PDA

View Full Version : i feel like something's missing, anyone got a crit?

demonmaster3k
January 26th, 2007, 11:23 PM
i've been working on multiple concept designs (mainly characters, which i'm posting) but i feel like i'm having an abscense of details.

the following are going to be of an aquatic alien race i'm designing for h2v. i originally intended them to be a futuristic version of the zora, but they use guns and have less fins (much less).
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7692/tidaltrooperoriginalconwt6.jpg
now here's the newer designs, much more detailed than the last, but i feel like i should add some extra fins.
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/708/tidaltrooperconcept2nj0.jpg
this one's a lightweight recon vehicle, like the ghost, but when i designed it i intended it for covenant purposes. the new plan is just a color change, since this new race will use blues and silvers, that's the new color scheme i'm intending (you might have seen this design in the old cmt forums or even halomods)
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5579/ghoul3dvisualizationur2.jpg

now the humans, these following designs are of soldiers that are privately owned by a private company, the company intends to use the war against the aliens to gain leverage and eventually take over the government. these soldiers are their instruments to allow them to achieve their goal of corporate rule.
enigma sargant
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/3187/enigmasargentso7.jpg
enigma soldier
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8638/enigmatrooperconceptaz9.jpg
please tell me what you think

Guzzie
January 26th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Too skinny.

~ZMT~Trace
January 27th, 2007, 12:02 AM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7692/tidaltrooperoriginalconwt6.jpg

Looks like Link from TP holding a gun.

rossmum
January 27th, 2007, 12:51 AM
All I see is a sea of x

In any case, might need a new name. Evo's using the name 'Tidal' for one of the main factions.

n00b1n8R
January 27th, 2007, 03:26 AM
the humans look like tau fire warriors from WH 40,000

mb get some inspiration from them? (just google tau)
n00b out

rossmum
January 27th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Oh, I see them now.

They look like annorexic people with fishtails stuck to their helmets and flippers on, tbh.

demonmaster3k
January 27th, 2007, 08:02 AM
actually the facemasks for the humans was inspired from metroid prime, i tried making them with a little resemblence to samus and/or the federation marines

(yea the aliens part is hard, because i dont exactly wanna rip off anything that would have been previously made, but i was kinda using the eldar a bit for their body composition, the eldar are bony and skinny, if you've played 40k)

and no, although this did come after evo, i did not try to steal his material, they are called tidal troopers by the humans, like elites are called split necks. the reason behind this nickname is that since they are an aquatic race, they often do assualts that involve coming up from a beach/lake shore. the waves are called tides right? so these soldiers come up from the tide and that's why they are called tidal troopers.
(of course i think that might have been a bad call, good thing that this is still up in the air an not concrete yet)

but i will take into consideration your criticism, maybe i should make the aliens a little more meaty (i just hope it doesnt make them look too human)

also, keep in mind that this is an entirely custom mod, and will have no relation to the halo series whatsoever (except the engine and code...)
ps: this is a tau:
http://www.nuklearpower.com/images/tau_poster05.jpg
and no, they weren't part of my list of inspirations.

Bodzilla
January 27th, 2007, 09:36 PM
hmm... i reckon aliens have allways looked better when there bigger and more meaty then humans. because it seems like if your a human your battling against the odds to take the race down.

Chunkier ftw

n00b1n8R
January 28th, 2007, 01:55 AM
still say it looks like tau >.>
and that pic makes them look like a bunch of space hippy's (not that they arn't :P )

OMGWTFDUH BODZILLA, NOT ALL ALIENS ARE MUSCLEY, LOOK AT TEH GREYS DAT LANDED AT 51!!!EZLEMANTION MARK!!

(fuck those area51 fanatics >.>)
n00b out

demonmaster3k
January 28th, 2007, 03:52 PM
tau are space hippies, they get their ass kicked in 40k fire warrior
(in the actual game, i hear they're a range race, but that's getting way off topic)

i'm considering taking care of the scronny alien problem editing my plans, and possibly throwing out a couple of conepts. my solution to the scronnyness problem is adding more meaty classes, like special assualt units that are both heavily armed and heavily armored, these new hulking figures are going to be both really powerful and really slow. but i originally intended for this race to be a race that relies on their superior technology rather than meatyness.

still in the end, i'm intending for there to be at least four factions (which will have corrosponding multiplayer levels) within the two races (humans and i named the aquatic ETs Aquarians). once again, this is still in the air and very subject to change, and the last thing i want is to recreate halo... this is intended to be original.

ps: as another note, only the final concepts are photoshopped

Bodzilla
January 30th, 2007, 02:23 AM
still say it looks like tau >.>
and that pic makes them look like a bunch of space hippy's (not that they arn't :P )

OMGWTFDUH BODZILLA, NOT ALL ALIENS ARE MUSCLEY, LOOK AT TEH GREYS DAT LANDED AT 51!!!EZLEMANTION MARK!!

