PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] M1A2 Abrams Main Battle Tank

PenGuin1362
January 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM
well i found this sitting in my ambush folder today while i was organizing it and realized i never finished it >_< so i opened it up and started workin on it. not done yet but gettin there. this of course will be the tank for the ambush mod

1,923 polies so far

plan to add more detail to the wheels and still need front lights and other various details

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/PenGuin1362/m1a2wip2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/PenGuin1362/m1a2wip3.jpg

Dole
January 24th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Well, there really isn't much to say that hasn't been summed up in your first paragraph.
Therefore I have nothing to say.

SgtBotley
January 24th, 2007, 04:19 PM
nice stuff man

Katarn
January 24th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Looks cool so far.

RaVNzCRoFT
January 24th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Very nice with what you have already. Some detail on the treads and wheels should look nice. You can never go wrong with more detail. I feel that the top of the vehicle (not the turret) could use some more extrusions and small details. :)

Pred1ator
January 24th, 2007, 04:52 PM
very nice, but it seems some parts of the tank could use soem more detail, god luck n the ambush project

Cortexian
January 24th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Very nice with what you have already. Some detail on the treads and wheels should look nice. You can never go wrong with more detail. I feel that the top of the vehicle (not the turret) could use some more extrusions and small details. :)
In halo, you can always go wrong with more detail, if this is for halo, make it less detailed, more textured.

ExAm
January 24th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I like mine better. It has more stowage boxes. Yours also is very slightly misshapen. Might want to fix that. Also, the CITV is a bit small.

RaVNzCRoFT
January 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM
In halo, you can always go wrong with more detail, if this is for halo, make it less detailed, more textured.
Ah, I didn't see it was going into his mod. :rolleyes:

rossmum
January 24th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Looks good, though things like smoke grenade launchers, driver's vision blocks, the coax gun and the major details on the road wheels and side armour would be good.

DAMMIT EXPLOSIVE YOU BEAT ME.

PenGuin1362
January 24th, 2007, 06:50 PM
plan to add more detail to the wheels and still need front lights and other various details

>_>

all what you stated will be added just haven't gotten that far yet. as for the detail on the side armor. no, this was is just easier to uv and keeps the poly count low.

rossmum
January 24th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Whoops. >_>

mR_r0b0to
January 24th, 2007, 07:13 PM
you're missing wheels :x

rossmum
January 24th, 2007, 07:17 PM
No he isn't. There's 7 there, each side.

mR_r0b0to
January 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM
my bad, the wheels just look odd without any detail :]

TeeKup
January 24th, 2007, 08:26 PM
No he isn't. There's 7 there, each side.

I wasnt aware cylinders were wheels.

PenGuin1362
January 24th, 2007, 08:31 PM
um....uh...wow no comment on that one

TeeKup
January 24th, 2007, 08:46 PM
um....uh...wow no comment on that one

You didnt analyze it correctly.....

let me re-phrase:

I wasnt aware soup cans were considered wheels.

better?

Timo
January 24th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Read the first post, teekup.

plan to add more detail to the wheels and.....

Bodzilla
January 25th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Thats a bit harsh Teekup.... he's still working on it.

anyway it looks good man :).
it's a shame it's another Heavy Vehicle tho. your gunna have to make this incredibly slow to balance out hte power i'm assuming the cannon will have

rossmum
January 25th, 2007, 08:11 AM
The M1A2's max. speed in real life is 68km/h, but it guzzles fuel like mad. Then again, it can run off basically anything.

Main weapon is a 120mm smoothbore accurate to about 5km. Ouch.

ExAm
January 25th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I advised him to de-noob the cannon by making it fire APFSDS, so it's good agains other tanks, but not infantry. That's what the coaxial MG is for. No noobing with the HE, I hope. One more reason to add that coax, penguin.

Oh, and Ross, it gets two gallons per mile ;) It also uses jet fuel.

Penguin, please find a nice jet engine sound and mix it with some tread grinding effects. That's what the tank sounds like.

