PDA

View Full Version : [MAP] Facing Towers

Hickle Stine
December 9th, 2007, 11:50 PM
It's on halomaps:
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=3&fid=3382

See what you think. It is the first map I have made that I thought worthy of release. The details are basically all on the download page. :)

here are the pics though, in case you want to see more before being screwed to click on the link:

http://hce.halomaps.org/images/files/sm/5screenshot00-90.jpg

http://hce.halomaps.org/images/files/sm/8screenshot00-67.jpg

t3h m00kz
December 10th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Sweet as fuck, UT map.

Now we just need to figure out how to make a shock combo weapon ;o

Edit: SWEET job on the "link gun" type weapon. The towers themselves seem a bit crowded but that's not gonna matter too much, I don't think.

Overall it's really nice, and the tribute to UT is uncanny.

Cortexian
December 10th, 2007, 04:51 AM
There was a REALLY old version of this that came out a few weeks after CE... It used all Halo weapons, so gj on the link gun thing...

Hickle Stine
December 10th, 2007, 04:54 AM
well actually...the custom weapons in this map don't really resemble their UT equivalents at all. They serve similar purposes, but look nothing alike. The shock rifle doesn't look anything like the UT shock rifle, nor does the link gun.

t3h m00kz
December 10th, 2007, 11:50 AM
The one thing that confuses me is why the Shock Rifle has that huge explosion going on. Originally planning on making a "combo" rifle? ;)

Hunter
December 10th, 2007, 12:23 PM
That is pritty good for your first map.

Sel
December 10th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I saw your topic at halomaps, it looked really bitchin and Im for sure downloading this when I get home.

Hickle Stine
December 10th, 2007, 02:13 PM
The one thing that confuses me is why the Shock Rifle has that huge explosion going on. Originally planning on making a "combo" rifle? ;)

It does have a huge explosion, but it actually has no splash damage. Its primary fire is just like the UT one. (in terms of effect). It hits pretty much instantly, and pushes people back...its fun to score multiple hits on them and watch em fly off the map!

Sel
December 10th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Downloading now, Im assuming you have previous modelling experience before halo right?

Pooky
December 10th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Well from the screenshots the terrain looks bland, and the cliffs look unnatural. However, you get immediate points for doing something that's not just the generic 2 bases in a canyon map, and the towers look pretty good. Even though I don't really have time, I'm downloading this right away so I can leave proper C&C.

Disaster
December 10th, 2007, 04:17 PM
needs alot more cover..this map is probably going to be a target for aimbotters..you need an aimbotting script and add more cover because you added the sniper rifle..theres really no where to got..however you get browny points for the base which does look good..however terrain is bland lilke fried metroid said

AiRgUItaR901
December 10th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Looks like a pretty sick map. I really like your idea of the Shock Cannon, it's similar to the Gravity Hammer in a way. Downloading now :D

Archon23
December 10th, 2007, 05:12 PM
needs alot more cover..this map is probably going to be a target for aimbotters..you need an aimbotting script and add more cover because you added the sniper rifle..theres really no where to got..however you get browny points for the base which does look good..however terrain is bland lilke fried metroid said

You've never played this map on UT have you?

Disaster
December 10th, 2007, 07:32 PM
nope but i see the guy on the tower..it would suck to be on teh ground at that time..theres no place to hide...except to commit suicide and go down the hole...

Sel
December 10th, 2007, 08:12 PM
You've never played this map on UT have you?

I have, I agree with disaster though, halo and UT are two different games, and in UT you move a lot faster than you do in halo, therefore its a lot harder to hit them with the sniper, therefore the lack of cover is fine, but in halo you move slow, so in order for the game to run well, you need cover, and lots of it, otherwise the level just falls apart.

t3h m00kz
December 10th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I think this is fine honestly, as a port from UT to Halo, simply because the middle section is so much smaller than it was in Unreal Tournament. While yes, they are two different games, I'd imagine the map would work rather well with Halo. Just like in UT, it's a very basic, "YOU HAVE TO RUN THE FUCK TO THE OTHER BASE AND RUN THE FUCK BACK ASAP" type of map. Haven't played it online yet though, so I couldn't tell you at this point ;o

I'm also suprised so many people don't know about this map; it's pretty famous. It's like, the Blood Gulch of Unreal Touranment aside from Deck, of course.

