PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to my life.

Atty
November 1st, 2007, 09:08 PM
Well, we all do it sooner or later. We post that thread complaining about how bad our life is.

Us moderators are no different, so here it goes:

First off, because I know you'll be asking yourself this, my father left my mother when she got pregnant. I've never met him or talked to him and chances are I never will. So yeah, moving on.

Okay so a bunch of people have been curious as to what’s wrong with my mom, most of which have heard the story at one time or another (bits and pieces though) but now I'm just going to write it all out. If you care you can read on, if you don't, go to digg and amuse yourself.

So when I was 9 or 10 (it was 1999, I was both ages that year, I'm just that amazing) my mom was the head of the Communications Department at Florida Southern College. A professor walked into her office needing to use her stapler, he was quite angry, and slammed down on it which caused the shelf it was on to fall off the wall. My mom was working on her computer under the shelf (it was above her desk, sounds awkward but it makes sense if you see it in real life), it fell and she saw it coming and put up her arm to block it from hitting her head. A 145LB shelf fell directly onto her wrist smashing the nerves on it; this caused her to develop a disease called RSD.

Reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD) or complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) is a chronic, painful, and progressive neurological condition that affects skin, muscles, joints, and bones. The syndrome usually develops in an injured limb, such as a broken leg, or following surgery. However, many cases of RSD involve only a minor injury, such as a sprain. And in some cases, no precipitating event can be identified.

Pain may begin in one area or limb and then spread to other limbs. RSD/CRPS is characterized by various degrees of burning pain, excessive sweating, swelling, and sensitivity to touch. Symptoms of RSD/CRPS may recede for years and then reappear with a new injury.

She's had that condition and managed to live with it for 7 years, with various surgeries and procedures, semi alright. She was incapable of working too much but still held a full time job and pulled in enough money for us to live, although things were tough. About March of 2006 my grandfather had a heart attack and about a week after that my mom supposedly developed pneumonia, but due to being too busy taking care of my grandmother and stuff related to my grandfather she didn't take time off to rest and recuperate, this caused the infection in her lungs to spread to her blood stream.

I remember the night quite clearly, I went to bed and my mom was fine, I woke up the next morning to leave to go to my grandparents to help take care of my grandfather for the day (he had been released home pending his open heart surgery) and my mom was complaining she didn't feel well, stomach ache, etc (normal for her, she has a very intolerant immune system due to all of her treatments from the RSD.) I thought nothing of it and went about my day, although during that day I became worried because she never answered the phone or called, so instead of spending the night with my grandparents I grabbed a ride home in the afternoon.

When I got home I found my mom laying in the living room screaming for help, she was delirious, had suffered a seizure (according to the ER doctors), and was very dehydrated. I quickly got her water (something she was screaming for) but she become erratic, she didn't want help then screamed for it, she forgot who I was, she did very abnormal things. I quickly called my Grandmother out of fear to ask her what I should do and she told me to have her taken to the hospital. She was quickly rushed to Lakeland Regional where they told us different things, at first they thought she had spinal meningitis, then something else, and another thing, finally she lapsed into a coma. She spent a month in a coma, some days the doctors didn't think she'd make it, but she slowly got better. It turns out she developed a septic blood infection that caused all of this. When she came out of the coma she was still very sick and very confused due to all the medication, at one point she had no idea who I was (the worst part of it all, when my mom looked me dead in the eyes and didn't know who I was).

After about a year of that she was still not 100%, still very sick and weak although getting better. Around that time the RSD I talked about earlier moved into her legs with terrible side effects. Her leg became bloated and enlarged, she had trouble walking, and was in constant pain because of it. Along with her arm pain, she now had a leg the same way. Right now she's got RSD in her right wrist all the way to her shoulder, her right leg up to the thigh, and her left leg in the foot/calf. And it will probably spread through all her limbs entirely. She hasn't been able to work since she got sick in 2006, she's been denied Disability and has lost her health insurance to a bull shit law (I turned 18 and they dropped her.)

