PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of CMT?

Btd69
January 28th, 2007, 06:19 AM
I think this might make for some decent discussion, unlike the "do you like me?" threads :P

Personally, I dislike the fact they chose H2 as the mod they made, because with the talent of the team, they could have done so much more. However, they have released countless maps which in my opinion, for the most part have the same quality as that of bungie-created maps. Lately they have let me down with some of their content and 'placeholders', but who knows what's in store for their future releases in H2V?

Side note; this isn't a 'hate on individual members' topic, so try to keep comments generalized.

Atty
January 28th, 2007, 06:28 AM
I've never been impressed by any of their releases.

rossmum
January 28th, 2007, 06:29 AM
The team has plenty of talent and on the whole the end product is good (nothing spectacular however), their main problem is releasing too soon (seemingly to shut the fucking fanboys up), which means a lot of the maps are clearly unfinished or buggy as all hell. If they took more time and relied less on recreating H2 or H3 content, they'd be much better off.

Reaper Man
January 28th, 2007, 07:05 AM
I've never been impressed by any of their releases.

Limited
January 28th, 2007, 08:04 AM
They are halo fans, they love halo 1 and play halo 2.

Halo 2 wasnt as great as halo 1 in most peoples opinons, so bring halo 2 to halo 1 is a great idea.

I admit the last few releases have been pretty boring, and the new coag is just wow totally screwed but meh :D

rossmum
January 28th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I have to disagree. Bringing Halo 2 into Halo just seems so utterly pointless and stupid... why bring the newer game to the older engine? It doesn't even play the same, so "I don't have Halo 2" is no real justification...

Arteen
January 28th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I don't really care about the mod. I just like to make maps. I do agree that our team could make some neat things if we tried to create new weapons and vehicles instead of copy Halo 2 and 3 content, although we have created some neat things by copying said content.

DECOY
January 28th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Everyone seems to have forgotten already that for a long time there was no prospect of halo 2 for pc being released. I think Building a set of H2 style maps was a great idea.

As a Halo mapping team, theres no question CMT will have a head start on H2v, just based on the work they have already done with CE.
anyhoo, to answer the question, What do I think of CMT.

I say "Hell Yeah!" quit whining and let them get on with the next map.

DaneO'Roo
January 28th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I hate those cunts

=P

Nah, I guess people have winged and whined about us recreating halo 2 and halo 3 shit, but hell, we've done a damn good job of them. We wanted to bring a lil halo 2 and Halo 3 to our CE experience, and theres nothing wrong with that.
We're just halo fans, and were just making the current game different, weve set ourselves goals, it hasn't been easy, but we've all evolved in skill along the way, and will get us well grounded for halo 2 Vista. Alot of big things are going to happen in H2V, but until then, we wanted to make something big for CE.
It's purely for the love of creating something. If at least one person likes it, it's done its job

Stealth
January 28th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I liked CMT's beta maps more then the released ones, the skins look good, the models look good, but the tags, and some of the gametype settings are scred up, and I've pointed it out to Masterz every time I test one of the new maps.
He only tests, CTF, Slayer, KotH, Race, and Odd Ball, and he only test Game types with just RLs or Snipers, and he dosen't test any of the others, when the public beta maps were out, CMT's server was running CTF 24/7, I don't know about you guys, but when I play CTF more then 5 times in a row, it gets very boring.

Atty
January 28th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I guess people have winged and whined about us recreating halo 2 and halo 3 shit, but hell, we've done a damn good job of them. Not really.

We wanted to bring a lil halo 2 and Halo 3 to our CE experience, and theres nothing wrong with that. Yes, there is something wrong with that. It's when you do a piss poor job of it.

It could be that CMT has some talented members but all I've seen from them is a lot of hype and then disappointing releases.

rossmum
January 28th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Everyone seems to have forgotten already that for a long time there was no prospect of halo 2 for pc being released. I think Building a set of H2 style maps was a great idea.

As a Halo mapping team, theres no question CMT will have a head start on H2v, just based on the work they have already done with CE.
anyhoo, to answer the question, What do I think of CMT.

I say "Hell Yeah!" quit whining and let them get on with the next map.
Yeah, but there were projects like Halo 2 Source, Halo 2 CE and the old CMT maps back then. Now, we know Halo 2 is coming to PC.

In any case, Halo 2 stuff on CE doesn't feel right at all. If you want to play Halo 2, go play Halo 2. Playing it on CE doesn't even come close to the Halo 2 experience.

Arteen
January 28th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Playing it on CE doesn't even come close to the Halo 2 experience.
That's a bad thing?

rossmum
January 28th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Yeah, because despite Halo 2 generally being considered the worst of the two, I found H2 maps on CE to be the lowest in terms of fun, playability, and faitfulness. I can't remember a single map that got it right.

