PDA

View Full Version : [UNREAL] Unreal Editor?

Ki11a_FTW
November 19th, 2007, 03:38 PM
i just bought a bunch of new parts for my computer yesterday, and installed gears of war. only one problem, i cant find unreal editor anywhere!

Chewy Gumball
November 19th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Does gow come with the editor?

DaneO'Roo
November 19th, 2007, 04:08 PM
It does, it's in one of the folders in the install path.

Phopojijo
November 19th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Yea -- its there.

Assuming you're in Vista (and assuming you "custom install" to actually tell the editor to install) you right click on the game and click "run editor"

Ki11a_FTW
November 19th, 2007, 05:24 PM
XP

i still can find it..lol and its installed in C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Gears of War

DaneO'Roo
November 19th, 2007, 08:28 PM
re install and make sure you install the editor

Ki11a_FTW
November 19th, 2007, 10:46 PM
i think im getting closer to finding it, i found where all the tags and stuff are, and i was reading the readme about launcher Unreal editor, then my dad booted me off the gaming comp for the night.

flibitijibibo
November 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Yeah, when you install Gears of War, there's this nearly hidden checkbox that says "install editor". I almost missed it, too. XD

I would just run the installer one more time to see if it'll let you add it or summat.

Masterz1337
November 20th, 2007, 08:29 AM
I can't even get GOW to run more than 3 minutes :(.

Ki11a_FTW
November 20th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah, when you install Gears of War, there's this nearly hidden checkbox that says "install editor". I almost missed it, too. XD

I would just run the installer one more time to see if it'll let you add it or summat.

Oh damn really, i missed it

Ki11a_FTW
November 20th, 2007, 02:07 PM
What the hell, i checked off "install editor" and still no sign off it:mad:

Phopojijo
November 20th, 2007, 05:34 PM
In Vista aparently you right click on the game and click "run editor"

I believe I heard somewhere you needed to run the Gears executible with the -editor parameter.

Ki11a_FTW
November 20th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Yeah, im on windows XP, i tried the -editor and that still just loaded the original game.

EDIIT: GOT IT, finally

Heres a little tut for xp users.

Go to your Gears of War Directory then into the Binaries folder.

Create a shortcut to startup.exe from your desktop.

Rename it to Unreal Editor.

Go to Properties>Target, then at the end of the directory press space, and put "editor" without the quotes and no - for this one.

Phopojijo
November 20th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Yea there's a bit of complaints about the editor.

Maps in My Docs, not obvious to install, etc.

Political bullshit I'm hoping they'll rectify.

Functionally it seems pretty damn spot-on.

stunt_man
November 20th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I just found the editor too... I haven't heard of many problems with it (unless you're running it on an aging PC). There's actually maps being worked on in the ever-so-inexistant GoW community. Here's the forum I found (http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5). Does anyone know of a more kickin' place to join? I mean, there's lots of users but very few constructive posts or promising projects. Maybe it's because it just came out and no one really has any experience with the editor...

Phopojijo
November 21st, 2007, 03:18 PM
Nah its not so much problems with the editor -- the editor itself is rock-solid stable (heck that's the entire point of UE3)... the problems people have are the stupid implementations Epic made with the editor to be more Vista savvy (rightclick editor... which means for XP you need to do some rigamarole just to even turn on the editor; another issue of course is the My Documents maps... a lot of people would prefer to have their maps appear in places they want it to)

Nitpicky but still things Epic really needs to change.