PDA

View Full Version : [CRYSIS] Crysis upgrade solution?

stunt_man
November 27th, 2007, 11:24 PM
At the end of the summer, my latest project came to a finish - I built my first computer. Here are the specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 6420 @ 2.13 GHz
2 GB RAM
eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB non-SLI
Windows Vista 32-bit

Yeah, it pretty much rapes anything I throw at it :rolleyes:, except Crysis, which I can only play with a mix of medium and high (not very-high) settings :(. I'd like to step this up. I also noticed slowdown on Battlefield 2 when I crank up texture quality :mad:.

Simply, I want to be able to run these games without a hitch on max graphics (resolution doesn't bother me that much, nor do high levels of AA and AF). I'm also not considering SLI at the moment. What I'm asking you guys is how much you think I'll have to spend to achieve my goal. Does anyone have a single-card solution for Crysis' GPU hunger? Am I going to need to upgrade other aspects of my system?

Thanks in advance.

Mr Buckshot
November 27th, 2007, 11:40 PM
The Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT is a great single-card solution for $250. The GTX is even better but is a tad overpriced. Sell your GTS and grab a GT - trust me, the GT is more powerful than the GTS.

You've got a nice processor though.

Also there is no single card that can run Crysis on max possible detail without lag at any resolution above 1024x768 (maybe 1280x1024 as well). Even dual 8800 GTX's experienced lag at 1920x1200 on full settings. We all want the best possible visuals in Crysis, but for now, just stick with the not-so-high settings, especially when you get to multiplayer.

legionaire45
November 28th, 2007, 01:16 AM
There will be a new version of the 8800 GTS based off the same core that the GT uses except faster, so you might want to hold out for that. It's going to be pretty damn fast if the specs stay the same until launch around December 11th.

It will cost around $400. Right now on my setup with a Core 2 Duo E6300, 4 gigs of ram and a 7600 GT I can play at 1280 x 800 with the settings mixed between low and medium and it is perfectly playable even while I'm playing it on Vista x64. The BF2 issues I'm not so sure about but it may just be some issue with the 8 series cards or something. Before you go out and spend a ton of money on a new card try updating your drivers to see if you get a performance boost or not.

stunt_man
November 28th, 2007, 01:07 PM
@ Buckshot: What if I played at 1024x768? What card could run the game on 'very high?' If there's really no single-card option, what comes closest? What kind of performance increase should I expect from 8800 GTS to 8800 GT?

Maybe I'm just a freak, or maybe I'm not the only one out there, but it bothers me a lot when I can't play a game the way it was meant to be played.

JunkfoodMan
November 28th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Doesn't the Memory of the card have something to do with texture slow-downs?

InnerGoat
November 28th, 2007, 03:48 PM
@ Buckshot: What if I played at 1024x768? What card could run the game on 'very high?' If there's really no single-card option, what comes closest? What kind of performance increase should I expect from 8800 GTS to 8800 GT?

Maybe I'm just a freak, or maybe I'm not the only one out there, but it bothers me a lot when I can't play a game the way it was meant to be played.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1457959&postcount=180

stunt_man
November 29th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Interesting... Thanks. I'm going to head over to Microbytes this weekend, I'll post when I get it! I hope I can get it for the same price as that guy ($250)!