God I'd love Deck made for Halo. But that's off topic ;)

Here's the original UT map.

ygpKJ6uEIJQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygpKJ6uEIJQ)

Hickle Stine
December 10th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Downloading now, Im assuming you have previous modelling experience before halo right?

Not really any serious experience...no weapon modelling at least. I did some crappy maps for Deus Ex in the UT editor, thats it. I have done some 'practice' maps (for halo) before though. This is the first intended for release, and I guess it came out pretty good. Next will be boomerang (theres pics in the gallery topic).

Oh and about people who say that snipers will have a huge advantage, thats just not true. 5 minutes of playing this with my friends at school taught me this. Its so easy to hit a sniper with the shock rifle and send em flying off the tower, or simply use the BR or carbine to kill em. Even better, you teleport up behind them, and melee them from behind. The lack of cover is remaining true to the UT version.

Sel
December 11th, 2007, 03:56 PM
I suppose that would explain how youre new to the scene, but you seem to have a lot more ability than most of the peopl over at halomaps.

Pooky
December 11th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Well after playing around with this for a bit: spend more time on it. The map looks nice enough in screenshots but there are rough edges in virtually every pixel. There aren't any custom animations on the new weapons which always really bugs me, there are a lot of stretched UVs, and there's no way to really get around fast enough. You need to add some Ghosts, or increase the walking speed, or something. Because walking across this map is a chore. As I said before it could use some scenery and detail in the terrain to spice it up. It's okay overall, but I'd highly suggest going back and polishing this map to a crystal shine then re-releasing it, and taking more time on your future projects. Good luck.

Hickle Stine
December 11th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I suppose some elements have an unfinished look about them. But since I made this bsp (a couple o months ago...) I have improved greatly in modeling, and have a much better grasp of texturing.
The size of the map, and lack of cover, is intentional, and, if by some chance i DO re-release this, better modeled, textured etc, the map size and overall shape will be the SAME. Also I hate vehicles :)

But thanks for the comments! They help.

t3h m00kz
December 12th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I hate vehicles :)

Yes.

Pooky
December 12th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Also I hate vehicles :)

No offense, but that's stupid. Vehicles make up a huge portion of the entire Halo experience.

Hickle Stine
December 12th, 2007, 10:50 PM
oh, i dont mind hogs really. vehicles are okay if you know what you're doing...but its so EASY to make a map completely unbalanced by putting in vehicles.
eg:
-Coldsnap I hate in general, but its vehicles are well balanced (even the hogs)
-Bloodgulch has good vehicle and weapon placement, which makes them well balanced. So does snow grove
-Immure is a great map, but the WASP completely ruins it in my opinion. It is very unbalanced.

Overall i just prefer ground combat though :)

My next map will have vehicles. But they will be only hogs and ghosts, and the map will be well balanced for those that wish to not use them.

n00b1n8R
December 12th, 2007, 11:24 PM
The WASP is next to useless due to you having to have the target dead infront of you to hit it IMO :|

Hickle Stine
December 13th, 2007, 01:00 AM
lawl true its hard as to aim.

t3h m00kz
December 13th, 2007, 10:53 AM
The WASP is next to useless due to you having to have the target dead infront of you to hit it IMO :|

That's how it was in UT, and if it acts like that in Halo, that's pretty much right ;)

Hickle Stine
December 15th, 2007, 09:33 PM
The wasp isn't in UT...

bobbysoon
December 15th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Thats a cool skybox in the vid. 4 or 5 pics attached to a rotating center frame, in an inverted sphere textured with stars.

t3h m00kz
December 16th, 2007, 01:13 AM
The wasp isn't in UT...

Oh shit, read that wrong, my bad. >D Thought you all were referring to the link gun.

Hickle Stine
December 18th, 2007, 01:03 AM
hehe check it out:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/HickleStine/1337.jpg

Sel
December 18th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I did, its pretty bitchin! :D

Apoc4lypse
December 18th, 2007, 05:21 PM
wow, I have to say I was surprised...

