid of the floating signs. Why are they there? It's much more fun to go OH SHI-.
9. If you fall, make a vehicle teleporter (Like Coldsnap's) that teleports you to where you were just before you fell. I didn't fall off (Came close though), so I can't tell if you did do this or if you made a deathbox.
10. Add something to the middle of the map, possibly a volcano or something, and have one of the shortcuts take a path through and/or over the volcano. Also, make a river of molten (Say like Dr. Evil) "Magma", which runs through the map and over the edge of the cliff. This could present an actual reason for some of the jumps.
11. Give the map a name. Maybe convert it to an island and name it "Voodoo Island", or stick in a volcano and name it "Mt. Wannahauchaloogie" (Finding Nemo, lol) or "Mt. Cinder".
12. Give the car windows a slight alpha map to them, so they kinda look like windows. Not enough to see inside, but enough that they don't look like Blue Squares.
13. Take the DMT off of the cars. We know who made the map, thanks. You could stick DMT in the License Plate, though. Maybe have each variant DMT-Onemembersnamehere or something.
14. Rotate the camera angle on the cars up about 15 degrees. It was pointing slightly down, and with the hills, it got a little annoying.

2. yes

4. no, secret paths would ruin a racing map (much like the top of tower tele ruins yoyorast island)

5. I agree it's too much in-your-face, but no coke adds. do the community a favour and advertise nice maps (you could make it look like adds for holidays :3)

6. yes
7. yes
8. yes

9. yes but it should just put you down at the start of that section (or a little way back if you need to get some speed)

10. I think that's a cool idea for another map.

11. I lol'd at the nemo reference, but I think the name is fine. maybe for another map.

12. yes (transparent please). a good entering vehicle animation (with interior) would be cool, especially if you could make a scripted button (tab?) to switch to first person driving.

13. DMT on some signs around the map (along with w/e DMT stands for underneath) along with DMT on the license plate would be enough IMO :)

14: didn't really bother me. again, first person would be cool.

malolo420
November 7th, 2007, 08:00 AM

1. I don't think it was collision, I think it was physics. ( if your talking about when you flip and its hovering.

2. Why make a weapon with a horn if theres one on the car?

3. I just took first horn sound I found.

4. Was going to but didn't want to spend the time cause I have 2 other projects going on right now.

5. I dunno lol

6. answer # 4 cept take out the was going to.

7. Load screen is for another project and didn't feel like changing it.

8. Wanted to give it sort of an arcade racing feel.

9. There is vehicle teleporters for when you fall.

10. I just didn't want to spend to much time on the map, I have already been working on one project for months and want to get it done before I work on something else alot (except for the team project we started about a week ago).

11. I was going to make it like a big mountain range (with mountains around it), but decided not to spend the time. And didn't want to make it an island cause of yoyorast island.

12. I gave them a cubemap, but it doesn't show up very well, probably cause its almost flat.

13. Well in nascar they have advertisements on the car, and I didn't even make a liscense plate, or mirrors :P

14. I've never messed around with camera traks, but If I make a second one I will.

n00b1n8R
November 8th, 2007, 12:13 AM
fix the vehicle spawn on race D:

Pooky
November 8th, 2007, 03:48 PM
no the dancing cars are awesome D:

n00b1n8R
November 8th, 2007, 09:08 PM
they didn't spawn at all D:

malolo420
November 9th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Well when I fixed duplicated cars, I forgot about race, so I went back to scripts. But now I can't find out how to stop the cars from duplicating on client. I'm too busy working on other stuff right now to find out why, so If anyone wants to help fix it I'll give you credit, and rep.

SuperSunny
November 10th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I like the concept. I love it actually! It just needs a hell of a visual upgrade :P I'm sure you'll get to that, though.

Huero
November 10th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Are you going to make more of these?

malolo420
November 10th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Maybe but I dunno, I have alot of ideas I want to get done before I do.

Andrews making a street version though.

Huero
November 10th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Well, I'll say it again; please make it less restricted.

n00b1n8R
November 11th, 2007, 10:56 PM
What version of the map is the one on halomaps? (or did somebody else just upload it..)

malolo420
November 12th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Well I got someone to upload it a few weeks ago because my java is screwed, but I didn't realize the cars were duplicated on client.
So to answer your question, its the first one.

meepster
November 12th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Best race course ever. Any new vehicles next time, and your guys terrain is sick, Can you add one with like quads? I would ask to rip it and make my own private version but I bet my life that its protected.

Andrew_b
November 13th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Street version is restricted...Its a race track. your not going to drive into mountains in a middle of a race.

malolo420
November 13th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Althought if you want to, teleport with all DEV. I did and it was pretty fun, jumped off highest cliff and cleared 2 invisible walls.

