PDA

View Full Version : [PORTAL] Portal, Orange Box, and a strange popping noise.

itszutak
January 20th, 2008, 11:01 PM
So. Finished portal.

HOLYSHITSOOCOOOL :D :D

However, while I was playing it, I kept hearing a popping noise in my headphones whenever the refresh rate changed. After reaching over 100+ FPS, it became a constant buzz.

This happens with all of my Orange Box games, but most noticably portal. (Probably because of the enclosed areas).It does not happen with halo.

Graphics Card specs:

nVidia 7800 GeForce GTX, 256 MB, with driver version 6.14.0011.6921

Any help?

Also, I can play TF2 now. Add "itszutak" to your steam list or whatever the hell steam uses. <_<

Also, if its a sound issue, here's my sound card's spec:
SB X-Fi Audio (by Creative)

Emmzee
January 20th, 2008, 11:38 PM
It might be time for new headphones.

Ifafudafi
January 21st, 2008, 12:12 AM
Maybe just turn Vsync on? It's hard to see the difference over 60FPS anyway. Either that, or new headphones.

Oh, and the cake is a l-*shot*

Phopojijo
January 21st, 2008, 12:20 AM
Could be the X-Fi -- try lowering your PCi latency in your BIOS.

itszutak
January 21st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Maybe just turn Vsync on? It's hard to see the difference over 60FPS anyway. Either that, or new headphones.

Oh, and the cake is a l-*shot*I have vsynch on, but the FPS keeps snapping between 30 and 60, so no help there :/

Could be the X-Fi -- try lowering your PCi latency in your BIOS.Alright, trying that right now.

It might be time for new headphones.:( They're only a year or so old (KOSS UR-40) (http://www.amazon.com/Koss-UR40-Collapsible-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00006JILE). But I will see if there's a difference with my ipod headphones.

Thank you, whoever invented multiquote.

If there are any headphones anyone could recommend for under $50, I would appreciate it!

Limited
January 21st, 2008, 04:40 PM
Are you sure the headphones arent just on too loud? :)

Game rules huh? :D

DrunkenSamus
January 21st, 2008, 05:03 PM
Don't you think your speakers might be popped?

itszutak
January 21st, 2008, 05:18 PM
Don't you think your speakers might be popped?My headphones work fantastically with my ipod, halo, and any mp3's I play on my computer :/

EDIT: Well, in between a virus deleting all of steam, a .dll going missing from the windows registry, and the deletion of a good portion of other files, the popping has gone away.

My best guess is that FRAPS was causing the popping. :/

itszutak
January 30th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Bump. Problem didn't go away, my computer was just slow when it happened.

I have noticed it happens ONLY with portal.

This is really frustrating me :/

It happens with all of my headphones.

DrunkenSamus
January 30th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Portal must be frisky when it comes to headphones. It's like trying to feed broccoli to a stubborn child star.

Phopojijo
January 30th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Simple question...

Your headphones... are you plugging them all in the same jack?

itszutak
January 30th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Yes.

Turns out my drivers were out of date. Problem solved, thread locked.