PDA

View Full Version : [TUT] Profit Made Easy pt 2

Bad Waffle
January 13th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Pt 1: http://www.h2vista.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6173

So, you have your output which should look like so:
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/2314/render1ia2.jpg

Most people would stop at that and show the model--but they're forgetting that its key to show the wireframe to demonstrate the construction of the model and (if necessary) get help on triangulation, to lower poly count or to fix edgeloops (specifically on organics).

Here's how to do it.

Step 1: Select your entire model, and group it by using the menu at the top left (file, edit, tools, group)

Step 2: Clone (shift + move) and Rotate (e) your model 180 degrees, or roughly the amount you would need to see the complete opposite side.

Step 3: Hit prntscrn on your keyboard, and then open up MS paint. Paste (ctrl + v) and then crop the image to just the viewport.

Step 4. Save as .PNG to preserve quality.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8250/weaponwire2oz7.png

This is how your first wireframe should turn out, and it is the best representation by far. But--you arent done yet. Say your model has points of interests or points of clumped geometry--like a nice scope, or etc. This is how you should set it up.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/8545/weaponwire1bs4.png

Step 5: upload, show, done!

Chewy Gumball
January 13th, 2008, 10:16 PM
You can also clone your model in place, put a wireframe material on the cloned object, push it out with the modifier push by 1 or 2 and you can do a nice render with all your materials using mental ray or scanline if you want.

Bad Waffle
January 13th, 2008, 10:18 PM
You can also clone your model in place, put a wireframe material on the cloned object, push it out with the modifier push by 1 or 2 and you can do a nice render with all your materials using mental ray or scanline if you want.

No, because that looks ugly. The fuzzy AA doesnt work well in areas with clumped geometry.

il Duce Primo
January 13th, 2008, 10:19 PM
For a gun are you alloud to have thigns not welded to eachother? Or is this your trademark in modeling like you said with the barrels? Or is this just a render only gun?

LlamaMaster
January 13th, 2008, 10:23 PM
No, because that looks ugly. The fuzzy AA doesnt work well in areas with clumped geometry.
Only if you render it wrong.

Corndogman
January 13th, 2008, 10:28 PM
For a gun are you alloud to have thigns not welded to eachother? Or is this your trademark in modeling like you said with the barrels? Or is this just a render only gun?

yea the same rules don't apply to guns as they do a BSP. you don't really see all of the gun and you don't have to worry about falling through it or anything like that, like a BSP. so yeh its fine.

il Duce Primo
January 13th, 2008, 10:37 PM
O snap I never knew that. That makes gun modeling alot less pain in the ass. I'm gonna have to model a gun now.

Bad Waffle
January 14th, 2008, 12:23 AM
actually, what i do wit bsp's is make really nice render geometry, and then make another model that i call the collision. works out wonderful if you use the material symbols right.

Con
January 14th, 2008, 12:48 AM
[tut] how to make boring tutorials

1. print screen WOL's tutorial
2. Paste and save
3. Profit

>_>

Bad Waffle
January 14th, 2008, 12:51 AM

2. Paste and save
3. Profit

>_>

you got it wrong its

2. Paste and save
3. ???
4. Profit

Con
January 14th, 2008, 12:58 AM
oh ok, anyway go make moar interesting tutorials

There's nicer ways to render a wireframe on mesh that don't involve screenshotting the viewport..

Sel
January 14th, 2008, 02:07 AM

2. Paste and save
3. Profit

>_>

Epic.

Nice tut.

Tweek
January 14th, 2008, 03:50 AM
i disagree with this tut.

i prefer copying the model, applying a small Push modifyer, and giving the pushed model a black Wire material this makes a wireframe overlay, and you can render it, instead of making a viewport grab.

Chewy Gumball
January 14th, 2008, 02:21 PM
You can tweek the AA till you have it how you want, it looks much more professional if you are doing something like a portfolio. However, if you just want crits or something real fast, this way works just as well for that purpose.

Apoc4lypse
January 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM
or just make the model use both materials, the solid gray and the black wire frame... I also like renders better.

why was the tutorial called profit tho.. lol I'm confused, and pt 2? there was a first part?

Chewy Gumball
January 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM
You can only apply 1 material to a model.

Apoc4lypse
January 17th, 2008, 05:03 PM
You can only apply 1 material to a model.

u can still make a material that will apply both wireframe and solid gray to the faces, I actually don't remember how, cow told me how a while back when I was making wire renders and he told me I was being dumb making 2 models for it, the way I learned was from snaf origionaly which was just duplicate it and push the model then give the 2nd model a wire texture (that was a while ago) then cow showed me how to do it all with one material (he spent a ton of time reading up on 3dsmax tutorials for creating renders after he left CE). Its 1 material but you make it so it displays both somehow I forget... : / otherwise I'd say how lol.

DOMINATOR
January 17th, 2008, 08:09 PM
WaveofLag made his way harder than it actually needs to be... hit f4 and the lines show up. you could just print screen that but it is the incorrect way and looks bad.

the correct way: (composite material)
set up mental ray hit 'f10'
under common tab scroll down to 'Assign Renderer' next to 'Production hit the "..." box select 'mental ray Renderer'
under renderer tab change the 'Samples Per Pixel' min-"4" max-"16"
under indirect illumination tab scroll down to 'Final Gather' section tick the 'enable box' (change samples to 1000 if you want)
add a skylight to your scene (default settings)

select object hit 'm'
hit 'standard'
select "composite"
"keep old material as sub-material" "ok"
(you can play around with the base material lighter or darker)
next to Mat1 hit "none"
tick the 'wire' box
change the diffuse to black (or white if you want your model dark)
scroll down to 'Extended Parameters'
change the 'wire size' any where between .5-1 (i like .65)
now assign that material to your object (if it already isn't)
and render

you get something like this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/DOMINATOR5/dominator_base2.jpg)