Currently there is no cure or working treatments for her RSD, the only thing she can do is take pain medication and deal with it. Although a new treatment has turned up, involving a medical induced coma and massive amounts of ketamine, which essentially resets her brain which is said to cure the disease, although it’s very expensive, it’s not guaranteed to work, and could end up in her death. Currently we can't even afford the treatment but it’s her only chance, so we are looking into it. But I'm not sure what will go on with that.

C&P'd from my personal blog.

There is a lot more thats going on right now but that just pretains to my mother, so yeah.

Any questions feel free to ask them.

Note: No sympathy required.

Con
November 1st, 2007, 09:11 PM
tl;dr

edit: read it :\
that really sucks...hope you can afford the treatment soon

Mass
November 1st, 2007, 09:17 PM
That sucks.

PlasbianX
November 1st, 2007, 09:23 PM
http://ourworld.cs.com/GebStar1988/Cheer+up+emo+kid.jpg

I have no soul

Hurrvish
November 1st, 2007, 09:25 PM
http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-sympathy.gif

Atty
November 1st, 2007, 09:25 PM
tl;dr

edit: read it :\
that really sucks...hope you can afford the treatment soonWell, we can right now. We'd have to cash out every bit of stock, use all our savings, sell one of the cars (probably mine, which was my moms before she got sick) and then we could. The only thing is its not guaranteed to work and it could just kill her. We can't justify losing everything for something that probably won't work, especially when it could end in my mothers death. Its a possibility but its not likely.

:emo image:

I have no soulYeah, I was waiting for this. Only thing is, I'm not emo. I'm quite happy in my day to day life and I manage to keep the lulz up on the 'net. Most people I meet would never guess my life was like that, they all think I'm an always happy person. And I am, I don't let this bother me. When a problem arises I deal with it but mourning over this all day doesn't help, so I don't.

PlasbianX
November 1st, 2007, 09:30 PM
Well, we can right now. We'd have to cash out every bit of stock, use all our savings, sell one of the cars (probably mine, which was my moms before she got sick) and then we could. The only thing is its not guaranteed to work and it could just kill her. We can't justify losing everything for something that probably won't work, especially when it could end in my mothers death. Its a possibility but its not likely.

Yeah, I was waiting for this. Only thing is, I'm not emo. I'm quite happy in my day to day life and I manage to keep the lulz up on the 'net. Most people I meet would never guess my life was like that, they all think I'm an always happy person. And I am, I don't let this bother me. When a problem arises I deal with it but mourning over this all day doesn't help, so I don't.

Im am sorry to hear about what happened with your mom though. I had a similar experience with my grandmother, inwhich she had a seizure, but it was cancer related. She passed away, and less than 3 weeks later my grandfather passed away. Then last year my uncle died of a heart attacked. 5 Days later his dad died, and 3 days after that his mom :/

Huero
November 1st, 2007, 10:06 PM
Hmm.
That sucks.
But why post it on the internet?
I didn't want to be sad.
Oh wait I'm not as I am soulless and don't give a shit about nayone but myself <:

Atty
November 1st, 2007, 10:08 PM
Because I can.

Now, the question at hand, which infraction seems appropriate for your idiocy? :)

Aerowyn
November 1st, 2007, 10:10 PM
Words can't describe my sympathy, Atty.

I would feel petty and self-absorbed posting anything lesser in here. Complaining about classes, or he-said-she-said issues would just seem stupid compared to the kinds of things you're going through right now.

I hope things improve.