PenGuin1362
January 25th, 2007, 11:34 AM
oh don't worry i will : ) every halo sound will be GONE
pretty much nothing halo will be left.

as for de-noobing, the way it'll work is one driver and one gunner, this way it'll be more difficult to whore the tank and it's more realistic. so if you're just campin the a base with the turret, you're pretty screwed. there's also rpgs, mortar at- :x shh. and other easy ways to counter the tank

ExAm
January 25th, 2007, 11:47 AM
For the sake of gameplay, only override the driver turret controls when a gunner gets in. You can't whore the tank with APFSDS, unless you make the MG really strong.

PenGuin1362
January 25th, 2007, 01:50 PM
it's been fine so far, i've had like that for about 6 months now on the old tank. doesn't really effect much and makes it more interesting. we'll see how it goes, if it really makes a difference in big games i'll change it.

Leiukemia
January 26th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Love it.

rossmum
January 26th, 2007, 01:13 AM
2 seats ftw.

Also, RPGs really don't do a whole load to those things...

Leiukemia
January 26th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Oya, the driver and gunner will be awesome. I've been playing the new Project reality mod, and the 2 people thing for tanks is fun.

rossmum
January 26th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Yeah, but they hack.

Where were those hit, anyway? Rear, ammo? If the M1's frontal armour can stand up to basically anything your average ground force can throw at it, I guess it wouldn't be a frontal impact...

Leiukemia
January 26th, 2007, 02:43 AM
That's weird. It doesn't really look like it got shot by something. It looks like somebody flamethrowered it, and it just got delapitated (probably spelled that wrong)

rossmum
January 26th, 2007, 02:46 AM
I know, it looks more immobilised than destroyed. Charring is either from the blast, or from a possible resultant fire. The second looks like it was dismantled.

rossmum
January 26th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Maybe the crew just GTFO'd?

Either way, those things are tough sons of bitches.

Katarn
January 26th, 2007, 08:34 AM
the hatches are burst open and such. i'm thinking shape charge hit the magazines.
Possible, but very unlikely. The ammunition is kept in a sealed container off from the main compartment. Even if those abrahms were hit by enemy fire, it's likely the crew were completely unharmed.

PenGuin1362
January 26th, 2007, 10:51 AM
well unfortunately for the Iraqis these bastards are pretty tough, during desert storm only about 18 (i believe that's the right number) were disabled, four were believed to be from friendly fire. but none completely destroyed. and only. but there was one instance where an rpg...in addition to three DU kinetic energy rounds >_> disabled the tank and blew the turret...but yea only 5 crew members were killed in desert storm. 4 drowned when a bridge gave out when the tank was crossing it....as for iraq now i'm not really sure how many have been hit.

actually this hadn't occurred to me before but i can make some areas of the tank do more damage then others. or i can just leave the good old halo way >_>. what do you guys think would be better. also we do have a mortar strike : ) which you'll see when the map is done >_>

p.s. explosive, i found a nice, clear start up sound of an m1 : D now i just gotta figure out how to get it off the video >_<

ExAm
January 26th, 2007, 12:24 PM
That one was most definitely taken out by an IED. Although, I do know that if they can't salvage the parts from a taken out tank, they'll destroy it. I read a story once of when they had to destroy one. It took another Abrams many, many shots with APFSDS and HEAT rounds to even get through the armor in the spot they had to shoot.

the hatches are burst open and such. i'm thinking shape charge hit the magazines.
Wouldn't matter. There are blow-out doors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_abrams#Armor) on the top of the magazines that blow out before letting the explosion get into the turret. The crew will not get hurt.

PenGuin1362
January 26th, 2007, 01:22 PM
minor update

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/PenGuin1362/m1a2wip4.jpg

at about 2,047 polies right now, still gotta add the forward lights and some more detail to the wheels. oh and the tubes on the either side of the turret will be taken out and show with just a skin. i just modeled out the tubes for looks right now

ExAm
January 26th, 2007, 01:29 PM
send me the models for those smoke dischargers? I planned to texture mine on, but meh. Also, coax gun is in the wrong position, I think. Needs to be slightly lower, about the same distance from the angle on the mount as it is to the side. Also, get petter pics of that coax. It needs to be shapen better.