Limited
January 28th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Name me a map team that has released say 5 or more maps that havent been based on a different game.

Wait, let me rephrase that, name me a map team that has made and released more than 5 maps, apart from h2ce

None? yup...cmt and h2ce are the only ones i can think of

rossmum
January 28th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Is that really all that relevant...? Quality > quantity.

Stormwing
January 28th, 2007, 11:09 AM
While in terms of gameplay and enjoyment, yeah, in many instances it's lacking. If you ask me though, I personally enjoy the majority of the CMT weapon set over both H2's (obviously) and H1's. Note that the only H2 weapons are the SMG and BR, and the BR differs with the grenade launcher. Also, from a purely artistic standpoint, I think it's rather well done.

I guess the multiplayer is where it's all lacking, and I agree the maps in general are not very fun...although I do love playing CMT_Dissolusion. I think more interesting and fresh multiplayer maps and even more revamped SP campaign is what CMT needs.

I don't think of it as an "halo 2 for ce" project. It's just a custom weapon set inspired by all three Halos, so the important thing isn't weapons but maps.

Oh, and I agree with btd, but hey, I don't think there's that much wrong with it. It's not like we still have H2CE still making H2 stuff, and CMT isn't h2-only.

Atty
January 28th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Name me a map team that has released say 5 or more maps that havent been based on a different game.

Wait, let me rephrase that, name me a map team that has made and released more than 5 maps, apart from h2ce

None? yup...cmt and h2ce are the only ones i can think ofThat's nice. I don't remember anyone asking for the teams that have released a lot of maps.

Limited
January 28th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Thats why i fucking did...

Atty
January 28th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Thats why i fucking did...Why? What difference does the amount of released work have? Quality > Quantity.

Limited
January 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Laugh,

Quantity = Not just a one map team, they can actually pull off great maps numerous times.

A team that maps, not a team that just makes one map

Atty
January 28th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Laugh,

Quantity = Not just a one map team, they can actually pull off great maps numerous times.

A team that maps, not a team that just makes one mapAm I the only one that has no idea what he is talking about?

Although the one thing I can make out, "great maps". I've never seen one great map from CMT.

rossmum
January 28th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Laugh,

A team that maps, not a team that just makes one map
I'd rather see one absolutely stunning map (Portent, anyone?) than a whole stack of mediocre or merely good maps. Some of CMT's maps are good, though not spectacular; some are terrible. If there was a little more work put in before they were released then it'd be more like consistently good rather than all over the place.

Masterz1337
January 28th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I don't think of it as an "halo 2 for ce" project. It's just a custom weapon set inspired by all three Halos, so the important thing isn't weapons but maps.

Pretty much, we don't want halo 2 or halo 3. Ours is a Halo Series based mod, it's alot more aparent in SP than it is in MP, because in MP you can only have so many weapons to make the gameplay fun and ballanced. If we were making a H2 or H3 mod, we would have put in destroyable vehicles, fake dual wielding.

With SP we can do alot more, and unlike MP, where you are only fighting other players, who have the same weakness to weapons as you, in SP you have a myriad of enemies, and it's fun to invent and add new weapons that can counter each enemy. We havent forgotten things like the sluggun, the portable turret, or anti aircraft RL.

Limited
January 28th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I'd rather see one absolutely stunning map (Portent, anyone?) than a whole stack of mediocre or merely good maps. Some of CMT's maps are good, though not spectacular; some are terrible. If there was a little more work put in before they were released then it'd be more like consistently good rather than all over the place.Eurjuke or however his name is spelled is an exceptional mapper :D

Launch bay was better than portent I think. All his maps however havent been played enough :(

rossmum
January 28th, 2007, 11:48 AM
@ Masters: Just do us a favour and take your time with the SP. Release it when it's done.
@ 9mm: Yeah. LBX used to be great fun back in the day... 10-cap CTF with the GBX guys.

Masterz1337
January 28th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Multiplayer was done as well, minus the 2 bad sounds, and the bad item collection on disso.

Limited
January 28th, 2007, 11:50 AM
and the washed out coag walls and ground texture

Masterz1337
January 28th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Things you would have done differntly are not bugs.

rossmum
January 28th, 2007, 12:08 PM
They aren't exactly what I'd call complete though, stuff like that gives the feel of a rush job.

Limited
January 28th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Things you would have done differntly are not bugs.
you said done well. Not "no bugs were present"

just because theres no bugs, doesnt mean the map is finished..

Masterz1337
January 28th, 2007, 12:27 PM
For us, nothing is ever complete. Everyone on the team thinks we could do better on everything in the mod, but we have to say enough is enough, we have something good, it's time to release it. We spent 6 months looking at our content and saying that it could be better, lets redo it. We went through so many sets of BRG anims, I can't even count, saying 7 or 8 is an understatement.

rossmum
January 28th, 2007, 12:30 PM
I know exactly what you mean. But I personally would rather wait another 1-3 months and get a far better end product.