LlamaMaster
November 1st, 2007, 10:18 PM
Life's a Bitch ain't it? I've gone through my fair share of pain in my life, as I'm sure most of us have. My mother is also sick with a rare disease, but i'm not going to go into detail on that. Sucks man, but your still awesome. :)

Rob Oplawar
November 1st, 2007, 10:29 PM
Hey, it's worse than anything I've ever been through, but I feel compelled to offer some words of encouragement, so,

it could be worse- your love of your life girlfriend who suddenly had to go to Florida to visit her sick mother but left you a tragically romantic note and gift didn't get suddenly and unexpectedly killed by a drunk driver. =/

Roostervier
November 1st, 2007, 10:30 PM
The disability issue sounds a lot like my dad's. We finally got it (luckily I'm younger than 18), but it took forever. I don't understand how the government can give it to people who could honestly still work but withhold it from others who simply can't. I Tbh, hope everything gets better.

Also, this reminds me actually of a lot of things that have happened to me, but it'd be totally wrong on all levels to say I know how you feel. In fact, that's just a wrong thing to say altogether in any situation. I really hope no one says it in this topic. <_<

Teroh
November 1st, 2007, 10:30 PM
Hey, it's worse than anything I've ever been through, but I feel compelled to offer some words of encouragement, so,

it could be worse- your love of your life girlfriend who suddenly had to go to Florida to visit her sick mother but left you a tragically romantic note and gift didn't get suddenly and unexpectedly killed by a drunk driver. =/
STREET SWEEPERS.

And on topic: Having a disabled parent is hard, I know, my dad has Parkinson's. I can see it gradually getting worse, and I expect sometime in the future he'll be in a wheelchair unless theres a cure. But you've done all you can Atty, and I'm sure your mother would be very proud.

DaneO'Roo
November 1st, 2007, 10:36 PM
Lol, I was going to do a thread almost like this for myself.

I feel your pain Atty :(

Pretty much had it hard my whole life, being a twin and having twin sisters under a single parent, my grandfather on my dads side having parkinsons, and dying 2 weeks before my sister elke was killed, my nan on my dads side was killed a year before that, and my dad never showed up to any of the funerals, and left my mum when we were born, molested my big sister before I was even born and at the moment I'm getting fucked over by the government and finding it hard to get a job.

But things all get well eventually if you stick your neck out and try. Just keep pushing.

rossmum
November 1st, 2007, 11:24 PM
Sucks. I almost lost my mum when I was 9 to a combination of my sister deciding conventional forms of birthing weren't good enough for her, right at the same time mum caught some random shit off my half-sister Candace, who had been touring the Andes. They actually told my dad that they didn't expect her to last the night, and she came so close to dying it wasn't funny (wait... that doesn't work). She's had trouble with all manners of shit since.

While we were visiting her one day, her mum (...my nanna) fell down the stairs near her ward and broke her ankle. She got a clot in her leg which went to her lungs, and she was in a drug-induced coma for weeks. They almost had to amputate her arm to get the clot out (I don't get it, either), but eventually she pulled through... except now she can barely walk.

Otherwise, I've been pretty lucky. I lost my maternal grandfather when I was 6 to a mixture of kidney failure and the lasting damage done by malaria he picked up in PNG during the war, and my paternal grandfather died 3 years later of a series of heart attacks. I guess it was to be expected, really; they both fought hard in the war and pop's malaria screwed his kidneys up horribly (he was lucky to survive as long as he did), and grandpa was getting fairly old. Nanna is doing as alright as possible for someone whose ankle is permanently twisted in such a way that she's literally walking on the inside of her foot, and grandma will be 90 soon and is still clinging on. The big worry at the moment is the stress dad is under from work, and the fact that mum managed to get Ross River Fever (oh the irony) and can barely move. I rarely ever get seriously ill myself, but I make up for that in colds and constant hayfever (fair trade, I guess).