The map visually needs a lot of work from any regular pov, but because its your first map, its understandable that you don't have a lot of custom textures and such.... the same goes for the weapons, like not having custom animations or textures, but again its understandable because its your first release map...

My advice would be to redo it when you get better because I think it would be a fun map to play....

I actualy think you have a good idea for a mod right here, not exactly a UT conversion, but like a UT version of halo... the weapons would be halo styleish but they would represent different weapons from UT, then you can have the players run faster and such like in UT, faster game pace, change up the player health and damage multipliers, try to make the game sort of like UT, but everything would still be halo, just themed like UT, I think itd be neat...

TheRMBFurion
December 25th, 2007, 01:15 AM
I wonder, has anyone figured out a way to work on the shock combo yet?

t3h m00kz
December 25th, 2007, 02:59 AM
I wonder, has anyone figured out a way to work on the shock combo yet?

Low quality/streaming (Youtube)
3A92sc90sRI

Medium quality/download (Mythica)
http://useruploads.mythica.org/view/m00km0dz.wmv.html (http://useruploads.mythica.org/view/m00km0dz.wmv.html)

-2:05.

Also, the ending.

bobbysoon
December 25th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Shoot the sticky? Projectile with collision model, I'm guessing.

TheRMBFurion
December 25th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Nice projectile modding Hyena, the shock core looks pretty good

t3h m00kz
December 26th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Ain't perfect, still a few bugs and whatnot; IE the secondary projectile keeps flying after a combo

demonmaster3k
January 3rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
yea the UT weaps look nothing like the ones in this map
shock gun:
http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/76/others/2k7srthumb.jpg
Link gun:
http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetunreal.gamespy.com/guides/link.jpg

t3h m00kz
January 3rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
None of the weapons in the UT's resemble their remakes at ALL, save for the flak cannon and the UC2 to UT2007 conversions.

If you were to compare the UT2004 shock rifle to the 2007 shock rifle, you'd see a HUGE difference.

Here's UT2004.
QyYtB_0bUbI
COMPLETELY different, no?

Not to mention the fact that in UT2004, you could select different gun models for specific guns, including the shock rifle and link gun, I believe... so in fact, there's really no "right" way to do it, honestly.

demonmaster3k
January 4th, 2008, 10:14 PM
no offense (i know UT2004's aged but when i saw UT in the title, i assumed UT3), still the UT3 weapon designs kick the pants off the UT2004 (except the removal of the 3rd-person melee weaps)

t3h m00kz
January 4th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Well no shit that the weapon designs were better in UT3. It's like what, three years newer than 2004? But that's not the point.

The amount of time it would take somebody to produce an accurate replica of the UT3 weapons would be retarded, not to mention the possible limitations of the Halo 1 engine (I'm no modeler so don't quote me on that). You can't honestly expect someone other than some of the famous names around here to suddenly pop out a really well-made model and have it put in-game and work perfectly.

Besides, This is a Halo Modding forum, not a 3DS Max Render Showcase forum. Models don't change the overall FEEL of the game. They're just eye candy. Imagine if you will, if someone made the most kick-ass weapon model ever, but it was a useless weapon in-game and had no real purpose. Even though the gun looks awesome, would you still use it just for it's looks even though it blows?

I'm honestly irritated at how so many people are wanting to push the graphics but not wanting to do anything toward the gameplay itself. I've seen recreations of Halo 3 weapons, Halo 2 weapons, and most of the time they feel like nobody spent any time on the weapons themselves, they feel like really crappy versions of the Halo 1 weapons with some very slight variable changes, but nothing drastic. Nothing toward the accuracy of the feel. But, I guess that doesn't matter if the graphics are pretty?

I'd gladly go back and play games that by today's standards, have terrible graphics, simply because they were FUN. The original Halo 1, Unreal Tournament 1, d00m, Marathon, Metal Gear Solid, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Graphics matter for the first few times you play it. Gameplay lasts forever.

Oh, and UT2004's gameplay > UT3's IMO.

PlasbianX
January 4th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Sorta reminds me of "a bridge too far" from starsiege tribes. Got my download :D