Stealth
January 28th, 2007, 12:31 PM
ya, and why was the Sentinial Beam tags even in the Map tags for dissolution, that would of keeped the Sentinial Beam from spawning, and why in the hell is the Human tank tags in Icy Swamps?
And one more thing, CHECK YOU GAME TYPE SETTINGS FOR SOME OF THE GOD DANM WEAPONS!!!!!!!!!!
last time I check, the BR wasn't a god danm Plasma Weapon, or a RL, same with the AR, I want you to check all of the Weapon settings, and fix them, I want you to make CMT more like a god danm team, Masterz Mapping Team (only with out the 'Team' part) that'll help alot.

Masterz1337
January 28th, 2007, 12:33 PM
We thought about it, but then we wanted to give people plenty of time to play MP, and still have time to fully work on the new SP before H2V.

@Stealth, the weapons that are spawned for gametypes is based on the globals. Theres no drop down menu box or a way to say what gametype a weapon belongs in, when it comes to plasma weapons only.

The sentinial beam was referanced in the Silenced SMG tags, I have no idea how it happened.

And the human tank is in Icy because we wanted it in there. If you don't want it, dont referance human tanks in your gametype.

Limited
January 28th, 2007, 12:33 PM
For us, nothing is ever complete. Everyone on the team thinks we could do better on everything in the mod, but we have to say enough is enough, we have something good, it's time to release it. We spent 6 months looking at our content and saying that it could be better, lets redo it. We went through so many sets of BRG anims, I can't even count, saying 7 or 8 is an understatement.Thats why you need to prioritize things.

Things that definatly needed working on and things that if spare time adjust them.

rossmum
January 28th, 2007, 12:36 PM
We thought about it, but then we wanted to give people plenty of time to play MP, and still have time to fully work on the new SP before H2V.
I wouldn't even try to rush it out before H2V, to be honest with you. I'd rather ensure it is completed to its full potential so that even though it takes longer, the end product more than compensates for the wait.

Arteen
January 28th, 2007, 12:48 PM
...why in the hell...GOD DANM WEAPONS!...god danm Plasma Weapon...god danm team...
Calm down, seriously (and type better). Besides, we can't do a thing about modified weapon gametypes. Blame Halo, not us.

Could someone be so kind as to clearly list out what is wrong or improvable with the CMT mod so will be better-able to improve it?

Chewy Gumball
January 28th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I think the set release dates are too early. The mod could have been much better if it had been worked on more. The quality is decent, but I wouldn't say up to bungie's quality on most things. Shiny /= better .

rossmum
January 28th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I think the set release dates are too early. The mod could have been much better if it had been worked on more. The quality is decent, but I wouldn't say up to bungie's quality on most things. Shiny /= better .
Sums up what I was about to say perfectly.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
January 28th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I hate CMT, it's horrid.

Bodzilla
January 28th, 2007, 01:27 PM
CMT does do good work, some of the individual members do fuck the maps up.
I've never really liked any of the CMT maps, it just doent feel like i'm playing halo....
and CMT has had huge problems with Layouts, Weapon placements and balancing in 90% of there new maps.

If they worked on Balancing the Maps they made it'd be shitloads better

Arteen
January 28th, 2007, 02:12 PM
That doesn't help. Anything specific?

Chewy Gumball
January 28th, 2007, 02:24 PM
The sounds were really yucky for the most part. Some of the modified shaders looked worse, especially the bump maps. Animations were sufficient, not awesome. TSC's sky, while visually impressive in the cutscene, hindered gameplay because it was too dark on one side of the island. The shield shader was too dense, at least for me. I like to see through it to what I am shooting. The spartan henchmen? More gimmicky than anything really.

I'm sure there would be more things if I went and played through it again, but I think thats enough. The polish wasn't there, and I think it was because they were too focused on getting it released when they said they would and not giving time to polish things up. The meat is there, but the nice grill marks aren't.

rossmum
January 28th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Shaders need work, balancing needs a bit of work, some things just seem like mock-ups rather than final content.

Masterz1337
January 28th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Neither of those help. You want us to fix stuff, point out EXACTLY what it is.

rossmum
January 28th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Cubemaps look like they're on top of the textures, i.e. they completely gloss out the detail. Some of the weapons (such as the Spiker) just seem plain and lacking in details from a FP perspective.

Masterz1337
January 28th, 2007, 03:15 PM
That STILL doesn't help. Tell use which objects, which weapons.

Corgy
January 28th, 2007, 03:23 PM
i guess they are ok they took the best map from Halo 2 and put it in Halo 1 making the BEST map experience ever http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1171/smithrockud8.gif

Btd69
January 28th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Thank you rossmum for keeping it generalized..