ExAm
November 2nd, 2007, 01:04 AM
Wow. So much sad stuff here. The only thing close to any of this that I've had in my life is when my grandmother died. After that, my grandfather just kind of let go out of despair, and died three months or so later. I don't have many sad things to share, other than the fact that I find it extremely hard to talk to people at my school, which is really taking a toll on me, psychologically. I'm pissed off at myself for fearing mere conversation with other people. I guess I'm just afraid of it at a very base level, since I don't have any conscious fear of talking to people. It's like I'm afraid of what they think of what I say, even though I really don't care what they think. I just freeze up. I'm making some progress, but not much, since all I can do is push through it, and it doesn't go away. I'm basically back to square one every day I go to school.

n00b1n8R
November 2nd, 2007, 01:15 AM
Words can't describe my sympathy, Atty.

my mum's in her late 40's and has had a few things wrong with her (not nearly as bad as your mum's though) and I think she's developing alzhimers.

this thread makes me feel so emo :<

Bodzilla
November 2nd, 2007, 02:13 AM
this shit right here is the reason why u have such a good reputation Atty.

you have so many problems and challenges that your struggling against and amongst it all your looking out for the well-being of others.
And that my friend is a rare quality rarely seen these days.

take care of your mother man, i'm sure she's extremly proud of you and the way you've handled this Dreadful situation that we would never wish apon anyone.

Respect.

Dr Nick
November 2nd, 2007, 05:17 AM
Although a new treatment has turned up, involving a medical induced coma and massive amounts of ketamine, which essentially resets her brain which is said to cure the disease, although it’s very expensive, it’s not guaranteed to work, and could end up in her death.

In Germany, right?
I saw that on House.

I hope she lives as long as she can.

Also, about the thread title, /simpleplan, /wrists

n00b1n8R
November 2nd, 2007, 05:35 AM
I saw that on house too :^D
I wonderd if it was the same thing (or if TV was just being TV again :< )

Tweek
November 2nd, 2007, 05:57 AM
i don't have a sad sob story.

i have s sister 2 years older than me.
when i was about, i don't know, i think i was like 12 years old or something, my sis was pissing me off beyond measures, and i tried to kill her. for real.
my dad beat me off her, saving my sis, if he hadn't i'd propably me only child right now.

since then, my dad pretty much thinks i'm a monster or something.
he's right for the most part, but it still hurts.

when i was 14, the very last dat of sumer holidays, 2 friends came to my door, asking if i wanted to go ride bikes with them. being the bedroom dwelling creep i am, i didn't really want to go, but my father made me go, so i went. we went to the local bike cross parcours. i was on a mountainbike, a rigid one, no suspension whatsoever. my steering locked, i went up a banked corner, over the edge, and fell 3 meters, landing with my face on the steer.

all my front teeth were broken. they dind't get knocked out, they were broken off. my lower jaw was broken clean trough in 2 places, the left corner of my mouth ripped open, about 2 centimeters in.

i got fixed, only 1 little scar left.

my sis had a cool boyfriend, and she got pregnant. (she was living with him) and when she had the baby, he kicked her out of the house less than a week later.

at highschool i was the smartest kid around, acing everything because i was a good boy and studied hard, but tought it was fucking stupid, and dropped a level, and didn't do shit for any of it, and still almost aced all the tests.

at college, i was the smartest person around, knowing more than my teachers, and ending up correcting them all the time, to the point where they started nitpicking every little small detail on my stuff i handed in.
one day, i corrected a teacher like always, and he told me to stop beinga smartass, and i told him to stop being a fucking dumbass and try to actually have a faint clue of what the fuck you're talking about before trying to pass of your misinformed bullshit to kids who think they're learning things the right way. he told me to get out, i told him to stfu, and make me. he came up to me, grabbed my arm, and i broke his nose, and left.

then i told one of the big teacher dudes, the only one who OMG knew what he was talking about, and told him he either start paying me because im the one teching, and not the teachers, or i'm out of the damn college.

i left college, and never felt better about myself.

also, i get along with my sis fine now.

n00b1n8R
November 2nd, 2007, 06:38 AM
>_>

i'm with you on the "don't study almost ace" part. also on the correcting teachers part (though probably not to that extent). though you do have some problems (if you don't mind me asking, what did you sister do O_o)

FlyingStone
November 2nd, 2007, 07:33 AM
I has a question, for Atty.

