PDA

View Full Version : Trying to bring my old Shuttle back to life.

Zeph
February 2nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
As the thread title says, I'm trying to bring my old Shuttle back to life. It served me well since a few months before I joined GBX/CE, but was unplugged last spring as I bought the notebook I'm currently on and didn't want to waste power. I'm wanting to pick it back up and use it to some extent, but I'm getting some problems.

First thing I did was take the components out and air dust it. I replaced the half-dead CPU fan and cleared the airways to and from the CPU cooling system. I replaced all the components and ensured the AGP card and RAM was locked in place. When I plugged it in and turned it on, I noticed the monitor was showing no activity. I turned the Shuttle off and switched the monitor plug into the integrated graphics port, but the monitor showed no activity once again when I restarted the computer. I took out the AGP card and tried again with the monitor plugged into the integrated graphics port, but still didn't get any activity with the monitor. I tried the process again, but using two monitors. Both monitors still showed no activity and stayed in standby mode.

Any ideas? I'd really like to get this machine back up and running.

legionaire45
February 2nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
Try:

reseting the CMOS.
replacing the motherboard battery.
using a different PSU and seeing if the PSU died while it was sitting on it's own.
I'm assuming this is an older rig (it would be good if you posted some specs) so check for leaking/popped capacitors.
using different memory

Zeph
February 2nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
It's old, but not ancient. It's comparable to some of the older computers you'd find in schools.

The mobo/PSU is the Shuttle ST61G4
2.8GHz Pentium 4 (Northwood)
2 x 256MB DDR 800
IDE HDD and DVD drive
AIW 9800 Pro
SB Audigy 2

Checking the mobo battery would probably be the best thing to do. I dont think it's ever been replaced.

CrAsHOvErRide
February 3rd, 2008, 01:49 AM
The condensators next to the CPU socket are manufactured so that when they warranty runs out, they break to.

I had the same symptoms with my own Mobo and mine was only 1 year old (lucky warranty ran out 2 weeks afterwards ;)) I had to replace the complete mobo.

Syuusuke
February 3rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
The condensators next to the CPU socket are manufactured so that when they warranty runs out, they break to.
What's the reason for that?

thehoodedsmack
February 3rd, 2008, 12:45 PM

I believe that was a joke. And if it were to be implemented, the reason would be so you'd have to buy a new one, while the manufacturer wouldn't have to replace it.

Zeph
March 28th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Finally managed to get to WalMart and buy a new 2032 battery and plug it into the mainboard. The Shuttle POSTed and came back to life ^_^.

I have 5.1 speakers and a working microphone now ^_^
now playing: Battlestar Galactica Season Two Soundtrack - Track 05 Allegro

'tis wonderful.

CrAsHOvErRide
March 29th, 2008, 06:32 AM
So you have to buy a new one when the benefits of getting it replaced by warranty runs out.

Also, many people might not know this, but an average light bulb could last up to 40 years...now imagine if we would spent 2$ on a light bulb that's going to last 40 years...the companies couldn't make a profit out of it. What they did is they international unified and set the average time a light bulb lasts to 2 years by manufacturing them with less quality. I know it's off-topic but I think this is interesting. ;)

And...wow gratz on getting it working again. :)
I would have never thought that this tiny battery could make such a big difference...I always thought it might get recharged when having a power-plug attached...guess I was wrong. :D