Huero
November 13th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Andrew, I know it'll be restricted, but add more paths, please.

malolo420
November 14th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Yeah, make it longer too, your street course was very short.

And I know street racing doesn't have jumps like you said but its a game so make some streets like this http://www.bigfoto.com/sites/galery/san-francisco/san_francisco_23_streets.jpg, they should be fun.

Pooky
November 14th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I know street racing doesn't have jumps
unless its on a bombed out bridge

Corndogman
November 18th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I've played this map a few times and i must say its pretty fun. Its a good map to just drive around and relax in. It does have its flaws though. The cars really aren't that special in my opinion. they're very basic and most of the detail is on the textures. the BSP looks nice overall but its not super fancy. the textures look great though i must say, except in some parts where the grass blends with the dirt it looks F'ed up. and some times when i come out all retarded right when i join. what i mean is sometimes i spawn underground, etc. That was on the one uploaded to halomaps though so i don't know if thats fixed in this one.

Bad Waffle
November 18th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Ahh, this map brings me back to the good old days--i released a map like this a long, long time ago.
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=50082

Since the rapidshare link expired, anybody got the map? i'd like to play that one more time :D

malolo420
November 18th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Yeah, It has some flaws, ok lots. Andrew brought up the idea out of no where and we were in the middle of 2 other projects so didn't have the time to perfect it. This map only took us 2 to 3 days (if you don't include me having to learn how to make vehicles).

n00b1n8R
November 19th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Ahh, this map brings me back to the good old days--i released a map like this a long, long time ago.
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=50082

Since the rapidshare link expired, anybody got the map? i'd like to play that one more time :D

OH AWESOME :D

Do want!

Apoc4lypse
November 19th, 2007, 06:12 PM
XD ha I still have it... I have so many maps cuz I was saving em all to my external hard drive when ever I got a new one. (I used to reinstall a lot, and do reformats).

Even though I hate rapidshare...

here you go http://rapidshare.com/files/70918114/jump.rar.html

EDIT: I never got why you named it jump.. did you plan to add jumps or something?

Con
November 19th, 2007, 11:15 PM
That map was so fun WOL :D

There was something wrong with the bottom of the hill though, I forget what.

n00b1n8R
November 19th, 2007, 11:15 PM
filefront > rapidshit, but I'll take what I can get :D

Jay2645
November 24th, 2007, 02:16 AM
For those who hate RapidShit, and so WoL never has to lose this map again, here's Filefront's never-expiring download:
http://files.filefront.com/jumprar/;9110992;/fileinfo.html

n00b1n8R
November 24th, 2007, 02:26 AM
thanks (please firefox work :< )

NeiaG
November 25th, 2007, 12:29 AM
thank you. rapid share sucks. and this map is ALOT better than this one.

http://hce.halomaps.org/images/files/sm/2scree17637nshot00.jpg

http://hce.halomaps.org/images/files/sm/3scree17647nshot00.jpg

malolo420
November 25th, 2007, 09:01 PM
hahah wow, that map hurts my eyes.

Ki11a_FTW
November 27th, 2007, 01:10 PM
lol, i remember that map.

{SYS}sarge
November 27th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Credits:
Malolo420 - Models, textures, bsp, vehicles, scripts
Andrew_b - Idea, tire texture, basic car model (made more detailed by me)

We planned to have you spawn in a vehicle but it didn't sync.
Fall of the cliff or into the river you get teleported back on track.
Theres a red, black, blue and green car.
Was going to (try) and make the textures better before I uploaded but my photoshop is fucked up (says "Unable to continue because of a hardware or system error. Sorry, but this error is unrecoverable." Could probably fix by restart or reinstallation but lightmaps have been running for 2 days on another map and don't want to stop it).
Only works on slayer and race.
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4181/startui5.jpg
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6645/riverpb7.jpg
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1103/cliffac9.jpg
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4830/skysm3.jpg
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1123/jumpob8.jpg

Download: http://files.filefront.com/DMT+racing+FIXEDrar/;8921690;/fileinfo.html
i had troubles with this map
it wouldn't let me out of the starting line
also not even backward(ofcourse with car)
but then again i think it was the first DMT racing map

Andrew_b
November 28th, 2007, 01:40 AM
yeah...its a script. it doesnt let you move until the countdown is done.

Con
November 28th, 2007, 10:02 AM
there was no countdown, it wouldnt let me out

Cortexian
November 28th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Play on Slayer.

n00b1n8R
November 28th, 2007, 03:12 PM
or oddball.
and make sure your using the latest version (not the one on halomaps)

Con
November 28th, 2007, 11:30 PM
(not the one on halomaps)
oh