Currently there is no cure or working treatments for her RSD, the only thing she can do is take pain medication and deal with it. Although a new treatment has turned up, involving a medical induced coma and massive amounts of ketamine, which essentially resets her brain which is said to cure the disease, although it’s very expensive, it’s not guaranteed to work, and could end up in her death. Currently we can't even afford the treatment but it’s her only chance, so we are looking into it. But I'm not sure what will go on with that.

How much are we talking here? And if her brain does get, reset, does that mean she will lose all of her memory's?
I can't imagine what you are going threw, i have always been fortunate for both my parents are still together and they have always been there. I am sorry to hear about this. Please, if it does not bother you, keep us informed on what is going to happen.
Best wishes and prayers Atty.
-F.S

I'll post my sob story later.

Tweek
November 2nd, 2007, 07:52 AM
(if you don't mind me asking, what did you sister do O_o)

tried to strangle her.

i threw her on the ground, sat on her, and squeezed her throat shut.

flibitijibibo
November 2nd, 2007, 09:29 AM
*Huggles*

Mass
November 2nd, 2007, 09:33 AM
tried to strangle her.

i threw her on the ground, sat on her, and squeezed her throat shut.
I think he meant what made you so pissed as to do this.
Also, Jesus fucking Christ everyone's life seems to suck; There are literally no dysfunctional people in my family like at least out to my 3rd cousins, I love my family, my grandpa died peacefully and in old age, and the biggest problem my mom has are varicose veins.

Well, my aunt has a broken joint in her left arm and they've had to do surgeries again and again for her, and she goes on trips with the drugs they give her, and she's still in pain every day of her life.

I love my mom, dad, and sister; and the only problem we've really had is my dad got laid-off and couldn't get a job for 7 years, and I can at least blame republicans for that. ;)

Agamemnon
November 2nd, 2007, 11:13 AM
How many times do I have to tell you; write to your congressman. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Putnam)

Kornman00
November 2nd, 2007, 11:15 AM
If its in Germany Atty, I might be able to help you gets yer asses over hurr.

Your story makes me thankful for what I have. Although my grandpa isn't doing too well and thanks to the Docs giving him dialysis, he gets really confused and makes me ;_;

<3 my grandpa

Atty
November 2nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
How many times do I have to tell you; write to your congressman. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Putnam)We have. It did nothing.

How much are we talking here? And if her brain does get, reset, does that mean she will lose all of her memory's? Its like rebooting the brain. It's supposed to re-set the nervous system.

FlyingStone
November 2nd, 2007, 11:57 AM
^Interesting.
F.S

Atty
November 2nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
http://www.rsdfoundation.org/en/CNN_RSD.htm

FlyingStone
November 2nd, 2007, 12:30 PM
Wow... I am at a lack of words.
I can't even begin to understand, or compare to what your mom is going threw, and what you are going threw. I thought this was like nerve damage, not all out pain 24/7.
Sorry Atty, i wish you, and your mom the best. I wish i could help you pay off, or save up the money by donating, but i have nothing to give, only my sorrys and goodlucks.
Take care, and please keep us (if you don't mind) informed on what will happen
-F.S

Emmzee
November 2nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
That sucks. Honestly, there's nothing I can say that sums it up better than "that sucks."

atomicpower93
November 2nd, 2007, 01:32 PM
Christ atty, thats bad.

Dole
November 2nd, 2007, 04:33 PM
"i threw her on the ground, sat on her, and squeezed her throat shut"
That sounds like the overture of half the porno movies that have been made since 1985. Good thing you were just twelve.

Agamemnon
November 3rd, 2007, 04:25 PM
We have. It did nothing.
You told me you didn't. <:mad:>