(fuck those area51 fanatics >.>)
n00b out
Since when is an Ethiopian in a grey jumpsuit considered an alien.

n00b1n8R
January 30th, 2007, 04:58 AM
ok. where'd that consipracy theory come from?

Limited
January 30th, 2007, 05:01 AM
They look like that robot in star wars the gold one that anikenh as, so thin and puney. (look as in thin not visual representation :D)

also that top one needs bigger boobs.

Nothertheless nice.

demonmaster3k
January 31st, 2007, 04:13 PM
first of all, i wanted to distinguish masculinity and feminimity within this race, second, i'm redesinging the race to become a faction comprised of 4 races, they are all going to be humanoid, here's the new deal;
(havent established any finalized names yet)

"gator heads" not joking, these dudes have gator heads, and they also are amphibious. they are strong (made them meaty like you guyies requested) and no, they are not etheopian guyies in jumpsuits. i've only made a civilian design so far, once i finish the armored design.

fishies-i intend for this race to have a similar thought process to that of humans (yes they are the dudes that were posted before) but i scrapped those due to their closeness to actual copywrighted material, i feel it would put in question the originality of this planning phase (you zelda fans would know what i'm talking about if i showed the civilian concepts of the current ones... which i'm not going to release)

"shark heads"-this is the faction's freakshow. they really do have shark heads and shark-like skin, but they can also see into other dimensions... (haven't gotten around to drawing them yet)

squids-these guyies are field engineers and cannon fodder. they are going to be weak and have squid-like heads with scronny hunched bodies. (haven't gotten around to drawing they yet either)

as for human concepts, i'm researching current and future 21st century technologies (i need it, my weapon designing sucks). but i intend to have more than just the armored corporate thugs i showed you earlier (might revise those too, got comments that they look more like robots than clones)

i hope you guyies will like the revisions when i post them

Bodzilla
February 1st, 2007, 01:07 AM
first of all, i wanted to distinguish masculinity and feminimity within this race, second, i'm redesinging the race to become a faction comprised of 4 races, they are all going to be humanoid, here's the new deal;
(havent established any finalized names yet)

"gator heads" not joking, these dudes have gator heads, and they also are amphibious. they are strong (made them meaty like you guyies requested) and no, they are not etheopian guyies in jumpsuits. i've only made a civilian design so far, once i finish the armored design.

fishies-i intend for this race to have a similar thought process to that of humans (yes they are the dudes that were posted before) but i scrapped those due to their closeness to actual copywrighted material, i feel it would put in question the originality of this planning phase (you zelda fans would know what i'm talking about if i showed the civilian concepts of the current ones... which i'm not going to release)

"shark heads"-this is the faction's freakshow. they really do have shark heads and shark-like skin, but they can also see into other dimensions... (haven't gotten around to drawing them yet)

squids-these guyies are field engineers and cannon fodder. they are going to be weak and have squid-like heads with scronny hunched bodies. (haven't gotten around to drawing they yet either)

as for human concepts, i'm researching current and future 21st century technologies (i need it, my weapon designing sucks). but i intend to have more than just the armored corporate thugs i showed you earlier (might revise those too, got comments that they look more like robots than clones)

i hope you guyies will like the revisions when i post them
well dudes i'll answer the paragraphs in order

1. cool. ya continueing the work

2. lol u referred to me 2x <3 baby

3. i allways knew those whales and dolphins where evil fuckers!
if your gunna have the fishies as the smart race u need to base them off the smarter animal. allah whales

4. other dimensions???? why not just have them as physical psychos, that just rampage and try and tear u apart.

5. have u considered how your gunna create an animal with 8-10? legs. look at halo, now when u see the MC stand on a hill or cliff one of his feet are buried in the ground while the other is off the ground. having something with that many legs will have half your model floating in the air.

6. new weapons, be careful when selecting them, weapons can make or break games. if i where to suggest something i'd try something like a microwave gun, that dehydrates and stuns them.

In General u seriously need to go back and think about how your gunna do the enemy's. having just humans with different heads is meh...
go back and try and incorporate your ideas further into the model. look at things such as Pirates of the Carabian : dead mans chest. and take careful notice of davy jones and his crew of the undead half fish half lost souls. thats how u should do it

demonmaster3k
February 1st, 2007, 02:37 PM
yea i realised that about throwing animal heads on human bodies, it doesnt work...
many ppls that i showed my newer concepts to (yes i know i didnt post them, but i'll keep going back to the drawing board until i get it right) said that the allegator heads look too much like egyptian mythology.
i do realise that also having multiple legs could get really annoying (and look unrealistic). most likely, i'll place the octopus guyies underwater and have the engine identify them as flying bipeds (ie: sentinels).
rampage, wouldnt that make them like the brutes... bullet sponges

it's not a sea of x like someone else stated, but the plan will not work unless i doctor it (fixing this problem might be harder than i thought... this could take a while)