PDA

View Full Version : Physics Cards

I_Am_Error117
January 20th, 2007, 02:13 PM
So I might just buy one of these and wanted to see what you guys thought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=physx&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all

The Ghost Recon compairison screens I've seen hav looked good.

Thoughts?

Atty
January 20th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Waste of money.

Cortexian
January 20th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Waste of money.
^

An Emu
January 20th, 2007, 03:46 PM
looks like phail /\/\ /\ /\/...

Mr Buckshot
January 20th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Not enough games take advantage of it at this moment. Leave the PhysX card for now. If you want great physics without using an add-on card, play a game that uses the Havok physics engine (source-based games, FEAR, max payne 2, even Halo 2 strips it down a bit).

GRAW's physics are already decent without the card anyways.

Pooky
January 21st, 2007, 01:06 PM
For 200 dollars I just can't see the point

Mr Buckshot
January 21st, 2007, 01:30 PM
If you see 20+ great games beginning to take full advantage of a PhysX card, then that's the time to buy it. But I seriously doubt the developers will bother, since we can tap the CPU or GPU for physics processing power. I'm sure an 8800GTX or two provides sufficient power for physics.

Edward Elrich
January 21st, 2007, 06:40 PM
No matter how good of a card you might have, though, it is still limited to how well the game designers programmed the physics (if there are any, some games have no need for physics.) I would agree that it would be a waste of money, unless you're designing a game and want better physics support.

Zeph
January 21st, 2007, 07:49 PM
so you're going to spend 300ish USD on a piece of hardware that will marginally improve a few games?

Syuusuke
January 21st, 2007, 08:21 PM
You shouldn't, It's a PCI card, what will you get out of that?-only physics enhancement for select games, not worth it.

InnerGoat
January 21st, 2007, 09:54 PM
So I might just buy one of these and wanted to see what you guys thought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=physx&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all

The Ghost Recon compairison screens I've seen hav looked good.

Thoughts?
You made a smart move asking before you buy it.

Like the others have said, it costs too much and gives little in return. Maybe UT2007 and the games built on it's engine will take good advantage of it, BUT UNTIL THEN it is a total waste. :o

legionaire45
January 22nd, 2007, 02:05 AM
Spend the money on a new GPU when the time comes.

Atty
January 22nd, 2007, 05:50 AM
You made a smart move asking before you buy it.

Like the others have said, it costs too much and gives little in return. Maybe UT2007 and the games built on it's engine will take good advantage of it, BUT UNTIL THEN it is a total waste. :oEven then it's a total waste. I'll wait for those fancy things I keep hearing from GPU makers to stroll out of infancy.

Morkon
January 22nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
the reviews on it were horrible. Its a great concept, just doesn't have a big number of games backing it up, and those that it has doesn't do much of a difference to justify a 200-300$ investment.

Mr Buckshot
January 22nd, 2007, 09:33 PM
The Xbox 360's triple-core CPU and the PS3's Cell processor can push superb physics without causing noticeable slowdowns, proving that add-on physics cards aren't going to take off. AMD and Intel will just continue to produce better CPUs and the PhysX will become obsolete.

[Team_CELL_H2V]Mr.WTF
January 25th, 2007, 01:06 PM
200 dollars just to run GRAW? nothx.

Mr Buckshot
January 25th, 2007, 05:26 PM
You don't need to pay $200 for that physX card to run GRAW. GRAW runs fine on my PC at 1024x768. The physX card just enhances the physics engine a bit, and that's all it does. No improved framerates or graphics.

[Team_CELL_H2V]Mr.WTF
January 25th, 2007, 05:42 PM
You don't need to pay $200 for that physX card to run GRAW. GRAW runs fine on my PC at 1024x768. The physX card just enhances the physics engine a bit, and that's all it does. No improved framerates or graphics.
Exactly, so it's a waste of money.

DaneO'Roo
January 25th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I dunno, I've seen some demos of it, an dIt's quite amazing, but I'd wait till more games utilize it before I got one. I remember seeing a demo, and it showed them shoot a cloth flag, to shreds, hole by hole, rip by rip, watching bits fall off, it was almost like real life. Looked amazing, I aint getting one until its more widespread with games

Morkon
January 25th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I dunno, I've seen some demos of it, an dIt's quite amazing, but I'd wait till more games utilize it before I got one. I remember seeing a demo, and it showed them shoot a cloth flag, to shreds, hole by hole, rip by rip, watching bits fall off, it was almost like real life. Looked amazing, I aint getting one until its more widespread with games
i agree with that. It isnt as horrible as some people put it out to be, its just not really implemented in many games. Those that it is implemented into dont do a good job at it. ATI and nVidia are also working on a solution where one GPU can do the physics in Crossfire and SLI respectively.

I_Am_Error117
January 25th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I'm Thinking about buying it more as a novelty when I have the cash to spend later